ADVERTISEMENT

2026 - 14 team playoff

And yet ND has continued to graduate its players at the best rate in the nation, stayed independent, has a spot in the new playoff structure, and still has all the conferences trying to date them

That really sounds like a lack of vision…
đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

I guess this would mean the first round byes would go from 4 teams down to two? Because to end up with 8 teams in the 2nd round, you'd need the other 12 to play and pare down to 6.

At any rate, this would make it slightly easier for ND, as we'd need to be in the top 14, rather than in the top 11, as it is now, when a G5 team isn't in the top 12 (like last year, when Liberty was #23, and would've gotten that spot).

Clemson suing the ACC too? This means there will soon be no more ACC.
I think it'll survive, but obviously won't be as strong, if Clemson and FSU both leave. That's why they brought in Stanford, Cal and SMU last year - to help them survive in case they lost some schools.

I think it'll survive, but obviously won't be as strong, if Clemson and FSU both leave. That's why they brought in Stanford, Cal and SMU last year - to help them survive in case they lost some schools.
You really think the ACC will survive in this current climate with the likes of weak sisters like SMU, Cal, Stanford, Wake Forest, Boston College, etc? Not. a. chance.

A few years. Inside of 5.
We're further away from joining a conference now then we may have ever been.

At the absolute earliest now would be in 2032. We are golden with the new deals being made

You're clueless on this

• Haha
Reactions: TPirish
You really think the ACC will survive in this current climate with the likes of weak sisters like SMU, Cal, Stanford, Wake Forest, Boston College, etc? Not. a. chance.
If only Clemson and FSU leave, then yes, I think it would survive. They'd still have the North Carolina schools, the Virginia schools, Miami, Syracuse, etc. It would be roughly on par with the new Big 12.

If only Clemson and FSU leave, then yes, I think it would survive. They'd still have the North Carolina schools, the Virginia schools, Miami, Syracuse, etc. It would be roughly on par with the new Big 12.
UConn and JMU would likely try to be their replacements----not great options but the fact is there are very few.

We're further away from joining a conference now then we may have ever been.

At the absolute earliest now would be in 2032. We are golden with the new deals being made

You're clueless on this
We'll find out who is clueless on this in just a few short years. Here's a hint: it isn't me.

We'll find out who is clueless on this in just a few short years. Here's a hint: it isn't me.
Bet on it

It would be a moronic move to go to a conference anytime in the next few years. And the people running the program aren't morons

• Haha
UConn and JMU would likely try to be their replacements----not great options but the fact is there are very few.
Actually, Stanford, Cal and SMU were already chosen to be their replacements, in case they left. So if FSU and Clemson leave, they'll still have 15 full members remaining.

Stanford has the strongest overall athletic program in the country. Besides 1980 Clemson was nothing special for decades until the last one. FSU has had one good season in the last 10 and their coach tried to leave anyway. Pitt has been a better program in this timeframe and quite frankly has a better history than both. I don’t think the ACC will just collapse.

I don’t understand why they selected 14 teams and I don’t understand it in the following context

Giving two teams a bye gives them an inherent advantage

Since the rankings are so subjective, why not a playoff with 16 teams which would eliminate the inherit advantage provided to two teams

The second inherit advantage is granting teams home-field advantage versus a neutral field for every team.

If the object is to determine the national champion, then the playing field should be level for all 16 teams

Last edited:
Reactions: Chitown11
I don’t understand why they selected 14 teams and I don’t understand it in the following context

Giving two teams a bye gives them an inherent advantage

Since the rankings are so subjective, why not a playoff with 16 teams which would illuminate the inherit advantage provided to two teams

The second inherit advantage is granting teams home-field advantage versus a neutral field for every team.

If the object is to determine the national champion, then the playing field should be level for all 16 teams
It's actually the same as the NFL's model now - 14 teams in the playoffs with 2 byes. So perhaps they liked that format and decided to copy it.

Actually, Stanford, Cal and SMU were already chosen to be their replacements, in case they left. So if FSU and Clemson leave, they'll still have 15 full members remaining.
Beats being aligned with Michigan and a conference that universally despises Notre Dame.

Fu.. the Big 10.

Reactions: tbonesays
Beats being aligned with Michigan and a conference that universally despises Notre Dame.

Fu.. the Big 10.
We may or may not go to the Big for our Olympic sports. I dont care either way.

But we will be a football independent for a long time.

It's actually the same as the NFL's model now - 14 teams in the playoffs with 2 byes. So perhaps they liked that format and decided to copy it.
The structure of the NFL is entirely different from the structure of college football.

The NFL only has 32 teams and they’re dividing into divisions, each team has to play the teams in their division two times. The NFL is a multi-Billion dollar for-profit business and in theory the NCAA isn’t

Geographic franken-conferences never survive. I'm not sure if that is the cause or the effect.

With the new 14 team playoff and TV contracts in place until 2032, ND is not joining a conference. Absolutely no reason to.
What exactly is going to happen to our other sports when(yes WHEN) the ACC collapses? What conference will they go to? Who is going to schedule us in football? Army? Stanford? Cal? Navy? Maybe Tennessee State?

The structure of the NFL is entirely different from the structure of college football.

The NFL only has 32 teams and they’re dividing into divisions, each team has to play the teams in their division two times. The NFL is a multi-Billion dollar for-profit business and in theory the NCAA isn’t
In theory, NCAA isn't a multi-billion dollar business, but in reality, it is.

Geographic franken-conferences never survive. I'm not sure if that is the cause or the effect.
Well, there's a whole bunch of them now - ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, AAC, etc. They all stretch from coast to coast. And I'm not a fan of that, either. But that's what we have now in Division I sports. Stanford's in a conference with Wake Forest, Rutgers is in a conference with Oregon, and UCF is in a conference with Arizona.

What exactly is going to happen to our other sports when(yes WHEN) the ACC collapses? What conference will they go to? Who is going to schedule us in football? Army? Stanford? Cal? Navy? Maybe Tennessee State?
We move our Olympic sports into a different conference like we have done previously. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out

Scheduling will be easy. We can have an ACC type agreement with a different conference or we can just schedule like a true independent for football

Either way will be easy to do.

The better question is who wouldnt want to schedule us in football? We've never had a problem with it before and we wont now

With the schedule you refer to, Id say ND will be in the playoffs quite often. IF the ACC collapses then the school will find a conference to play in MINUS football. Its staying Independent through at least 2032. What is so hard for you to understand?

We move our Olympic sports into a different conference like we have done previously. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out

Scheduling will be easy. We can have an ACC type agreement with a different conference or we can just schedule like a true independent for football

Either way will be easy to do.

The better question is who wouldnt want to schedule us in football? We've never had a problem with it before and we wont now
Toilet Paper Irish isn't too smart

One question is which conference would Olympic sports move to? I think its fair to say neither the SEC or B1G would take ND teams without football, so that leaves B12, AAC, C-USA, MW, MAC, and Sunbelt.

One question is which conference would Olympic sports move to? I think its fair to say neither the SEC or B1G would take ND teams without football, so that leaves B12, AAC, C-USA, MW, MAC, and Sunbelt.
Don’t discount a reshuffling of ACC and Big 12 schools into coast to coast football conference and a geographic grouping and scheduling of Olympic sports which would be more student friendly

Any of those you mentioned are possible plus the Big East

Also, is not accurate that the Big or sec wouldn't take our Olympic sports without football.

They could negotiate a 5 game agreement on football like the acc did. OR, if the time ever comes for football to be on a conference (not anytime soon) they would then have the best shot at getting us

Reactions: tbonesays
With the schedule you refer to, Id say ND will be in the playoffs quite often. IF the ACC collapses then the school will find a conference to play in MINUS football. Its staying Independent through at least 2032. What is so hard for you to understand?
You must be a Jack Swarbrick groupie if you'd be ok with a sh*t schedule like the one I mentioned. I like to think that Pete Bevaqua is smarter than that.

Any of those you mentioned are possible plus the Big East

Also, is not accurate that the Big or sec wouldn't take our Olympic sports without football.

They could negotiate a 5 game agreement on football like the acc did. OR, if the time ever comes for football to be on a conference (not anytime soon) they would then have the best shot at getting us
I have heard whispers that the conference formerly known as the big ten is warming up to the same deal we currently have with the ACC.

Toilet Paper Irish isn't too smart
Wow, how old are you? 11? Keyboard tough guy. We'll see how this all shakes out in due time. In the meantime, you can go get bent. Ok champ?

I have heard whispers that the conference formerly known as the big ten is warming up to the same deal we currently have with the ACC.
Our football team will be an independent for a very long time. Thats what we know pretty much as a certainty now

Your finally hearing the whispers

You must be a Jack Swarbrick groupie if you'd be ok with a sh*t schedule like the one I mentioned. I like to think that Pete Bevaqua is smarter than that.
It won't be shit. We could easily get a top schedule because everyone will want to schedule Notre Dame

Toughen up and use your brain on this one

It won't be shit. There will be plenty of good schools who will want ND on their schedule.

• Haha
I don't think it's going to fall apart. Miami's AD recently reiterated their happiness with being in the ACC. They might lose FSU and Clemson, though. And if they do, that would weaken our annual 5-game ACC football slate a little. So we'd need to make up for it by toughening up the scheduling in our other 7 games.

• Haha
Reactions: TPirish and NDDadx3
With the new 14 team playoff and TV contracts in place until 2032, ND is not joining a conference. Absolutely no reason to.

I don't think it's going to fall apart. Miami's AD recently reiterated their happiness with being in the ACC. They might lose FSU and Clemson, though. And if they do, that would weaken our annual 5-game ACC football slate a little. So we'd need to make up for it by toughening up the scheduling in our other 7 games.

The ACC will dissolve in about 2 seasons. ND should offer a partial to the BUG and SEC with the message, whoever accepts us, gets us as a full member should we agree to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT