ADVERTISEMENT

2026 - 14 team playoff

Don’t discount a reshuffling of ACC and Big 12 schools into coast to coast football conference and a geographic grouping and scheduling of Olympic sports which would be more student friendly
This idea actually makes a lot of sense. The combined conference would have over 30 teams. But they could split up the non-football sports scheduling where all the teams east of the Mississippi could mostly play each other, and all the teams west of the Mississippi could do likewise. And as a combined entity, they could probably take on the big 2 power conferences better. And of course, ND could continue being part of it.

• Haha
Reactions: TPirish
This idea actually makes a lot of sense. The combined conference would have over 30 teams. But they could split up the non-football sports scheduling where all the teams east of the Mississippi could mostly play each other, and all the teams west of the Mississippi could do likewise. And as a combined entity, they could probably take on the big 2 power conferences better. And of course, ND could continue being part of it.
There would even be room for Wash St and Oregon St, and there would be some of the best teams in the country in just about every sport … could call it the Coast2Coast (C2C) conference with 2 divisions (or 3), Atlantic and Pacific (preserving the ACC / PAC legacy), and it would cover every time zone in continental US

Reactions: mbd11
Division II or whatever they call it made a lot of sense too. But the big schools are clearly walling off the market.

Division II or whatever they call it made a lot of sense too. But the big schools are clearly walling off the market.
The big schools, like Rutgers and Vanderbilt. It’s over for the rest of us, isn’t it ? Should I sell my sweatshirt on eBay while I can still get $10 for it?

Agree this is a pro-independent interview, but he also says the "ACC is in great shape" so clearly some posturing going on as well--which is smart. I believe the intent to stay independent as long as feasible is genuine, but as big 2 increase their stranglehold that may or may not change. Next big inflection point is when some combination of FSU, Clemson, Virginia, NC (and maybe CU) join BIG or SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT