ADVERTISEMENT

One thing is clear. Book is bad

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
I think we all knew he had limitations. The biggest of which is not seeing open receivers. This guy is very average. Considering he has been the QB 3 full years, this is what we get?
No way he is QB next year. If he is Kelly needs lobotomy

Last edited:
Reactions: VTND and Golson5
I think we all knew he had limitations. The biggest of which is not seeing open receivers. This guy is very average. Considering he has been the QB 3 full years, this is what we get?
No way he is AB next year. If he is Kelly needs lobotomy
Don’t believe he has any eligibility left.

Not going to judge an offense that had 1 spring practice and a big interruption in the very limited fall practice and replaced all 3 leading receivers. Glad they played. Glad they won. Happy for the players. I watched from my couch so I’m the last guy to trash a college QB in this situation.

He had a few shitty throws. A few typically Book shitty throws. Not wildly inaccurate or anything that bad, but just bad enough for the incompletion. Not quite catchable enough. Other than that I don't think he was that terrible.

Totally decent result beating Duke under the circumstances, with admittedly Book being just a bit off.

OP however is completely worthless dogshit, shitting all over our starting QB. Unlike Ian Book, the haters are in rare midseason form.

He had a few shitty throws. A few typically Book shitty throws. Not wildly inaccurate or anything that bad, but just bad enough for the incompletion. Not quite catchable enough. Other than that I don't think he was that terrible.

Totally decent result beating Duke under the circumstances, with admittedly Book being just a bit off.

OP however is completely worthless dogshit, shitting all over our starting QB. Unlike Ian Book, the haters are in rare midseason form.
Oh yeah. He certainly was off today. The easy screen to Williams would have been a TD. Missed the throw to Keys that may have been a score too. He definitely needs to hit those on occasion to keep the defensive honest. Not gonna overreact after one game.

He only threw one ball deep, over 25 yards or so. I think next year he needs to move on, or Kelly needs to move on from him. He is no Brady Quinn.

Reactions: Golson5
I'm not a book fan.

BUT

No lenzy
No Austin

What did you expect?

He doesn't like to throw over the middle and has a suspect deep ball.

The best wrs available in this game were tes over the middle. Of course he struggled.

Hard to hang this one on book with first game in new offense and limited weapons.

Got to say I can't really stand up for him on this one, he was really bad today. Considering the competition, it was his worst performance so far.

His accuracy and decision making was terrible. Turnover inside the 10 on first down, multiple misses on screen plays for big gains, and couldn't find/hit an open reciever to save his life. He's going to need to be a lot better if we're going to beat teams like Clemson, FSU, and UNC.

Reactions: theskibro
He wasn't even that off. Just a couple of those early throws where his touch was off, and he finishes the game with a 67% completion on the day.

Other than that this was a completely normal result, absolutely no basis for any teeth gnashing. Now if you want to be unreasonable and wait for some QB to appear out of the ether, I don't even know, then go knock yourself out. But here in reality this was a perfectly acceptable, predictable result. Everybody already knows Ian Book is not Baker Mayfield, that's already fully established. So there's no need or grounds for acting like whenever he performs at a level you would about expect him to play at give or take, that it's some shocking development.

Anyone who thinks we're going to win the national championship this year is an asshole anyway. That's transparently obvious bullshit, the only reason anyone would ever say that is only so they can shit on the team when we inevitably don't. So to the haters out there, if you think you're fooling anybody you're not. This team as a whole is not much better than Ian Book as a QB. Good enough to win about 80% to 90% of our games, in fairly ho-hum fashion, and that's all. And we should be glad for that much if we get it.

Your language is offensive. Can't you utter a thought without cursing your way through it? You don't need to respond because you're going on ignore but I have no desire to read comments like that anymore. It's probably who you are but there are plenty of good posters on here who can get their point across without vulgarity.

Everyone gets an extra year, including him. Hopefully he leaves

I think this is on Kelly. He needs to let Book know another year is not productive for him or the team. Thanks for a good job. Time to get on with the next page

otherwise, it could be uncomfortable as one of two things happen - Book starts 2021 and is pushed out of the job or he loses starting job before season starts. Not a great way to go out

God help us if He starts all year. That would be a major mistake by Kelly

Ski... nothing Has really changed. He still fails to see open receivers down field, and he waits too long to pull the trigger, and he seems determined not to throw over the top. He is at his best when more aggressive and running. The one area I thought was improved over prior years was pocket presence, but then the OL gave him really good protection. He was uncharacteristically high on several Short throws today, and This hurt his overall effectiveness, including the cause of the interception in The red zone where we should have scored. It was a below par showing for Ian, and I fully expect to see improvement in his short game, back to the level we’ve seen for nearly two years. Still, teams are going to scheme to stuff the run and dare us to pass over the top, just like the past two years; and nothing today suggests we can do this. Perhaps Kelly strategically kept Book’s newfound long ball under wraps until he Unleashes a long ball attack on Clemson for the upset! Perhaps I’ve had too many scotches After the game.

Biggest concern with book is he looked like a frosh our their with his eyes and leadership or lack there of. Book looks short first always rather than deep and checking down. One pass attempt downfield while duke was crowding box, insane stupid.

The deep cross to Keys was a TD or a huge play, IB did not pull the trigger. Forcing the ball to Tremble who was bracketed resulted in an INT in the Red Zone, and took either 3 or 7 off the board. The 2nd half screen pass in which he hit the Williams in the ankle, would have also resulted in a TD or huge play,

That is 10-20 points that should have went up on the scoreboard. If this game ends 37-13 or 47-13 everybody feels differently. The OL was still soft, playing high and catching in the run game. The problems that plagued the 2019 offense, was not rectified through Week 1 of 2020

Still a W is a W, and plenty to work on before South Florida

I honestly thought that Chip long and the O line was the issue with book. Looking back it just obvious he is not very good. While I dont think the O line is as good as advertised, its amplified further by Books inability to step up in the pocket and get the ball out quickly.

He isnt a draft prospect and is going to go undrafted regardless of how well he does this year. Unfortunately he will probably be back unless he is benched at some point.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
1) repeatedly made throws that were situationally inappropriate (like the pass that was intercepted at the goal line—that pass just didn’t make sense.
2) didn’t step in
3) missed open receivers
4) does not open field by throwing deep

very disappointing to see a possible strength was a weakness, especially as running game was a possible weakness looking like a strength. Also number 87, Wu, and Crawford showed a lot.

There is no use making excuses for Ian and there is no use pulling your hair out over his performance. He isn't going anywhere as long as BK and Rees are around. It's our job to take the frustrating part of his game with the good part and accept it as the way it is and will be.

Reactions: valianted25
His game flaws can still be critiqued. He has 3 years of experience. Brice looked better except when Irish D kicked in. He just doesn't exude composure. He just refuses to step up in the pocket and look for 2nd option.

He didn’t complete a pass that Went over 10 yards downfield against a loaded box, alarming. Didn’t even see wide open wrs downfield .... he is always looking for the shortest option and didn’t execute those well, one drop by tremble

Reactions: spenna
Honestly, I’m curious to see what PJ does against Duke this week with inferior talent at his disposal compared to Book.

Reactions: valianted25
Ian Book does nothing but win !! He is still in the Heisman Hunt !!

The only Heisman he will win will be the one you give him.

I like Book and feel he has been pretty good, but he is no heisman qb for sure. Not w his happy feet he gets sometimes and not w him or not seeing guys wide open at times - the play calling and passing game plan does not help him either. Though.

He didn’t complete a pass that Went over 10 yards downfield against a loaded box, alarming. Didn’t even see wide open wrs downfield .... he is always looking for the shortest option and didn’t execute those well, one drop by tremble

Book needs a better passing game - attack - all routes are short to medium - defense just plays up - no respect for deep balls down the field. ND had one play call where they threw it deep down the field - and that wasn’t until the 3rd Qtr. They need to stretch the field - make the safeties respect and play the whole field - their short to medium pass routes game plan make it way to easy to defend

Book needs a better passing game - attack - all routes are short to medium - defense just plays up - no respect for deep balls down the field. ND had one play call where they threw it deep down the field - and that wasn’t until the 3rd Qtr. They need to stretch the field - make the safeties respect and play the whole field - their short to medium pass routes game plan make it way to easy to defend

Book actually missed a guy going deep in the second quarter because he threw a short pass toward the sideline. It's obvious he is not a great QB, but he is not as bad as he is made out to be on this board.

This is a very short sighted post.

1. Notre Dame came in with a game plan and an agenda. Establish the run and let talent win the day without showing too much.
2. Notre dame was missing it's two best wide receivers and Dow field threats
3. Rees' mo as a qb was living through the tes and middle of the field. It's fair to expect his playcalling to match especially with the talent notre dame has at te.... Book has NEVER been good over the middle or comfortable with those throws. This year will be a challenge for him.

BOTTOM LINE

This game was about establishing the run and using short throws to out talent Duke.

The concern should be the o line. Kraemer and banks are big guys that simply show very limited ability to push forward on running plays vs allowing the dline to initiate contact. Nd gets all this great press and pff nd, but the fact is their run blocking sucks and the ypc avg is bailed out by springing for long runs.

Book actually missed a guy going deep in the second quarter because he threw a short pass toward the sideline. It's obvious he is not a great QB, but he is not as bad as he is made out to be on this board.

Oh, you think? You think this forum of pretty darn vicious haters is making him out to be worse than he actually is? Yeah, I think so too.

And that has to be one of the lamest, bullshit, debunkable slanders that Book endures from these haters, that he's always missing these wide open WRs on deep routes. Like, if we had an ESPN-televised special debate with experts on both sides who were given full coaches level game film to analyze and study that the haters would be revealed as just that. That Ian Book is not some QB who could be throwing for 400+ yards and five TDs every game, and there's a constant myriad of wide open WRs that he just misses like a complete incompetent or something. It's not just bullshit it's obvious nonsense. When watching on regular TV it's not even possible to see all these supposedly wide open WRs. They're just lying. Straight up deliberately lying.

I would be willing to concede that Book may be more cautious than most QBs and doesn't have the most arm talent to hit in stride all these supposedly blatantly open WRs, and so maybe he's more temperamentally inclined to look for the easier, more high-percentage throws. Which is fine, he's playing to his strengths. My only occasional grumble is screwing up some of the easy throws for no particularly good reason, but that's also going to happen. No QB passes for 75% percentage, even in spread offenses.

Bottom line Ian Book IMO does not have that much arm talent, he's not that good a thrower. He's competent, and he can be a very successful system QB in this offense when he's in his groove and he will hit some downfield throws as well. And that's pretty much what he's been, it's what this offense is, and the team has been remarkably successful with him as the starter, and he has personally put up excellent numbers overall. And the odds that Brandon Clark or even the great Phil Jurkovic is going to take over and start throwing 40-yard darts down the field one after another is not just fantasy stuff, it's deliberate nonsense from this sorry ass crew of haters on this board who go out of their way, very clumsily, very transparently, to shit all over Ian Book week after week because they're bored, unfulfilled and lonely men.

Book is a good college QB, he just does ot have great talent, but as long as he doesn‘t Make too many mistakes, and lets his
playmakers do their jobs, ND will win most or even all its games. I think that our season will depend again on our defense ? The defense has been very solid for years. Their great play has made our offenses look a lot better than they really were .
This season will be no different.

Reactions: d1042
ADVERTISEMENT