ADVERTISEMENT

How many losses with be tolerated? History tells us

Except none of them actually had 3 losing seasons … Kelly and Weis each had one. Willingham killed it out of the gate starting 8-0. Thank God the knee jerk crowd on this board is not responsible for any important decisions.
Unfortunately, OP is correct - Freeman is making mistakes and learning on the job. He is nowhere near a finished product.

Brian Kelly at LSU and Lincoln Riley at USC plugged several holes in the roster with transfers or those teams would be struggling this year. Freeman and Rees made a huge mistake by not getting a QB transfer. Kelly got a good QB transfer last year with Coan.
Why do you presume that Freeman and/or Rees could automatically get a transfer? Do you know there was a qualified QB interested and definitely wanted to come to Notre Dame?

Too many fans just have yoo many presumptions without really having any facts.

Holtz was an experienced, successful head coach coach who knew how to build programs snd win !
And lost to Boston College, Northwestern and Air Force in his final three years at ND...so he lost games he shouldn't have...despite ALL his experience and, as you note. being an experienced, successful coach who knew how to build programs...

Moral of the story: Bad losses happen to good coaches

Coaches made good decisions with the transfers they took … not getting WR is baffling. They were stuck at QB … to get a quality transfer you are promising him the QB1 job and then buchner leaves. They bet on Buchner which is reasonable and then he got hurt. Now you have neither and you are stuck with a backup with no experience and limited tools to work with. Perhaps the staff will be more ruthless and manipulative next time … maybe that’s how the transfer game is now played.
Yes, unfortunately you need to be more ruthless these days. Kids are transferring all over. They’re even quitting mid season…

And lost to Boston College, Northwestern and Air Force in his final three years at ND...so he lost games he shouldn't have...despite ALL his experience and, as you note. being an experienced, successful coach who knew how to build programs...

Moral of the story: Bad losses happen to good coaches
Holtz could recruit top players to rebuild ND. CBK could rebuild as well, albeit with a lower ceiling given ND restrictions. Lou started losing at the end because restrictions started getting applied.

Freeman is not comparable to either of these situations. He inherited a decent team. But faces a much tougher recruiting challenge…as college football has really accelerated going semipro. Freeman also has no head coaching experience.

As I posted earlier, I’ll always root for ND and Freeman. But the odds are really stacked against him. And, obviously, ND.

It’s not just about being a QB away either. This has been the norm for a while outside CBK.

Holtz could recruit top players to rebuild ND. CBK could rebuild as well, albeit with a lower ceiling given ND restrictions. Lou started losing at the end because restrictions started getting applied.

Freeman is not comparable to either of these situations. He inherited a decent team. But faces a much tougher recruiting challenge…as college football has really accelerated going semipro. Freeman also has no head coaching experience.

As I posted earlier, I’ll always root for ND and Freeman. But the odds are really stacked against him. And, obviously, ND.

It’s not just about being a QB away either. This has been the norm for a while outside CBK.
Freeman is not either of those guys because he’s not meant to be a head coach. He’s meant to be a little league coach.

Why do you presume that Freeman and/or Rees could automatically get a transfer? Do you know there was a qualified QB interested and definitely wanted to come to Notre Dame?

Too many fans just have yoo many presumptions without really having any facts.
Because that's what everyone says, in considerable detail. With respect to the QB transfer we apparently could have had, namely Kedon Slovis. If that's wrong, if that's false information, then I guess we couldn't get one. But if it's true, as the story goes, that Slovis was very much ready to pick ND, and ND was in fact able to admit him into school, then there you go, and he could be our QB right now. Seemingly tailor made for our situation...

So, you know, I don't know if that story/rumor is 'factual' or not. But most hardcore fans on these boards speak pretty casually about it, as if it were common knowledge and reliable info.

So I'm just saying is all. Personally, I was ready to go with Buchner. I guess Rees was too.....

Freeman is not either of those guys because he’s not meant to be a head coach. He’s meant to be a little league coach.
Stop. How do you expect anyone here to take you seriously with that kind of crap? Don’t become the “town fool”.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Not having an OC and QB tells me there was a lot to turn around.

Do you think CBK would be doing better? I do.

It’s obvious by now Freeman is learning on the job and cannot adjust to circumstances like CBK could.

CBK interestingly learned to be more additive. Less game day hands on. Intervening when necessary. But he had program management down from day 1. Aside from sone big game chokes, mostly because of less talent than opponents, he had ND playing to potential.

Not having an OC and QB tells me there was a lot to turn around.
Not having a QB is 100% Freemans fault. Kelly and any other coach with half a brain would’ve found a portal. Also, Rees was really great under Kelly. He was all the rage before this season. A wise man knows, the buck stops at the top. This is a scapegoat society and now it seems it’s a scapegoat situation at ND. The entire culture sucks under Freeman, from Harry H to the ball boy. It’s a harsh reality that the stubborn will have to admit to eventually. As much as I wanted him to be successful, I knew it was a really dumb gamble. While I wanted Fickell, Campbell, or Fleck (in that order), I would’ve thought Freeman would be on the hot seat as our DC after the debacle at FSU and Toledo. He would’ve been one of the last people on the staff I’d have assumed as HC, let alone the country. It seemed to me that our defense got softer since the Elko and Leah days. But, as shocked as I was by the hire, I just assumed I was wrong and must not know as much about football as Jack, so I bit my lip, put the blinders on, jumped on the Freeman factor bandwagon, and got excited. Now I realize my gut was right, the freeman haters last year were correct, Jack is a piece of shit and this hire had nothing to do with NDs success and everything to do with his own selfish agenda (whatever the hell that is).

Last edited:
Not having a QB is 100% Freemans fault. Kelly and any other coach with half a brain would’ve found a portal. Also, Rees was really great under Kelly. He was all the rage before this season. A wise man knows, the buck stops at the top. This is a scapegoat society and now it seems it’s a scapegoat situation at ND. The entire culture sucks under Freeman, from Harry H to the ball boy. It’s a harsh reality that the stubborn will have to admit to eventually. As much as I wanted him to be successful, I knew it was a really dumb gamble. While I wanted Fickell, Campbell, or Fleck (in that order), I would’ve thought Freeman would be on the hot seat as our DC after the debacle at FSU and Toledo. He would’ve been one of the last people on the staff I’d have assumed as HC, let alone the country. It seemed to me that our defense got softer since the Elko and Leah days. But, as shocked as I was by the hire, I just assumed I was wrong and must not know as much about football as Jack, so I bit my lip, put the blinders on, jumped on the Freeman factor bandwagon, and got excited. Now I realize my gut was right, the freeman haters last year were correct, Jack is a piece of shit and this hire had nothing to do with NDs success and everything to do with his own selfish agenda (whatever the hell that is).
No it's Kellys and Rees' fault 1000%. They recruited these guys, not MF

• Haha
Reactions: IrishBeer

It’s obvious by now Freeman is learning on the job and cannot adjust to circumstances like CBK could.

CBK interestingly learned to be more additive. Less game day hands on. Intervening when necessary. But he had program management down from day 1. Aside from sone big game chokes, mostly because of less talent than opponents, he had ND playing to potential.
I think Kelly would be 5 and 2 right now. I think he struggles with Pyne and Buchner like MF has. But I think Kelly gets one of the losses to a win. I also think Kelly would have gotten blown off the field against Osu

1 more won but 1 more embarrassing blowout

Reactions: NDinNJ
I think Kelly would be 5 and 2 right now. I think he struggles with Pyne and Buchner like MF has. But I think Kelly gets one of the losses to a win. I also think Kelly would have gotten blown off the field against Osu

1 more won but 1 more embarrassing blowout
This post is worthy of an LOL. You even got in, in obviously gratuitous fashion, how tOSU would have blown us out.

Is there anyone on this board who's opinions are more transparently manufactured than yours? I'm not sure....

No it's Kellys and Rees' fault 1000%. They recruited these guys, not MF
He’s the coach, bro. He refused to bring in a transfer and he cannot get a ‘23. That’s not on BK. You can’t point the finger anymore. Sorry. It’s also going to be his fault we suck at QB for years to come bc he cannot convince even a 3 star to come to ND in ‘23.

he’s lucky he has BKs guys bc if it weren’t for Mayer and the guys BK brought in, he’d likely be 0-7.

This post is worthy of an LOL. You even got in, in obviously gratuitous fashion, how tOSU would have blown us out.

Is there anyone on this board who's opinions are more transparently manufactured than yours? I'm not sure....
It’s a ridiculous post because the is 0% chance Kelly would’ve been dumb enough not to get a transfer.

He’s the coach, bro. He refused to bring in a transfer and he cannot get a ‘23. That’s not on BK. You can’t point the finger anymore. Sorry. It’s also going to be his fault we suck at QB for years to come bc he cannot convince even a 3 star to come to ND in ‘23.

he’s lucky he has BKs guys bc if it weren’t for Mayer and the guys BK brought in, he’d likely be 0-7.
23 would be on him and Rees.

Not what he had this season. Thats on Kelly and Rees.

His recruits will be higher than any Kelly class he ever had here. So your last point is just silly

23 would be on him and Rees.

Not what he had this season. Thats on Kelly and Rees.

His recruits will be higher than any Kelly class he ever had here. So your last point is just silly
Have to develop. Doubt he can. We hired Ted Lasso.

We already hit the ceiling for BK...playoff spot and one-sided loss every 3 or 4 years given offensive and defensive philosophies, lazy asst coaching management and lazier recruitment...

Freeman has an incomplete on asst coaching management but we know he is a more energetic, engaged and successful recruiter...we will have to live with growth pains to see him become a game coach...maybe he won't get there, but neither would Kelly...the ceiling on Freeman is much higher...unfortunately, potentially, the floor is also lower...I in for the risk IF you want a chance at Nat'l Championship

He had as much or more talent than Miami in '17 (lost 41-8, and it wasn't that close) and Michigan in 2019 (lost 45-14, and again, not that close)...if that was ND's potential, than we weren't ever gonna win a natty again...Freeman offers a higher ceiling

Reactions: Golson5
Freeman did not have the time to implement a culture change...you are seeing the results of Kelly's laziness

We already hit the ceiling for BK...playoff spot and one-sided loss every 3 or 4 years given offensive and defensive philosophies, lazy asst coaching management and lazier recruitment...

Freeman has an incomplete on asst coaching management but we know he is a more energetic, engaged and successful recruiter...we will have to live with growth pains to see him become a game coach...maybe he won't get there, but neither would Kelly...the ceiling on Freeman is much higher...unfortunately, potentially, the floor is also lower...I in for the risk IF you want a chance at Nat'l Championship
That's bullshit. There was no ceiling on BK, that's just made up nonsense. And you're merely engaging in complete blue-sky prognosticating about all he wonderful things MF might do, however realistic or not.

So it's great to be all upbeat, there's no reason MF couldn't win a championship, it's not like it's against the law or something. But it's just wishful speculation, nothing more. And so just leave BK out of it. His departure was not a boon for ND in any way. And there was no upside to it. And fans like you insisting that despite anything else that this was a good thing for ND on the basis of the completely stupid, contrived nonsense that BK could never win a title at ND is not helping matters, and is and will be eternally lame....

Freeman did not have the time to implement a culture change...you are seeing the results of Kelly's laziness
This is silly. BK went to two playoffs and was 11-1 last year. Best culture ND had had since Lou. Now it's worse than Weis in the matter of several months. Keep up with the cognitive dissonance.

This is silly. BK went to two playoffs and was 11-1 last year. Best culture ND had had since Lou. Now it's worse than Weis in the matter of several months. Keep up with the cognitive dissonance.
Culture worse than Weis era? No chance.

How? Any specific reasons?

Culture worse than Weis era? No chance.

How? Any specific reasons?
O energy. No QB present or future (besides a far off Carr). Regression in record time with elite players. Two of the worst losses in school history in same season with players like Mayer and Foskey.

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5
O energy. No QB present or future (besides a far off Carr). Regression in record time with elite players. Two of the worst losses in school history in same season with players like Mayer and Foskey.
Funny stuff

I see you’re back on the freeman wagon. Keep it up until Saturday morning. You’ll be MIA for a week after Syracuse bends us over at their place Saturday.
The only time I left the board was for a family matter you scum.

And it's not about being on the Freeman bandwagon. Your point was idiotic like most of your posts. You change your opinions constantly and then you whine like a little girl

😂 Kelly indeed would have gotten blown out at tOSU, a night game. Have you not seen that script before? Let me refresh your memory. Michigan, Miami, etc.

Reactions: Chitown11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT