ADVERTISEMENT

What is Pyne?

I was watching Kansas v. TCU yesterday. I never watch Kansas football. Their first string QB went down in a tight contest. The backup came in and blew me away. He was like a Josh Allen. Big, strong, making plays with arm and legs. He wasn't perfect, but the whole time I'm thinking. How much better is the first string QB? Does Kansas have a #1 and #2 better than ND? It's frustrating to see.
I saw that, too. Pretty stunning.

But, to be fair, the kid is a fifth year who started and played a lot of QB elsewhere. So, he not only has talent but also experience.

Still, it was surprising to see no loss of offensive momentum with his entering the game.

I think these two assessments are pretty accurate descriptions of Drew's play. There were at least half a dozen throws he made to the perfect spot, where only our guy could get the ball. The two TD passes to Mayer come immediately to mind. The TD pass to Thomas was underthrown and we got lucky, but throwing the back shoulder pass to Thomas when he had the edge on the shorter DB was absolutely the right throw. Even on the interception it looked like Drew was going to thread the needle to Mayer between two defenders, but a nice play by the BYU D lineman caused the tipped ball and interception.

I, too, was a little concerned on plays where Drew was standing back there with all day to throw. On the one hand, give props to the OL for giving Drew so much time. On the other hand, was the apparent lack of an open receiver caused by our receivers not getting open or Drew's inability to see the open receiver? On an incompletion Drew threw to Thomas in the first half, the replay showed Drew was too late making the read. Thomas was wide open a couple of seconds before Drew finally released the ball. Had he seen Thomas sooner it would have been an easy completion for a nice gain.

Not a lot to complain about with Drew's performance last night. He is developing nicely and (I hope) will only get better as he gains more experience and confidence. We should win the next 3, and then he will get tested with Clemson. I would feel a little better if we had some better wide receivers, but maybe they will also start to elevate their play.
Perhaps his height is a factor in his delayed release time. It may be handicapping him to some extent as he's not rolling out but standing there in the face of much taller D-Linemen bearing down on him.

This could become an issue against Clemson and Syracuse, both of whch have fast highly athletic D-lines and LB's.

Pyne is very limited compared to TB. If TB was healthy today, he would start the next game.

Tommy has taken a lot out of the playbook to better fit Pyne.

ND has zero vertical game right now.

Side note:

If the ND Oline played this well against Ohio State, ND would be undefeated right now.
Not so sure Freeman would switch back to Buckner at this time.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Not so sure Freeman would switch back to Buckner at this time.
Agreed. The way Pyne is playing? He's very nearly entrenched as the new starter already, I would say, just with these past two weeks. That's how good he's been. If he keeps it up, he's not going back to the bench. Otherwise we could have another Kizer/Zaire scenario, and everyone knows how badly that turned out....

I'd be more worried about TB transferring, if there's going to be any fallout from this very fortuitous, happy turn of events so far with ND football in the first days of the MF era. I certainly was not counting on Pyne being this good and this effective...

He was 22-28 with two drops! Those are Phil Simms numbers! (Good win Giants!)
Admirable performance yes. But You have t
Agreed. The way Pyne is playing? He's very nearly entrenched as the new starter already, I would say, just with these past two weeks. That's how good he's been. If he keeps it up, he's not going back to the bench. Otherwise we could have another Kizer/Zaire scenario, and everyone knows how badly that turned out....

I'd be more worried about TB transferring, if there's going to be any fallout from this very fortuitous, happy turn of events so far with ND football in the first days of the MF era. I certainly was not counting on Pyne being this good and this effective...
The problem is we have a small sample size on Buchner. And he played during the 2 games that the offense as a whole had their worst performances. Gven the 2 sample sizes we're left with:
1. Pyne, a game manager who has limitations
2. Buchner, someone who so far hasn't acclimated to the college level, but has big play potential

Obviously it’s hard to not like what we’ve seen out of Pyne. He’s not perfect, he has his limits, but it just feels like the offense “works”.

Can he keep improving and get to a place where he’s good enough to lead us to wins over Souther Cal and Clemson?

Is Buchner still in the picture somehow someway? Is there a chance TB starts next season?

I’ll be at the Stanford game. Taking my daughter to her first ND game. We can’t wait!
Buchner needs to move to wideout or transfer to a G5

Here is how 247 scouted Pyne out of high school. I think this essentially paints him as a very poised and smart QB, who is not going to make dumb mistakes and seems have a high football IQ. The intangible I see too is that he’s a winner.

Lacks size of prototypical pocket passer. Has some dual threat ability. Runs 4.7 in 40. Productive in high school with 6:1 TD/INT ratio. Quick release. Superb touch on intermediate passes. Drops balls between linebackers and defensive backs. High understanding of offensive concepts. Pocket presence is impressive. Feels pressure and moves in pocket. Can extend plays. Arm strength needs work. Accuracy is inconsistent on deep balls. Uses a lot of body power to make throws down field and on deep outs. Multi-year starter at high-level program. Could develop into an NFL free agent.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Pyne is very limited compared to TB. If TB was healthy today, he would start the next game.

Side note:

If the ND Oline played this well against Ohio State, ND would be undefeated right now.
Buchner cant throw

Here is how 247 scouted Pyne out of high school. I think this essentially paints him as a very poised and smart QB, who is not going to make dumb mistakes and seems have a high football IQ. The intangible I see too is that he’s a winner.

Lacks size of prototypical pocket passer. Has some dual threat ability. Runs 4.7 in 40. Productive in high school with 6:1 TD/INT ratio. Quick release. Superb touch on intermediate passes. Drops balls between linebackers and defensive backs. High understanding of offensive concepts. Pocket presence is impressive. Feels pressure and moves in pocket. Can extend plays. Arm strength needs work. Accuracy is inconsistent on deep balls. Uses a lot of body power to make throws down field and on deep outs. Multi-year starter at high-level program. Could develop into an NFL free agent.
Ian book light

Admirable performance yes. But You have t

The problem is we have a small sample size on Buchner. And he played during the 2 games that the offense as a whole had their worst performances. Gven the 2 sample sizes we're left with:
1. Pyne, a game manager who has limitations
2. Buchner, someone who so far hasn't acclimated to the college level, but has big play potential
You don't have to talk me to about Buchner, I would totally prefer him to Pyne without hesitation. And would definitely say he has more talent and upside without hesitation. But this is reality we're living in, and he's out for the season, and it's not like he had some lock on the job, he was only starter for two games and we lost both of them.

While Pyne is putting up A-A numbers, and the offense is totally back on track. So as it stands, I think we're going to stick with Pyne. And I couldn't be more stoked about it. Good for him. Good for the team and good for him personally. It must feel pretty good to be Drew Pyne right about ow. And it seems like he's popular with some of the fans, which is sweet.....

In the transfer portal era having a great backup is a luxury few teams will be afforded.

If Pynes continues to progress Buchner will be gone.

You really think TB would start next week if healthy? The O was terrible for almost 2 games. Even if Pyne is limited from a vertical standpoint, we are clearly moving the ball better with a QB that can make reads and be accurate. It’s also clearly opened up the running game.

I’m certainly not an expert and not making decisions, but I’m just not interested in going back to someone who is more athlete than QB. The offense just looks too ugly, and we have an inability to sustain drives and get points when we need them.

I’ll never for the life of me, understand how we lost to Marshall. Without question, this team should be 4-1 with a very realistic chance for 10-2 or 11-1.
The Oline looks and plays totally different now. So yes, TB would be the starter if healthy.

True, but if ND's OL played this well not only against the LAST TWO OPPONENTS, but also against Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia, Clemson and Alabama, it might have won THOSE GAMES, too.

Fact is, against all of those better teams at full strength, ND's OL hasn't gotten it done.

The reason ND's OL didn't perform as well against OSU had a LOT TO DO with OSU, too.

Pushing NC or BYU all over the field does not necessarily a championship OL make.
The Oline has improved since Marshall. The BYU defense is better than Marshall. This Line looks totally different.

Alabama had to play a QB, who is glorified DB, who can barely complete a forward pass. In this generation of NIL, freeze dried, have to have it right now, the days of having multiple stud QBs are over. Ohio State lost Joe Burrow, and Quinn Ewers. How long is Arch Manning going to want to ride the pine in Austin? Because he is NOT beating out Ewers. Unless a booster is running the Sarkisian's program

Pyne is guy that every top program needs, he loves ND, he is loyal to the program, he doesn't have his eye on the NFL or the portal. He can make plays, the right reads, hit the open guy and win football games when all the other phases of the football team (ground game, defense and kicking game) are functioning at a high level. He is the ND starter for the remainder of this year, Period. ND will bring in guys to take this job, that is just major college football at Top 10 schools

Alabama had to play a QB, who is glorified DB, who can barely complete a forward pass. In this generation of NIL, freeze dried, have to have it right now, the days of having multiple stud QBs are over. Ohio State lost Joe Burrow, and Quinn Ewers. How long is Arch Manning going to want to ride the pine in Austin? Because he is NOT beating out Ewers. Unless a booster is running the Sarkisian's program

Pyne is guy that every top program needs, he loves ND, he is loyal to the program, he doesn't have his eye on the NFL or the portal. He can make plays, the right reads, hit the open guy and win football games when all the other phases of the football team (ground game, defense and kicking game) are functioning at a high level. He is the ND starter for the remainder of this year, Period. ND will bring in guys to take this job, that is just major college football at Top 10 schools
They do have a 5 star freshman as well. Ohio state and Texas have good backup qbs.

Manning will start as a soph as Ewers will be headed to the nfl after next year

If Pyne can win 9-10 games, the job is his next year. I don't know what that would mean for Buchner. He'd have some decisions to make.
I disagree.

Check the Michigan QB situation:

Last year Michigan won the B10 and finally beat Ohio St. He was benched this season after the 2nd game.

I disagree.

Last year Michigan won the B10 and finally beat Ohio St. He was benched this season after the 2nd game.
Well, I think you each may be expressing the same opinion, just stated differently. If Pyne wins 9-10 games this year, then I think he’s the presumptive starter next year and it’s his position to lose. Buchner and Angeli and Carr will compete to make this happen.

I disagree.

That's actually a good point, and is a fair example. It's not impossible that TB could win the job back, absolutely not. And I would love to see that, assuming of course that it's entirely on the merits and he's really earned it and impressed the shit out of the coaches and all the rest of it. I'd have to look up the stats, but I'm guessing Pyne is on track for a more impressive statistical season than McNamara. But I'll go look that up.

One thing that is very sweet and endearing to see, is amongst ND's hyper-toxic, hyper-opinionated fanbase, it appears as if Pyne is striking a chord with some of these extremely hard-to-please ND fans. Maybe it's on account of how unassuming a jib he cuts, and so he's more unthreatening than someone as handsome as say, Tyler Buchner. Or even Ian Book. Pyne looks a lot more like your neighborhood pizza delivery driver and not a D-1 QB, and I'm guessing that suits a lot of ND fans quite nicely. So we might get to see the rare phenomenon of ND fans actually indignantly defending the honor of a starting ND QB, and not constantly belittling and berating them. Which is just as bad, but at least there's the novelty of it....

And it does seem like he makes pretty good reads as a passer. I'm not going to sit here like some people and declare that I know what's going on in Drew Pyne's or any QB's head when they drop back to pass, and what exactly they're seeing and not seeing, but he's accurate, and throws a nice catchable ball, and appears confident and comfortable enough to let fly at the appropriate times. So he's off to a fantastic start, given how poor he looked previously most every time he ever took the field before the UNC game.

Reactions: Zorich 88

Side note:

they have no vertical game because of the receivers on the field and the play calling, not because of Pyne. You have no vertical threat, and yet Merriweather sits on the bench. This is your Grandpa's ND offensive scheme.

Pyne can get the ball down the field just fine. I'd like to see him get rid of the ball a little sooner, anticipating separation. Sometimes he throws it as he sees it, and the window closes.

Calling Pyne Ian Book light is constant criticism? Similar build similar game. Book more proven and possibly better so I’m confused.
The reality is that for the foreseeable future Pyne is ND’s QB, so why not be totally supportive instead of nit picking !

Hope that clears up the confusio.

they have no vertical game because of the receivers on the field and the play calling, not because of Pyne. You have no vertical threat, and yet Merriweather sits on the bench. This is your Grandpa's ND offensive scheme.

Pyne can get the ball down the field just fine. I'd like to see him get rid of the ball a little sooner, anticipating separation. Sometimes he throws it as he sees it, and the window closes.
It's both. Although Lenzy and Styles do have good deep speed.

Pynes arm is also not very strong.

Combination of both things for sure

Reactions: BGI User 756
Bottom line if you think being supportive is blindly looking at every evaluation then you are not supportive you are a cultist kool aide drinker. That’s my belief about Pyne on 10/10/22. He has 7 more games and he controls where he goes from here. Can he get better? I believe he can. If he does then ND might have another Ian Book type QB. Although I do think he throws the ball more decisively than book did early on.

Calling Pyne Ian Book light is constant criticism? Similar build similar game. Book more proven and possibly better so I’m confused.
Book has a bigger arm and more elusive than Pyne. Book actually had a decent deep ball, he just rarely took shots. But he didn't lack arm strength like Pyne. Ian had a much stronger arm. Some confuse short with lack of arm strength. I don't think there's a correlation. Perhaps hand size matters, but not height. Golson had a cannon. Ian has a stronger arm than Coan. What Pyne does well is stand above in a mediocre QB room. If Ian was on the team, it wouldn't be close. If Coan was on the team, Coan would start. Buchner just is not elite IMO and the drop off to Pyne is small or perhaps Pyne is even better in game.

It's both. Although Lenzy and Styles do have good deep speed.

Pynes arm is also not very strong.

Combination of both things for sure

Styles has shown some flashes. That TD play against UNC was a good example - and Pyne flicked that ball 45 yards in the air and hit him in stride. Seems like those two are building some chemistry.

He has a quick release, he's accurate, and he makes good decisions. Does he have a cannon? No, but the NFL is littered with strong-armed QBs who can't hit the broadside of a barn and always make the wrong decisions. I'll take the guy that makes the right decisions all day long.

Before I realized Buchner got hurt, I assumed he got benched. He was bad. Had a 111 QB rating, which would be good for about 110th in the country. Pyne is ranked 17th, and he has been better than that since the 2nd half of the Cal game. Really, after Rees reamed him out. I think he needed that.

Styles has shown some flashes. That TD play against UNC was a good example - and Pyne flicked that ball 45 yards in the air and hit him in stride. Seems like those two are building some chemistry.

He has a quick release, he's accurate, and he makes good decisions. Does he have a cannon? No, but the NFL is littered with strong-armed QBs who can't hit the broadside of a barn and always make the wrong decisions. I'll take the guy that makes the right decisions all day long.

Before I realized Buchner got hurt, I assumed he got benched. He was bad. Had a 111 QB rating, which would be good for about 110th in the country. Pyne is ranked 17th, and he has been better than that since the 2nd half of the Cal game. Really, after Rees reamed him out. I think he needed that.
Osu was the best defense we have played and our OL took 2.5 games to start gelling. So there are circumstances that helped Pyne. And to his credit he is taking full advantage of it. Hope he keeps it up and improves

A good backup.

The play of Pyne is a reflection of Rees being more of a Kelly disciple. Kelly had great success with new starting qbs, because he'd strip down the reads and play calling. The fact is Pyne isn't at and never will be elite, no matter how Rees covers for him.

We need to move on.

A good backup.

The play of Pyne is a reflection of Rees being more of a Kelly disciple. Kelly had great success with new starting qbs, because he'd strip down the reads and play calling. The fact is Pyne isn't at and never will be elite, no matter how Rees covers for him.

We need to move on.
Is this sarcasm? Because hes going to have a similar type career to Book who you loved. Hes going to win a lot of games here. Although like Book, is he talented enough to beat the elites? Probably not.

You made Book all about winning, not about skill and talent. So why not Pyne? He's 3 and 0

A good backup.

We need to move on.
move on to what? a true freshman? The guy is 3-0, with a road win at now #25 UNC, and NG win over then #16 BYU.

Since taking over as starter, he has completed 74% of his passes, 8 TD to 1 int, and has a QB rating of 172. That would put him right behind Bryce Young at #14 in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT