ADVERTISEMENT

One thing is clear. Book is bad

His game flaws can still be critiqued. He has 3 years of experience. Brice looked better except when Irish D kicked in. He just doesn't exude composure. He just refuses to step up in the pocket and look for 2nd option.
Yes, of course anyone can critique Book. However, seeing the same post week after week about how bad Book or Kelly is gets old. Especially when the game ends with a ND WIN!

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Yes, of course anyone can critique Book. However, seeing the same post week after week about how bad Book or Kelly is gets old. Especially when the game ends with a ND WIN!

They're not even real critiques, they're move the goalposts-style critiques from a bunch of self-pitying haters. Plain and simple.

It's a bunch of dishonest, disingenuous so-called 'fans' far too already-invested in hating on Ian Book til the bitter end. He indeed is a pedestrian talent who surely has his limitations, I think that was obvious from his first appearances as a RS frosh. He's also a pretty darn effective QB in this offense when everything's clicking, he puts up downright big numbers not all that infrequently, he got us to the god-damn playoff, and he finished last season pretty much rolling our final four or five opponents, with our offense and team looking about as impressive as we ever have in the BK era.

So this is not critique-ing, this is hater-ing, if that's even a word. I guess it is, I just made it up.

Reactions: Zorich 88
SkiBro, 19 for 31 with some drops

61.3 % CP

8.5 YPA

WIN

And you’re complaining ?
Oh c' mon. I bet Book would be the first guy to say he was lousy yesterday. 100 of those yards came on screen passes and jet sweeps. He left an easy 150 yards on the field with his inaccuracy.

Reactions: Golson5
Book had deer in the headlights look as a 5th year Sr. 4th year in a row starting a game. He missed wide open short passes and didn’t even look downfield much. I saw no leadership And no checks when duke loaded box. I do agree we are missing our top wrs. But we had open players downfield, key is, you have to look. He Looked awful again in the pocket. I thought he might have turned a corner end of last year. Nope, regression. Thought rees was bad too

Reactions: Weisnheimer
I’ve been one of the biggest defenders of book’s play since he took over as the starter, but he did not play well yesterday. There’s a whole lot of BS on this thread (as usual when it comes to book here), but he was 19-31 and should’ve easily been 28-31 had he just been accurate on some easy throws. It’s not easy to lose three guys that you’re super comfortable w/ but the throws he missed yesterday were easy no matter who he was throwing it to. I’d like to see if he missed any others like the one he missed to keys. He had time, stayed in the pocket, and just didn’t see him breaking open. We won’t win a ton of games if our passing game doesn’t improve, no doubt. Running on every first & second down didn’t help matters either. We can’t run the ball w/ any consistency and find ourselves in 3rd and longs all the time. Bottom line though, book didn’t play well, maybe the worst he’s ever played.

I’ve been one of the biggest defenders of book’s play since he took over as the starter, but he did not play well yesterday. There’s a whole lot of BS on this thread (as usual when it comes to book here), but he was 19-31 and should’ve easily been 28-31 had he just been accurate on some easy throws. It’s not easy to lose three guys that you’re super comfortable w/ but the throws he missed yesterday were easy no matter who he was throwing it to. I’d like to see if he missed any others like the one he missed to keys. He had time, stayed in the pocket, and just didn’t see him breaking open. We won’t win a ton of games if our passing game doesn’t improve, no doubt. Running on every first & second down didn’t help matters either. We can’t run the ball w/ any consistency and find ourselves in 3rd and longs all the time. Bottom line though, book didn’t play well, maybe the worst he’s ever played.

He's not going to be 28-31, you know that, don't be one of those dudes who sets the bar ridiculously too high.

I am the #1 watchdog/gadfly of unnecessary, gratuitous, or at least way overdone player and coach bashing on this board, and even I happily admit that Book was not particularly sharp. But 28-31? If he merely completes two more passes than he did, then it's a perfectly decent, workmanlike performance at 21 for 31. And for me, by my reasoning and sensibilities, that's a perfectly satisfactory performance. 28-31 would be a nearly perfect game, how many college QBs throw perfect games? Duke's not THAT bad.

Anyway, I don't want to hassle you, you're no Book hater. I guess I'm just bored, I'm stuck at home, and I would say that's too high a bar, 28-31, no matter how many more throws he conceivably could have completed. But he clearly was not especially sharp passing the ball, and he did have at least two, maybe three blatantly needless incompletions, and that's what I allow myself to get frustrated with. An easy pass and catch on a crossing route where it's a short throw and the WR's basically uncovered. No idea if it was the worse he's ever played, but not statistically it wasn't.

He's not going to be 28-31, you know that, don't be one of those dudes who sets the bar ridiculously too high.

I am the #1 watchdog/gadfly of unnecessary, gratuitous, or at least way overdone player and coach bashing on this board, and even I happily admit that Book was not particularly sharp. But 28-31? If he merely completes two more passes than he did, then it's a perfectly decent, workmanlike performance at 21 for 31. And for me, by my reasoning and sensibilities, that's a perfectly satisfactory performance. 28-31 would be a nearly perfect game, how many college QBs throw perfect games? Duke's not THAT bad.

Anyway, I don't want to hassle you, you're no Book hater. I guess I'm just bored, I'm stuck at home, and I would say that's too high a bar, 28-31, no matter how many more throws he conceivably could have completed. But he clearly was not especially sharp passing the ball, and he did have at least two, maybe three blatantly needless incompletions, and that's what I allow myself to get frustrated with. An easy pass and catch on a crossing route where it's a short throw and the WR's basically uncovered. No idea if it was the worse he's ever played, but not statistically it wasn't.
Completion percentage doesn’t mean much when you have open wrs on 3rd and 6 but you dump it to a covered guy for one yard. I’m completely good with 60% completion percentage, but need more explosive plays downfield to give our running game a chance.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
Completion percentage doesn’t mean much when you have open wrs on 3rd and 6 but you dump it to a covered guy for one yard. I’m completely good with 60% completion percentage, but need more explosive plays downfield to give our running game a chance.

Okay, fine, I'm glad you're good with it. I don't know what you expect out of this offense or Book personally at this point, you know full well what to expect. Sometimes he'll be confident and go downfield for a beautiful completion, other times he'll play it safe and stick to the easy stuff. Most of the time that's what he does, and we all know this already, and we win like 90% of the time when he does that. And that's probably why we win - because he plays it safe.

So there's no grounds for acting like every next game we play, that he's going to turn into Baker Mayfield. It ain't happening.

Well said. He was off yesterday. No way around it. I doubt he'll have a game that inaccurate the rest of the year. Just didn't have it yesterday. Happens.

I only mentioned 28-31 because only two or three plays were either dropped or just didn’t develop or have anyone open. He missed some easy ones that he’s normally very accurate w/. I know comfort w/ your receivers is important so I’m hoping that it gets better w/ more reps but, IMO, that was book’s worst game throwing the ball. He made some really good throws but overall, he was inaccurate on some gimmees. Like I said, I’ve been one of his biggest supporters, but he didn’t get it done Saturday. I think they’ll be marked improvement from game 1 to game 2, but I’ve been calling it like I see it in regards to book for the last two seasons and have to admit, this game was his worst. But, I do believe that timing w/ his new receivers had a lot to do w/ it. No excuses though, he has to play better.

Reactions: echowaker
Oh, you think? You think this forum of pretty darn vicious haters is making him out to be worse than he actually is? Yeah, I think so too.

And that has to be one of the lamest, bullshit, debunkable slanders that Book endures from these haters, that he's always missing these wide open WRs on deep routes. Like, if we had an ESPN-televised special debate with experts on both sides who were given full coaches level game film to analyze and study that the haters would be revealed as just that. That Ian Book is not some QB who could be throwing for 400+ yards and five TDs every game, and there's a constant myriad of wide open WRs that he just misses like a complete incompetent or something. It's not just bullshit it's obvious nonsense. When watching on regular TV it's not even possible to see all these supposedly wide open WRs. They're just lying. Straight up deliberately lying.

I would be willing to concede that Book may be more cautious than most QBs and doesn't have the most arm talent to hit in stride all these supposedly blatantly open WRs, and so maybe he's more temperamentally inclined to look for the easier, more high-percentage throws. Which is fine, he's playing to his strengths. My only occasional grumble is screwing up some of the easy throws for no particularly good reason, but that's also going to happen. No QB passes for 75% percentage, even in spread offenses.

Bottom line Ian Book IMO does not have that much arm talent, he's not that good a thrower. He's competent, and he can be a very successful system QB in this offense when he's in his groove and he will hit some downfield throws as well. And that's pretty much what he's been, it's what this offense is, and the team has been remarkably successful with him as the starter, and he has personally put up excellent numbers overall. And the odds that Brandon Clark or even the great Phil Jurkovic is going to take over and start throwing 40-yard darts down the field one after another is not just fantasy stuff, it's deliberate nonsense from this sorry ass crew of haters on this board who go out of their way, very clumsily, very transparently, to shit all over Ian Book week after week because they're bored, unfulfilled and lonely men.
Book is in season 4 playing QB for one of the most high profile schools in country. Yet, There’s a reason why Book has never Sniffed any accolades for Heisman or Davey O’Brien or put in the conversation with top QBs. He is average

you make excuses for him and bash fans. Good luck getting anyone to go in your foxhole.

Reactions: valianted25
Book is in season 4 playing QB for one of the most high profile schools in country. Yet, There’s a reason why Book has never Sniffed any accolades for Heisman or Davey O’Brien or put in the conversation with top QBs. He is average

you make excuses for him and bash fans. Good luck getting anyone to go in your foxhole.

My foxhole? Classic. Yeah, that's what I want, a bunch of meatheaded MAGA hater chuds in my foxhole with me.

Honestly, does it sound like I'm trying to win you over?

Well said. He was off yesterday. No way around it. I doubt he'll have a game that inaccurate the rest of the year. Just didn't have it yesterday. Happens.
less worried about his inaccuracy on short passes and more worried about his awful pocket awareness and movement within the pocket. That took a long time to get under control last year. I know he'll be accurate on his short passes.

I'm not expecting him to be hitting bombs all game, but he can't run into sacks and negative plays. DUke brought a lot of pressure, a little patience and he had guys wide open not even that far downfield at times.

My foxhole? Classic. Yeah, that's what I want, a bunch of meatheaded MAGA hater chuds in my foxhole with me.

Honestly, does it sound like I'm trying to win you over?

i don’t have a clue what your response means. My point is that Book is average. That’s indisputable. It’s not a bad thing. It’s not a good thing. I don’t crap on the guy. I accept him as decent.

I don’t think it’s accurate on your part to bash fans who have criticized Book. That’s what fans do
Book invites critique by his play. He sucked Saturday and that is not worthy of a mulligan as some seem quick to give

he’s in year 4. Mulligans don’t apply. He is average.
Find the open receiver. Miss him if u must. But find him and that would be huge

instead he is out of the pocket running around. As I said, his limitations are well known so coaches should give him set plays based on timing

i don’t have a clue what your response means. My point is that Book is average. That’s indisputable. It’s not a bad thing. It’s not a good thing. I don’t crap on the guy. I accept him as decent.

I don’t think it’s accurate on your part to bash fans who have criticized Book. That’s what fans do
Book invites critique by his play. He sucked Saturday and that is not worthy of a mulligan as some seem quick to give

he’s in year 4. Mulligans don’t apply. He is average.
Find the open receiver. Miss him if u must. But find him and that would be huge

instead he is out of the pocket running around. As I said, his limitations are well known so coaches should give him set plays based on timing

Whatever, man. It's all you. You hate all you want, and you justify it all you want. That's cleary how it's going to go, so have at it.

Er.... Where exactly is the hate?

I think you know what is meant by being called a hater. But don't worry aboiut it, I'll call off the dogs. You go ahead and shit on Ian Book for as long and hard as you want. I can't keep this up all season long, and you guys live for this shit. But it's just an instinct on my part, you know? As silly as it is, I get that esprit de corps, unlike yourself. And every time you keep shitting on our starting QB I get all pugnacious about it! That's just how I'm wired. Especially when we're doing so good. Ian Book got us to the playoff, and he'll always be aces in my book.

Anyway, you do what you do, and I will do my darndest not to interfere, since you're such a fan.

I think you know what is meant by being called a hater. But don't worry aboiut it, I'll call off the dogs. You go ahead and shit on Ian Book for as long and hard as you want. I can't keep this up all season long, and you guys live for this shit. But it's just an instinct on my part, you know? As silly as it is, I get that esprit de corps, unlike yourself. And every time you keep shitting on our starting QB I get all pugnacious about it! That's just how I'm wired. Especially when we're doing so good. Ian Book got us to the playoff, and he'll always be aces in my book.

Anyway, you do what you do, and I will do my darndest not to interfere, since you're such a fan.
2 sensitive. Chill. U Lov the QB. I think he’s average. Let’s see who wants him at next level
There’s no hate

agreed. Glad we got the win but just tough to watch him at times.

agreed. Glad we got the win but just tough to watch him at times.
For me it’s the lack of improvement when he has ample time to improve....
Thought he would improve leading into Clemson, he was awful, thought he would improve pocket presence in offseason leading to Louisville, he want good there and struggled until end of vtech game... he made improvements toward the end of last year so I thought he would have command of offense vs duke, he was not good.
I don’t get it, only thing I can think of is he’s Scared in the pocket and can’t completely get over it, that’s why he’s typically worse in early stages of games

Thought he would improve leading into Clemson, he was awful, thought he would improve pocket presence in offseason leading to Louisville, he want good there and struggled until end of vtech game... he made improvements toward the end of last year so I thought he would have command of offense vs duke, he was not good.
I don’t get it, only thing I can think of is he’s Scared in the pocket and can’t completely get over it, that’s why he’s typically worse in early stages of games
Deer meets headlight!

Deer meets headlight!
Exactly, riding book while he plays so poorly either shows one of 3 things.

1. Kelly and Rees believe book can play much better
2. Kelly is just going to keep playing book because he's a favorite
3. Our backups are not ready or good enough to beat out book despite his poor play

Hopefully it's 1 and 1 comes true.

Reactions: spenna

The funny thing is, he's so afraid to get hit - until he gets hit! Then he bounces right up! He's tougher than he believes of himself. It seems to me that he gets into focus more, is when he takes a good hit. That's one thing I like about him.

And he seems to play with much more confidence in himself when he plays a team he's supposed to beat and plays free of the panic feet. The thing he has to realize is he could take his worst hit from the worst team they will play, so just go out there and know hits will come with the position whether it's the scary defenses or the teams less scary.

The funny thing is, he's so afraid to get hit - until he gets hit! Then he bounces right up! He's tougher than he believes of himself. It seems to me that he gets into focus more, is when he takes a good hit. That's one thing I like about him.

And he seems to play with much more confidence in himself when he plays a team he's supposed to beat and plays free of the panic feet. The thing he has to realize is he could take his worst hit from the worst team they will play, so just go out there and know hits will come with the position whether it's the scary defenses or the teams less scary.
Agree, I'm not sure i've ever seen an oline pass block as good as ND did last year at Georgia vs a really good D. Book had absolutely all day and was hardly even touched. My point, he should have unbelievable confidence in the pass blocking of the oline. Their Run game blocking is far from perfect, but they've done a tremendous job in pass pro. Wimbush even made huge strides in his pocket awareness, he just for some reason lost accuracy in his passing ability.

Shut up with the Trump supporter hate, Sassy pants, you commie b*tch !

lol There's the Bodi I've known and become buds with! Can't really give it a "like" because well, you know, but did think it funny. That person went to the political first, which is rare for a liberal to do here, and it wasn't necessary to attack a political stance when discussing Book and the ND offense. Hence, my siding with you and ski. Don't get used to it, lol.

lol There's the Bodi I've known and become buds with! Can't really give it a "like" because well, you know, but did think it funny. That person went to the political first, which is rare for a liberal to do here, and it wasn't necessary to attack a political stance when discussing Book and the ND offense. Hence, my siding with you and ski. Don't get used to it, lol.

w

u r killing me. It’s becoming a love fest with Bodester

I can’t handle it. Please wake me up with a Trumpanzee complement soon or I might think u r ok

w

u r killing me. It’s becoming a love fest with Bodester

I can’t handle it. Please wake me up with a Trumpanzee complement soon or I might think u r ok

haha, nope! Not starting anything! ;)

I would MUCH rather we all stick to football. And win the Nat'l Championship!

Go Irish!

Reactions: theskibro
Remind me again, what did their preseason consist of ?
It wasn’t until game 8 last year where things starting improving for book, how big of a per season does he need? USF won’t tell us anything, wake will tell us more.

The same as every other teams preseason. Doesn't excuse missing throws a competent high school QB should complete and still being skittish in the pocket as a third year starter.

Remind me again, what’s his win - loss record.

One thing I've noticed with ND QBs, it seems like once they get injured while running the ball, they're never the same. Golson, Wimbush, now Book. I think they almost subconsciously become afraid of being injured again, and their play regresses. My personal theory...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT