ADVERTISEMENT

What is Pyne?

IrishMike409

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 27, 2011
Obviously it’s hard to not like what we’ve seen out of Pyne. He’s not perfect, he has his limits, but it just feels like the offense “works”.

Can he keep improving and get to a place where he’s good enough to lead us to wins over Souther Cal and Clemson?

Is Buchner still in the picture somehow someway? Is there a chance TB starts next season?

I’ll be at the Stanford game. Taking my daughter to her first ND game. We can’t wait!

Reactions: rgc7 and NDinNJ
Obviously it’s hard to not like what we’ve seen out of Pyne. He’s not perfect, he has his limits, but it just feels like the offense “works”.

Can he keep improving and get to a place where he’s good enough to lead us to wins over Souther Cal and Clemson?

Is Buchner still in the picture somehow someway? Is there a chance TB starts next season?

I’ll be at the Stanford game. Taking my daughter to her first ND game. We can’t wait!
He's an accurate qb. He seems to be a gamer. He seems to have moxie. He seems to be a leader. He can win the games he is supposed to win.

The question is how is he going to look against the better and more talented defenses we see. He has physical limitations

I never see him being elite, or a qb that can win a game on his own. He needs the surrounding parts to be really good.

Reminds me a lot of Stetson Bennett and Ian Book

Pyne is very limited compared to TB. If TB was healthy today, he would start the next game.

Tommy has taken a lot out of the playbook to better fit Pyne.

ND has zero vertical game right now.

Side note:

If the ND Oline played this well against Ohio State, ND would be undefeated right now.

Pyne is very limited compared to TB. If TB was healthy today, he would start the next game.

Side note:

If the ND Oline played this well against Ohio State, ND would be undefeated right now.
Did you forget the ass kicking Marshall gave our OL?

With few exceptions, Pyne‘s throws were extremely accurate last night. Not just good throws, but damn near perfect throws. As the game developed, the OL gave him good protection; and he helped the line by showing outstanding pocket presence. He not only didn’t have happy feet, he didn’t panic and leave the pocket prematurely and create unnecessary sacks. My one and only criticism of the passing game last night is that Pyne often took a lot of time to “find” the open receiver; and he won’t have that much time against elite teams. Watching on TV, it’s impossible to know if this is an issue of the receivers not getting separation, or Pyne playing it too conservative so as to avoid turnovers, or whether he just takes too long going through his progressions. The more he plays, and the more he learns to trust guys like Styles and Thomas, I think we’ll see this part of the passing game speed up.

He’s a safer and more consistent player than Buchner. To me Buchner has just always seemed awkward as a QB. Pyne can move the sticks with his arm and he can get in a rhythm. He’s not Quinn Ewers, but if you surround him with good players, he can be a 9-10 win QB. He’s looking better now that he’s the guy and is getting all the reps. I think he could win a title if he was the QB for Bama or Georgia.

What’s interesting about Pyne is that he was one of the best QB recruits even at his height. Had he grown another couple inches, he’d probably have been a five star. He’s still pretty inexperienced, I think he’ll continue to improve, and I personally doubt Buchner beats him out next season.

Last edited:
I worry he will get exposed in games where we don’t dominate at every other position group. But I’m happy with how he’s been playing and honestly didn’t think he’d even be this successful, so maybe he can keep improving.

Side note:

You really think TB would start next week if healthy? The O was terrible for almost 2 games. Even if Pyne is limited from a vertical standpoint, we are clearly moving the ball better with a QB that can make reads and be accurate. It’s also clearly opened up the running game.

I’m certainly not an expert and not making decisions, but I’m just not interested in going back to someone who is more athlete than QB. The offense just looks too ugly, and we have an inability to sustain drives and get points when we need them.

I’ll never for the life of me, understand how we lost to Marshall. Without question, this team should be 4-1 with a very realistic chance for 10-2 or 11-1.

You really think TB would start next week if healthy? The O was terrible for almost 2 games. Even if Pyne is limited from a vertical standpoint, we are clearly moving the ball better with a QB that can make reads and be accurate. It’s also clearly opened up the running game.

I’m certainly not an expert and not making decisions, but I’m just not interested in going back to someone who is more athlete than QB. The offense just looks too ugly, and we have an inability to sustain drives and get points when we need them.

I’ll never for the life of me, understand how we lost to Marshall. Without question, this team should be 4-1 with a very realistic chance for 10-2 or 11-1.
Buchner would never had hit those deep balls.
He would have overthrown them . No doubt about it.

The number 1 reason we are looking better is the improvement of the OL. They were bad for 2.5 games. Something clicked since then. They are the key

I’m just wondering how long it will be before some on this board start turning on Pyne ?

No doubt about that.

A question we have to answer is: do we have a better alternative? I don’t think we do.
I was watching Kansas v. TCU yesterday. I never watch Kansas football. Their first string QB went down in a tight contest. The backup came in and blew me away. He was like a Josh Allen. Big, strong, making plays with arm and legs. He wasn't perfect, but the whole time I'm thinking. How much better is the first string QB? Does Kansas have a #1 and #2 better than ND? It's frustrating to see.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and Rionegro
With few exceptions, Pyne‘s throws were extremely accurate last night. Not just good throws, but damn near perfect throws. As the game developed, the OL gave him good protection; and he helped the line by showing outstanding pocket presence. He not only didn’t have happy feet, he didn’t panic and leave the pocket prematurely and create unnecessary sacks. My one and only criticism of the passing game last night is that Pyne often took a lot of time to “find” the open receiver; and he won’t have that much time against elite teams. Watching on TV, it’s impossible to know if this is an issue of the receivers not getting separation, or Pyne playing it too conservative so as to avoid turnovers, or whether he just takes too long going through his progressions. The more he plays, and the more he learns to trust guys like Styles and Thomas, I think we’ll see this part of the passing game speed up.
I noticed a couple of times on replays where he was slow in seeing the guy who was getting open and to whom he later threw the ball.

I only saw a few bad throws, one was the TD to Thomas that was under thrown. If the defender wasn't trying so hard to tackle the receiver and had turned around, he might have intercepted it. Another was on the tipped pass that was intercepted. Two BYU players were closing on Meyer from the other direction, and it just seemed to me that even if the ball had not been tipped, it could have been intercepted.

I don’t understand the negative criticism directed at Pyne, or at any other player.

Pyne is THE current starting QB at Notre Dame and he’s won 3 games, so why isn’t there anything but praise for him and every other player ?

He's an accurate qb. He seems to be a gamer. He seems to have moxie. He seems to be a leader. He can win the games he is supposed to win.

The question is how is he going to look against the better and more talented defenses we see. He has physical limitations

I never see him being elite, or a qb that can win a game on his own. He needs the surrounding parts to be really good.

Reminds me a lot of Stetson Bennett and Ian Book

I think these two assessments are pretty accurate descriptions of Drew's play. There were at least half a dozen throws he made to the perfect spot, where only our guy could get the ball. The two TD passes to Mayer come immediately to mind. The TD pass to Thomas was underthrown and we got lucky, but throwing the back shoulder pass to Thomas when he had the edge on the shorter DB was absolutely the right throw. Even on the interception it looked like Drew was going to thread the needle to Mayer between two defenders, but a nice play by the BYU D lineman caused the tipped ball and interception.

I, too, was a little concerned on plays where Drew was standing back there with all day to throw. On the one hand, give props to the OL for giving Drew so much time. On the other hand, was the apparent lack of an open receiver caused by our receivers not getting open or Drew's inability to see the open receiver? On an incompletion Drew threw to Thomas in the first half, the replay showed Drew was too late making the read. Thomas was wide open a couple of seconds before Drew finally released the ball. Had he seen Thomas sooner it would have been an easy completion for a nice gain.

Not a lot to complain about with Drew's performance last night. He is developing nicely and (I hope) will only get better as he gains more experience and confidence. We should win the next 3, and then he will get tested with Clemson. I would feel a little better if we had some better wide receivers, but maybe they will also start to elevate their play.

Reactions: rgc7
I don’t understand the negative criticism directed at Pyne, or at any other player.

Pyne is THE current starting QB at Notre Dame and he’s won 3 games, so why isn’t there anything but praise for him and every other player ?
Because adults can do both things

People are fricken idiots that's why

Reminds me of guys like Rick Slager, Rusty Lisch, Matt LoVecchio and Tommy Rees. Guys who got the job done on teams with winning records. But of them all, he's doing better.

As you imply, the REAL TEST will come against the upcoming ranked teams on ND's schedule. Will he be pressured more? Will his merely modest escapability be tested? How will he perform if ND can't run?

Can he beat Caleb Williams or the Clemson kid in a SHOOTOUT?

In those games, his limitations, such as they are, could become more of a factor.

Reactions: Rionegro

Side note:

True, but if ND's OL played this well not only against the LAST TWO OPPONENTS, but also against Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia, Clemson and Alabama, it might have won THOSE GAMES, too.

Fact is, against all of those better teams at full strength, ND's OL hasn't gotten it done.

The reason ND's OL didn't perform as well against OSU had a LOT TO DO with OSU, too.

Pushing NC or BYU all over the field does not necessarily a championship OL make.

True, but if ND's OL played this well not only against the LAST TWO OPPONENTS, but also against Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia, Clemson and Alabama, it might have won THOSE GAMES, too.

Fact is, against all of those better teams at full strength, ND's OL hasn't gotten it done.

The reason ND's OL didn't perform as well against OSU had a LOT TO DO with OSU, too.

Pushing NC or BYU all over the field does not necessarily a championship OL make.
F..... moron.

Reactions: francade
Great analysis, my friend, I said a few weeks ago
that I think ND had turned the corner with Pyne
at QB, and with a lot more emphasis on our running game ! I think that ND under Pyne’s
leadership will win most of our games this season !

Your point about his likely not having enough time to throw against stronger defenses is SPOT-ON.

However, the OL played very poorly vs Marshall, too. They didn't really start to gel as a unit until maybe the 2nd half of the Cal game.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Pyne looks awesome! I'll reiterate in saying before Buchner got injured all the mojo around Pyne seemed to be heading in a definite southward direction. Understandably so, it looked like he was going to be passed up by a younger player, and that would be that. And to me at least, it showed in his body language, as he was carrying himself like a career back up on the sidelines. Combine that with his horrible spring game, and his so-so freshman year, and there was not much reason to think he would be a great QB, or even a starting QB for ND, which no one was really much counting on anyway from the start.

But he's looked lights out two weeks in a row now, and his confidence seems to be back in a big way. I definitely can say his HS highlights are terrific, and he made gorgeous passes. So not a complete shock how good he's looking this good.

I'm not willing to say he's a better passer than Buchner, as we have not seen what TB is capable of in any way. But it's a pretty much a moot point, as Pyne will be the starter for the rest of this season, and if he keeps playing like this, I don't see why he would lose his spot. Needless to say this is a hugely positive development for ND football. And for Tommy Rees as an OC with something to prove.....

Reactions: jerbach

Your point about having a QB vs. an ATHLETE is well taken. I'd rather have someone who has the team PLAYING IN RHYTHM.

I wasn't comfortable with Buchner's WILDCAT/WILD CARD approach, and I feared from DAY ONE that he would sustain a severe injury.

Pyne isn't, COMPARATIVELY SPEAKING, the kind of stud QB what we often see, TWO-DEEP, on OTHER TEAMS, but he appears capable of taking this team to AT LEAST 8 wins.

Like make dumb posts like yours !

What kind of Notre Dame fan derides the players and the team ?
I didn't deride any player nor the team. I comment on the game and give my opinion on how I see it. If you don't like it, oh well. Get a tissue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT