ADVERTISEMENT

How many losses with be tolerated? History tells us

The only time I left the board was for a family matter you scum.

And it's not about being on the Freeman bandwagon. Your point was idiotic like most of your posts. You change your opinions constantly and then you whine like a little girl
You just can’t accept freeman isn’t it. You won’t accept it even when he’s coaching linebackers at a D3 school for the blind in 2028.

You just can’t accept freeman isn’t it. You won’t accept it even when he’s coaching linebackers at a D3 school for the blind in 2028.
you are bordering on being the worst poster on this forum at this point. Like it or not, Freeman will be the HC at ND for the next 3 years if not 5. Now step back off the ledge and deal with it like a big boy and not some 10 year old.

you are bordering on being the worst poster on this forum at this point. Like it or not, Freeman will be the HC at ND for the next 3 years if not 5. Now step back off the ledge and deal with it like a big boy and not some 10 year old.
Let’s talk Saturday afternoon.

That's bullshit. There was no ceiling on BK, that's just made up nonsense. And you're merely engaging in complete blue-sky prognosticating about all he wonderful things MF might do, however realistic or not.

So it's great to be all upbeat, there's no reason MF couldn't win a championship, it's not like it's against the law or something. But it's just wishful speculation, nothing more. And so just leave BK out of it. His departure was not a boon for ND in any way. And there was no upside to it. And fans like you insisting that despite anything else that this was a good thing for ND on the basis of the completely stupid, contrived nonsense that BK could never win a title at ND is not helping matters, and is and will be eternally lame....
I never said that BK leaving was a "good thing"...but his limitations were more and more obvious with time...

You might believe that Kelly would have won a national championship, but I respectfully disagree...I think Freeman is likely to bring in better talent, but the questions are about if/how he can manage a program and coach up that talent...we had the answers with Kelly...we don't (yet) with Freeman

Reactions: NDinNJ
This is silly. BK went to two playoffs and was 11-1 last year. Best culture ND had had since Lou. Now it's worse than Weis in the matter of several months. Keep up with the cognitive dissonance.
You misused cognitive dissonance...

Never said Kelly didn't have a culture, but how good could it have been when it came out after he left that he believed he couldn't win at Notre Dame without significant changes to the way the university ran the football program? How good a culture could it have been when one of the issues was that Notre Dame didn't have the right kind of facilities to compete with "the factories",...how happy could Kelly have been? And how does that translate into a good culture?

O energy. No QB present or future (besides a far off Carr). Regression in record time with elite players. Two of the worst losses in school history in same season with players like Mayer and Foskey.
I don't think you understand the difference between culture and change in management...don't feel bad...there are a lot of executives that don't know the difference either...

ND looks and plays like a football team that is being run by someone who has never run a football team before. The is how after 8 games ND is 4-4 under Marcus Freeman, despite having the talent to be in a position to have won all 8 football games, Including Top 10 teams Ok State and Ohio State.

There is no substitute for experience, and there is no better teacher than learning from your own mistakes. I believe Lou said something to the effect he made a ton of mistakes at his first job (William & Mary) but nobody was paying attention. I am sure Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly, Ara Parseghian, Dan Devine, would say the same things about Toledo, Bowling Green, Grand Valley State, Miami of Ohio and Arizona State respectively,

Well at ND, everybody is paying attention, and everybody cares. Freeman supporters are blaming Kelly, Rees, Golden, Swarbrick, the QB & WR recruiting. People who think this was an ill-conceived hire are pointing to the 4-4 record, having the talent to have won every game and the history of Faust, Davie and Weis experiences.

There is also a lot of speculation as to how long will Freeman get, if ND continues floating around .500 and getting wildly inconsistent results, The answers historically appear to be 5 years and 25 to 27 losses,

-Gerry Faust got 5 years and lost 26 games with a tie. Avg of 5 losses per season (7 wins best year)
-Bob Davie got 5 years and lost 25 games Avg of 5 losses per season (9 wins best year)
-Charle Weis got 5 years and lost 27 games Avg of 5 losses per year (10 wins best year) 12 game season

ND sitting 4-3 with @Cuse, Clemson and @USC coming up, and who is kidding who, is anyone 100% confident about Navy or BC?

Marcus is on the clock with about 29 football games and 2.5 seasons to figure this out. Assuming history is accurate,
Keep throwing STRIKES, brother.

Many here are capable of more TRUTH ACKNOWLEDGEMENT than they've displayed as a) pain can be a frightening OBSTACLE and b) the HOPIUM DRUG kills pain. But the REALIST POSITION is FACT-BASED and, over time, DEFIES IGNORING.

And you're SPOT-ON re your point that INCONSISTENCY is the SIGNATURE TELL of inexperienced coaches.

As with Faust, in particular, ANY GAME can go in ANY DIRECTION at ANY TIME. Who would have thought that a MERE YEAR after Kelly, that that would AGAIN be an issue?

Apparently not Swarbrick. Or didn't it matter?

People grossly underestimating the QB situation which has been anywhere from near disaster to disaster the entire Kelly tenure … he couldn’t recruit, he couldn’t develop and he couldn’t keep them on the team or in the school so he resolved to go the safe route with the Ian Books of the world, ensuring he would be competitive vs lesser competition but he and we all saw the ceiling … complete offensive ineptitude vs the fast and physical defenses of the SEC. We have no talent, depth or development at QB now anywhere on the roster and that has to be built … meanwhile our HC is a defensive guy and our OC is the protege of the guy who created the mess. If MF can get a top tier offensive coordinator and QB whisperer he’ll do just fine, if not this will continue for 4-5 years and then exit stage left. Oh Kelly also let the receiver position dwindle to unimaginable numbers, after what was a really good position at ND for most of his time. That one is hard to understand and totally on Freeman and Rees not to fix that with transfers.

Ok this I disagree with your sentiment here.

I liked CBK overall. He was successful.

I like Freeman. And hope he can develop fast enough to also eventually be successful at ND. Even if the odds are against him.

Notre Dame is 4-3 not 4-4.

Lou Holtz started 0-2 and was 3-4 after 7 games. His first season was littered with some “good losses” but not many “good wins”

the QB play was unsettled. Even in 1988, Rice who is one of my favorites of all time could not complete a pass and the offense was pretty inept for the first half of the season with Kent Graham coming off the bench to throw the ball.

let’s hold off on these grand historical comparisons after 7 games … freeman has lost some close games to some good teams and some bad teams … a lot like his predecessor for his first 5+ years at ND
Joel Williams got screwed on a non td call vs Michigan. You could feel after Lou’s first year that ND made a great hire.

In terms of losses? Lou wouldn’t lose to Marshal & a hapless Stanford team. Freeman isn’t going anywhere but he’s not winning a title here. He’ll be gone after year 3 or 4.

Nope it’s just your CTE
Nope...I was a kicker...no CTE...and no cognitive dissonance or bipolar disorder...mild feelings of imperiousness, but nothing that I can't handle or that you typically find in a Canadian....

Joel Williams got screwed on a non td call vs Michigan. You could feel after Lou’s first year that ND made a great hire.

In terms of losses? Lou wouldn’t lose to Marshal & a hapless Stanford team. Freeman isn’t going anywhere but he’s not winning a title here. He’ll be gone after year 3 or 4.
No one's won a title here since Lou's ONLY title...and I will bet that Freeman's first year record will be better than Lou's was...

Joel Williams lived in my dorm … yes he was inbounds and made the catch … replay would have overturned that but probably would have cost us the ‘88 Miami game too.

Nope...I was a kicker...no CTE...and no cognitive dissonance or bipolar disorder...mild feelings of imperiousness, but nothing that I can't handle or that you typically find in a Canadian....
That explains a lot.

I never said that BK leaving was a "good thing"...but his limitations were more and more obvious with time...

You might believe that Kelly would have won a national championship, but I respectfully disagree...I think Freeman is likely to bring in better talent, but the questions are about if/how he can manage a program and coach up that talent...we had the answers with Kelly...we don't (yet) with Freeman
No, that's false. I wouldn't even describe that as an 'opinion', it's just some shit people say. They gotta say something, and want to put a positive spin on it, so BK's departure, despite being an obvious disaster for the program, is characterized as a positive development, in as much as his limitations have somehow been laid bare to see for quite some time, and all these playoff appearances, and this high, high plane the program had been lifted to, is offset by this bullshit critique that BK had taken the program as high as he could take it. And thus we were at an impasse, or some shit like that....

Which to repeat is made-up nonsense. If anything the program under BK was ready to make that final push for an actual championship victory, what with our recruiting classes vaulting into, it would appear, regular top ten status. And the team being at such a peak level of performance, year on year...

So, I'm just saying, you seem like a reasonable guy, to just leave the BK-bashing or even subtle belittling out of it. It's false, it's not reality, first of all. It's horseshit. And then just, you know, out of respect, and gratitude, to a truly great coach, and someone who did so much for ND football that it's hard to even really contemplate it properly.

That's bullshit. There was no ceiling on BK, that's just made up nonsense. And you're merely engaging in complete blue-sky prognosticating about all he wonderful things MF might do, however realistic or not.

So it's great to be all upbeat, there's no reason MF couldn't win a championship, it's not like it's against the law or something. But it's just wishful speculation, nothing more. And so just leave BK out of it. His departure was not a boon for ND in any way. And there was no upside to it. And fans like you insisting that despite anything else that this was a good thing for ND on the basis of the completely stupid, contrived nonsense that BK could never win a title at ND is not helping matters, and is and will be eternally lame....
Brian Kelly was NEVER going to win a title at ND. Never. And it was a beautiful day for Notre Dame when that cowardly weasel slithered off to Baton Rouge. I don't care if we go 4-8 for the next 3 years. Kelly never deserved to be the head coach at a special place like ND.

Reactions: NDinNJ and Shank-O
Brian Kelly was NEVER going to win a title at ND. Never. And it was a beautiful day for Notre Dame when that cowardly weasel slithered off to Baton Rouge. I don't care if we go 4-8 for the next 3 years. Kelly never deserved to be the head coach at a special place like ND.

Interesting perspective. I'd rather go 4-8 with a coach that I like than go 11-1 with a coach I don't like.

You're so full of shit. You already hated him. And then you blame him for leaving on the way out the door.

But that's cool, though. That's who you are. Don't ever change. I don't want you to change. And I used to say shit like 'ND fans don't care about winning', as like a throwaway line, as a cliche. But it's straight up true. And it's gotten to where it's actually become a point of pride for you guys. Something you brag about, and toot your own horns over. You'd rather lose....

Well, I guess LSU's going to win another championship, then. And who the F knows what ND's going to do. Keep trying, I suppose.....

You're so full of shit. You already hated him. And then you blame him for leaving on the way out the door.

But that's cool, though. That's who you are. Don't ever change. I don't want you to change. And I used to say shit like 'ND fans don't care about winning', as like a throwaway line, as a cliche. But it's straight up true. And it's gotten to where it's actually become a point of pride for you guys. Something you brag about, and toot your own horns over. You'd rather lose....

Well, I guess LSU's going to win another championship, then. And who the F knows what ND's going to do. Keep trying, I suppose.....
Brian Kelly is going to get FIRED from LSU in 4-5 years. If you are so confident he will win a championship at LSU let's put a wager on it. Otherwise go back to the LSU forum and continue your BK love fest there.,

Hmmm.. I am going for the next 20 years... he will get the people/players he wants.. and ND will excel! Looking forward to one or both of my boys playing for him!!!

Reactions: Kelso86
People grossly underestimating the QB situation which has been anywhere from near disaster to disaster the entire Kelly tenure … he couldn’t recruit, he couldn’t develop and he couldn’t keep them on the team or in the school so he resolved to go the safe route with the Ian Books of the world, ensuring he would be competitive vs lesser competition but he and we all saw the ceiling … complete offensive ineptitude vs the fast and physical defenses of the SEC. We have no talent, depth or development at QB now anywhere on the roster and that has to be built … meanwhile our HC is a defensive guy and our OC is the protege of the guy who created the mess. If MF can get a top tier offensive coordinator and QB whisperer he’ll do just fine, if not this will continue for 4-5 years and then exit stage left. Oh Kelly also let the receiver position dwindle to unimaginable numbers, after what was a really good position at ND for most of his time. That one is hard to understand and totally on Freeman and Rees not to fix that with transfers.
I guess people were grossly "underestimating things" because the football program had a record of 44-6, these past 4 years?

Apparently, hiring the 4th inexperienced coach in 41 years, and after having suffered 4 losses in 8 games, illuminated these "QB issues". It is amazing what having an experienced, winning coach can do for the Wins & Losses?

PS MARCUS FREEEMAN IS 4-4 (THE FIESTA BOWL LOSS COUNTS, WHY?

Because when ND was up 28-7, all the "Kelly Cranks" were chirping "Marcus "The Great" and "Kelly Who?"

Then when the game was over, and then after losses to Marshall and Stanford this year. You found out exactly who Brian Kelly is) an elite coach. Don't believe me? Go check the Top 20 his week. You will find preseason unranked LSU in there, but you won't find preseason #5 ND, will you? Gee, I wonder why?

Keep making excuses, keep rationalizing, keep deflecting, this season has been a complete, utter and total disaster. Unlike Lou, BK who had tough first seasons, this guy took the job with a 0-0 record, and no track record. So, there is no empirical evidence that he can do the job at ND. But we have LOTS, and LOTS, of empirical evidence of inexperienced ND Head Coaches falling flat on their face. If you are still aboard the Marcus Freeman train, you are for 3 reasons.
1. Kelly Derangement Syndrome
2. Blind Faith / Bordering on Delusional
3. Both

• Haha
“ replay would have overturned that but probably would have cost us the ‘88 Miami game too.”

I agree the Gary fumble on the goal line would’ve been overturned but the chudzinski fumble right before half and the drop from Andre brown that was ruled a TD would’ve been overturned too. ND won that game fair and square.

I guess people were grossly "underestimating things" because the football program had a record of 44-6, these past 4 years?

Apparently, hiring the 4th inexperienced coach in 41 years, and after having suffered 4 losses in 8 games, illuminated these "QB issues". It is amazing what having an experienced, winning coach can do for the Wins & Losses?

PS MARCUS FREEEMAN IS 4-4 (THE FIESTA BOWL LOSS COUNTS, WHY?

Because when ND was up 28-7, all the "Kelly Cranks" were chirping "Marcus "The Great" and "Kelly Who?"

Then when the game was over, and then after losses to Marshall and Stanford this year. You found out exactly who Brian Kelly is) an elite coach. Don't believe me? Go check the Top 20 his week. You will find preseason unranked LSU in there, but you won't find preseason #5 ND, will you? Gee, I wonder why?

Keep making excuses, keep rationalizing, keep deflecting, this season has been a complete, utter and total disaster. Unlike Lou, BK who had tough first seasons, this guy took the job with a 0-0 record, and no track record. So, there is no empirical evidence that he can do the job at ND. But we have LOTS, and LOTS, of empirical evidence of inexperienced ND Head Coaches falling flat on their face. If you are still aboard the Marcus Freeman train, you are for 3 reasons.
3. Both
You take this shit too seriously. It's not like we have input into the decisions being made. 😂

Also please explain Kelly 59-0 vs unranked teams because I can count numerous losses to unranked teams under Kelly. You lose all credibility with that statement 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
“ replay would have overturned that but probably would have cost us the ‘88 Miami game too.”

I agree the Gary fumble on the goal line would’ve been overturned but the chudzinski fumble right before half and the drop from Andre brown that was ruled a TD would’ve been overturned too. ND won that game fair and square.
"I agree the Gary fumble on the goal line would’ve been overturned but the chudzinski fumble right before half and the drop from Andre brown that was ruled a TD would’ve been overturned too. ND won that game fair and square."

If replay were in existence back in 88, once replay overturns a call, the rest of the game changes. Had Chudzinki's fumble been overturned, ND goes into the locker room up 21-14. Maybe Miami does not attempt a fake punt in the 3rd Quarter and punts and pins ND deep. That changes ND's play calling --

ND (like many teams prior to replay -- which BTW, has ruined sports) won the game straight up.

If you are still aboard the Marcus Freeman train, you are for 3 reasons.
3. Both
I am aboard the Freeman train because he is going to be the coach for the next several years. While his team seems to be very erratic thus far, he may straighten it out. Seven games is not a lot to go by. Let's give him a chance and see what happens.

I am aboard the Freeman train because he is going to be the coach for the next several years. While his team seems to be very erratic thus far, he may straighten it out. Seven games is not a lot to go by. Let's give him a chance and see what happens.
the team that showed up to play north carolina would only have 1 loss. eratic is right

This is the only take that’s reasonable and realistic. Anything else is wreckless.

Reactions: NDinNJ and Golson5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT