ADVERTISEMENT

ND running game and running backs moving forward this year

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
Not much to complain about but what's crazy is there is clear obvious room for improvement despite how well we ran it vs Clemson.
YPC this season

Estime - 5.7
Diggs 4.9
Tyree 4.1

There was a part in the game where tyree got a bunch of inside runs in a row and he did ok. He ran harder than he had been and actually fell forward but was no where near what diggs was let alone Estime. Our drives kinda stalled with him as the back doing inside runs with him. Yes Estime had his fumbling issues but he should have won back the trust of the coaches. I think opposing defenses fear him. What diggs is doing well is keeping his balance and allowing the oline to push him finishing off runs. Estime just abuses defenses if the oline doesn't screw up or he doesn't try to bounce it way outside (did that once).

I know you can't just say tyree only runs outside and estime only inside, but I think it's pretty clear by the eye and stats that Estime needs to be our main back. With that said, I like diggs spelling him because you need estime to run one way, and that way uses up a lot of energy to finish runs, so he needs spelled after 3-5 carries.

I'd like to see estime be the main back and approach 50-60% of the RB carries (not total), right now he is about 35%. Diggs be the one that spells him mostly and gets about 25-30%, and tyree always in when we have two back plays or when we go empty getting about 15-20%. Vs Clemson Estime didn't get a carry until our 3rd series after Diggs had 5 carries. So if you would have started estime out instead of Diggs the percentages are right there.

Also, the coaches have to preach over and over and over for pyne to look to his RBs as check downs. That's a pass he can make and see, but you need to look to your right or left. There was no less than 5 easy check downs pyne had vs clemson that would have either eliminated the one sack, or prevented a throwaway or missed pass on 3rd down.

Our offense only had 350 yards and two really true TD drives. Those two TD drives heavily featured Estime with Diggs and Tyree sprinkled in. Yes we absolutely dominated them physically and that's awesome, but we missed some opportunities to really put them away going into the fourth quarter. The D stepped up and sealed the game then the offense put it away.

We can't come out vs Navy and run for 3 run for 3.

I'm just thinking our offense has to be prepared to score more points and be more explosive vs USC. Their WRs and QB are way better than Clemson.

I agree that Estime should get more carried, but the staff seem to prefer to bring him in later on in each half when the opponent is tired. I see the benefit in that too, I think vs Navy he should get more touches from the start though.

Reactions: Kelso86
I agree that Estime should get more carried, but the staff seem to prefer to bring him in later on in each half when the opponent is tired. I see the benefit in that too, I think vs Navy he should get more touches from the start though.
I think Deland is doing a great job with the running back rotations. No way would I change it. Equal carries for Estime and Diggs is the way to go. Keep them fresh. Both are very productive.

Reactions: Kelso86
I think Deland is doing a great job with the running back rotations. No way would I change it. Equal carries for Estime and Diggs is the way to go. Keep them fresh. Both are very productive.
When have you ever disagreed with the coaching decisions

Reactions: Chitown11
Not much to complain about but what's crazy is there is clear obvious room for improvement despite how well we ran it vs Clemson.
YPC this season

Estime - 5.7
Diggs 4.9
Tyree 4.1

There was a part in the game where tyree got a bunch of inside runs in a row and he did ok. He ran harder than he had been and actually fell forward but was no where near what diggs was let alone Estime. Our drives kinda stalled with him as the back doing inside runs with him. Yes Estime had his fumbling issues but he should have won back the trust of the coaches. I think opposing defenses fear him. What diggs is doing well is keeping his balance and allowing the oline to push him finishing off runs. Estime just abuses defenses if the oline doesn't screw up or he doesn't try to bounce it way outside (did that once).

I know you can't just say tyree only runs outside and estime only inside, but I think it's pretty clear by the eye and stats that Estime needs to be our main back. With that said, I like diggs spelling him because you need estime to run one way, and that way uses up a lot of energy to finish runs, so he needs spelled after 3-5 carries.

I'd like to see estime be the main back and approach 50-60% of the RB carries (not total), right now he is about 35%. Diggs be the one that spells him mostly and gets about 25-30%, and tyree always in when we have two back plays or when we go empty getting about 15-20%. Vs Clemson Estime didn't get a carry until our 3rd series after Diggs had 5 carries. So if you would have started estime out instead of Diggs the percentages are right there.

Also, the coaches have to preach over and over and over for pyne to look to his RBs as check downs. That's a pass he can make and see, but you need to look to your right or left. There was no less than 5 easy check downs pyne had vs clemson that would have either eliminated the one sack, or prevented a throwaway or missed pass on 3rd down.

Our offense only had 350 yards and two really true TD drives. Those two TD drives heavily featured Estime with Diggs and Tyree sprinkled in. Yes we absolutely dominated them physically and that's awesome, but we missed some opportunities to really put them away going into the fourth quarter. The D stepped up and sealed the game then the offense put it away.

I'm just thinking our offense has to be prepared to score more points and be more explosive vs USC. Their WRs and QB are way better than Clemson.
But their D isn't close. And everyone scores points against them. So.... "IF" the D can play with the same intensity as they did against Clemson, SC will not have faced a D like that all year. Even Utah.

YPC this season

Estime - 5.7
Diggs 4.9
Tyree 4.1

Will be interesting to see Diggs improvement as he continues to rise now that he’s healthy. Diggs against Clemson averaged 6.7 YPC to Estimes 5.8. Would expect Tyree to transfer and Jadarian to pick up his load (20%) and Diggs/Estime continue to shoulder 80%. Achilles won’t be an easy one to return from.

Tyree shouldn’t run the ball at all imo unless it’s bc the other two are exhausted. Tyree should be catching passes.

Diggs has really looked improved this season with his vision and downfield approach. He has also cut out the excessive juking.

He seemed a little quicker last season so I wonder if there is not another gear still working it’s way back for him?

I think the opposite needs to happen, diggs didn’t have success until estime came in and started pounding on them. Clemson wasn’t tired when estime started getting his carry’s. I’d like to see same rotation as Clemson except estime starts out as lead back and tyree is mostly in for 2 rb plays and empty sets.

Diggs first 5 carry’s went for 15 yards, next 12 (after estime starting getting carry’s and wearing on them) went for 99

Tyree shouldn’t run the ball at all imo unless it’s bc the other two are exhausted. Tyree should be catching passes.
Tyree should run the ball in the 2 back set with lead blocking and then be the 3rd and 4th route either outta the backfield or shift/motion to the slot.

Reactions: Telx1
Tyree seemed to have disappeared last Sat. Is Diggs that far ahead of him?

Diggs first 5 carry’s went for 15 yards, next 12 (after estime starting getting carry’s and wearing on them) went for 99
Haha, yea the OL had nothing to do with the wearing. Great to see Diggs back at full strength averaging a yard more per than your guy against the best D all year.. oh and longest run of 20 was 50% more than AE’s long. Diggs should continue to start, sets the tone, brings reliability and the leader in the RB room and no doubt AE should be getting equal touches.

Reactions: narvajo
Haha, yea the OL had nothing to do with the wearing. Great to see Diggs back at full strength averaging a yard more per than your guy against the best D all year.. oh and longest run of 20 was 50% more than AE’s long. Diggs should continue to start, sets the tone, brings reliability and the leader in the RB room and no doubt AE should be getting equal touches.
Pretty impressive for AE to wear down the # 7 defense by the time Diggs got his 4th carry, Superman!

Estime has clearly been the top back all year. That will continue throughout the year. Rees loves Diggs. Both are needed

Reactions: Chitown11
Estime has clearly been the top back all year. That will continue throughout the year. Rees loves Diggs. Both are needed
Averaged a yard more per carry and the ability to break the longer runs against the Top ranked D ND will face all year. Great in pass pro, reliable, now healthy, what’s not to love!?

Reactions: Telx1
His fumbolitis cost is against Stanford, looking at a Top 10 ranking without the gift.

Averaged a yard more per carry and the ability to break the longer runs against the Top ranked D ND will face all year. Great in pass pro, reliable, now healthy, what’s not to love!?
We scored Most drives where estime was featured, not the case with diggs…. Diggs is a good backup

Pretty impressive for AE to wear down the # 7 defense by the time Diggs got his 4th carry, Superman!
Diggs didn’t do anything his first 5
Carries, our run game didn’t look good our first time series when it was all diggs, estime comes in and that immediately changed

YPC has been your bell cow through the first 4-5 games, disregarding a clear injury to Diggs..now he’s only bettered AE due to AE wearing down the Clemson D in the first quarter- hilarious.

And what, A man can’t talk to himself?

YPC has been your bell cow through the first 4-5 games, disregarding a clear injury to Diggs..now he’s only bettered AE due to AE wearing down the Clemson D in the first quarter- hilarious.

And what, A man can’t talk to himself?
I never said anything about being worn down

Season stats

Estime 5.7 ypc 9tds

Diggs 4.9 ypc 1tds

Your bell cow I guess is the injury, he had a shoulder injury. Not a lower body injury

I never said anything about being worn down

Season stats

Estime 5.7 ypc 9tds

Diggs 4.9 ypc 1tds

Your bell cow I guess is the injury, he had a shoulder injury. Not a lower body injury
So when Diggs outpaced AE against the best D Line in the country by 1 YPC, it’s because AE “wearing” on them (although weird he didn’t benefit from the same wearing) and yea a shoulder is fairly important at this position but clearly you’ve never strapped on a jock in your career if you’re unaware how a shoulder might be limiting at the RB position. Do t forget to include for fumble stats, like including Tommy’s TDs/yardage and leaving out the INTs!

So when Diggs outpaced AE against the best D Line in the country by 1 YPC, it’s because AE “wearing” on them (although weird he didn’t benefit from the same wearing) and yea a shoulder is fairly important at this position but clearly you’ve never strapped on a jock in your career if you’re unaware how a shoulder might be limiting at the RB position. Do t forget to include for fumble stats, like including Tommy’s TDs/yardage and leaving out the INTs!
I never said a word about wearing on anything. You're arguing with someone else

And you said he's on the uptick but it's really only 1 game. His last 2 games prior to clemson his ypc was 4.3 and 4.6.

So clearly it wasn't an injury issue.

I'm not forgetting about fumbles but don't forget touchdowns. 9 to 1

I never said a word about wearing on anything. You're arguing with someone else

And you said he's on the uptick but it's really only 1 game. His last 2 games prior to clemson his ypc was 4.3 and 4.6.

So clearly it wasn't an injury issue.

I'm not forgetting about fumbles but don't forget touchdowns. 9 to 1
AE is clearly getting the bulk of goal line carries leading to more TDs along with bulk of Carrie’s in games 1-4. Comparing TD production to a guy who was working his way back from injury isn’t fair.. now we’re starting to see a fairly even split. but always said, we should measure Diggs on the back half of the season- the injury was clear, can link numerous articles stating expected to miss first 4 games.

AE is clearly getting the bulk of goal line carries leading to more TDs along with bulk of Carrie’s in games 1-4. Comparing TD production to a guy who was working his way back from injury isn’t fair.. now we’re starting to see a fairly even split. but always said, we should measure Diggs on the back half of the season- the injury was clear, can link numerous articles stating expected to miss first 4 games.
So why has he been under 4.6 ypc 2 of the last 3 games?

We can go back and forth every day. I prefer Estime. I think he has nfl potential. You prefer Diggs. I hope both do great and help us win

Estime was the better back vs Clemson, not even close

With that said, Diggs played well and Tyree ran harder than he has. Good problems to have.

Interested to see the level of focus and effort vs Navy and BC.

Last edited:
👍

This. OP seems to be indicative of a wet dream for our opponents. Take our biggest back and tire him out before Half Time, insert Tyree for outside runs only and use Diggs (our most complete Back) less than we’re currently using him. No.

This. OP seems to be indicative of a wet dream for our opponents. Take our biggest back and tire him out before Half Time, insert Tyree for outside runs only and use Diggs (our most complete Back) less than we’re currently using him. No.
Tire him out before halftime LOL

Huh

He’s averaging 13 carry’s a game. The Clemson breakdown is close to what I think is ideal. I just think you start estime and get him a few more carry’s

Estime was the better back vs Clemson, not even close

With that said, Diggs played well and Tyree ran harder than he has. Good problems to have.

Interested to see the level of focus and effort vs Navy and BC.
Why do you say that? Diggs had 17 Carrie’s for 114 yds (6.7 YPC) and the game long run of 20 yards.

Estime had 18 Carrie’s for 104 (5.8 YPC), long of 13 and a 1 TD (1 Yd goal line punch in). Also missed a big blitz pick up on 3rd down in first half, continues to struggle/pulled in pass pro situations.

From the data, hard to see how Estime was clearly the better back?

Huh

He’s averaging 13 carry’s a game. The Clemson breakdown is close to what I think is ideal. I just think you start estime and get him a few more carry’s
Who you start doesn’t matter..I think they like to start Diggs as the leader/most complete back of that room to set the tone and agree on the even split between Diggs/Estime with Tyree getting 20%.

Why do you say that? Diggs had 17 Carrie’s for 114 yds (6.7 YPC) and the game long run of 20 yards.

Estime had 18 Carrie’s for 104 (5.8 YPC), long of 13 and a 1 TD (1 Yd goal line punch in). Also missed a big blitz pick up on 3rd down in first half, continues to struggle/pulled in pass pro situations.

We would need to look at the success rates.

To me it looked like diggs had about 5 good runs for 60 of his yards and 5-10
Bad to average runs where estime had about 12 good runs and 2-4 bad to average runs

ADVERTISEMENT