ADVERTISEMENT

The big picture issue

You're not calling me out because I'm not playing some silly game of woulda coulda maybe with coaching names.
I could throw out fifty names and it means nothing.

There are ZERO guarantees. That's what you keep ignoring and act like there is some coach fairy to save the day otherwise you won't entertain trying.

The next Holtz, Saban, Dabo, Meyer, ...sure we all want that.

Whom that might be at Notre Dame is anyone's guess.

There is no guessing in not trying.

It's status quo.

Eight years in we know what we have by now.

You like it or you want better?
So you are saying your just gonna bitch and whine endlessly unless ND wins national titles. Nice. Offering a solution without an alternative is a fools errand.

This is such a poor take. I get the desire to keep BK if you think BK is a coach that is going to get ND where you want to program to be (understanding that for some people where the program currently is in the landscape of college football is ok) but if you do not believe BK is going to get ND over the hump why would you be ok with the status quo? Fans are not college AD's or businesses who get hired to find head coaches for programs. Why is the inability of some normal fan to name a surefire upgrade over BK a reason to keep the status quo? Coaches that are going to get good P5 jobs next year or the year after include:

Seth Littrell
Brent Venables
Sonny Dykes
Mike Norvell
Neal Brown
Bryan Harsin
Dave Aranda

That doesn't include guys that are going to move up from lower end P5 schools like

Brohm
Campbell
Fleck
Doeren

There are coaches out there. Are they better then BK? Maybe? But does that mean ND should just stand pat in BK goes 8-4?
Those Coaches suck !! Worse than BK !! Just assistants !! If we can't get Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Billichick, Gruden,Kirby, Tommy Lasorda or Jimbo we might as well keep Kelly !! He will have us in the playoffs in 2018 !! And we got to the NC game in 12 !!

Those Coaches suck !! Worse than BK !! Just assistants !! If we can't get Saban, Meyer, Dabo, Billichick, Gruden,Kirby, Tommy Lasorda or Jimbo we might as well keep Kelly !! He will have us in the playoffs in 2018 !! And we got to the NC game in 12 !!

I am aboard for Lasorda!:D

Reactions: Irish Duck
And what exactly is that blueprint? The game has changed a great deal since 1988. The recruiting geme has as well, especially vis-a-vis our national competitors.

NOTHING IS OVER. IF WE JUST HAD A FULLBACK AND 75% RUSHES WE'D HAVE 11 MINUTE TD DRIVES WINNING WITH ONLY 21 POINTS

Reactions: notredamerises23
That's just throwing names out there for the sake of it. You even admit you're not sure if one of those would be an improvement.

So your solution would be, let's try (insert name here) and if that doesn't work then what? We keep rotating coaches every few years? That would not be a good situation for the long-term plans of any program.
My solution is that there are people who get paid to make those decisions. If a fan doesnt have a specific name that doesn't mean BK should be the answer by default.

Reactions: rgc7 and 88ND
Since 99% of posters on here couldnt coach a Pee Wee Football team, let alone do Brian Kellys job. The opinions of these people are shrouded in pure willful ignorance and off the charts stupidity. Therefore their opinions are 1000% irrelevant and meaningless.

PS let me know when one of you Sewing Circle dip sticks go 12-0 twice, win COY twice, win Div II National Titles twice and currently have ND 2-0 and ranked in the Top 10?

I get you think eating Hot Pockets in your basement watching ND play on TV makes you qualified to think you know more football than Brian Kelly. But really it just makes you sound like fools.
Hahahahhahaha what a Hardo

I hear what your saying but who is a sure fire upgrade? Then slap on the the brand of ND...that’s a very very short list..those guys are not leaving Because they are winning. And I know people say look at Stanford. So let’s look at them...ND 1 national title appearance in the last 5 years....Stanford 0.....

The monster of The ND brand is a heavy weight on a coach. You can just win but the responsibility’s of the ND HC are massive....Texas is a good comparison where football is everything and they are still looking for the guy after Mack left.....So the question still is who?
Saban?
Meyer?
Coward?
Carroll?

Those are you realistic choices that can coach and handle the business and they are not leaving or coming out of retirement. That would be considered a upgraded not a lateral move
That's the point though. The mindset that because we cannot identify a sure thing upgrade means we should just be fine with the status quo is bad. Rewards come with risk not with sitting back.

Reactions: rgc7 and 88ND
My solution is that there are people who get paid to make those decisions. If a fan doesnt have a specific name that doesn't mean BK should be the answer by default.
So, what you're saying is, you don't know anyone that's better than BK that would be willing to come to ND. You don't make a change unless you are very confident it would be an upgrade.

The posters on here that say Scott Frost is "so great", well, that's not starting off "so great". Jeff Brohm, not doing too well this year. Herman, he lost two years in a row to freaking Maryland. And, my all-time favorite, Coach Row the Boat went 5-7 last year after taking over a team that went 9-4 the previous year. And the folks that ran Jimbo Fisher out of FSU would GLADLY take him back this very minute.

So, what you're saying is, you don't know anyone that's better than BK that would be willing to come to ND. You don't make a change unless you are very confident it would be an upgrade.

The posters on here that say Scott Frost is "so great", well, that's not starting off "so great". Jeff Brohm, not doing too well this year. Herman, he lost two years in a row to freaking Maryland. And, my all-time favorite, Coach Row the Boat went 5-7 last year after taking over a team that went 9-4 the previous year. And the folks that ran Jimbo Fisher out of FSU would GLADLY take him back this very minute.
Jack has resources and contact available to him not available to any of us to help in the search. Give me the money, contacts and resources available to Jack and I'll get back to you in 6 months.

Frost in in second game is a fair comparison to Kelly in year 9

Frost lost his QB and the backup left to go elsewheres. A tough way to start the comeback.

So you never change coaches?

That's the point though. The mindset that because we cannot identify a sure thing upgrade means we should just be fine with the status quo is bad. Rewards come with risk not with sitting back.
Sal...I agree with the point you are making. I may have missed it, but interested to hear your answer to the question you have posed.

Basically, do you think Kelly is the coach to get us over the hump; and if not, are you satisfied with the status quo?
Oh. Yeah no. I think BK is a top 25 coach but I dont think he will ever get ND a national championship. I think if a coach is to ever get ND over the hump they are going to have to be special and BK while good is not that. I think you cannot fire a coach after last season and with as weak as this schedule is ND is going to win 10 games + and you cant fire him after that either. That said ND will not win a national championship with BK and as a fan that sucks.

Oh. Yeah no. I think BK is a top 25 coach but I dont think he will ever get ND a national championship. I think if a coach is to ever get ND over the hump they are going to have to be special and BK while good is not that. I think you cannot fire a coach after last season and with as weak as this schedule is ND is going to win 10 games + and you cant fire him after that either. That said ND will not win a national championship with BK and as a fan that sucks.

I used to call that Bo Pellini territory. I need a new name, might just be BK

You guys are a real piece of work. ND is a 10-3 program. They would be 10-3 at best under Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Stoops thats why those guys would NEVER come to ND.

Go look at a YouTube video of ND vs MSU from 1991. You had Bettis, T Brooks, R Brooks, L Dawson, J Burris, T Carter, Bryant Young, D Brown, Irv Smith, R Mirer, D Dubose, A Taylor , J Flanagan & R Zellers

Thats 13 guys frigging guys who went in the 1st or 2nd Round of the NFL Draft. You guys think because Kelly had Nelson & Mcglinchey go in the 1st round last year, he was sitting on a BCS juggernaut. Its off the charts DELUSIONAL.

Instead of crying like spoiled 5 year girls about Kelly. Ask Holtz how he lost 3 games with that team? Including blowing a 24 point lead vs Tenn at home and getting whipped by 3TD the next week at Penn State.

When ND decided to stop contending in 1993. Holtz went 23-11-1 his last 3 years. That rounds out to 8-3 BTW. Thats what the talent is. STOP WHINING

Last edited:
I don't care who the coach is at this point, ND needs to start recruiting better players, or it doesn't matter.

We need a coach that has a track record of recruiting ABOVE a program's baseline.

It's one of the reasons why Lane Kiffin seems like a guy worth taking a shot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT