ADVERTISEMENT

The big picture issue

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
All this griping on here on both sides

Posters saying be happy it's 2-0 or others saying taking things personally when you speak negatively about BK or the program. Sometimes acting like the other posters hope ND loses.

Then we have posters speaking in reality pointing out negatives. I definitely fall under that category and I think I can speak for others who share the same sentiment.
We point out things that plague the team repeatedly.
We are told BW will be better. We are told this is a new BK and things are going to be on the upswing.
We give benefit of the doubt and buy it only to see the very same things continuing.

Big picture the problem is BK has worn out his welcome...or excuses might be a better put.

This isn't year 1,2 or 3. These are his players now. This is his environment completely. The mentality, the staff, the entire program is his baby.

What we see are the same damn things over and over. Every top tier team has that Ball State type of result. This would be no big deal if we knew he'd out coach David Shaw and bully Stanford later on. If he'd have his team ready and expecting to win in a huge game environment at Bkacksburg. So far to-date his track record in eight years says neither will happen.

BK has lost his slack because he has shown eight years of the above example.

He's not learning on the job.

We want to see a Ball State performance and not care because we know we'll embarrass Virginia Tech.

Again I think I speak for a lot of the posters....we want to be wrong..

We really do

Hey pointing out the negative is just fine, I just think we should wait a bit, since it's CFB, we have a new OLINE, we play a lot of young players, and we are in fact 2 - 0. forgo the negative until we lose a game. Seems a bit premature at this point. If we go on and get beat by Vandy, or don't show up against Stanford, then bitch all you want. We have a good team, lets see what happens.

complaining-about-a-problem-without-proposing-a-solution-is-called-9466279.png

Posters saying be happy it's 2-0 or others saying taking things personally when you speak negatively about BK or the program. Sometimes acting like the other posters hope ND loses.

Then we have posters speaking in reality pointing out negatives. I definitely fall under that category and I think I can speak for others who share the same sentiment.
We are told BW will be better. We are told this is a new BK and things are going to be on the upswing.

We give benefit of the doubt and buy it only to see the very same things continuing.

Big picture the problem is BK has worn out his welcome...or excuses might be a better put.

This isn't year 1,2 or 3. These are his players now. This is his environment completely. The mentality, the staff, the entire program is his baby.

What we see are the same damn things over and over. Every top tier team has that Ball State type of result. This would be no big deal if we knew he'd out coach David Shaw and bully Stanford later on. If he'd have his team ready and expecting to win in a huge game environment at Bkacksburg. So far to-date his track record in eight years says neither will happen.

We want to see a Ball State performance and not care because we know we'll embarrass Virginia Tech.

We really do

I understand the feelings on BK are similar to politics and both sides think the other sides are completely insane and ignoring facts.....

We are told BW will be better. It has been two weeks, and he has not been great, but he has been worse last year?

We are told this is a new BK and things are going to be on the upswing. We were told this was a new BK before last year, and it seemed like it was in fact a changed coach to me. Last year was a big turnaround to 2016... no denying that right?

Hey pointing out the negative is just fine, I just think we should wait a bit, since it's CFB, we have a new OLINE, we play a lot of young players, and we are in fact 2 - 0. forgo the negative until we lose a game. Seems a bit premature at this point. If we go on and get beat by Vandy, or don't show up against Stanford, then bitch all you want. We have a good team, lets see what happens.
While we're on the topic of big picture. If you want to fire BK, then fine. Who are you going to hire that is better?

Reactions: nemeth#5
While we're on the topic of big picture. If you want to fire BK, then fine. Who are you going to hire that is better?
This is such a poor take. I get the desire to keep BK if you think BK is a coach that is going to get ND where you want to program to be (understanding that for some people where the program currently is in the landscape of college football is ok) but if you do not believe BK is going to get ND over the hump why would you be ok with the status quo? Fans are not college AD's or businesses who get hired to find head coaches for programs. Why is the inability of some normal fan to name a surefire upgrade over BK a reason to keep the status quo? Coaches that are going to get good P5 jobs next year or the year after include:

Seth Littrell
Brent Venables
Sonny Dykes
Mike Norvell
Neal Brown
Bryan Harsin
Dave Aranda

That doesn't include guys that are going to move up from lower end P5 schools like

Brohm
Campbell
Fleck
Doeren

There are coaches out there. Are they better then BK? Maybe? But does that mean ND should just stand pat in BK goes 8-4?

Stop with the common sense! :p:p

This is such a poor take. I get the desire to keep BK if you think BK is a coach that is going to get ND where you want to program to be (understanding that for some people where the program currently is in the landscape of college football is ok) but if you do not believe BK is going to get ND over the hump why would you be ok with the status quo? Fans are not college AD's or businesses who get hired to find head coaches for programs. Why is the inability of some normal fan to name a surefire upgrade over BK a reason to keep the status quo? Coaches that are going to get good P5 jobs next year or the year after include:

Seth Littrell
Brent Venables
Sonny Dykes
Mike Norvell
Neal Brown
Bryan Harsin
Dave Aranda

That doesn't include guys that are going to move up from lower end P5 schools like

Brohm
Campbell
Fleck
Doeren

There are coaches out there. Are they better then BK? Maybe? But does that mean ND should just stand pat in BK goes 8-4?
There are very few coaches in America and the NFL that can deal with the lofty expectations of ND. Not to
Mention the handling of the brand of ND is a full time job by itself....no coordinatior is ready let alone head coaches

ND, At this point with how ND & CFB has changed drastically. They have to strike lighting in the bottle with the next big coach. Who's that unsung Assistant ? Besides that I'm happy if we win at least 9 games. Would be nice to throw in a big bowl win.

We've got a "tallest midget" situation with BK when compared to Davie, Willingham, and Weis.

Holtz gave ND the blueprint for how to succeed in football, but that was many moons ago, before the midget era. And ND sure didn't dig the blueprint anyway, and was compelled to go the midget route.

ND has to be worried that if they get rid of the tallest midget, they might replace him with someone who ends up being a clear foot shorter, like Davie, Willingham, and Weis were. It's like a vicious cycle.

Reactions: tbonesays

We really do
You do know in 2012 ND had more than one Ball State game?

That squad caught lightning in a bottle.

Luck, bounces, it just went their way...all the way up until Kansas State not keeping up their end of the bargain.

I do believe had K state won it's final game then we would have a different coach now because BK would have won the title and been the irresistible commodity to NFL teams.

Moreover if that 12 team made the current playoffs they'd be spanked in round #1.

Reactions: Kelso86

Seth Littrell
Brent Venables
Sonny Dykes
Mike Norvell
Neal Brown
Bryan Harsin
Dave Aranda

Brohm
Campbell
Fleck
Doeren

That's a lot of assumptions there. I said nothing about Kelly getting ND over the hump or being okay with status quo. I simply asked a question. My point was it's ridiculous to point out the obvious problems and failures of Kelly and not talk at all about a solution. While yes, we're not ADs some of us are informed enough as to who would be good candidates for the ND job. You don't need to be an AD to identify a good coach. I don't think it's asking for much for fans to suggest coaches that would be a good fit for the program.

#1 I don't get paid for vetting coaches. There are people that get paid a lot of money to do that.

#2 doing nothing indicates satisfied with status quo

#3 you want this Midas answer as to not have a worse coach. Or better yet if you're pulling the trigger on change you'll only do it if the change is better.

Nobody can answer the question you ask. Perhaps you can answer a question for me.

What is your threshold of satisfaction?

If ND present day is your bench mark then you're right...why change.

On the other hand if your goal is reaching a bit higher like myself...

Then the only guarantee we have by not trying is seeing the program stay right where it is. Middle of the top 25

Might be OK with you but I'd prefer to reach just a tad higher.

Reactions: SALittleGiant513
We've got a "tallest midget" situation with BK when compared to Davie, Willingham, and Weis.

Holtz gave ND the blueprint for how to succeed in football, but that was many moons ago, before the midget era. And ND sure didn't dig the blueprint anyway, and was compelled to go the midget route.

ND has to be worried that if they get rid of the tallest midget, they might replace him with someone who ends up being a clear foot shorter, like Davie, Willingham, and Weis were. It's like a vicious cycle.
You're probably right on that one. I know Swarbrick gets a lot of criticism, but he's in a tough spot. Do I fire the guy who did take us to a national championship, is a solid recruiter, and runs a clean program? Whom by the way I've invested millions of the university's money in to show recruits that I'm committed to him and he's not going anywhere. Or do I bite the bullet and fire him, (which I'm willing to bet Swarbrick has pondered) spend more of the university's money and hope and pray that the next coach is better?

#1 I don't get paid for vetting coaches. There are people that get paid a lot of money to do that.

#2 doing nothing indicates satisfied with status quo

#3 you want this Midas answer as to not have a worse coach. Or better yet if you're pulling the trigger on change you'll only do it if the change is better.

Nobody can answer the question you ask. Perhaps you can answer a question for me.

What is your threshold of satisfaction?

If ND present day is your bench mark then you're right...why change.

On the other hand if your goal is reaching a bit higher like myself...

Then the only guarantee we have by not trying is seeing the program stay right where it is. Middle of the top 25

Might be OK with you but I'd prefer to reach just a tad higher.
So you have to get paid to have an idea as to who would be a good solution to ND's struggles? Come on! We both know you just came to rant and state the obvious. Don't get upset cuz I called you out on it.

Your second point I agree, which is why so many are upset with Swarbrick.

Your third point is my point exactly. You don't pull the trigger unless you know this change is in fact better. Who is a new power 5 coach in the last 3 years that changed their program into a national contender. I can only think of one and that's Kirby Smart, whom I doubt would have taken the ND job as he has the freedom to recruit any kid he wants. Remember how many in this board wanted Tom Herman? How's that working out? There's a reason why Swarbrick retained Kelly even though I'm sure he knows fans aren't satisfied. I'm not asking you come up with an answer, but at least make a suggestion instead of just pointing out the obvious.

Lastly, what's the threshold of satisfaction? I'll tell you what my dad told me. Minimum .750 win percentage, a championship at least once every 5 years and/or multiple major bowl wins within 5 years.

I totally agree but something is amiss with our 3 midgets. Not one of them achieved even a Kirk Ferentz level of mediocrity in any of their future endeavors. And I absolutely hope UNM wins every week until next year. But it defies reason that as a Tier 1 Program we didn't even get T2 coaching for over a decade.

Reactions: HuddleBurger
By what standard?

There were only 3 unranked teams that we beat by only 1 score in 2012 - Purdue, BYU, and Pittsburgh:
  • Purdue - Just came off of a 7-6 year. Not great but not awful either. Plus, Purdue was a long time annual rival at the time and frequently gave us problems.
  • BYU - Came off of a 10-3 year. Finished 2012 8-5. Our starting QB had to sit out due to a concussion. No one expected us to blow them out.
  • Pittsburgh - came off of a 6-7 season. Finished 6-7 again in 2012. Not good seasons but not horrible either. Pittsburgh frequently played us tough. We definitely were not favored by 5 touchdowns.
Then you have:
  • Ball St. 2018 - Came off of a 2-10 season. Just implemented a new defensive scheme this year. Allowed a weak FCS school to average over 4 yards/carry in their first game. ND was favored by 5 touchdowns but somehow BSU was able to wreak havoc on our OL and held us to less than 3 ypc.
So where was our BSU game in 2012, let alone multiple BSU games?

Reactions: HuddleBurger
So you have to get paid to have an idea as to who would be a good solution to ND's struggles? Come on! We both know you just came to rant and state the obvious. Don't get upset cuz I called you out on it.

Your second point I agree, which is why so many are upset with Swarbrick.

Your third point is my point exactly. You don't pull the trigger unless you know this change is in fact better. Who is a new power 5 coach in the last 3 years that changed their program into a national contender. I can only think of one and that's Kirby Smart, whom I doubt would have taken the ND job as he has the freedom to recruit any kid he wants. Remember how many in this board wanted Tom Herman? How's that working out? There's a reason why Swarbrick retained Kelly even though I'm sure he knows fans aren't satisfied. I'm not asking you come up with an answer, but at least make a suggestion instead of just pointing out the obvious.

Lastly, what's the threshold of satisfaction? I'll tell you what my dad told me. Minimum .750 win percentage, a championship at least once every 5 years and/or multiple major bowl wins within 5 years.
You're not calling me out because I'm not playing some silly game of woulda coulda maybe with coaching names.
I could throw out fifty names and it means nothing.

There are ZERO guarantees. That's what you keep ignoring and act like there is some coach fairy to save the day otherwise you won't entertain trying.

The next Holtz, Saban, Dabo, Meyer, ...sure we all want that.

Whom that might be at Notre Dame is anyone's guess.

There is no guessing in not trying.

It's status quo.

Eight years in we know what we have by now.

You like it or you want better?

By what standard?

There were only 3 unranked teams that we beat by only 1 score in 2012 - Purdue, BYU, and Pittsburgh:
  • Purdue - Just came off of a 7-6 year. Not great but not awful either. Plus, Purdue was a long time annual rival at the time and frequently gave us problems.
  • BYU - Came off of a 10-3 year. Finished 2012 8-5. Our starting QB had to sit out due to a concussion. No one expected us to blow them out.
  • Pittsburgh - came off of a 6-7 season. Finished 6-7 again in 2012. Not good seasons but not horrible either. Pittsburgh frequently played us tough. We definitely were not favored by 5 touchdowns.
Then you have:
  • Ball St. 2018 - Came off of a 2-10 season. Just implemented a new defensive scheme this year. Allowed a weak FCS school to average over 4 yards/carry in their first game. ND was favored by 5 touchdowns but somehow BSU was able to wreak havoc on our OL and held us to less than 3 ypc.
So where was our BSU game in 2012, let alone multiple BSU games?

IN 2012 we played to the level of competition usually, UMaa, BC, LSJU, and 3 qtrs. of Okla + your list.

BK should be the coach, and win football games ethically. Who cares if he promotes the Notre Dame brand. Let the PR firms do that. If he can’t win a consistent basis, find a different culture can.

Reactions: mirer03
You're not calling me out because I'm not playing some silly game of woulda coulda maybe with coaching names.
I could throw out fifty names and it means nothing.

There are ZERO guarantees. That's what you keep ignoring and act like there is some coach fairy to save the day otherwise you won't entertain trying.

The next Holtz, Saban, Dabo, Meyer, ...sure we all want that.

Whom that might be at Notre Dame is anyone's guess.

There is no guessing in not trying.

It's status quo.

Eight years in we know what we have by now.

You like it or you want better?
You didn't even read my post. Look at what I said regarding your third point:
Your third point is my point exactly. You don't pull the trigger unless you know this change is in fact better. Who is a new power 5 coach in the last 3 years that changed their program into a national contender? I can only think of one and that's Kirby Smart, whom I doubt would have taken the ND job as he has the freedom to recruit any kid he wants. Remember how many in this board wanted Tom Herman? How's that working out? There's a reason why Swarbrick retained Kelly even though I'm sure he knows fans aren't satisfied. I'm not asking you come up with an answer, but at least make a suggestion instead of just pointing out the obvious.

But yet you say I'm ignoring that there are zero guarantees and I act like there is some coach fairy. I'm pretty sure that's not what I said. Like I said, stop stating the obvious. Look at the other replies after your original post. You got other guys calling you out too about complaining, whining, and just pointing out the negative.

IN 2012 we played to the level of competition usually, UMaa, BC, LSJU, and 3 qtrs. of Okla + your list.
Playing down to the level of our opponents has been common under BK, and it's a problem, but the BSU game was more than that. We were a justifiably a 5 TD favorite over a MAC team coming off of a 2-10 season and playing at home. There is nothing comparable from the 2012 season.

You didn't even read my post. Look at what I said regarding your third point:
Your third point is my point exactly. You don't pull the trigger unless you know this change is in fact better. Who is a new power 5 coach in the last 3 years that changed their program into a national contender? I can only think of one and that's Kirby Smart, whom I doubt would have taken the ND job as he has the freedom to recruit any kid he wants. Remember how many in this board wanted Tom Herman? How's that working out? There's a reason why Swarbrick retained Kelly even though I'm sure he knows fans aren't satisfied. I'm not asking you come up with an answer, but at least make a suggestion instead of just pointing out the obvious.

But yet you say I'm ignoring that there are zero guarantees and I act like there is some coach fairy. I'm pretty sure that's not what I said. Like I said, stop stating the obvious. Look at the other replies after your original post. You got other guys calling you out too about complaining, whining, and just pointing out the negative.
Because you have as much of an idea who would be better here as I do...or anyone else for that matter.
Nobody knows that answer.
All you do is sound off on give me some names, give me some names....except nobody has that Crystal ball.

You throw a name out like some Messiah as if you knew Kirby Smart would be good. Moreover he might be worse than Brian Kelly in south bend.

You say Kirby Smart in hindsight. But does he make anything better here? Again you have no idea that.

BK has shown what he's got at south bend.

Eight years and counting is a good indicator.

You're only willing to take a chance on a surre thing.

Life just isn't like that. Reward has risks. Business, sports, etc.

If the goal is a middle top 25 program then Kelly is the guy.

If the goal is to be elite a change is in order.

Do you know what Kelly's MBO's are? They're not "win a title". BK might be performing at a high level given what ND has asked him to do.

If you want 5* guys and playoff every year- go cheer for OSU or Bama.

We really do
And jist imagine how horrible book is in practice to not be able to beat him out .

Because you have as much of an idea who would be better here as I do...or anyone else for that matter.
Nobody knows that answer.
All you do is sound off on give me some names, give me some names....except nobody has that Crystal ball.

You throw a name out like some Messiah as if you knew Kirby Smart would be good. Moreover he might be worse than Brian Kelly in south bend.

You say Kirby Smart in hindsight. But does he make anything better here? Again you have no idea that.

BK has shown what he's got at south bend.

Eight years and counting is a good indicator.

You're only willing to take a chance on a surre thing.

Life just isn't like that. Reward has risks. Business, sports, etc.

If the goal is a middle top 25 program then Kelly is the guy.

If the goal is to be elite a change is in order.

Name a single coach nd nan get that can come in and do half of what kelly has done? Especially considering how well "fans" treat a guy that has made nd respectful after years of being a doormat?

“And jist imagine how horrible book is in practice to not be able to beat him out.”

Could be that or could be the staff is hellbent on playing wimbush cuz they think he’s better. They could be wrong. Have you heard that book has been “horrible” in practice? Who told you that?

jmo, but 1 game and 1 scrimmage into the season, I know this,
I do not know the big picture.

Reactions: IrishMike409
There are very few coaches in America and the NFL that can deal with the lofty expectations of ND. Not to
Mention the handling of the brand of ND is a full time job by itself....no coordinatior is ready let alone head coaches
Maybe? Four of the top 10 coaches in the nation are at their first job from making a jump as a coordinator. I am not a huge fan of hiring a coordinator but I am not one to exclude people with inside the box thinking when that type of thinking has given us the last 25 years. If you think BK should go (and I am not saying he should) you are going to stick with him because you don't think any other coach out there is ready to survive at ND?

That's a lot of assumptions there. I said nothing about Kelly getting ND over the hump or being okay with status quo. I simply asked a question. My point was it's ridiculous to point out the obvious problems and failures of Kelly and not talk at all about a solution. While yes, we're not ADs some of us are informed enough as to who would be good candidates for the ND job. You don't need to be an AD to identify a good coach. I don't think it's asking for much for fans to suggest coaches that would be a good fit for the program.
Here's the problem with this, it creates an increasingly moving target because the next 3 people respond with names like, Norvell, Fuente, Harsin, Doeren, etc. (Whoever it doesn't matter the actual names) and then the response is either (a) not realistic because they wont come here and/or (b) not good enough. The question is or at least should be, is there a change that needs to be made and once that question is answered lets see what is out there.

Name a single coach nd nan get that can come in and do half of what kelly has done? Especially considering how well "fans" treat a guy that has made nd respectful after years of being a doormat?

Most of the PAC coaches are feasible except Shaw (thankfully). Forget about the South. There's always a hot name in the MAC that will be said here many many times. I cannot think of anyone in the ACCnorth who is over-achieving but someone will soon emerge.

I think he is proposing a solution by suggesting that BK isn't earning his job

Since 99% of posters on here couldnt coach a Pee Wee Football team, let alone do Brian Kellys job. The opinions of these people are shrouded in pure willful ignorance and off the charts stupidity. Therefore their opinions are 1000% irrelevant and meaningless.

PS let me know when one of you Sewing Circle dip sticks go 12-0 twice, win COY twice, win Div II National Titles twice and currently have ND 2-0 and ranked in the Top 10?

I get you think eating Hot Pockets in your basement watching ND play on TV makes you qualified to think you know more football than Brian Kelly. But really it just makes you sound like fools.

Last edited:
Probably most of the "sewing circle dip sticks" remember what ND football was like when they had good coaches, that's all. No reason to get all worked up.

Maybe? Four of the top 10 coaches in the nation are at their first job from making a jump as a coordinator. I am not a huge fan of hiring a coordinator but I am not one to exclude people with inside the box thinking when that type of thinking has given us the last 25 years. If you think BK should go (and I am not saying he should) you are going to stick with him because you don't think any other coach out there is ready to survive at ND?
I hear what your saying but who is a sure fire upgrade? Then slap on the the brand of ND...that’s a very very short list..those guys are not leaving Because they are winning. And I know people say look at Stanford. So let’s look at them...ND 1 national title appearance in the last 5 years....Stanford 0.....

The monster of The ND brand is a heavy weight on a coach. You can just win but the responsibility’s of the ND HC are massive....Texas is a good comparison where football is everything and they are still looking for the guy after Mack left.....So the question still is who?
Saban?
Meyer?
Coward?
Carroll?

Those are you realistic choices that can coach and handle the business and they are not leaving or coming out of retirement. That would be considered a upgraded not a lateral move

We may not know x’s and o’s or the intricacies of coaching. But based upon historical performance, W/L’s, over time we can differentiate Good perfomance vs bad performance and things in between.

Reactions: rgc7

Seth Littrell
Brent Venables
Sonny Dykes
Mike Norvell
Neal Brown
Bryan Harsin
Dave Aranda

Brohm
Campbell
Fleck
Doeren

That's just throwing names out there for the sake of it. You even admit you're not sure if one of those would be an improvement.

So your solution would be, let's try (insert name here) and if that doesn't work then what? We keep rotating coaches every few years? That would not be a good situation for the long-term plans of any program.

“Since 99% of posters on here couldnt coach a Pee Wee Football team, let alone do Brian Kellys job. The opinions of these people are shrouded in pure willful ignorance and off the charts stupidity. Therefore their opinions are 1000% irrelevant and meaningless.

PS let me know when one of you Sewing Circle dip sticks go 12-0 twice, win COY twice, win Div II National Titles twice and currently have ND 2-0 and ranked in the Top 10?

I get you think eating Hot Pockets in your basement watching ND play on TV makes you qualified to think you know more football than Brian Kelly. But really it just makes you sound like fools.”

No, what makes someone sound like a fool is when they call fans that have anything other than praise for a coach that you’re in love w/ ignorant, stupid, irrelevant and meaningless. We get it, you’re in love w/ Brian Kelly. That doesn’t mean he’s beyond reproach. Give it a rest.

And what exactly is that blueprint? The game has changed a great deal since 1988. The recruiting geme has as well, especially vis-a-vis our national competitors.

Reactions: hvillebill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT