ADVERTISEMENT

Masterful Coaching by the Clemson Offense Staff

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
Clemson has made the CFP for the past 5 years in a row, and will play for their 3rd National Championship.. And have done so, without a dominant offensive line. I would go as far to say Clemson has been relatively average up front.

If you go back and look at all their playoff games vs Alabama (4 of them) and then the SF game vs Ohio State on Saturday. Clemson could not run the ball in the traditional way with their Inside Zone and G Schemes. Etienne had 36 yards on 10 carries vs Ohio State.

What Clemson has had for 4 of the past 5 years is a transcendent duel threat QB. The one year they did not? 2017 with Kelly Bryant. That team was upset on the road at Syracuse. And Alabama whipped them like a yard dog in the playoffs.

However, the Clemson Co OC's Scott & Elliott "schemed" a run game on Saturday by using Lawrence on the QB draws, and Lawrence keeping on the Zone Read. And even though the running back Etienne was rendered virtually useless on the ground. They masterfully used him in the passing game with the screen pass and the Play Action circle route out of the backfield on the Game Winning drive.

For all the non stop bloviating by the star gazers about guys like Ross, Higgins, Rodgers.

Clemson wins because they get all world QB play and really clever coaching. When you go back and look at Clemson's 2 wins over Alabama and now 2 wins over Ohio State in the past 4 seasons.

I think 3 things.
1.Great Defense
2.Great QB play
3.Great Coaching

ND has a defense to play on this stage now, thanks to Kelly and Clark Lea
ND can put better O-Lines on the field then Clemson
ND is getting the skill necessary to compete at this level
ND has the coaches to create "schemes"

The only question is, when will ND find and develop THE QB. I can tell you right now. If Ian Book was Clemson's QB on Saturday. Clemson and ALL their 5 star players would have gotten run off the field by 30 points.

Clemson has made the CFP for the past 5 years in a row, and will play for their 3rd National Championship.. And have done so, without a dominant offensive line. I would go as far to say Clemson has been relatively average up front.

If you go back and look at all their playoff games vs Alabama (4 of them) and then the SF game vs Ohio State on Saturday. Clemson could not run the ball in the traditional way with their Inside Zone and G Schemes. Etienne had 36 yards on 10 carries vs Ohio State.

What Clemson has had for 4 of the past 5 years is a transcendent duel threat QB. The one year they did not? 2017 with Kelly Bryant. That team was upset on the road an Syracuse. And Alabama whipped them like a yard dog in the playoffs.

However, the Clemson Co OC's Scott & Elliott "schemed" a run game on Saturday by using Lawrence on the QB draws, and Lawrence keeping on the Zone Read. And even though the running back Etienne was rendered virtually useless on the ground. They masterfully used him in the passing game with the screen pass and the Play Action circle route out of the backfield on the Game Winning drive.

For all the non stop bloviating by the star gazers about guys like Ross, Higgins, Rodgers.

Clemson wins because they get all world QB play and really clever coaching. When you go back and look at Clemson's 2 wins over Alabama and now 2 wins over Ohio State in the past 4 seasons.

I think 3 things.
1.Great Defense
2.Great QB play
3.Great Coaching

ND has a defense to play on this stage now, thanks to Kelly and Clark Lea
ND can put better O-Lines on the field then Clemson
ND is getting the skill necessary to compete at this level
ND has the coaches to create "schemes"

The only question is, when will ND find and develop THE QB. I can tell you right now. If Ian Book was Clemson's QB on Saturday. Clemson and ALL their 5 star players would have gotten run off the field by 30 points.
tOSU losing one of their best players(ejected) did hurt either

Book is 23-3 as a starter......he helped elevate Kellys record which you tout

So which it ?

Kelly can't developed a QB though the ones he has/had helped him keep his job with extensions, or kelly willed his teams to were they are now?

Just curious

Its not that Clemson offensive coaches are so smart its that they are not idiots. Idiots will be idiots and people with common sense will have common sense. Its not a one time thing.

Ohio State is still crying. This is an example of good coaching.

I hate these arguments. If you take away Tony Jones’s 84yrd TD run, he only averaged 3.7 yards per carry. What the hell is that? Did he not run 84 yards on that play? Is he only responsible when he loses yards or gets stuffed for no gain? At least give him credit for the 15 yards that he stiff armed and dragged the defender into the end zone. Did Clemson spot OSU 16 pre kickoff or did OSU earn them during the game? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Your absolutely right in that Clemson’s staff did a very nice job adjusting. However, their initial plan wasn’t nearly as effective as they’d hoped. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have needed the adjustment to begin with.

Last edited:
I hate these arguments. If you take away Tony Jones’s 84yrd TD run, he only averaged 3.7 yards per carry. What the hell is that? Did he not run 84 yards on that play? Is he only responsible when he loses yards or gets stuffed for no gain? At least give him credit for the 15 yards that he stiff armed and dragged the defender into the end zone. Did Clemson spot OSU 16 pre kickoff or did OSU earn them during the game? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Your absolutely right in that Clemson’s staff did a very nice job adjusting. However, their initial plan wasn’t nearly as effective as they hoped. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have needed the adjustment to begin with.

I’m 100% with you. You can’t just say crap like, “well...if x then y” (your Tony Jones example was perfect). It happened. It counts. Period.

Ohio State is still crying. This is an example of good coaching.

I agree. I fully expected OSU to take the early lead. Clemson hadnt played anyone nearly as talented all year and the players had to adjust to the speed and physicality of OSU

Once they settled in half way through 2nd quarter, they took over and were the better team

Reactions: scartiger
I agree. I fully expected OSU to take the early lead. Clemson hadnt played anyone nearly as talented all year and the players had to adjust to the speed and physicality of OSU

Once they settled in half way through 2nd quarter, they took over and were the better team

That's what I was thinking too. It just took them a lot longer to adjust than I expected.

In the end, two great teams played a great game that could have gone either way.

Reactions: scartiger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT