ADVERTISEMENT

Army v. Navy

Dec 7, 2007
Who is watching? I know I am a dinosaur, but this is still probably my favorite football game of the year, especially now, with NIL, the portal, and transfers on demand. This is football in its purest form, played for nothing more than the love of the game and the honor of representing your school and the service you will enter upon graduation.

As a former Navy guy, you know who I am rooting for. Go Navy!

Have all the Bowl games been filled ? Will the winner today be bowl eligible at 6-6?

While I respect all the young men playing in the game, it's just awful to watch. The brand of football they play is just incredibly boring. I think they said shortly before halftime that Navy hasn't had a play over 6 yards the entire first half. Two weeks ago they called the OSU/UM game the greatest rivalry in college football, and rightfully so. There was pushback from some that said Army/Navy is the greatest rivalry. Again, with all due respect to these young men, this is a great rivalry mostly only to people who have served, or have family that's playing in the game. But it's the most boring game of the year. Every year. I bet a corn hole tournament wouldn't be as boring....LOL

While I respect all the young men playing in the game, it's just awful to watch. The brand of football they play is just incredibly boring. I think they said shortly before halftime that Navy hasn't had a play over 6 yards the entire first half. Two weeks ago they called the OSU/UM game the greatest rivalry in college football, and rightfully so. There was pushback from some that said Army/Navy is the greatest rivalry. Again, with all due respect to these young men, this is a great rivalry mostly only to people who have served, or have family that's playing in the game. But it's the most boring game of the year. Every year. I bet a corn hole tournament wouldn't be as boring....LOL
Not surprised you didn't like it. I thought it was great!

Last edited:
Who is watching? I know I am a dinosaur, but this is still probably my favorite football game of the year, especially now, with NIL, the portal, and transfers on demand. This is football in its purest form, played for nothing more than the love of the game and the honor of representing your school and the service you will enter upon graduation.

As a former Navy guy, you know who I am rooting for. Go Navy!
Much better game this year. More open offense. I really enjoyed it.some years it’s pound it pound it pound it. No passing at all. This year was much better schematically on O. The execution wasn’t always great but at least they drew up some plays.

Much better game this year. More open offense. I really enjoyed it.some years it’s pound it pound it pound it. No passing at all. This year was much better schematically on O. The execution wasn’t always great but at least they drew up some plays.

It was an exciting game to the end, but I never watch the game for the quality of football that is played. If it turns out to be a good game, great, but I am drawn to the game because:

1. You have two teams comprised of players who will never sniff the NFL, yet they play with their last ounce of heart and determination for 60 minutes, because the they love the game and are honored to represent their respective schools.
2. The pageantry leading up to the game, including the Brigade of Midshipmen and Corps of Cadets marching into the stadium; the parachute landing at midfield; and the pre-game flyover.
3. The interesting stories and symbology behind the uniforms for the game.
4. Watching a stadium full of people actually sing the National Anthem.
5. Watching players play the game without performing a sack dance when they make one or some "look at me" end zone celebration when they score.
6. Knowing how much winning the game means to the victors and how devastating the loss feels to the vanquished.

This isn't to say that I don't enjoy the modern game, but it is fun once a year to watch a game played for different reasons.

Guess you are a prime time kind of fan

It was an exciting game to the end, but I never watch the game for the quality of football that is played. If it turns out to be a good game, great, but I am drawn to the game because:

1. You have two teams comprised of players who will never sniff the NFL, yet they play with their last ounce of heart and determination for 60 minutes, because the they love the game and are honored to represent their respective schools.
2. The pageantry leading up to the game, including the Brigade of Midshipmen and Corps of Cadets marching into the stadium; the parachute landing at midfield; and the pre-game flyover.
3. The interesting stories and symbology behind the uniforms for the game.
4. Watching a stadium full of people actually sing the National Anthem.
5. Watching players play the game without performing a sack dance when they make one or some "look at me" end zone celebration when they score.
6. Knowing how much winning the game means to the victors and how devastating the loss feels to the vanquished.

This isn't to say that I don't enjoy the modern game, but it is fun once a year to watch a game played for different reasons.
Do you mean for the love of the game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT