ADVERTISEMENT

Saban's one of the Greatest Coaches of All-Time, but..

NDinNJ

I've posted how many times?
Nov 23, 2018
He's a hypocrite.
"What we have now is not college football -- not college football as we know it. You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete.' That doesn't exist,"

Yea student-athlete never really existed at Alabama and throughout the SEC, aside from Vanderbilt.

You know this how ?

Did your son play there ?

Is that why he's flipping pizza's in Lodi ?

With due respect, I think you may be a little harsh on Saban. I never had the feeling he saw Alabama as nothing more than a football factory, despite the fact that Bama kept putting its players on NFL rosters year after year. Saban expected his players to go to class, but the expectations at Alabama are probably lower, as were the academic burdens that players had to meet. It is a public university, so the entrance and course requirements are simply not as stringent, both for athletes and the general student body. Alabama's GSR last year was second only to Vanderbilt among SEC schools. So they must be doing something right.

You know this how ?

It was widely known Bama had a bag man with pictures with Bama players receiving cars, clothes, ect..that were all over the interwebs. I mean there were invoices & a Bama player responding to it on Twitter with yeah I took money so what. Saban is an alltime coach and even in the NIL era he still had an advantage. It just wasnt as great an advantage pre NIL and that pissed him off.

You know this how ?

I know this how? I can't help that you are too dumb to research this on your own. If my son had gone to Alabama at least he went to college unlike you.
There's something called a graduation rate that's tracked by the NCAA and reported by every school. Look at the football graduation rate at Alabama from 2007-2018 it's as shitty as can be. Only in the last several years were the graduation rates higher, and that was due to the minimum requirement that was slowly increased by the NCAA to 89%.

With due respect, I think you may be a little harsh on Saban. I never had the feeling he saw Alabama as nothing more than a football factory, despite the fact that Bama kept putting its players on NFL rosters year after year. Saban expected his players to go to class, but the expectations at Alabama are probably lower, as were the academic burdens that players had to meet. It is a public university, so the entrance and course requirements are simply not as stringent, both for athletes and the general student body. Alabama's GSR last year was second only to Vanderbilt among SEC schools. So they must be doing something right.
Yes, but look at football only. I'll agree it's gotten much better, but that's due to NCAA requirements increasing over the last 10-15 years. Look at their football graduation rate from 2007 through about 2016 it's in the 50's and 60's

I know this how? I can't help that you are too dumb to research this on your own. If my son had gone to Alabama at least he went to college unlike you.
There's something called a graduation rate that's tracked by the NCAA and reported by every school. Look at the football graduation rate at Alabama from 2007-2018 it's as shitty as can be. Only in the last several years were the graduation rates higher, and that was due to the minimum requirement that was slowly increased by the NCAA to 89%.

Yes, but look at football only. I'll agree it's gotten much better, but that's due to NCAA requirements increasing over the last 10-15 years. Look at their football graduation rate from 2007 through about 2016 it's in the 50's and 60's
How hard is it to show up for three online classes per day from a football condo-dorm and progress towards a degree in Athletics Culture?

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
It was widely known Bama had a bag man with pictures with Bama players receiving cars, clothes, ect..that were all over the interwebs. I mean there were invoices & a Bama player responding to it on Twitter with yeah I took money so what. Saban is an alltime coach and even in the NIL era he still had an advantage. It just wasnt as great an advantage pre NIL and that pissed him off.
Yes

The press protected him like they did JoePa

His informal recruiting budget was 8 figures

He's a hypocrite.
"What we have now is not college football -- not college football as we know it. You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete.' That doesn't exist,"

Yea student-athlete never really existed at Alabama and throughout the SEC, aside from Vanderbilt.
Saban is correct college football is something different now.
It will go through growing pains before it settles into what it will be, but it won't be college footballl in the true sense

Greatest coach in college football history period.

In the modern era, there is no question that Saban is GOAT. But one can make the case that Rockne is the GOAT for his career. In his 13 years as HC at ND his teams went 105-12-5, making his . 881 winning percentage the highest in history. In those 13 years ND was undefeated 5 times and won 3 national championships. In contrast, Saban's college teams compiled a record of 274-67-1, a winning percentage of .803. In his 26 seasons Saban's teams won 7 national championships, however, and one may certainly argue that tips the balance in his favor.

Of course Rockne died a tragic and untimely death at the age of just 43, when he was in his prime. One can only speculate what his record might have been had he coached into his 70's, as Saban has done.

Yes, it is a much different game now with many more teams, so it is hard (and perhaps impossible) to compare coaches between distinctly different eras, but don't overlook the amazing things that Rockne did at ND. Seems strange I would have to make that argument on a Notre Dame message board.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Alabama under Saban wasn’t Miami of the 80’s & 90’s.
much more sophisticated. Bama got the uncle a real job which is better than a bag of cash. Law enforcement had an understanding and no one wrote an article on the Tide arrest record.
In the modern era, there is no question that Saban is GOAT. But one can make the case that Rockne is the GOAT for his career. In his 13 years as HC at ND his teams went 105-12-5, making his . 881 winning percentage the highest in history. In those 13 years ND was undefeated 5 times and won 3 national championships. In contrast, Saban's college teams compiled a record of 274-67-1, a winning percentage of .803. In his 26 seasons Saban's teams won 7 national championships, however, and one may certainly argue that tips the balance in his favor.

Of course Rockne died a tragic and untimely death at the age of just 43, when he was in his prime. One can only speculate what his record might have been had he coached into his 70's, as Saban has done.

Yes, it is a much different game now with many more teams, so it is hard (and perhaps impossible) to compare coaches between distinctly different eras, but don't overlook the amazing things that Rockne did at ND. Seems strange I would have to make that argument on a Notre Dame message board.
Also Saban understood the playoff era and his school acted on it. That means his goal was to finish with one loss or better by avoiding difficult home and homes and keeping the roster healthy for the playoff. Previous coaches were playing sudden death all season without much control over their schedule.

much more sophisticated. Bama got the uncle a real job which is better than a bag of cash. Law enforcement had an understanding and no one wrote an article on the Tide arrest record.

Also Saban understood the playoff era and his school acted on it. That means his goal was to finish with one loss or better by avoiding difficult home and homes and keeping the roster healthy for the playoff. Previous coaches were playing sudden death all season without much control over their schedule.
valid point

The NFL is a better product. Is the NFL perfect? Of course not. But it's a better product.

Greatest coach in college football history period.
Nick Saban’s career record was under .500 in the NFL. Saban was wise to return to CFB, where talent collection and winning titles in today’s CFB there is a huge huge advantage if you are in the SEC.

Nick Saban’s career record was under .500 in the NFL. Saban was wise to return to CFB, where talent collection and winning titles in today’s CFB there is a huge huge advantage if you are in the SEC.
So is Bill Belichicks without Brady. Saban would have been successful in the league once he got a QB.

Bill Belichik drafted Tom Brady.

Nick wanted no part of that.

He was smart.
Bill did nothing without Brady

Nick would have done great in the nfl with a QB

But he decided to dominate in college

Wow. Great post. Thanks for sharing. Those stats are stunning. I’m a die hard ND fan, and I follow 24/7/365, but I didn’t know Rockne’s stats were that spectacular.

Incredible numbers. Shocking and sad that he was just 43 when he died.

Growing up in the 90s, I spent 5 or 6 summers at ND Basketball camp. I used to love playing at “The Rock”. The facility had great courts indoors, then several great outdoor courts as well. It was the highlight of my year as a kid…..I couldn’t wait for that week. Fee for the overnight camp was around $315, if I’m not mistaken. We’d play bball all day, eat at the South Dinning Hall, and stay in Dillon. Great times, great memories.

My guess is you'll never hear Saban say it publicly, but I'm sure personally he knows he participated in a culture that promoted athlete first and student a distant second. However, put yourself in his shoes. Are you really going to hold onto your values so strongly that you'll bypass an opportunity to go to Bama where you know you can make millions and win titles? Some coaches will, but most won't is my guess. Criticize Saban if you want, but this issue of non-existant student-athlete is systemic that's been a problem for a long time. There are kids signing NLI who literally can't read the document. But maybe now that Saban is retired he's somewhat remorseful and wants to make a difference.

My guess is you'll never hear Saban say it publicly, but I'm sure personally he knows he participated in a culture that promoted athlete first and student a distant second. However, put yourself in his shoes. Are you really going to hold onto your values so strongly that you'll bypass an opportunity to go to Bama where you know you can make millions and win titles? Some coaches will, but most won't is my guess. Criticize Saban if you want, but this issue of non-existant student-athlete is systemic that's been a problem for a long time. There are kids signing NLI who literally can't read the document. But maybe now that Saban is retired he's somewhat remorseful and wants to make a difference.

👍

Wow. Great post. Thanks for sharing. Those stats are stunning. I’m a die hard ND fan, and I follow 24/7/365, but I didn’t know Rockne’s stats were that spectacular.

Incredible numbers. Shocking and sad that he was just 43 when he died.

Growing up in the 90s, I spent 5 or 6 summers at ND Basketball camp. I used to love playing at “The Rock”. The facility had great courts indoors, then several great outdoor courts as well. It was the highlight of my year as a kid…..I couldn’t wait for that week. Fee for the overnight camp was around $315, if I’m not mistaken. We’d play bball all day, eat at the South Dinning Hall, and stay in Dillon. Great times, great memories.
👍👍👍

Bill did nothing without Brady

Nick would have done great in the nfl with a QB

But he decided to dominate in college
You don’t know what you’re talking about, as usual

Brady was great, but Bill also built great defenses and he exited players just before they began to decline. He was a master at building and maintaining rosters that dominated for a dozen years in a league designed to prevent that from happening.

You know nothing about football, and less than nothing about the NFL

He is a football coach not a professor and he excelled at it.
Why would he be remorseful? It's not his responsibility to do the universities job. That's like asking the English literature professor to help them read a playbook.
If the kid is to ignorant to figure it out there's always janitorial services

If Saban wants to make a difference he needs to save college football from NIL and preserve some of what it use to be.

You don’t know what you’re talking about, as usual

Brady was great, but Bill also built great defenses and he exited players just before they began to decline. He was a master at building and maintaining rosters that dominated for a dozen years in a league designed to prevent that from happening.

You know nothing about football, and less than nothing about the NFL
Belichick was below average before he got Brady. He was below average after Brady left

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT