ADVERTISEMENT

Stating the Obvious, ND needs an elite "college" QB

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
The current ND QBs (including Carr) have no business being on a full ride scholarship at ND. That is of course if ND wants to be an elite program.

These QBs seem like nice young men. They work hard and they love Notre Dame. This post is NOT a personal attack on these young men. College football is a business periode. This is not personal it's just business.

TB, Pyne and Carr are all average QBs that are not elite college QBs. I am not saying ND needs 1st round NFL talent at QB, although that would be nice. Just be elite at the college level.

TB and DP would not start at QB ON any of NDs first 3 opponents.

Why in the world is ND recruiting this type of low end tallent at QB? Carr is just as average as these two guys. The only hope for Carr is he will not see the field until 2026. So he has time to improve.

ND will only be as good as their QB play.

The current ND QBs (including Carr) have no business being on a full ride scholarship at ND. That is of course if ND wants to be an elite program.

These QBs seem like nice young men. They work hard and they love Notre Dame. This post is NOT a personal attack on these young men. College football is a business periode. This is not personal it's just business.

TB, Pyne and Carr are all average QBs that are not elite college QBs. I am not saying ND needs 1st round NFL talent at QB, although that would be nice. Just be elite at the college level.

Why in the world is ND recruiting this type of low end tallent at QB? Carr is just as average as these two guys. The only hope for Carr is he will not see the field until 2026. So he has time to improve.

So, you think you know more about Carr than the coaches from Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, etc. that offered him? I for one am glad we have an expert like you on this board to keep it real.

Link:

Personally I think Carr has way more potential than anyone who has come in in quite a while. He looks legit to me. Time will tell.

You could be right, but you have a history of being wrong frequently.
Yup, wrong a lot when it comes to predictions lately lol. However, there is no predicting when you can already see the evidence on the field. I cannot remember a worst start for a ND QB than what DP had last week.

So, you think you know more about Carr than the coaches from Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, etc. that offered him? I for one am glad we have an expert like you on this board to keep it real.

Link:
This is what I believe.

Carr is average periode. I have seen him play multiple times in person. I have talked to multiple people that have watched him play in person. The competition he plays against is average. His team will go 9-0 regular season but will not make it out of the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.

Everyone around where I live cannot believe ND offered him. But like I said, he will not see the field at ND until 2026. So he can improve. No way he starts as a freshman.

Personally I think Carr has way more potential than anyone who has come in in quite a while. He looks legit to me. Time will te

Personally I think Carr has way more potential than anyone who has come in in quite a while. He looks legit to me. Time will tell.
I do not believe he is better than or will be better than TB. 100% just my opinion. Living in Michigan and having 2 son's that played football here and one that still does, I see all the talent first hand. I have nothing against Carr. I wish I thought as highly of him as Tommy does lol. But the young man is not the answer. Now, Donte Moore from King high school headed to the Ducks, he is the real deal. Carr is no where close to that. If CJ played the competition that Donte play's, we would not be talking about CJ right now.

This is what I believe.

Carr is average periode. I have seen him play multiple times in person. I have talked to multiple people that have watched him play in person. The competition he plays against is average. His team will go 9-0 regular season but will not make it out of the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs.

Everyone around where I live cannot believe ND offered him. But like I said, he will not see the field at ND until 2026. So he can improve. No way he starts as a freshman.
I don't get the knock on Carr for two reasons: First, he is in high school...not done developing mentally or physically combined with experience...and Two: Given this team's penchant for keeping the best quarterback on the bench...assuming Carr is that good, he won't be playing anyway.

DP’s completion percentage is 69.0 % and his QB rating is 145.4 !

Those are very good stats for any QB !

According to your standards and expectations, what should his stats have been ?

DP’s completion percentage is 69.0 % and his QB rating is 145.4 !

Those are very good stats for any QB !

According to your standards and expectations, what should his stats have been ?
Please tell me you are not happy with the ND QB performance? ND has zero deep ball capability. Everything is dink and dump. Not good my friend.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I don't get the knock on Carr for two reasons: First, he is in high school...not done developing mentally or physically combined with experience...and Two: Given this team's penchant for keeping the best quarterback on the bench...assuming Carr is that good, he won't be playing anyway.
My knock on Carr is he is not a game changer. He is a game manager, that's it. ND needs a game changer at QB. Carr is a great young man. Works hard, will give everything he has. However, he will not be an elite college QB. No one in my area of the State believes he will be an elite college QB. Look at the competition he is playing against. Tiny CBs covering his 6'3 WRs. Zero pass rush.

Again, I have been wrong a lot lately so i could definitely be wrong about Carr.

All's I know is if ND is banking on CJ Carr skipping his senior year of HS, which was certainly not the original plan, to step in and take over as a de facto HS senior, and TB is already being written off as damaged goods, that is going to be the kiss of death for the MF regime, if it isn't doomed already.

Hit the transfer portal, MF, if you're that desperate. Do not put all your eggs in this poor kid's basket, and do NOT make him skip his senior of HS. If you don't see how effed up that is, then you're more naive and unsuited to be a HC at a place like ND than I thought.

ND needs to get up to speed with the transfer portal in any case, if they plan on staying relevant, such relevance which is very quickly turning to dust sans BK... So get out there and make it happen, there's absolutely no excuse for doing otherwise if the need is felt. We already did it with Jack Coan, so it's not like we don't know what it looks like...

Reactions: 4-4-3
All's I know is if ND is banking on CJ Carr skipping his senior year of HS, which was certainly not the original plan, to step in and take over as a de facto HS senior, and TB is already being written off as damaged goods, that is going to be the kiss of death for the MF regime, if it isn't doomed already.

Hit the transfer portal, MF, if you're that desperate. Do not put all your eggs in this poor kid's basket, and do NOT make him skip his senior of HS. If you don't see how effed up that is, then you're more naive and unsuited to be a HC at a place like ND than I thought.

ND needs to get up to speed with the transfer portal in any case, if they plan on staying relevant, such relevance which is very quickly turning to dust sans BK... So get out there and make it happen, there's absolutely no excuse for doing otherwise if the need is felt. We already did it with Jack Coan, so it's not like we don't know what it looks like...
No way in the world will Carr skip senior year. Also, no way he starts as a freshman at ND. Yes, at this point hit the transfer portal for a QB. Marshal has a better QB room than ND.

It is seriously pretty messed up IMO that there's all this talk that Carr is just going to skip his senior year in HS, and that he's going to do so because ND failed to recruit a QB on their own, and so Carr's just going to have to strap it on and head to ND early. Change of plans.... These fans sound like a bunch of drug addicts and junkies talking about some big score that's going to solve all their problems, while meanwhile their lives are collapsing around them....

It really is a horribly bad, ominous sign for the MF regime. So if TB just ain't good enough anymore, hit the goddamn transfer portal. I don't who's going to be available, but there presumably will be somebody and ND will just need to make it happen....

Notre Dame needs to set up a parallel academic stream for Football players if we want to compete. I have not said this in the past pre transfer portal but now it is obvious if you cannot bring in 2nd or 3rd year transfers to plug holes are upgrade you are doomed to mediocrity. It was one thing for the Bama's of the world to bring in Juco players...who were now men...it is another to bring in starters from other D1 teams and plug them in.

Who knows what CJ will do, maybe he decommits for all we know. You cant be sure so MF has to protect ND's interest and go to the portal and grab 1 legit starter. TB will be back, that gives you a backup and CJ comes in the following year. I don't see any way ND doesn't need two Portal QB's for the next 2 years.

They have to modernized across the board. Go grab 20, 4/5 star athletes and add 4-8 portal players. That/s just how you have to do it in 2022+

Reactions: Zorich 88

Carr is an elite prospect. Buchner is a question mark. Agree on Pyne

Carr is an elite prospect. Buchner is a question mark. Agree on Pyne
I hope your right about Carr. However, in my neck of the woods people are shocked he got an ND offer. Remember, Tommy is the same guy that gave TB, DP and Angeli a full ride scholarship. Man I hope I am 100% wrong about Carr. I just don't see it. I saw him play last Friday night, nothing jaw dropping about him. The comp he plays' against is bad to average. He has not played against one D1 defensive player all season. Again, he will not be asked to play until 2026 so he has time to improve. But a portal guy will have to show up on campus next season.

I hope your right about Carr. However, in my neck of the woods people are shocked he got an ND offer. Remember, Tommy is the same guy that gave TB, DP and Angeli a full ride scholarship. Man I hope I am 100% wrong about Carr. I just don't see it. I saw him play last Friday night, nothing jaw dropping about him. The comp he plays' against is bad to average. He has not played against one D1 defensive player all season. Again, he will not be asked to play until 2026 so he has time to improve. But a portal guy will have to show up on campus next season.
Competition means nothing. You are looking for ability and tools. He has them

This is what I believe.

One thing I did notice in a small sample, however. His release looks a little slow. He's obviously very polished. But sometimes that can lend itself to topping out at 18.

Are people in your neck of the woods shocked he also has offers from Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and many more? Are they shocked he's a 5* recruit, and not 2*?

One thing I did notice in a small sample, however. His release looks a little slow. He's obviously very polished. But sometimes that can lend itself to topping out at 18.
I’ll say this - any QB needs a solid OLine that can protect n pick up stunts. Ours flat out sux. How about we start there.

Tired of the Harry bs. My eyes don’t lie

Competition means nothing. You are looking for ability and tools. He has them
Competition means nothing? If ND beats 3 teams that have zero wins, are we excited about those wins? Or are we saying we have to wait until they play some real competition? Bama beat Louisiana Monroe last week 63-7 is that the same as beating Georgia 63-7?

Are people in your neck of the woods shocked he also has offers from Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and many more? Are they shocked he's a 5* recruit, and not 2*?
Bama will not give him a scholarship. They offer a lot of people. They also pull offers or get "cold". Bama also offered Pyne. If the player never visited the campus, the school was not that interested.

Competition means nothing? If ND beats 3 teams that have zero wins, are we excited about those wins? Or are we saying we have to wait until they play some real competition? Bama beat Louisiana Monroe last week 63-7 is that the same as beating Georgia 63-7?
When you are evaluating players it means nothing. You cant be that ignorant with that post. Conparing teams and evaluating a player. Come on dont be a tool

Just like in the nfl, you can find players from low level fbc and fcs. You just have to be able to evaluate talent. Ability tools. Arch doesn't play very good comp. A lot of players are in bad leagues.

You have to be able to evaluate

Carr is a stud. He destroyed Nico at the Elite 11. He's better than Dante Moore. I think he will be better than Clausen. Reminds me of Matt Ryan. I think he's without a doubt the second best QB in the nation for '24. He is the most talented QB we've had since Clausen and it's not even close.

Reactions: tbone3114
The offering of a scholarship to any player is not a one man decision. It's a cumulative effort across the board. Recruiting has many moving parts at this level.

When you are evaluating players it means nothing. You cant be that ignorant with that post. Conparing teams and evaluating a player. Come on dont be a tool

Just like in the nfl, you can find players from low level fbc and fcs. You just have to be able to evaluate talent. Ability tools. Arch doesn't play very good comp. A lot of players are in bad leagues.

You have to be able to evaluate
So, a QB that faces little to no pass rush because the competition is not good means nothing? The team he play's tonight has not won a game all season. Last game they lost by 5 TDs. Who cares how good a guy looks against their little brother.

Ability and tools are best judged under adverse situations.

Carr is a stud. He destroyed Nico at the Elite 11. He's better than Dante Moore. I think he will be better than Clausen. Reminds me of Matt Ryan. I think he's without a doubt the second best QB in the nation for '24. He is the most talented QB we've had since Clausen and it's not even close.
You know this because?

So, a QB that faces little to no pass rush because the competition is not good means nothing? The team he play's tonight has not won a game all season. Last game they lost by 5 TDs. Who cares how good a guy looks against their little brother.

Ability and tools are best judged under adverse situations.
I've seen a few games and highlights. He saw plenty of pass rush.

In a perfect world all the best hs players play against the other best hs players and evaluating players is easy for everyone. That's not reality. Plenty of kids play in terrible competition. Hall of fame players played in small high schools, fcs or hbcu schools.

If you have the talent, you have the talent. Carr has it

CJ Carr is the highest rated QB ND has had committed since Gunner Kiel...and that is by a lot. CJ though isn't the flake that Kiel was, we were Kiel's third school he committed too, and he never met a school he didn't like. CJ today is ranked higher by a couple of services then Kiel was, and Kiel was a five star and considered elite.

It seems fans that don't want to consider Carr an elite QB have a real ax to grind on what I have no clue. CJ's a junior whose talents are obvious, how is he not elite as the #15 player in the nation, and #4 QB? What some people will only call him elite if he's #1? Guys say CJ Stroud was elite and he was ranked #51 in the nation 4th best QB in his class. Again, just axes to grind. Hard to say which QB will be better, so much goes into being a good QB including the offense and athletes around you, but CJ has shown a willingness to sling the ball down the field, extreme accuracy, and to throw a receiver open....that's what I look for in a HS QB. Not worried as much about the occasional INT in HS providing it doesn't rattle the kid and he continues to be aggressive pushing the ball down field.

247 Ranking
Elite 11 news
I can appreciate the high hopes you have. But man, you are giving a 17 year old kid a lot to live up to.

I am from Michigan. No one and I mean no one that follows high school sports in Michigan would put Carr over Donte Moore. There is zero comparison, it’s not even close.

Matt Ryan? Reminds you of Matt Ryan??? Come on really? Already comparing him to NFL grown man talent???

Jimmy? Nope, he is not as good as Jimmy. Jimmy was more accurate and had a quicker release.

Best since Jimmy??? 😂 😂 😂 He is no where close to Kizer, Golson, Zaire, Book or even Whimbush.

You are crazy if you think he will be better than Book. Book was the best QB ND has had since Brady.

Oh and Phil is better than Carr.

I've seen a few games and highlights. He saw plenty of pass rush.

In a perfect world all the best hs players play against the other best hs players and evaluating players is easy for everyone. That's not reality. Plenty of kids play in terrible competition. Hall of fame players played in small high schools, fcs or hbcu schools.

If you have the talent, you have the talent. Carr has it
I agree “if you have the talent”. But I end your quote there. Carr is not a game changer. Nothing elite about him.

CJ Carr is the highest rated QB ND has had committed since Gunner Kiel...and that is by a lot. CJ though isn't the flake that Kiel was, we were Kiel's third school he committed too, and he never met a school he didn't like. CJ today is ranked higher by a couple of services then Kiel was, and Kiel was a five star and considered elite.

It seems fans that don't want to consider Carr an elite QB have a real ax to grind on what I have no clue. CJ's a junior whose talents are obvious, how is he not elite as the #15 player in the nation, and #4 QB? What some people will only call him elite if he's #1? Guys say CJ Stroud was elite and he was ranked #51 in the nation 4th best QB in his class. Again, just axes to grind. Hard to say which QB will be better, so much goes into being a good QB including the offense and athletes around you, but CJ has shown a willingness to sling the ball down the field, extreme accuracy, and to throw a receiver open....that's what I look for in a HS QB. Not worried as much about the occasional INT in HS providing it doesn't rattle the kid and he continues to be aggressive pushing the ball down field.
I have zero axe to grind with Carr. I have seen the kid play since he was 13. Never, and I mean never, did anyone in the Ann Arbor area ever say Carr is an elite talent. Everyone knew Michigan would offer him because of his Grandpa. No clue what Tommy sees in him.

He simply is not the type of QB/player that will elevate your program to the next level. That is my biggest knock on recruiting him.

I can appreciate the high hopes you have. But man, you are giving a 17 year old kid a lot to live up to.

I am from Michigan. No one and I mean no one that follows high school sports in Michigan would put Carr over Donte Moore. There is zero comparison, it’s not even close.

Matt Ryan? Reminds you of Matt Ryan??? Come on really? Already comparing him to NFL grown man talent???

Jimmy? Nope, he is not as good as Jimmy. Jimmy was more accurate and had a quicker release.

Best since Jimmy??? 😂 😂 😂 He is no where close to Kizer, Golson, Zaire, Book or even Whimbush.

You are crazy if you think he will be better than Book. Book was the best QB ND has had since Brady.

Oh and Phil is better than Carr.
So much wrong here is laughable. Just because you have an opinion you think it is fact. Just like we'll run for 300 years against osu, their defense stinks and their lbs lack talent?

I dont think you said anything in there that was accurate. Nice job

I agree “if you have the talent”. But I end your quote there. Carr is not a game changer. Nothing elite about him.
His mechanics and his throwing motion and accuracy are elite. His other traits are really good.

Wrong again

I have zero axe to grind with Carr. I have seen the kid play since he was 13. Never, and I mean never, did anyone in the Ann Arbor area ever say Carr is an elite talent. Everyone knew Michigan would offer him because of his Grandpa. No clue what Tommy sees in him.

He simply is not the type of QB/player that will elevate your program to the next level. That is my biggest knock on recruiting him.
Everyone outside of ann arbor knows he is elite. Ann arbor.... LOL

I guess every evaluator from 247, on3, rivals, espn, and nd guys and schools from all over the country dont have a clue what they are seeing.

Maybe its the people from ann arbor

So much wrong here is laughable. Just because you have an opinion you think it is fact. Just like we'll run for 300 years against osu, their defense stinks and their lbs lack talent?

I dont think you said anything in there that was accurate. Nice job
You say “ just because you have an opinion you think it is fact”. Ummm isn’t that what you are doing? You are giving you opinion On Carr. You believe he is elite I don’t. It’s simple my friend. You told me why you believe he is elite I told you why I don’t believe he is. No biggie boss

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT