ADVERTISEMENT

This is why..,

NDinNJ

I've posted how many times?
Nov 23, 2018
Nick Saban complaining about NIL is hypocritical. We all know Alabama was playing this game as well. He's just upset that NIL is leveling the playing field.

Nick Saban complaining about NIL is hypocritical. We all know Alabama was playing this game as well. He's just upset that NIL is leveling the playing field.
I listen to him on Bret Bair's program and he was very reasonable and had a very evan handed on the problem including the advantages Bama, and other big name universities had.
It was mentioned there needs to be a commissioner much like the NFL (the first time I've heard that), but could be were this is going

Reactions: NDinNJ
Without directly saying it I sensed he was leaning toward some sort of salary cap for NIL. That would have nothing to do with players ability to receive dollars for commercials or promotions from the private sector but give schools the ability to get NIL dollars to athletes in the non revenue sports which I don't think is happening too much currently.

Without directly saying it I sensed he was leaning toward some sort of salary cap for NIL. That would have nothing to do with players ability to receive dollars for commercials or promotions from the private sector but give schools the ability to get NIL dollars to athletes in the non revenue sports which I don't think is happening too much currently.
Remember, it was the Supreme Court that ruled on NIL, hence, I think it will be very difficult to regulate it and/or restrict or cap it.

An interesting approach might be if the NCAA adopts rules on what constitutes an amateur similar to what the USGA does.

Obviously, the dollar amount would have to be much higher than the USGA dollar amount of $1,000.

But it’s an interesting concept, one that the USGA has maintained for probably 70 years or more.

Last edited:
I don’t think any person alive is equipped to have a debate with Nick Saban regarding what is best for the future of college football. He coached for 50 years, and from 2008 to 2023, he was the best to ever do it.

Alabama was going to pull in #1 or #2 classes and be a National Championship contender as long as he was there.

He got fed up with 18-21 year olds, enabler parents and street agents trying to soak him for cash. Then these prima donnas get to the NFL, get hit with some actual adult adversity and fold up like a cheap suit.

The goal of “improving” the student athlete’s experience has been an abject failure. We have free agency & pay for play. That’s not college football.

Last edited:
There is 1 NC. So, you better learn to enjoy the games for the sport, if you are one of those other universixties.
As for the champ, they play again the following year and you are soon forgotten; and on and on.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I don’t think any person alive is equipped to have a debate with Nick Saban regarding what is best for the future of college football. He coached for 50 years, and from 2008 to 2023, he was the best to ever do it.

Alabama was going to pull in #1 or #2 classes and be a National Championship contender as long as he was there.

He got fed up with 18-21 year olds, enabler parents and street agents trying to soak him for cash. Then these prima donnas get to the NFL, get hit with some actual adult adversity and fold up like a cheap suit.

The goal of “improving” the student athlete’s experience has be an abject failure. We have free agency & pay for play. That’s not college football.
I’m not so sure that I agree with that.
Certainly, one couldn’t debate Nick Saban regarding the game of college football, however, in terms of debating him regarding the “future of college football“ that’s an entirely different subject and I think the number of people who could legitimately debate Coach Saban about that subject are legion.

I can’t speak to the specific reasons why he decided to retire, but I would imagine that some of the points you brought up played a role

I think the great majority would agree with you regarding your last paragraph and with elements of your third paragraph.

I understand the ruling by SCOTUS, I just don’t think they weighed or were asked to weigh the unintended consequences in a macro sense.

The problem is, we’re stuck with the rules of the road and lamenting how it used to be doesn’t do us any good.

I like and would favor the NCAA adopting the USGA’s a policy on amateurism.
The de facto declaration of an athlete as a professional, based upon the amount of financial renumeration they receive.

Reactions: Telx1
Why the F would NIL money go to athletes in non-revenue sports? What are you an effin' communist or something? Or I guess that would make Nick Saban the communist....

Remember, it was the Supreme Court that ruled on NIL, hence, I think it will be very difficult to regulate it and/or restrict or cap it.

Not if you read what SCOTUS actually ruled. They merely said that schools could not evade anti-trust laws by saying that amateurism was essential. They never said that schools could not adopt regulations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT