ADVERTISEMENT

How many losses with be tolerated? History tells us

SouthFloridaIrish88

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 16, 2022
ND looks and plays like a football team that is being run by someone who has never run a football team before. The is how after 8 games ND is 4-4 under Marcus Freeman, despite having the talent to be in a position to have won all 8 football games, Including Top 10 teams Ok State and Ohio State.

There is no substitute for experience, and there is no better teacher than learning from your own mistakes. I believe Lou said something to the effect he made a ton of mistakes at his first job (William & Mary) but nobody was paying attention. I am sure Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly, Ara Parseghian, Dan Devine, would say the same things about Toledo, Bowling Green, Grand Valley State, Miami of Ohio and Arizona State respectively,

Well at ND, everybody is paying attention, and everybody cares. Freeman supporters are blaming Kelly, Rees, Golden, Swarbrick, the QB & WR recruiting. People who think this was an ill-conceived hire are pointing to the 4-4 record, having the talent to have won every game and the history of Faust, Davie and Weis experiences.

There is also a lot of speculation as to how long will Freeman get, if ND continues floating around .500 and getting wildly inconsistent results, The answers historically appear to be 5 years and 25 to 27 losses,

-Gerry Faust got 5 years and lost 26 games with a tie. Avg of 5 losses per season (7 wins best year)
-Bob Davie got 5 years and lost 25 games Avg of 5 losses per season (9 wins best year)
-Charle Weis got 5 years and lost 27 games Avg of 5 losses per year (10 wins best year) 12 game season

ND sitting 4-3 with @Cuse, Clemson and @USC coming up, and who is kidding who, is anyone 100% confident about Navy or BC?

Marcus is on the clock with about 29 football games and 2.5 seasons to figure this out. Assuming history is accurate,

I do not think there is a win loss variable involved. It will not matter. I think marcus will turn it around. His is one coordinator away from being successful. It appears there is inconsistency from game to game in focus and intensity. A good showing in Columbus laid an egg against Marshall. Big win versus BYU did not show up against Stanford. There is a pattern here.

I think a win @Cuse would be impactful. It would validate that the guys believe in MF and continue to buy in and play hard.

Lose to Cuse, then Clemson comes to town next week……this thing could spiral out of control then…..

Reactions: Chitown11
I think a win @Cuse would be impactful. It would validate that the guys believe in MF and continue to buy in and play hard.

Lose to Cuse, then Clemson comes to town next week……this thing could spiral out of control then…..
Your hypo on cause n Clemson are imo very probable. I do not expect ND to win these games. Having watched Cuse vs Clemson I do not think we can beat them.

to be clear, it’s not a talent issue. It’s poor coaching of the offense. Maybe with Angeli we have a shot but not with Pyne n not with Rees calling plays

ND looks and plays like a football team that is being run by someone who has never run a football team before. The is how after 8 games ND is 4-4 under Marcus Freeman, despite having the talent to be in a position to have won all 8 football games, Including Top 10 teams Ok State and Ohio State.

There is no substitute for experience, and there is no better teacher than learning from your own mistakes. I believe Lou said something to the effect he made a ton of mistakes at his first job (William & Mary) but nobody was paying attention. I am sure Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly, Ara Parseghian, Dan Devine, would say the same things about Toledo, Bowling Green, Grand Valley State, Miami of Ohio and Arizona State respectively,

Well at ND, everybody is paying attention, and everybody cares. Freeman supporters are blaming Kelly, Rees, Golden, Swarbrick, the QB & WR recruiting. People who think this was an ill-conceived hire are pointing to the 4-4 record, having the talent to have won every game and the history of Faust, Davie and Weis experiences.

There is also a lot of speculation as to how long will Freeman get, if ND continues floating around .500 and getting wildly inconsistent results, The answers historically appear to be 5 years and 25 to 27 losses,

-Gerry Faust got 5 years and lost 26 games with a tie. Avg of 5 losses per season (7 wins best year)
-Bob Davie got 5 years and lost 25 games Avg of 5 losses per season (9 wins best year)
-Charle Weis got 5 years and lost 27 games Avg of 5 losses per year (10 wins best year) 12 game season

ND sitting 4-3 with @Cuse, Clemson and @USC coming up, and who is kidding who, is anyone 100% confident about Navy or BC?

Marcus is on the clock with about 29 football games and 2.5 seasons to figure this out. Assuming history is accurate,
Notre Dame is 4-3 not 4-4.

Lou Holtz started 0-2 and was 3-4 after 7 games. His first season was littered with some “good losses” but not many “good wins”

the QB play was unsettled. Even in 1988, Rice who is one of my favorites of all time could not complete a pass and the offense was pretty inept for the first half of the season with Kent Graham coming off the bench to throw the ball.

let’s hold off on these grand historical comparisons after 7 games … freeman has lost some close games to some good teams and some bad teams … a lot like his predecessor for his first 5+ years at ND

Reactions: NDinNJ and NDSMC78

This post might have a speck of credibility if the poster had an idea of what the teams actual record is to date.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ

Lou Holtz started 0-2 and was 3-4 after 7 games. His first season was littered with some “good losses” but not many “good wins”

the QB play was unsettled. Even in 1988, Rice who is one of my favorites of all time could not complete a pass and the offense was pretty inept for the first half of the season with Kent Graham coming off the bench to throw the ball.

let’s hold off on these grand historical comparisons after 7 games … freeman has lost some close games to some good teams and some bad teams … a lot like his predecessor for his first 5+ years at ND
Holtz was an experienced, successful head coach coach who knew how to build programs snd win !

Come on man. 4-4 with the Fiesta Bowl lose.

Fiesta Bowl isn't on Freeman. That was our best played game all year.

This year is on Freeman

He's 4 and 3

Come on man. 4-4 with the Fiesta Bowl lose.
If you want to count a loss of a completely different team from a different season that was coached all year by a different coach then oooookay.

it’s not even the point … let’s not draw conclusions after 7 (or 8) games. Holtz was worse. Kelly was worse. Go look at Pete Carroll’s first season at USC. Coach K went from bad to worse for 3 seasons and fans wanted this no name fired.. Just let the guy get his feet under him and stop pretending there is some foregone conclusion unfolding in front of our eyes. You are the same crowd that would be screaming playoffs if we held onto our 4th quarter leads against Marshall and Stanford.

Freeman is 4-4.

I do not think there is a win loss variable involved. It will not matter. I think marcus will turn it around. His is one coordinator away from being successful. It appears there is inconsistency from game to game in focus and intensity. A good showing in Columbus laid an egg against Marshall. Big win versus BYU did not show up against Stanford. There is a pattern here.
BYU , it turns out, is not a big win .
they were beaten badly by Liberty yesterday !

at least Clemson is not afraid to play a freshman at QB........

Reactions: Chitown11
If you want to count a loss of a completely different team from a different season that was coached all year by a different coach then oooookay.

it’s not even the point … let’s not draw conclusions after 7 (or 8) games. Holtz was worse. Kelly was worse. Go look at Pete Carroll’s first season at USC. Coach K went from bad to worse for 3 seasons and fans wanted this no name fired.. Just let the guy get his feet under him and stop pretending there is some foregone conclusion unfolding in front of our eyes. You are the same crowd that would be screaming playoffs if we held onto our 4th quarter leads against Marshall and Stanford.
Yeah, but that's what he what was doing. And it's not hard to either figure it out or notice in his post where he specifically mentions it, as part of MF's 4-4 record which he cited. So you should probably acknowledge that, instead of playing dumb about it, even if you think it's stupid. And I only say that because of these claims or implications of who has the credibility in this debate.

Be all that as it may, it's probably a fairly minor data point, that in addition to going 4-3 this season so far with bad losses to Marshall and Stanford, that he also lost the big bowl game he coached as sort of a quasi-interim coach. Your problem now I would say is framing this whole business as comparable to Holtz, and to BK himself, who both took over genuine rebuilding situations, implementing wholesale cultural changes. While seemingly no one anywhere with supposed credibility on this subject would treat the job MF stepped into as comparable to those that the aforementioned two inherited. It just couldn't be any more opposite than that. And would be a fairly bad faith argument to try to make I would say....

Yeah, but that's what he what was doing. And it's not hard to either figure it out or notice in his post where he specifically mentions it, as part of MF's 4-4 record which he cited. So you should probably acknowledge that, instead of playing dumb about it, even if you think it's stupid. And I only say that because of these claims or implications of who has the credibility in this debate.

Be all that as it may, it's probably a fairly minor data point, that in addition to going 4-3 this season so far with bad losses to Marshall and Stanford, that he also lost the big bowl game he coached as sort of a quasi-interim coach. Your problem now I would say is framing this whole business as comparable to Holtz, and to BK himself, who both took over genuine rebuilding situations, implementing wholesale cultural changes. While seemingly no one anywhere with supposed credibility on this subject would treat the job MF stepped into as comparable to those that the aforementioned two inherited. It just couldn't be any more opposite than that. And would be a fairly bad faith argument to try to make I would say....
Not sure if you are really not smart or just shameless … that’s exactly what he was doing because, you see, words actually matter.

Holtz inherited an NFL QB, a veteran offensive line and a heisman trophy winner and he finished 6-5 having lost to every ranked team he faced yet it turns out he could actually coach … MF inherited 0 starts at QB, 5 scholarship WRs and lost his AA RB and S … so let’s drop the narrative that only an idiot could screw this up and let’s stop pretending that the Marcus Freeman story is now fully written.

Not sure if you are really not smart or just shameless … that’s exactly what he was doing because, you see, words actually matter.

Holtz inherited an NFL QB, a veteran offensive line and a heisman trophy winner and he finished 6-5 having lost to every ranked team he faced yet it turns out he could actually coach … MF inherited 0 starts at QB, 5 scholarship WRs and lost his AA RB and S … so let’s drop the narrative that only an idiot could screw this up and let’s stop pretending that the Marcus Freeman story is now fully written.
So you're not going back down, it would appear. Fair enough. Why would you....

Of course the MF story isn't written yet. I don't think anyone is saying that it is. Just that it's a horrible start, and seemingly all the good times, and that top-tier level of performance and results are just gone, done, over with. Out the proverbial window. And of course it's so doubly frustrating and disillusioning precisely because he inherited such a great situation. But you're going to insist just the same that it's otherwise. Even though just last season BK faced the identical situation but with even less collective experience to draw from at the QB position, and we went 11-1 anyway, and we've never been loaded at the WR position, and yet always managed to forge ahead. And we have plenty of good RBs...

I guess ND fans, and especially alums, never learn anything. On the contrary, they live to be willfully delusional. Though I will say in this case, you're definitely in the minority, even amongst the regular rank and file. Everyone's getting all fed up.....

You mean to tell us with a straight face that Holtz and Kelly were worse than Freeman? Oh my God that’s so dumb.

Reactions: NDDadx3
So you're not going back down, it would appear. Fair enough. Why would you....

Of course the MF story isn't written yet. I don't think anyone is saying that it is. Just that it's a horrible start, and seemingly all the good times, and that top-tier level of performance and results are just gone, done, over with. Out the proverbial window. And of course it's so doubly frustrating and disillusioning precisely because he inherited such a great situation. But you're going to insist just the same that it's otherwise. Even though just last season BK faced the identical situation but with even less collective experience to draw from at the QB position, and we went 11-1 anyway, and we've never been loaded at the WR position, and yet always managed to forge ahead. And we have plenty of good RBs...

I guess ND fans, and especially alums, never learn anything. On the contrary, they live to be willfully delusional. Though I will say in this case, you're definitely in the minority, even amongst the regular rank and file. Everyone's getting all fed up.....
Yep all those good times out the proverbial window … how I long for all those good times … where do I even start, the home losses to Tulsa? Northwestern? Duke? Cincinatti? The hurricane game in Raleigh? The complete pantsing at Michigan? Miami? The Cotton Bowl where we scored 3 points? The BCS championship game with a month to prepare where we trailed 35-0 in the third quarter and got our first first down in the 2nd half. Those good times? Or did you mean the vacated wins? On the other hand, no matter how bad things get, we will always have that tightly contested Pinstripe Bowl victory over Rutgers. Spare me the hyperbole.

This post might have a speck of credibility if the poster had an idea of what the teams actual record is to date.
As multiple posters have pointed out Marcus Freemans record as the Head Coach of ND is 4-4. Sorry for the confusion I did not realize you were that stupid.

Fiesta Bowl isn't on Freeman. That was our best played game all year.

This year is on Freeman

He's 4 and 3
If Marcus Freeman had won his Bowl game, you would claim 5-3.

Unfortunately that did not happen.

Yep all those good times out the proverbial window … how I long for all those good times … where do I even start, the home losses to Tulsa? Northwestern? Duke? Cincinatti? The hurricane game in Raleigh? The complete pantsing at Michigan? Miami? The Cotton Bowl where we scored 3 points? The BCS championship game with a month to prepare where we trailed 35-0 in the third quarter and got our first first down in the 2nd half. Those good times? Or did you mean the vacated wins? On the other hand, no matter how bad things get, we will always have that tightly contested Pinstripe Bowl victory over Rutgers. Spare me the hyperbole.
Losing to Marshall and Stanford at home after being 44-6 the last 4 seasons hurts a bit.

Reactions: McCallen ND NYC

So, why was ND pre-season #5? Why was ND able to go toe to toe with #2 Ohio State in Columbus? Name one team other than Ohio State, That ND has played this season, that ND did not have the superior roster?

Rookie coaching growing pains are unimpressive wins over out matched teams like Cal and UNLV. Losses at home to Marshall and Stanford are a flat-out disaster. And instantly call for questioning the validity of this hire.

FYI Kelly did lose to Navy & Tulsa in 2010, he also lost his starting QB vs Tulsa, So tell me how did BK finish that first year?

Yes, that's right he inserted a completely inexperienced QB (Rees) beat #15 Utah the next week, then Army in Yankee Stadium, then beat USC in the Coliseum, ND first win over USC since 2001, then whipped the U, in the Sun Bowl to finish 8-5.

Let;s see how Marcus Freeman finishes up

Reactions: TheSodFather
So, why was ND pre-season #5? Why was ND able to go toe to toe with #2 Ohio State in Columbus? Name one team other than Ohio State, That ND has played this season, that ND did not have the superior roster?

Rookie coaching growing pains are unimpressive wins over out matched teams like Cal and UNLV. Losses at home to Marshall and Stanford are a flat-out disaster. And instantly call for questioning the validity of this hire.

FYI Kelly did lose to Navy & Tulsa in 2010, he also lost his starting QB vs Tulsa, So tell me how did BK finish that first year?

Yes, that's right he inserted a completely inexperienced QB (Rees) beat #15 Utah the next week, then Army in Yankee Stadium, then beat USC in the Coliseum, ND first win over USC since 2001, then whipped the U, in the Sun Bowl to finish 8-5.

We lost our starting QB this year as well

Other than last week ND was badly overmatched at QB and WR in every game they played.

Also are you seriously asking why the pollsters got this wrong?

Your 7 paragraph post can be summed up in one sentence.

Notre Dame has one glaring weakness, the QB.

Pyne is the #1 issue with this team. Put any top 10 teams QB on this team and ND is undefeated.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbone3114
Your 7 paragraph post can be summed up in one sentence.

Notre Dame has one clearing weakness, the QB.

Pyne is the #1 issue with this team. Put any top 10 teams QB on this team and ND is undefeated.
Excellent editing of the verbal gastroenteritis!

Reactions: Zorich 88
ND giving those coaches 5 years is a crime. It’s also a good reason not to give freeman time. It proves they’re all worthless. If you have 3 5 loss seasons in a row you’re a fricken loser. Period.

ND giving those coaches 5 years is a crime. It’s also a good reason not to give freeman time. It proves they’re all worthless. If you have 3 5 loss seasons in a row you’re a fricken loser. Period.
Except none of them actually had 3 losing seasons … Kelly and Weis each had one. Willingham killed it out of the gate starting 8-0. Thank God the knee jerk crowd on this board is not responsible for any important decisions.

Unfortunately, OP is correct - Freeman is making mistakes and learning on the job. He is nowhere near a finished product.

Brian Kelly at LSU and Lincoln Riley at USC plugged several holes in the roster with transfers or those teams would be struggling this year. Freeman and Rees made a huge mistake by not getting a QB transfer. Kelly got a good QB transfer last year with Coan.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Unfortunately, OP is correct - Freeman is making mistakes and learning on the job. He is nowhere near a finished product.

Brian Kelly at LSU and Lincoln Riley at USC plugged several holes in the roster with transfers or those teams would be struggling this year. Freeman and Rees made a huge mistake by not getting a QB transfer. Kelly got a good QB transfer last year with Coan.
We have the dumbest athletic director in the country.

Coaches made good decisions with the transfers they took … not getting WR is baffling. They were stuck at QB … to get a quality transfer you are promising him the QB1 job and then buchner leaves. They bet on Buchner which is reasonable and then he got hurt. Now you have neither and you are stuck with a backup with no experience and limited tools to work with. Perhaps the staff will be more ruthless and manipulative next time … maybe that’s how the transfer game is now played.

Here's a question - Would ND be better next season and beyond, if Swarbrick hired Fickell or a proven head coach this December?

This would fall under the “whatever must happen ultimately, must happen immediately” theory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT