ADVERTISEMENT

Linebackers 2024

Dumb comment
You saying recruiting rankings go out the window when guys hit campus is even dumber. Data on that? Let me break it down for ya, must be new here. Guys ranked in the Top 50 have a much better hit rate than guys outside the Top 500. So when comparing depth at positions where there is minimal experience at the college level, one would feel better about 3 guys in the top 50 compared to 2 outside the top 500.

Ya know how ND fans always gush over elite teams next man up being a 5 star? Well ND has that at LB. At DT, the two next men up were ranked 502 and 628. You’ll catch on.

Yes theyve made an impact.

Onye Rubio and Hinish were in the rotation last year of a top 10 defense. They all have experience now. And a year older

17 tackles, not 11
11 solo..hardly, mop up duty when ND won by 36 points. To put into perspective, Eli Raridon had more snaps than Onye.

6’5” 294…similar to Mills at 6’5” 305. Really prefer our DTs above 300, but power, strength, hand strength, quickness, technique and instincts all more than compensate for size. Cross is the epitome of this. Thought Onye was really solid last year, and expect he’ll make the case this year that he is more than ready to be a starter next year.
I highly doubt he’s 294. The roster lists him at 287. Cross is listed at 284 and I believe he’s smaller than Cross. Maybe Onye is taller and that makes Cross look bigger?

Size isn’t everything though and he can still be a good player.

How did he impact those games? You still think DT depth is on par with LB depth? Lunacy
Yes, of course. In 24, yeah they are way more proven

We played 5 DTs last season on a top 10 defense. All 5 guys are back this year a year older and a year more experience

Onye was very good today and Hinish was good and looks improved

DT is in a very good position. LB is extremely talented but nothing proven yet. I'm high on both groups. We have an elite Defense.

Be happy and enjoy it

Reactions: IrishMike409
Yes, of course. In 24, yeah they are way more proven

We played 5 DTs last season on a top 10 defense. All 5 guys are back this year a year older and a year more experience

Onye was very good today and Hinish was good and looks improved

DT is in a very good position. LB is extremely talented but nothing proven yet. I'm high on both groups. We have an elite Defense.

Be happy and enjoy it
Starters are 100% more proven, talking depth here in this convo which means those coming off the pine.

Onye had 141 snaps, Hinish 88.
Sneed 199, Bowen 56.

Lets circle back on this convo come November

Starters are 100% more proven, talking depth here in this convo which means those coming off the pine.

Onye had 141 snaps, Hinish 88.
Sneed 199, Bowen 56.

Lets circle back on this convo come November
You left out Rubio....

And Bowen will be a starter this year so he won't count as your "depth"

You left out Rubio....

Rubio on the depth chart? Rubio on the team? That’s an assumption and so is Bowen starting with KVA breathing down his neck. You speak of the depth of the DT making an impact- care to elaborate on the impact Hinish and Onye made? Big time impact from Onye in mop up duty. I’m here to help with data if ya need it.

You left out Rubio....

Rubio is not confirmed to be back. It's likely, but he's also going to miss all spring. We need the beef, but hard to project anything from him at this point. Just be hopeful.

You left out Rubio....

Who do you think starts at LB, and how would predict or rank the impact/kind of year they'll have?

Feels like we've got 4-5 LBs and all of them have the chance to really emerge.

Bowen
Sneed
Ausnerry
Zinter
KVA
Of course Kiser

And I'm certain that I left guys off this list.

Who do you think starts at LB, and how would predict or rank the impact/kind of year they'll have?

Bowen
Sneed
Ausnerry
Zinter
KVA
Of course Kiser

I think KVA will be a full time starter by second half of season and the next major impact player on the team. MF was gushing about how good KVA is already.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Rubio on the depth chart? Rubio on the team? That’s an assumption and so is Bowen starting with KVA breathing down his neck. You speak of the depth of the DT making an impact- care to elaborate on the impact Hinish and Onye made? Big time impact from Onye in mop up duty. I’m here to help with data if ya need it.

Yes per MF he will be back. I'll take him at his word for now

So our depth is Rubio, Onye and Hinish

Thats very good for number 3 thru 5 with your top 2 being all american type players

We'll be fine

Rubio is not confirmed to be back. It's likely, but he's also going to miss all spring. We need the beef, but hard to project anything from him at this point. Just be hopeful.
Per MF hes coning back. Until that changes I'll count him in

Bowen
Sneed
Ausnerry
Zinter
KVA
Of course Kiser

In a 2 LB set to start the year, Id say Kiser and Bowen

But we'll play 5 LBs a lot this year

Kiser
Bowen
Sneed (I think he will be a monster this year)
Ausberry
KVA

Unless there is an injury I dont see Zinter or Kia playing anything meaningful although they are capable

In a 2 LB set to start the year, Id say Kiser and Bowen

But we'll play 5 LBs a lot this year

Kiser
Bowen
Sneed (I think he will be a monster this year)
Ausberry
KVA

Unless there is an injury I dont see Zinter or Kia playing anything meaningful although they are capable
Kia looked more than capable Saturday. He was a pleasant surprise.

Hard to judge from a spring game when everything is so vanilla and the players are seeing the same plays but they looked good.

Asa. I really liked the play within the first five minutes where he gets knocked to the ground and he instantly is trying to get up to get back in the play. You hope that tenacity carries over to late in the games when you’re tired or when you’re in pursuit and it looks like you’re out of the play.

Zinter. There was a pass play where he appeared to read the patterns very quick. You wonder if he knows the passing concept so well that he knows what to expect but he didn’t seem to be cheating either.

Ausberry. I don’t expect him to play Mike or Will for the next two years. I think he’s more of a Rover type. He covered Greathouse well on a deep over route. It wasn’t a good pass but he was close enough. That doesn’t mean he can cover him all over the field but you have to like the athleticism. I wonder if he could even be a safety at some point. Perhaps he’s not quite that athletic but maybe it happens.

There were a couple times, or at least one, where it didn’t look like the LB’s were playing the same defense. Not a huge deal in a spring game with young players. There were other times where they seemed to be true two gap players where it’s not as easy to determine where to go and I thought they played it well from what I can remember. It’s really hard to say from a scrimmage like that but I do get the sense that they have good instincts. It will be fun to see how Sneed develops. He’s still youngish with limited game experience. I just want to see if he’s an inside guy long term.

There’s a lot to like. We shall see how they do in game situations. I’ve been a lot higher on linebacker play than most over the last couple of years. I think they’re in good hands between Freeman, Golden, and Bullough.

Folks were pleasantly surprised last season how big, strong, and physical Zinter was.

If Zinter and Kia are basically on the 3rd team....then our LB group should be damn good and damn deep.

I think Bowen has the inside track to start but I think he had an average game. I think KVA is already showing better instincts so Bowen is going to have to pick it up. I can see a lot of packages where we have Kiser/Sneed in or Kiser/Sneed/Ausberry vs teams that don't have a really good running game.

I just don't know how you keep ausberry and sneed off the field based off what i'm hearing and what I saw. I assume bowen will be in a lot of early down packages but come out quickly when teams get behind the chains.

I think Bowen has the inside track to start but I think he had an average game. I think KVA is already showing better instincts so Bowen is going to have to pick it up. I can see a lot of packages where we have Kiser/Sneed in or Kiser/Sneed/Ausberry vs teams that don't have a really good running game.

I just don't know how you keep ausberry and sneed off the field based off what i'm hearing and what I saw. I assume bowen will be in a lot of early down packages but come out quickly when teams get behind the chains.
Ausberry and Sneed should be on field most of time. Not sure why Ausberry isn't moved to weak side and put Kiser on bench.

Ausberry and Sneed should be on field most of time. Not sure why Ausberry isn't moved to weak side and put Kiser on bench.
Kiser is going to be the leader out there, it's important, and he's a capable player. I think he's better than Bowen at this point. Sneed/Bowen/Ausberry have been spending the last 2 years learning their own position let alone every other position in the front 6/7

Reactions: IrishMike409
Kiser is going to be the leader out there, it's important, and he's a capable player. I think he's better than Bowen at this point. Sneed/Bowen/Ausberry have been spending the last 2 years learning their own position let alone every other position in the front 6/7
Kiser is a reincarnated Joe Schmitt( although he is a little bit more athletic). He makes too many tackles 5-7 yards past the line of scrimmage. But hey, he knows how to get the defense set up, SMH.

Kiser is a reincarnated Joe Schmitt( although he is a little bit more athletic). He makes too many tackles 5-7 yards past the line of scrimmage. But hey, he knows how to get the defense set up, SMH.
I’m far from his biggest fan but you don’t want to role our 3 lbs with little playing time at A&M … communication will be big

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT