ADVERTISEMENT

MF is on a mission. Project 2024

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
I noticed during the Stanford, Wake and bowl game when ND was pounding the other team MF was not happy probably because he was not happy with how the season went. Of Course, the OSU screw up and the four prime time games against ranked teams was a killer. Unfortunately, the bye weeks made no sense what so ever due to scheduling. I had Clemson as their only loss being it is not a shame to lose death valley.

Texas A&M: Their program is in scrambles just look at the transfer portal at least two five star guys are gone, but it is the first game of the year at their place. Irish by 10
NIU: ND will blow their doors off by 30 points.
Purdue: ND used to struggle with the boilermakers at their place, but not this time. ND by two TD`s
Miami of Ohio: MAC schools have never given ND any problems. ND by three TD`s.
Louisville: They are ranked 16th in the way to early projection, but they are breaking in a new QB and ND has home field, plus the revenge factor. Irish by seven points.
Stanford: It will take some time before the trees to get it together. ND by two and a half TD`s.
Georgia Tech: Here is the one I am worried about and believe this game will be a struggle being GT has shown massive improvement and the have home field, but still Irish by 10 points
Navy: Another Irish beat down by at least three TD`s.
Florida State: Newell has a massive rebuild ahead of him on both sides of the ball and the QB situation is going to take a step backwards. FSU will always have the dudes. They mortgaged this years run on a Natty.
USC: No more Caleb Williams, No more Caleb Williams. It is time to celebrate because no matter who they role out it will be a down grade. Lincoln has some serious issues; however, he got a new DC who is an upgrade. Rival games are hard to predict, but the Irish by 10 points at their place.
Army: The same prediction as Navy.
I think the Irish run the table in 2024, unfortunately, that might not be enough to get into the top 4 with a bye unless some of these teams drastically get better. FSU might not even be ranked when ND plays or USC might not be ranked either.

What is your projection?

I noticed during the Stanford, Wake and bowl game when ND was pounding the other team MF was not happy probably because he was not happy with how the season went. Of Course, the OSU screw up and the four prime time games against ranked teams was a killer. Unfortunately, the bye weeks made no sense what so ever due to scheduling. I had Clemson as their only loss being it is not a shame to lose death valley.

Texas A&M: Their program is in scrambles just look at the transfer portal at least two five star guys are gone, but it is the first game of the year at their place. Irish by 10
Purdue: ND used to struggle with the boilermakers at their place, but not this time. ND by two TD`s
Louisville: They are ranked 16th in the way to early projection, but they are breaking in a new QB and ND has home field, plus the revenge factor. Irish by seven points.
Stanford: It will take some time before the trees to get it together. ND by two and a half TD`s.
Georgia Tech: Here is the one I am worried about and believe this game will be a struggle being GT has shown massive improvement and the have home field, but still Irish by 10 points
Florida State: Newell has a massive rebuild ahead of him on both sides of the ball and the QB situation is going to take a step backwards. FSU will always have the dudes. They mortgaged this years run on a Natty.
USC: No more Caleb Williams, No more Caleb Williams. It is time to celebrate because no matter who they role out it will be a down grade. Lincoln has some serious issues; however, he got a new DC who is an upgrade. Rival games are hard to predict, but the Irish by 10 points at their place.
I think the Irish run the table in 2024, unfortunately, that might not be enough to get into the top 4 with a bye unless some of these teams drastically get better. FSU might not even be ranked when ND plays or USC might not be ranked either.

What is your projection?
There is no top 4 . Those are for conference champs . We’d be number 5 with a home game

Really only meaningful program without a title in 35+ years. Something should happen soon or we may need to drop that blueblood title like Harvard and Yale had to. it’s hard to parade around as a meaningful program and major brand when you really have nothing to show for it in anyone’s memory. 10 years from now, we will be approaching the half a century point.

Michigan won their first title since WW2. Yet were still considered relevant. And don't even talk about 97. If they won a title in 97 then ND won one in 93.

So you are saying 5 teams get a bye

"So, you are saying 5 teams get a bye"

Unfortunately, only the top 4 conference champs will get a bye (only 4 now that the PAC 12 is no longer). ND could go 12-0, finish #1 in the polls at the end of the year, but the highest seed they would get is #5 -- and a 1st round home game in December.

"So, you are saying 5 teams get a bye"

Unfortunately, only the top 4 conference champs will get a bye (only 4 now that the PAC 12 is no longer). ND could go 12-0, finish #1 in the polls at the end of the year, but the highest seed they would get is #5 -- and a 1st round home game in December.
That is totally bogus. The bye teams have a distinct advantage playing one less game

Or coaching foul ups like 10 men on the field.
That's the easy fix

Hopefully the OC hire will now fix things like slow mesh run plays on 3rd/4th and short, Finesses slow running plays when you are trying to run out the clock. Understanding how and when to plan and use PA, etc.

The biggest thing for freeman to drastically improve is week to week prep and having the team locked in every week, plus in game time management.

Last edited:
That is totally bogus. The bye teams have a distinct advantage playing one less game
"The bye teams have a distinct advantage playing one less game"

No, not really -- those conference champs will also have played in a CCG as well -- their 13th game. Unless -- they do away with them .. now, that is a different story.

What is your projection?
My prediction is the schedule will prove to be harder in reality than it appears now on paper. Not because of any poor play on our part, but because two or three of these opponents will be Much better than they project today. As for our play, we have to rebuild our entire offensive line. The only positions with returning starters from last year on the line are Coogan and Rocco; and they were our weak spots! Very conceivable that we start 5 new OL. Jagusah and Schrauth probably cemented their starting positions in the Sun Bowl, and the other three are up for grabs. Not exactly the scenario for going undefeated.

Really only meaningful program without a title in 35+ years. Something should happen soon or we may need to drop that blueblood title like Harvard and Yale had to. it’s hard to parade around as a meaningful program and major brand when you really have nothing to show for it in anyone’s memory. 10 years from now, we will be approaching the half a century point.
PSU, Oregon, A+M, Pitt, Texas, UCLA, and 6 dozen other programs say hi

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
No they don't. They will play a 13th game in a championship game. ND will not.
Nd has slight advantage in the regular season getting in, the top 4 seeds have huge advantage in cfp. If you play in the sec or big ten championship even if you lose pretty much lock to be in cfp… the game is kinda a play to have a bye

My prediction is the schedule will prove to be harder in reality than it appears now on paper. Not because of any poor play on our part, but because two or three of these opponents will be Much better than they project today. As for our play, we have to rebuild our entire offensive line. The only positions with returning starters from last year on the line are Coogan and Rocco; and they were our weak spots! Very conceivable that we start 5 new OL. Jagusah and Schrauth probably cemented their starting positions in the Sun Bowl, and the other three are up for grabs. Not exactly the scenario for going undefeated.
This is true because the schedule looks so easy, it can’t possibly be easier than it looks now. Opposite of 2023. Last year schedule looked brutal and ended up being easy

This is true because the schedule looks so easy, it can’t possibly be easier than it looks now. Opposite of 2023. Last year schedule looked brutal and ended up being easy
I wouldn’t say this years schedule was easy. It wasn’t the gauntlet we thought it would be, but weve definitely had easier schedules in recent years.

"The bye teams have a distinct advantage playing one less game"

No, not really -- those conference champs will also have played in a CCG as well -- their 13th game. Unless -- they do away with them .. now, that is a different story.
That is simply not going to happen based off the amount of revenue the CCG generates in essence ND gets a bye week before the bye week

Reactions: NDblitz
That is simply not going to happen based off the amount of revenue the CCG generates in essence ND gets a bye week before the bye week
Yes correct. So in many instances, ND will host the loser of a CCG who will be playing their 14th game at that point. Advantage ND IMO.

I wouldn’t say this years schedule was easy. It wasn’t the gauntlet we thought it would be, but weve definitely had easier schedules in recent years.
I know it feels that way because of the names, but in reality, we were like 63rd SOS. That's by far the easiest since before Kelly at least.

I know it feels that way because of the names, but in reality, we were like 63rd SOS. That's by far the easiest since before Kelly at least.
Yeah but in reality for people who watched it wasnt. 21 schedule was much easier and thats off the top of my head

Playing 3 cupcake games likely brought the number down. But osu, at duke/Clemson/Lville and usc is still a tougher 5 games than most teams had. 2021 and 2018 were easier for sure

Yeah but in reality for people who watched it wasnt. 21 schedule was much easier and thats off the top of my head
One is factual (my stat) the other is feel (yours).

Factually, not biased, not feel, based on teams we played and how good they were or weren't, our 23 schedule was the easiest in well over a decade.

One is factual (my stat) the other is feel (yours).

Factually, not biased, not feel, based on teams we played and how good they were or weren't, our 23 schedule was the easiest in well over a decade.
21 was much easier

Playing 3 cupcake games likely brought the number down. But osu, at duke/Clemson/Lville and usc is still a tougher 5 games than most teams had. 2021 and 2018 were easier for sure
Except they weren't. Schedule was like 55th in 2018, 2021 was top 25 because we played solid teams almost every week.

I don't think people get how SOS works. Playing 2 or 3 really tough games and 8-9 easier games is a much easier SOS than say playing no great teams but having 8 or 9 games vs solid opponents.

2023's schedule was harder to go 12-0 than say 2018 or 2021, but week in and week out it was an easier schedule due to so many teams being down this year (clemson, pitt, wake, navy, stanford, usc). You look at those 6 teams on the schedule and think, there's some challening games there, when in reality, the clemson game was the only team that even had a pulse out of those 6, and we lost it. Then you add a couple cupcakes. In 23 we played only one team that ended up better than their pre season projection (louisville). That's it. That's insane. That's why the schedule ended up being easy.

Everyone knows it except people who are trying to fit a narrative.
Except like the actual strength of schedule facts and formulas used to calculate teams power rankings

Crazy to think opinions don’t matter with SOS determination

Except like the actual strength of schedule facts and formulas used to calculate teams power rankings

Crazy to think opinions don’t matter with SOS determination
Yeah you have to watch the games and watch the season.

Anyone objective person who knows and watches football would say the 23 schedule was harder than the 21 schedule

Period. Thats all. You know it. I know it. Everyone who watched knows it. Move on

Computer and formulas had Washington 11th and Oregon 3rd after Washington beat them twice and then beat Texas. Computers and data had PSU actually ranked 5th going into the bowl games

Sometimes you actually have to vwatch

What good is SOS for a team like PSU, seriously? PSU is a good team but they played 3 top 25 teams, Ole Miss, UM, and OSU and lost decisively in all of them.

People say “PSU went 10-3 with the 20th ranked SOS!” So, they beat all the bad teams and none of the good teams.

Additionally, I’ll have to look back at NDs schedules for those years and see who they faced but the SOS by year is as following according to ESPN rankings system.

2018- 23
2019-35
2020-8
2021-43
2022-33
2023-44

The ability of our OL to mesh together as a unit next year is going to be crucial to ND's success. I like how the other parts of the puzzle are coming together, though we'll have to see how Riley Leonard performs. But as the saying goes, the game is won in the trenches, and we may be headed for disappointment if our OL is a mess. I am not a guru on OL play by any stretch, but my take is that we have some physically talented pieces there, and their success will rest on how well Rudolph gets them to play together.

Reactions: Telx1
Except they weren't. Schedule was like 55th in 2018, 2021 was top 25 because we played solid teams almost every week.

I don't think people get how SOS works. Playing 2 or 3 really tough games and 8-9 easier games is a much easier SOS than say playing no great teams but having 8 or 9 games vs solid opponents.

2023's schedule was harder to go 12-0 than say 2018 or 2021, but week in and week out it was an easier schedule due to so many teams being down this year (clemson, pitt, wake, navy, stanford, usc). You look at those 6 teams on the schedule and think, there's some challening games there, when in reality, the clemson game was the only team that even had a pulse out of those 6, and we lost it. Then you add a couple cupcakes. In 23 we played only one team that ended up better than their pre season projection (louisville). That's it. That's insane. That's why the schedule ended up being easy.
That’s fair but for a team like us who’s goal is at least 10-2 I think having a schedule with 4 hard games, 2 mediocre and 6 cupcakes is harder than playing 12 teams that are all 6-6, 7-5, and 8-4.

The ability of our OL to mesh together as a unit next year is going to be crucial to ND's success. I like how the other parts of the puzzle are coming together, though we'll have to see how Riley Leonard performs. But as the saying goes, the game is won in the trenches, and we may be headed for disappointment if our OL is a mess. I am not a guru on OL play by any stretch, but my take is that we have some physically talented pieces there, and their success will rest on how well Rudolph gets them to play together.
Totally agree. I think our best pieces have the least amount of experience. I’m always pushing for the makeup of the OL to be settled asap so they can work together in practice for a few weeks minimum. With Texas A&M on the road as our first game, I think this is more critical than usual. Spring practice is going to be fun to read about.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Totally agree. I think our best pieces have the least amount of experience. I’m always pushing for the makeup of the OL to be settled asap so they can work together in practice for a few weeks minimum. With Texas A&M on the road as our first game, I think this is more critical than usual. Spring practice is going to be fun to read about.
ND is going to roll A& M !

Reactions: Extirpate 6951
PSU, Oregon, UCLA, and ATM? Those are NOT blue blood programs. Might as well throw in Washington and Wisconsin.

We are a blue blood, allegedly.
Hmmm. So now Oregon and PSU, 2 teams that you have been slobbering over their knobs the past couple years, and knocking ND for not 'being them', are now not blue bloods. GOTCHA.

Funny how you keep changing the narrative.

Well if that is the comparator, ND has more CFB playoff appearances than all but Bama, Clemson, OSU, UGA, Okie (who is 0-4). 5 teams.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
Hmmm. So now Oregon and PSU, 2 teams that you have been slobbering over their knobs the past couple years, and knocking ND for not 'being them', are now not blue bloods. GOTCHA.

Funny how you keep changing the narrative.

Well if that is the comparator, ND has more CFB playoff appearances than all but Bama, Clemson, OSU, UGA, Okie (who is 0-4). 5 teams.
Yeah, but you should also note that Oregon, LSU, & TCU all have the same number of playoff appearances as ND.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT