ADVERTISEMENT

Does ND even run a RPO style offense?

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
Watch the first 2 drives and there are numerous times OSU has 1 more hat than ND has blocker. However they stubbornly still run the slow developing run up the middle. It seems in all offenses (san ND's) the QB would choose the 1 v 1 route quick throw or inside slant where there is open space. It truly is stubborn play calling at best, idiotic at worst. They had all summer camp to figure it out. If they can't get out of their own way and adapt then we'll continue to see them be one dimensional based on what the defense decides to take away.

I re-watched the game. ND was very limited on what they could do. It starts and ends w/ the o-line and boy did the interior of the OL play bad. More times than not, they either got beat trying to guard their man or it was scheme-related in which no one got picked up. Very seldom was there any push up the middle or getting up to the second level to block the LBs. Buchner clearly doesn't trust the offensive line (I don't blame him) and I'm not sure that he trusts his WRs. I would have liked to have seen some more calls w/ the ball going towards the perimeter/sideline: end-arounds, reverses, bubble screens, rollouts/bootlegs, Buchner keep ball and run outside the tackle w/ a lead blocker, etc. When they run up the middle just keep it quick and simple: dive, iso, sneak, traps & whams, etc.

I think the OL and return game were our only glaring weaknesses, but they were both really bad.

No RPO game…TR doesn’t know that having experience only as a human statue playing QB!

The very first play that was a long pass to styles was an rpo for crying out loud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT