ADVERTISEMENT

What is Pyne?

The Oline has improved since Marshall. The BYU defense is better than Marshall. This Line looks totally different.
It's improved. The question is how much. Enough to beat Clemson?

My whole point is that you usually look better against weaker teams. And ND has consistently failed at running the ball or protecting its QB's against the best teams out there.

Good is good. But HOW good?

I posted this last year when Pyne played. The line couldn't block, there was no running game, etc etc. Until Pyne came in, and all of a sudden the offense moved the chains. He and his team are going to get more and more comfortable and get better and better as they play more together. Will he be enough to win the big games? Probably not this year, but next year he and his offense will be that much better. He, like most QB's, like most players, have limitations and weaknesses. But he'll continue to learn what they are and he and is team will continue to improve with them. With a couple more receivers and a running game that will continue to develop over time, this team will win lots of games. He will make some plays. He may not chuck it downfield for 60 yards on a rope, but he'll find other ways to keep moving the chains.

I posted this last year when Pyne played. The line couldn't block, there was no running game, etc etc. Until Pyne came in, and all of a sudden the offense moved the chains. He and his team are going to get more and more comfortable and get better and better as they play more together. Will he be enough to win the big games? Probably not this year, but next year he and his offense will be that much better. He, like most QB's, like most players, have limitations and weaknesses. But he'll continue to learn what they are and he and is team will continue to improve with them. With a couple more receivers and a running game that will continue to develop over time, this team will win lots of games. He will make some plays. He may not chuck it downfield for 60 yards on a rope, but he'll find other ways to keep moving the chains.
In other words, what Golson, Kizer and Book achieved. The ability to ALMOST compete with the PREMIER teams.

To me, this is ND's BUILT-IN STRUCTURAL CEILING, the ability to win 9 to 12 games -- with the help of its carefully crafted schedule -- only to get OUTRUN and OUTMUSCLED at crunch time against Bama, Clemson or OSU.

But, of course, there's always this wishful -- or is it WISTFUL -- notion that there's this one elusvie SECRET SAUCE INGREDIENT out there which will will propel ND over the hump. The CURRENT SECRET SAUCE RECIPE is Marcus Freeman's putative recruiting genius. Will it be the answer given the STRUCTURAL REALITIES facing him? I'm SKEPTICAL.

Keep losing to the BIG BOYS and THEY'LL keep getting the guys who beat you -- NOT YOU. Just look at ND's head to head recruiting record against OSU since Holtz left. It's NOT PRETTY.

Of greater concern is NIL, the PORTAL and, potentially, REVENUE SHARING from which I see NO SCENARIO where ND emerges as a winner. And if you aren't winning in THOSE AREAS, you will soon be REGRESSING as a program.

My concern about ND football is that -- metaphorically speaking -- it's still playing ANALOG in a DIGITAL cosmos.

Chucking it downfield on a rope isn’t the premier quality you look for in a QB, Recognition, time of release and ACCURACY are more important !

Reactions: tbone3114
In other words, what Golson, Kizer and Book achieved. The ability to ALMOST compete with the PREMIER teams.

To me, this is ND's BUILT-IN STRUCTURAL CEILING, the ability to win 9 to 12 games -- with the help of its carefully crafted schedule -- only to get OUTRUN and OUTMUSCLED at crunch time against Bama, Clemson or OSU.

But, of course, there's always this wishful -- or is it WISTFUL -- notion that there's this one elusvie SECRET SAUCE INGREDIENT out there which will will propel ND over the hump. The CURRENT SECRET SAUCE RECIPE is Marcus Freeman's putative recruiting genius. Will it be the answer given the STRUCTURAL REALITIES facing him? I'm SKEPTMIICAL.

Keep losing to the BIG BOYS and THEY'LL keep getting the guys who beat you -- NOT YOU. Just look at ND's head to head recruiting record against OSU since Holtz left. It's NOT PRETTY.

Of greater concern is NIL, the PORTAL and, potentially, REVENUE SHARING from which I see NO SCENARIO where ND emerges as a winner. And if you aren't winning in THOSE AREAS, you will soon be REGRESSING as a program.

My concern about ND football is that -- metaphorically speaking -- it's still playing ANALOG in a DIGITAL cosmos.
Instead of projecting YOUR lifetime DISAPOINTMENT AND REGRETS onto the kids, try to remember that it's free entertainment. Let the kids develop and grow into a team. Don't condemn them into MEDIOCRITY based on what has happened to teams in the past. RELAX, enjoy the games, and appreciate they are giving it their all. You paid NOTHING for this. Try to enjoy it. You might live a little longer.

Reactions: francade
Instead of projecting YOUR lifetime DISAPOINTMENT AND REGRETS onto the kids, try to remember that it's free entertainment. Let the kids develop and grow into a team. Don't condemn them into MEDIOCRITY based on what has happened to teams in the past. RELAX, enjoy the games, and appreciate they are giving it their all. You paid NOTHING for this. Try to enjoy it. You might live a little longer.

I have no lifetime disappointments or regrets. I take the world FOR WHAT IT IS.

And I have NO POWER over how "the kids" develop. And I'm by no means condemning THEM or anyone. My point is ND IS WHAT IT IS, the PERENNIAL IF ONLY.

Now, if that OFFENDS YOU, it has nothing to do with me. I'm merely pointing out the OBVIOUS. Presumably, you've either witnessed or are at least aware of the last 35 years.

IT'S BEEN AN INCREDIBLE ONE-NOTE SAMBA DANCED TO AN IRISH JIG.

Honestly, what has ND accomplished during that time -- compared to its past achievements -- other than RELY ON ITS BRAND? Any NC's? Any Heisman winners? Any memorable QB's or RB's? It's been a BROKEN MODEL.

And I know what BROKEN looks like having WORKED OUT BANKRUPT COMPANIES. There are TELLS.

As for the players giving it their all, that happens at every college playing football. It's not a VIRTUE unique to ND.

You see it otherwise ? GOOD FOR YOU. But, PLEASE, DO TELL WHY.

As for relaxed, I'm not the one FLAMING SOMEONE PERSONALLY FOR A POST they didn't APPROVE OF.

MAKE YOUR ARGUMENT, BUT DON'T ATTACK ME.

And I have NO POWER over how "the kids" develop. And I'm by no means condemning THEM or anyone. My point is ND IS WHAT IT IS, the PERENNIAL IF ONLY.

Now, if that OFFENDS YOU, it has nothing to do with me. I'm merely pointing out the OBVIOUS. Presumably, you've either witnessed or are at least aware of the last 35 years.

Honestly, what has ND accomplished during that time -- compared to its past achievements -- other than RELY ON ITS BRAND? Any NC's? Any Heisman winners? Any memorable QB's or RB's? It's been a BROKEN MODEL.

And I know what BROKEN looks like having WORKED OUT BANKRUPT COMPANIES. There are TELLS.

As for the players giving it their all, that happens at every college playing football. It's not a VIRTUE unique to ND.

As for relaxed, I'm not the one FLAMING SOMEONE PERSONALLY FOR A POST they didn't APPROVE OF.

Maybe you should stop shouting.

Stop posting would be even better.

“I have no lifetime disappointments or regrets.”

Lol. Not a single regret or disappointment in his whole life? More arrogant know it all BS from the serial bloviator. Man does he love to hear himself type all those big smart sounding words in all caps. He’s such an intellect. 🤮

Reactions: NIN Irish
Stop posting would be even better.
I don't get the negative reaction to 4-4-3's posts. Yeah, a little long and a little repetitive, like those of many other posters. But they are reasoned out and make a lot of sense.

Since Holtz left, it's been the same refrain: Once we get the right coach (and sometimes AD), everything will be alright. Meanwhile the rest of the world witnessed the wheels come off ND football starting in 1994 when tightened admission standards started to be applied.

Can ND still win a championship in today's atmosphere? Maybe, but highly unlikely.

Reactions: 4-4-3
except that most other posters disagree with your opinion, so who determines the “truth” ?

Certainly NOT YOU !
That's funny coming from you !

Tell us about the pylons and the 2pt conversions and how JS would never hire MF.

That's funny coming from you !

Tell us about the pylons and the 2pt conversions and how JS would never hire MF.
You never addressed the pylon issue and explained how an object that sits out of bounds can be deemed in bounds. Technically one could make a case that only the field side surface of the pylon is in bounds, but not the other four surfaces.

As to the 2 point conversion you don’t possess the football IQ to understand that decision.

And as to JS he clearly stated that he wouldn’t appoint an assistant to the interim HC job..
The timing of Kelly’s resignation painted him into a corner with very few options and Freeman was the default choice.

Go ahead and explain how the pylon, which sits entirely out of bounds, can be deemed in bounds.
I await your reply.

You never addressed the pylon issue and explained how an object that sits out of bounds can be deemed in bounds. Technically one could make a case that only the field side surface of the pylon is in bounds, but not the other four surfaces.

As to the 2 point conversion you don’t possess the football IQ to understand that decision.

And as to JS he clearly stated that he wouldn’t appoint an assistant to the interim HC job..
The timing of Kelly’s resignation painted him into a corner with very few options and Freeman was the default choice.

Go ahead and explain how the pylon, which sits entirely out of bounds, can be deemed in bounds.
I await your reply.
Brilliant !

I'm not flaming you personally 443, you're flaming these kids and condemning them into mediocrity based on what has happened with teams before them. This team has a new QB, HC and many other new coaches. They are growing and developing into a unit. None of us have any idea how well they will do going forward. They are good enough to beat most on their schedule and could develop enough to challenge even the toughest teams they will face. Next year Mayer will be back playing with his bestie at QB. Is Mayer as impactful as Tim Brown? He might be.

As for bankrupt, ND was in a couple of NC games and had undefeated seasons very recently. While they have no Heismans, Teo, a defensive player was on the shortlist. The Dodgers couldn't beat the Yankees for many years, the Sox couldn't win a WS to save their life for almost a decade. But eventually they did. The Bills went to how many SB's and lost them all. But Buffalo loves those guys, and someday it will likely happen.

I'm not attacking you 443, just teasing you. Loosen up and try to enjoy the games. It's the journey 443, the journey.

No one is making you read my posts. But you apparently ARE, and that's fine as that's your CHOICE. My choice is to write the way I wish.

But then, it shouldn't BE about either you or I. It should be about ND FOOTBALL. The moment someone drags someone else's PERSONALITY or APPROACH or WRITING STYLE into it . . .

. . . IT DEGRADES THE DISCUSSION.

I mean, would you in an intense or sensitive BUSINESS MEETING, call out your counterpart for his POOR TASTE IN TIES?

No, because it's MICKEY MOUSE.

So, pardon me for EVEN HAVING TO GET INTO THIS, but it WAS your nickel.

Reactions: Telx1
I'm not flaming you personally 443, you're flaming these kids and condemning them into mediocrity based on what has happened with teams before them. This team has a new QB, HC and many other new coaches. They are growing and developing into a unit. None of us have any idea how well they will do going forward. They are good enough to beat most on their schedule and could develop enough to challenge even the toughest teams they will face. Next year Mayer will be back playing with his bestie at QB. Is Mayer as impactful as Tim Brown? He might be.

As for bankrupt, ND was in a couple of NC games and had undefeated seasons very recently. While they have no Heismans, Teo, a defensive player was on the shortlist. The Dodgers couldn't beat the Yankees for many years, the Sox couldn't win a WS to save their life for almost a decade. But eventually they did. The Bills went to how many SB's and lost them all. But Buffalo loves those guys, and someday it will likely happen.

I'm not attacking you 443, just teasing you. Loosen up and try to enjoy the games. It's the journey 443, the journey.
Okay, I see you are a VERY STAUNCH SUPPORTER, and that's fine. But you ARE ATTACKING my POV and even my attitude. Clearly, what I write is OFFENDING YOU. But that's not my intention. This isn't PERSONAL. And in no way are either you or anyone else being TARGETED.

But, hey, at least you're talking about the TEAM now and NOT SO MUCH ABOUT ME.

I think your problem with me is that you're more an ADVOCATE than an ANALYST, even though you're a GOOD ANALYST. But it seems you simply don't want guys like me saying what you consider to be DISPARAGING THINGS about the team. Problem is, I'm NOT an advocate. At best, I'm an INTERESTED PARTY.

I was a very strong supporter of ND football under Holtz. Since then, it's been for me LARGELY A SIMULATION -- what I've called at times ND 2.0. I give ND credit WHERE CREDIT IS DUE, but I don't hold my breath waiting for what by now would INDEED by a MYTHICAL NC. Or promote what I consider to be endlessly LUDICROUS THEORIES as to how that might be achieved.

This isn't CONDEMNATION of anyone but simply MY OWN APPRAISAL of what I see as DEFICIENCIES in the UNDERLYING PRODUCT. Frankly, I can FORESEE NO SCENARIO under which ND -- without SIGNFICANTLY CHANGING ITS STRIPES -- is going to become the next Dodgers, Red Sox or Buffalo Bills. Those weren't just lucky outcomes. Those teams were and/or have been EXACTINGLY BUILT TO WIN -- NO HOLDS BARRED.

Since Holtz, has ND EVER MADE THAT KIND OF COMMITMENT? No, it's ACADEMIC MISSSION WON'T ALLOW IT. Sure, there could be that one CINDERELLA YEAR, but, overall, the PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY just don't support it on an ONGOING BASIS.

But here's where you're really not getting me. NONE OF THIS IS BOTHERING ME. And I couldn't be more RELAXED as much of my analysis has HELD UP over the last 35 years and is STILL HOLDING UP. I'm not some WHINER here BITCHIN' and MOANIN'. I'm just a COLD-BLOODED OLD TRADER looking to be on the RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRADE.

I genuinely HOPE ND DOES WELL AND CONTINUE TO PULL FOR IT, but if, in my opinion, it's wandered off into the WEEDS, I will SHORT IT, no question. Not monetarily, but with POSTS. If and when there are GLARING DEFICIENCIES or CONTRADICTIONS in the ND narrative as I see it, I WILL POUNCE.

Again, DO NOT WORRY. I'm COMPLETELY RELAXED about how I see all of this and my approach to it. I wouldn't for a second have the ACUMEN to predict individual game outcomes, but I DO KNOW A TREND WHEN I SEE ONE.

Again, I couldn't be CALMER.

I'm the John Goodman character:

Calmer Than You Are

Okay, I see you are a VERY STAUNCH SUPPORTER, and that's fine. But you ARE ATTACKING my POV and even my attitude. Clearly, what I write is OFFENDING YOU. But that's not my intention. This isn't PERSONAL. And in no way are either you or anyone else being TARGETED.

But, hey, at least you're talking about the TEAM now and NOT SO MUCH ABOUT ME.

I think your problem with me is that you're more an ADVOCATE than an ANALYST, even though you're a GOOD ANALYST. But it seems you simply don't want guys like me saying what you consider to be DISPARAGING THINGS about the team. Problem is, I'm NOT an advocate. At best, I'm an INTERESTED PARTY.

I was a very strong supporter of ND football under Holtz. Since then, it's been for me LARGELY A SIMULATION -- what I've called at times ND 2.0. I give ND credit WHERE CREDIT IS DUE, but I don't hold my breath waiting for what by now would INDEED by a MYTHICAL NC. Or promote what I consider to be endlessly LUDICROUS THEORIES as to how that might be achieved.

This isn't CONDEMNATION of anyone but simply MY OWN APPRAISAL of what I see as DEFICIENCIES in the UNDERLYING PRODUCT. Frankly, I can FORESEE NO SCENARIO under which ND -- without SIGNFICANTLY CHANGING ITS STRIPES -- is going to become the next Dodgers, Red Sox or Buffalo Bills. Those weren't just lucky outcomes. Those teams were and/or have been EXACTINGLY BUILT TO WIN -- NO HOLDS BARRED.

Since Holtz, has ND EVER MADE THAT KIND OF COMMITMENT? No, it's ACADEMIC MISSSION WON'T ALLOW IT. Sure, there could be that one CINDERELLA YEAR, but, overall, the PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY just don't support it on an ONGOING BASIS.

But here's where you're really not getting me. NONE OF THIS IS BOTHERING ME. And I couldn't be more RELAXED as much of my analysis has HELD UP over the last 35 years and is STILL HOLDING UP. I'm not some WHINER here BITCHIN' and MOANIN'. I'm just a COLD-BLOODED OLD TRADER looking to be on the RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRADE.

I genuinely HOPE ND DOES WELL AND CONTINUE TO PULL FOR IT, but if, in my opinion, it's wandered off into the WEEDS, I will SHORT IT, no question. Not monetarily, but with POSTS. If and when there are GLARING DEFICIENCIES or CONTRADICTIONS in the ND narrative as I see it, I WILL POUNCE.

Again, DO NOT WORRY. I'm COMPLETELY RELAXED about how I see all of this and my approach to it. I wouldn't for a second have the ACUMEN to predict individual game outcomes, but I DO KNOW A TREND WHEN I SEE ONE.

Again, I couldn't be CALMER.

I'm the John Goodman character:

Calmer Than You Are
Good football player!!!! :)

Reactions: 4-4-3
So if ND wins it all (or had they broken thru in ‘12, ‘18 or ‘20) it’ll be a Cinderella year that doesn’t jive w/ you “knowing trends”, so you’ll still be right? Lol. Never have I heard a person that can never be wrong (or even have a disappointment or regret in life) like this poster. Congrats, oh mighty one, for being the all knowing. 🤮

No one is making you read my posts. But you apparently ARE, and that's fine as that's your CHOICE. My choice is to write the way I wish.

But then, it shouldn't BE about either you or I. It should be about ND FOOTBALL. The moment someone drags someone else's PERSONALITY or APPROACH or WRITING STYLE into it . . .

I mean, would you in an intense or sensitive BUSINESS MEETING, call out your counterpart for his POOR TASTE IN TIES?

You’re wrong.

Is this sarcasm? Because hes going to have a similar type career to Book who you loved. Hes going to win a lot of games here. Although like Book, is he talented enough to beat the elites? Probably not.

You made Book all about winning, not about skill and talent. So why not Pyne? He's 3 and 0
I'm the one that said book had no deep ball and couldn't throw over the middle. I think you have me confused.

Not sure if you guys caught it or not, but Buchner has been watching games beside Rees with the coaches up in the box. It's gotta be a great way to learn.

Still the downside is that Rees has basically abandoned throwing to field wr with Pyne.

He's actually the 3rd string QB on the Eagles right now.
The fact that he was drafted by the NFL and the fact that he made the roster of two NFL teams tells you that the armchair critics from the peanut gallery don’t know what they’re talking about !

So both the Saints and the Eagles, professional teams who specialize in analyzing and assessing talent made a mistake after workouts and their analysis of his abilities, but morons like Golson5 who has no data, knows better than them. He’s a “know it all” who actually knows nothing about football, he’s beyond moronic !

Last edited:
The fact that he was drafted by the NFL and the fact that he made the roster of two NFL teams tells you that the armchair critics from the peanut gallery don’t know what they’re talking about !

So both the Saints and the Eagles, professional teams who specialize in analyzing and assessing talent made a mistake after workouts and their analysis of his abilities, but morons like Golson5 who has no data, knows better than them. He’s a “know it all” who actually knows nothing about football, he’s beyond moronic !
Lol

Hey, since you’re such an expert on evaluating NFL talent I have a great idea for you.

Send your C.V. to all 32 NFL teams and tell them that you want them to retain your services as a consultant.

Tell them about your uncanny ability to evaluate NFL talent from just sitting on your couch in your living room and watching games on TV.

I know they’ll be impressed !

I know that they’ll have a bidding war in order to secure your services !

What an opportunity for the NFL.

The only problem I can see is with your compensation.

Since there are 40,000,000 other schmucks who can do the same thing, I don’t see a big payday in your future.

Keep your day job !

Hey, since you’re such an expert on evaluating NFL talent I have a great idea for you.

Send your C.V. to all 32 NFL teams and tell them that you want them to retain your services as a consultant.

Tell them about your uncanny ability to evaluate NFL talent from just sitting on your couch in your living room and watching games on TV.

I know they’ll be impressed !

I know that they’ll have a bidding war in order to secure your services !

What an opportunity for the NFL.

The only problem I can see is with your compensation.

Since there are 40,000,000 other schmucks who can do the same thing, I don’t see a big payday in your future.

Keep your day job !
With the way some teams draft, especially my team, I would be an upgrade

I bet the Raiders wish I was the gm when they drafted JaMarcus Russell

Reactions: IrishMike409

I would definitely call somebody out if they were wearing an ugly tie.

With the way some teams draft, especially my team, I would be an upgrade

I bet the Raiders wish I was the gm when they drafted JaMarcus Russell
Like you knew that before the draft !

You’re a fraud !

Like you knew that before the draft !

You’re a fraud !
No one thought Jamarcus should have went number 1 !

The only team who thought that was the Raiders because Al Davis loved QBs who can throw deep and Jamarcus had a cannon.

Im not surprised you didn't know he was a bum before the draft !

You know nothing about footbal

No one thought Jamarcus should have went number 1 !

The only team who thought that was the Raiders because Al Davis loved QBs who can throw deep and Jamarcus had a cannon.

Im not surprised you didn't know he was a bum before the draft !

You know nothing about footbal
As to football, I’ve forgotten more than you’ll ever know.

But of course, you know more than the experts, like the ones below.

I don't get the negative reaction to 4-4-3's posts. Yeah, a little long and a little repetitive, like those of many other posters. But they are reasoned out and make a lot of sense.

Since Holtz left, it's been the same refrain: Once we get the right coach (and sometimes AD), everything will be alright. Meanwhile the rest of the world witnessed the wheels come off ND football starting in 1994 when tightened admission standards started to be applied.

Can ND still win a championship in today's atmosphere? Maybe, but highly unlikely.
For me... it's the mug, writing style, and I don't want to waist the time. They are easy to skip over though, which is good.

As to football, I’ve forgotten more than you’ll ever know.

But of course, you know more than the experts, like the ones below.

Obviously do.

You saw how his career turned out right?

Who was right, me or the Raiders?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT