ADVERTISEMENT

One thing is clear. Book is bad

The three biggest games of Book’s career thus far were arguably Clemson, Georgia and Michigan. These were TEAM loses, but except For the last drive of the Georgia game, Book played poorly in each. We all aspire for a NC at best, but at least a competitive team in the BIG games, and Book hasn’t shown he can carry a team and deliver in the big games. Beat the teams we are favored to beat this season as he has done thus far in his career, and get that one big game upset against Clemson, and Book will have earned whatever accolades come his way. Absent a signature win against an elite favored team, Book will continue to be viewed as an above average QB, lacking the ability to take us to where we aspire.

The three biggest games of Book’s career thus far were arguably Clemson, Georgia and Michigan. These were TEAM loses, but except For the last drive of the Georgia game, Book played poorly in each. We all aspire for a NC at best, but at least a competitive team in the BIG games, and Book hasn’t shown he can carry a team and deliver in the big games. Beat the teams we are favored to beat this season as he has done thus far in his career, and get that one big game upset against Clemson, and Book will have earned whatever accolades come his way. Absent a signature win against an elite favored team, Book will continue to be viewed as an above average QB, lacking the ability to take us to where we aspire.

expectation for a 5th year QB should be very high! he is essentially a pro - college QB!

Reactions: Golson5
Herbert, Jordan Love, Trey Lance, Jamie Newman, Kyle Trask, Tanner Morgan, Howell from unc, Slovis from SC.

There's a bunch. That's 15 I've named that I think are as good but most better than Book. There are more out there as well

So what would ND’s record be with any of those QB’s you listed 23 - 3 or 24 - 2 ?

And how many of those you list could gain admission to ND ?

And how many could sustain eligibility and graduate from ND.

STOP LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD AND DEAL WITH REALITY

Don't put the big game losses all on Book. Notre Dame has been doing poorly in big games since early .Holtz.

**** The Irish have the talent surrounding Ian to upset Clemson this year. And if they win, it won't be Book, it will be the whole teams win.

*** What about Brady Quinn ? I don't see any of you guys talking crap about him. He never won a so called big game. In fact he suffered many blowout losses.

Don't put the big game losses all on Book. Notre Dame has been doing poorly in big games since early .Holtz.

**** The Irish have the talent surrounding Ian to upset Clemson this year. And if they win, it won't be Book, it will be the whole teams win.

*** What about Brady Quinn ? I don't see any of you guys talking crap about him. He never won a so called big game. In fact he suffered many blowout losses.
Bodi...thus my capital reference to TEAM loses. Still, the qb gets the Majority credit for wins and loses...as per this thread where folks are referring to his record of wins and loses as the basis For assessing his performance.

Reactions: theskibro
So what would ND’s record be with any of those QB’s you listed 23 - 3 or 24 - 2 ?

And how many of those you list could gain admission to ND ?

And how many could sustain eligibility and graduate from ND.

STOP LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD AND DEAL WITH REALITY
Probably most if not all could gain admission into ND and sustain it. You have a point at certain positions that argument works, not at QB

Books teams were far superior than Quinns.

We won because we had Quinn. We win WITH Book, not because of him.

Big difference

Bodi...thus my capital reference to TEAM loses. Still, the qb gets the Majority credit for wins and loses...as per this thread where folks are referring to his record of wins and loses as the basis For assessing his performance.

Well, lets go stats then. Ian Book last year threw for 34 tds with 6 ints and rushed 112 times for 546 yards for 4 TD's
Pretty damn good to me. But you guys look at evry missed throw and ignore the good ones.

*** He was good yesterday when he needed to be as he went 6 for 7 and led to two quick td drives to put the game away.

Well, lets go stats then. Ian Book last year threw for 34 tds with 6 ints and rushed 112 times for 546 yards for 4 TD's
Pretty damn good to me. But you guys look at evry missed throw and ignore the good ones.

*** He was good yesterday when he needed to be as he went 6 for 7 and led to two quick td drives to put the game away.
His overall stats are great. But I think a breakdown of these will show a QB with way above average completion through the air of short completions ( 10 yards or less), and way below average through the air of long completions (say thirty five yards or more). Stats are useful, and I think Book has been a good better than average college QB; and I think he has shown the ability to play at a higher level, as he did on that last drive against Georgia and the last drive against Virginia Tech and the bowl game against Iowa St. He has yet to show he can play at that level for four quarters against a good fast defense That dares him to throw over the top.

His overall stats are great. But I think a breakdown of these will show a QB with way above average completion through the air of short completions ( 10 yards or less), and way below average through the air of long completions (say thirty five yards or more). Stats are useful, and I think Book has been a good better than average college QB; and I think he has shown the ability to play at a higher level, as he did on that last drive against Georgia and the last drive against Virginia Tech and the bowl game against Iowa St. He has yet to show he can play at that level for four quarters against a good fast defense That dares him to throw over the top.
[/QUOTE

You will get his chance against Clemson. But this team is so good that all the other games will be easy and Book won't get any credit except by ESPN.
The Irish will have to get their running game going first which they did not do in the only three loses Book has had.
And Book was hitting Cole Kmet alot in the Georgia game. He also hit Finke on a big play but the Georgia player took it from him.

I believe Tommy Rees has the Irish offense doing what they need to do. Establish a run game. And when Book gets his receivers in sync and Jordan and Austin get back-- I believe he will prove you wrong.
But I admit Ian Needs to improve his downfield passing game--but with no spring football he is a little behind.
He will get going on that soon enough.

We won because we had Quinn. We win WITH Book, not because of him.

Big difference

Nonsense, That’s flawed logic and not true.

Compare Quinn’s receiver’s to this year’s receivers.

The FACT is Book is 23 - 3 and there’s not a QB in college football that would have won the Clemson and Michigan games !

In the final analysis, The ONLY stat that matters is Wins vs Losses and Book is 23 - 3

Probably most if not all could gain admission into ND and sustain it. You have a point at certain positions that argument works, not at QB
What we’re their SAT’s

i doubt that most could gain entry and withstand the academic challenge and graduate.

What makes you think that they could gain entry ?

Let’s go back to the title of this thread, “....... Book is Bad.”

Only someone completely lacking a football IQ would make that statement !

Bad QB’s don’t start and go 23 - 3.

Does Book have some shortcomings ? I’m sure you’ll tell us.

But in the words of another great American philosopher, Al Davis, “Just win baby, just win !”

And that’s what Book does !

Reactions: Bodizephax
What we’re their SAT’s

i doubt that most could gain entry and withstand the academic challenge and graduate.

What makes you think that they could gain entry ?
Ridiculous and ignorant on your part

What makes you think these kids cant get into ND?

But in the words of another great American philosopher, Al Davis, “Just win baby, just win !”

No one said he was bad. Hes an average qb.

Wimbush won a lot here too and couldn't start at ucf

We have really good players and really good coaches

to name a few, Ken Dorsey, Jamarcus Russel, Matt Leinhart all road huge talent advantages to NFL payouts.

Book won’t be drafted in the top half. Yes ND has a good record when he plays, but they were expected to win those games. He’s not a franchise QB.

to name a few, Ken Dorsey, Jamarcus Russel, Matt Leinhart all road huge talent advantages to NFL payouts.

Their play in the NFL is irrelevant.

The fact that they were drafted by the NFL tells you that they were very, very, very good college QB’s

W8LNXR,

WHAT RECORD WOULD A FRANCHISE QB HAVE ?

23 - 3 or 24 - 2 ?

Ridiculous and ignorant on your part

What makes you think these kids cant get into ND?

Several factors.

1. The academic standards of the universities they attend/ed

2. Their majors

Now tell us why they would get into ND

maybe OC Rees might hire Book to be QB coach, then when When Rees becomes HC Book will be OC, opening the door for ND’s next semi athletic, averaged arm, limited mobility QB to be QB coach....

Several factors.

1. The academic standards of the universities they attend/ed

2. Their majors

Now tell us why they would get into ND
What are their majors, let me hear the 15 players majors I mentioned?

Herbert won the academic Heisman last year with a 4.01 gpa. Hes a genius. Also got like a 39 on the wonderlic which is higher than any ND player I've seen. Burrow got a 34.

Theres plenty of smart kids among those kids and a lot of good schools in there too.

You're a moron

Herbert, Jordan Love, Trey Lance, Jamie Newman, Kyle Trask, Tanner Morgan, Howell from unc, Slovis from SC.

There's a bunch. That's 15 I've named that I think are as good but most better than Book. There are more out there as well
You dodged the question once already

DId ANY of this bunch you slobber about ever show any INTEREST in attending Notre Dame?

Reactions: Bodizephax
You dodged the question once already

DId ANY of this bunch you slobber about ever show any INTEREST in attending Notre Dame?
I really dont care. That wasnt the point. Did we offer and recruit them is more important. Are we doing a good job of evaluating QB’s, no.

But yes Howell did. He camped at ND, performed well, but didnt get an offer. He'll probably be a 1st rounder in 22.

Their play in the NFL is irrelevant.

The fact that they were drafted by the NFL tells you that they were very, very, very good college QB’s

It means even NFL scouts get fooled by padded stats from superior teams.

Book is good just not in the elite group of qbs . I think everybody knows that , how far can he take us ,i guess we will see.

What are their majors, let me hear the 15 players majors I mentioned?

Herbert won the academic Heisman last year with a 4.01 gpa. Hes a genius. Also got like a 39 on the wonderlic which is higher than any ND player I've seen. Burrow got a 34.

Theres plenty of smart kids among those kids and a lot of good schools in there too.

You're a moron

That’s always possible, but I did my homework and you didn’t do yours, and I’m not going to do my research and also do yours. So it’s time for you to support your assertion that could all get into ND, meet the academic rigors and graduate from ND.

Yes, Herbert had high results, but the others you mentioned didn’t.

Now provide your evidence that confirms that the QB’s you listed would be able to get into ND, sustain themselves at ND and graduate from ND.

YOURS TRULY, THE MORON.

Let’s State the facts:

Book is 23 - 3 and no QB in college football would have won the Michigan game or the Clemson game.

That means that the BEST QB’s in all of college football would be either 23 - 3 or 24 - 2.

Is your sole complaint that Book should have or maybe have won one more game ?

Because ND’s Win - Loss record is the ONLY record that counts !

You want to be literal? Ok. Book is bad referred to the Duke game. I was clear that Book is average. That you cannot dispute

4 years and not a sniff at QB award mentions. NFL is not going to happen

he did a nice job at ND. Nice is a level below kick ass

Let’s State the facts:

Book is 23 - 3 and no QB in college football would have won the Michigan game or the Clemson game.

That means that the BEST QB’s in all of college football would be either 23 - 3 or 24 - 2.

Is your sole complaint that Book should have or maybe have won one more game ?

Because ND’s Win - Loss record is the ONLY record that counts !
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

You want to be literal? Ok. Book is bad referred to the Duke game. I was clear that Book is average. That you cannot dispute

4 years and not a sniff at QB award mentions. NFL is not going to happen

he did a nice job at ND. Nice is a level below kick ass

NICE TRY, BUT YOU DID NOT CONFINE YOUR ASSESSMENT TO THE DUKE GAME !

Had you said that his performance against Duke was less than stellar I would have agreed with you, BUT YOU DIDN‘T STATE THAT.

I can dispute that Book is average, his stats prove that he’s well above average, he’s a good college QB.

NICE TRY, BUT YOU DID NOT CONFINE YOUR ASSESSMENT TO THE DUKE GAME !

Had you said that his performance against Duke was less than stellar I would have agreed with you, BUT YOU DIDN‘T STATE THAT.

I can dispute that Book is average, his stats prove that he’s well above average, he’s a good college QB.
He is solid, good college qb. Not upper echelon. Lot better QB’s out there but hes our guy and I'll ride wit em.

But for people that care about Pro Football Focus PFF ratings, hes ranked 49th out of 61 QB’s through 2 games. So thats not good at all to start

That's a lie and you are still a MORON

You're full of sh*t and you dont have a clue

”WHAT” is a lie ?
Be specific !

IT’s possible that I’m a moron, but I’m still dozens of IQ POINTS ABOVE YOU.

As to you stating that I don’t have a clue, that’s beyond comical and speaks to your lack of even a minimal football IQ.

A question for you and the other low football IQ posters:

What’s you solution ?

What’s your alternative to a QB who’s 23 - 3 ?

”WHAT” is a lie ?
Be specific !

As to you stating that I don’t have a clue, that’s beyond comical and speaks to your lack of even a minimal football IQ.

What’s you solution ?

I didn't say we needed an alternative. I said there are a bunch of QBS out there who could have the same record and I named 15 of them and there is more. He's a solid qb but we have a ton of talent around him and really good coaches. He is what he is.

You lied about the QBS not being able to make it into ND and make the grade of they came here. You lwere clueless about Herbert and hes probably smarter than any QB we've had here. Burrow is a smart kid and has a34 on the wonderlic. You act like you know all those 15 players majors, as if that means anything anyway. Bull.

You have ZERO proof that any of those kids couldnt succeed at ND. We've had plenty of kids pass through here who weren't the brightest. Stop making stuff up. You are full of it.

MORON

”WHAT” is a lie ?
Be specific !

What’s you solution ?

Off the top of my head? 26-0.

ADVERTISEMENT