ADVERTISEMENT

DL play over the last 10 years

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
ND is the only team I watch every snap of ball religiously so I'm sure my comment is a little jaded. Why does it seem like QBs escape NDs DL pressure more than any other QB. It's not just mobile QBs but very immobile QBs. Every so often we get very good edge rushers but no one that can push the pocket up the middle since Big Chocolate (RIP)!

I hope Freeman goes to the portal this off season and finds gold at interior DL and LB. Before you jump on me about our LB recruiting, please realize the young guys are barely getting playing time and won't be able to be difference makers day 1.

There have been some exceptions, but it seems to me that our defensive linemen and linebackers have not been lightning quick and our defenses in general have not been good tacklers. Then you add in all the changes at defensive coordinator, and it's not all that surprising our players seem a little out of sorts this season.

The front 7 has been pretty terrible at stopping the run. I just don't get it. Marshall and UNLV both had success running the ball. I want to see the d-linemen just beat the guy and stuff the gap and make the tackle if the RB is there. I want to see the LB recognize the play explode to the gap and make the tackle. It's basic football and with the talent ND has and the opponets they've been facing. They shouldn't be struggling. Now Golden may be having the d-line do what is called a "read and react" but I'm not a fan of it.

ADVERTISEMENT