ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't ND be more like Ohio State or Alabama?

Johnny Fairplay

Irish Expert
Nov 17, 2014
These two programs are clearly the gold standard. ND doesn't seem to be able to compete with the big boys anymore.

These two programs are clearly the gold standard. ND doesn't seem to be able to compete with the big boys anymore.

State-Department-under-Hillary-Clinton-Army-Documents-Indicate-They-are-Just-Fine-with-Pedophilia-600x400.jpg

Coaching Kelly = average
7 years and still hasn't won anything of significance,yet ND fans still pretend like he is a elite coach

Reactions: cgvr
The offense is where it needs to be and the defense is nowhere near being a championship caliber d. They had a top defense it seems like once in the last 10 years and that was in 2012 and they made the NC game.

As badly as I want ND to win a NC I'm happy if they start to produce 10 win seasons year after year. This program is to a point now where 10 wins is the minimum for me now.

tOSU or Bama?

I still can't grasp the reality that Strong took a Texas team (described by our posters as a dumpter fire) and 3 Septembers later pantsed' Kelly &Co. who are coaching the 7th year at ND
ND should be 2-0, headed to 3-0!
So next time 'that poster' , posts that Kelly himself is is good for 1 loss: believe it!

I hear those schools are always looking for new fans. Go join them. ND set their course when they picked an outsider over Ara's five star field general Tom Pagna in 1975. They said that they wanted to take ND Football in a different direction and they sure did that fans. Seven losing seasons and numerous even w/l seasons and one win over .500 seasons. This program was broke and dead in the water before Coach Kelly took over. He may not be a Dan Devine or Lou Holtz but he's light years ahead of the other clowns since Ara left. Coach Kelly's story is a long way from being finished at ND.
So since Kelly is better than TY and Weis so its ok for ND to be a marginal program? Kelly has had 7 years and ND is still losing to teams with True Frosh QB, 1st year o Cord and true frosh center?
ND is a blue blood program and since they will not join a conference their only goal is a national title or at least major bowl wins. Kelly has proven he can not accomplish this at ND. How much time will he be given? Every year with Kelly is a year further away from ND being elite again. I don't think there are magical answers and I have no idea who the next great coach is but ND is just accepting mediocrity with Kelly at the helm. Programs like Michigan, Bama and OSU want National titles and did everything in their power to make that possible, ND can not say the same.

Reactions: cgvr
So since Kelly is better than TY and Weis so its ok for ND to be a marginal program? Kelly has had 7 years and ND is still losing to teams with True Frosh QB, 1st year o Cord and true frosh center?
ND is a blue blood program and since they will not join a conference their only goal is a national title or at least major bowl wins. Kelly has proven he can not accomplish this at ND. How much time will he be given? Every year with Kelly is a year further away from ND being elite again. I don't think there are magical answers and I have no idea who the next great coach is but ND is just accepting mediocrity with Kelly at the helm. Programs like Michigan, Bama and OSU want National titles and did everything in their power to make that possible, ND can not say the same.

Go worry about Florida.

Reactions: HRC08

So whom do you suggest ND should hire as a replacement?

I think we've seen under Kelly that he has gotten a few talented kids in that wouldn't have gotten in before because of academics. Then look at all the academic casualties we've had recently.

ND and Stanford are both showing you can win 9-10 games and occasionally win 11 or 12 with players that are capable of (and want to) handle the academic riggers. Asking either to be Ohio St or Alabama is a bit much. A lot of those players just don't want the academic challenge that comes at ND or Stanford. Sure, it's easy for a fan to just write "NO EXCUSES" in all caps, but that's not reality.

Also, Saban and Meyer are rare breeds of coach. They've accounted for 7 of the last 10 national championships. So it's not just ND having a hard time.

tOSU or Bama?

I still can't grasp the reality that Strong took a Texas team (described by our posters as a dumpter fire) and 3 Septembers later pantsed' Kelly &Co. who are coaching the 7th year at ND
ND should be 2-0, headed to 3-0!
So next time 'that poster' , posts that Kelly himself is is good for 1 loss: believe it!

Pantsed? Idk about that but yeah, it was an upset of sorts. Even though Texas has recruited as good as Notre Dame and they had the advantage of an A+crowd. Lastly, Strong isn't the normal 3rd year coach. He's been around for a long, long time. Coaching stops under Holtz (I think? South Carolina) and Urban Meyer.

The loss sucked. I didn't see it coming but I also got over it quicker then I normally do.

Beating Michigan State will completely wipe it from my memory.

Last edited:
Coaching Kelly = average
7 years and still hasn't won anything of significance,yet ND fans still pretend like he is a elite coach
I don't ......he sucks.

He's a gran valley state lifer. I'm all about giving people opportunity. He deserved a chance up to his hiring. But it's long enough now. Elite is above his reach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT