ADVERTISEMENT

High talent Recruiting still Avoids ND

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
There is still time on the clock but one element of recruiting remains the same for ND — the very top tier talent teases ND but signs elsewhere

now, before you jump down my throat please understand 2 things

1- ND is recruiting at a level I have not seen since the Lou Holtz days and kudos to Coach Freeman. I am very happy with our recruiting and there is great talent on board
2- For the first time in a long time ND is shopping down the top shelf isle and going after five star talent that we usually have not targeted - again - since Lou Holtz

that said, we are very likely going to miss out on players - some of who - we were favored for or at least in the mix for like Dante Moore, Jason Moore, Samuel MPemba, Caleb Downs, and others

The elusive 5 stars.
Now we have one or two in the 2023 and 24 class. But we never seem to get beyond that.

I am not complaining. That is not what this thread is about. I am observing and commenting to encourage discussion.
Why is this and will it change? How can it change?

my 2 cents - At the end of the day, kids may like a lot of things about ND and maybe those things like coaching staff, campus, comfort with other recruits, education, overall feel, etc are better than other schools. But other schools like Bama, OSU, Georgia, Clemson, TAMU have something else like a winning record, NIL, or less perceived threat of picking a “different school” versus a top dog ego school I’m not sure what it is exactly because we have a winning program. So maybe it’s NIL. Maybe once you go after the 5 stars you deal with a fickle, prima Donna type. Don’t know

So hopefully this changes and the fact that we are even in the discussion is a good change. We never in recent years were in talks to land these types.

so what do you think?

• Haha
Reactions: d1042 and pem55
There is still time on the clock but one element of recruiting remains the same for ND — the very top tier talent teases ND but signs elsewhere

1- ND is recruiting at a level I have not seen since the Lou Holtz days and kudos to Coach Freeman. I am very happy with our recruiting and there is great talent on board
2- For the first time in a long time ND is shopping down the top shelf isle and going after five star talent that we usually have not targeted - again - since Lou Holtz

that said, we are very likely going to miss out on players - some of who - we were favored for or at least in the mix for like Dante Moore, Jason Moore, Samuel MPemba, Caleb Downs, and others

The elusive 5 stars.
Now we have one or two in the 2023 and 24 class. But we never seem to get beyond that.

I am not complaining. That is not what this thread is about. I am observing and commenting to encourage discussion.

my 2 cents - At the end of the day, kids may like a lot of things about ND and maybe those things like coaching staff, campus, comfort with other recruits, education, overall feel, etc are better than other schools. But other schools like Bama, OSU, Georgia, Clemson, TAMU have something else like a winning record, NIL, or less perceived threat of picking a “different school” versus a top dog ego school I’m not sure what it is exactly because we have a winning program. So maybe it’s NIL. Maybe once you go after the 5 stars you deal with a fickle, prima Donna type. Don’t know

So hopefully this changes and the fact that we are even in the discussion is a good change. We never in recent years were in talks to land these types.

so what do you think?
People love to complain

The elusive 5 stars.

so what do you think?
Complainer.

People love to complain
Is it not one of the most amazing things in life that people - especially posters on this board - have little comprehension level ? Or is it that posters just like to complain?

I could not have been more clear. I wrote - “I am not complaining”. “ “I am posting an observation to encourage discussion”

yet, the first response to my post ironically is a complaint criticizing my post as a complaint. That’s rich

Ski, respectfully disagree, CW recruited 5 stars, just couldn’t coach them.

Yes, you are a complainer. Probably an old one who does it habitually
Is there anyone with reading comprehension skills on here who is interested in discussing my post and not attacking something I did not do?

Ski, respectfully disagree, CW recruited 5 stars, just couldn’t coach them.
Scuba

yes one per recruiting cycle. Maybe. But we have never been in the mix for as many as Coach Freeman has us in on. This is a good thing. I’m just wondering how to convert. It’s not easy.

Is there anyone with reading comprehension skills on here who is interested in discussing my post and not attacking something I did not do?
Not really. Your original post is one huge whine.

The elusive 5 stars.

so what do you think?
Every school misses on players they want. No one gets them all.

Every school misses on players they want. No one gets them all.
Yes and it’s really nice to finally be in the mix for top ones. I’m wondering why tho. There are some things in play now like NIL. So the reasons for not closing becomes more cloudy than it was.

Yes and it’s really nice to finally be in the mix for top ones. I’m wondering why tho. There are some things in play now like NIL. So the reasons for not closing becomes more cloudy than it was.
The only thing cloudy is your original post. Coming off a bonanza weekend of recruiting, you read this misguided narrative.

Carry on.

The elusive 5 stars.

so what do you think?
I agree. It's probably some of everything you mention depending on the player. Yet one big factor is at ND your going to have to attend classes and be serious about your education. Sure some five stars a very good students but I'm betting many aren't or don't want to face what the ND students face. Then there is the social side with frat houses and of course the climate . I'm just mentioning a couple of big differences I see.

The elusive 5 stars.

so what do you think?

Freeman working day and night and best he’s going to get is 1 5 star. It’s a bitch.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
I agree. It's probably some of everything you mention depending on the player. Yet one big factor is at ND your going to have to attend classes and be serious about your education. Sure some five stars a very good students but I'm betting many aren't or don't want to face what the ND students face. Then there is the social side with frat houses and of course the climate . I'm just mentioning a couple of big differences I see.
All true. I am certain the staff has a view and position on this. I think the factors in play could be more complex for going after top rated guys. I would not be surprised if peer pressure plays some part

I kind of appreciate the original post. If he’s wrong, Specifically, why is he? Perhaps time will prove him wrong but personally I get his analysis.

The elusive 5 stars.

so what do you think?

What won’t change is being small, private, and academic. I’d rather be mediocre than lose the academic side. I’m a far bigger fan of ND than I am ND football. Guys like Dante, Carnell Tate, CJ Williams don’t belong and never will.

The only thing cloudy is your original post. Coming off a bonanza weekend of recruiting, you read this misguided narrative.

Carry on.
Get some help Evelyn wood maybe. And if that doesn’t work, stick some happy where your misery shines Then come back n contribute

Reactions: IrishBeer
Freeman working day and night and best he’s going to get is 1 5 star. It’s a bitch.
I love his work ethic n attitude. Basically love him. Of course the W’s will rule the day but I’m rooting for him. Recruiting these kids is brutal. Some will give their word n turn n run. That’s kids.

Give it time. Let MF build some new synergy with the program. Thus far, he is working his tail off to do that. The effort is there, and I believe with time improved results will show. MF has a recruiting game plan and is doing a superb job with it, and all we need is one or two 5-star dominoes to fall. You build some momentum and put a successful product on the field and eventually the difference makers will take note and start saying: "Hey, ND is the place for me." BK did a good job of putting a successful product on the field--except in games where the lights were shining brightest--but he didn't invest the personal time or energy on the recruiting side. He delegated much of that work to others, and it showed in our hit and miss results. ND is still a major brand, but let's be honest, it isn't the same brand it was 40 years ago, which is one and a half or two generations before these kids were born. Though ND still has tremendous brand recognition, it doesn't sell itself anymore. It will take some time to resurrect the brand. Plus, with NIL out there, it is a whole new world with recruiting. With some kids, that is going to dictate where they go to school, as became evident with Dante Moore. That is just the new reality. Finally, as others have pointed out, kids pick a school for many reasons, and while sometimes those reasons don't seem to make much sense to us adults, think back to when you were 18 or 19. Did you ever make a decision that, with hindsight, you regretted?

On the recruiting side of the ledger, I feel extremely comfortable with Marcus Freeman. If he can make that effort and hard work translate to wins on the field, you will see the program climb to the top of the mountain again. Instead of just kicking the tires, maybe some of the 5 stars will drive the car home.

Give it time. Let MF build some new synergy with the program. Thus far, he is working his tail off to do that. The effort is there, and I believe with time improved results will show. MF has a recruiting game plan and is doing a superb job with it, and all we need is one or two 5-star dominoes to fall. You build some momentum and put a successful product on the field and eventually the difference makers will take note and start saying: "Hey, ND is the place for me." BK did a good job of putting a successful product on the field--except in games where the lights were shining brightest--but he didn't invest the personal time or energy on the recruiting side. He delegated much of that work to others, and it showed in our hit and miss results. ND is still a major brand, but let's be honest, it isn't the same brand it was 40 years ago, which is one and a half or two generations before these kids were born. Though ND still has tremendous brand recognition, it doesn't sell itself anymore. It will take some time to resurrect the brand. Plus, with NIL out there, it is a whole new world with recruiting. With some kids, that is going to dictate where they go to school, as became evident with Dante Moore. That is just the new reality. Finally, as others have pointed out, kids pick a school for many reasons, and while sometimes those reasons don't seem to make much sense to us adults, think back to when you were 18 or 19. Did you ever make a decision that, with hindsight, you regretted?

On the recruiting side of the ledger, I feel extremely comfortable with Marcus Freeman. If he can make that effort and hard work translate to wins on the field, you will see the program climb to the top of the mountain again. Instead of just kicking the tires, maybe some of the 5 stars will drive the car home.
If you want the Carnell Tate’s, then significantly lower the academic expectations. Make effort in school an option, rather than a requirement. Many of the 5-Stars want the easiest path to the NFL as possible.

Many scoffed at Brian Kelly’s statement that “Notre Dame shops down a different aisle,” as opposed to teams such as Ohio St.

Believe him.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Just like at Stanford you will not get a shot at most 5 stars because they either can't or won't do the school work.

One poster mentioned prima donnas- Dante Moore is the most recent example.

They want the easiest route to the NFL and ND is NOT that.

The great majority of 5 stars we will NEVER have a real shot at.

I love his work ethic n attitude. Basically love him. Of course the W’s will rule the day but I’m rooting for him. Recruiting these kids is brutal. Some will give their word n turn n run. That’s kids.
We're recruiting extremely well. Stop complaining

No it's not. Quit being a "star" worshipper. OSU just got a commit from a 3 "star" o linemen. Why ? Because they love him as a player. Think they really care how many "stars " a subjective evaluating service gave him ? It's all about fit and roster management. It's easy to evaluate the most physically gifted players. That only takes you so far. Would you really feel better if say Jagusah and Flores were considered " 5 star " players by some evaluating service ? Not me. The staff likes them, wanted them and got them. Good enough for me

So far I'm seeing two excellent classes in 2023,2024. You won't get them all. Take the guys who want that degree. Ohio St offers classes that won't transfer to another school. Your first hint at what's up. Let's see how the class finishes up before passing judgment

No it's not. Quit being a "star" worshipper. OSU just got a commit from a 3 "star" o linemen. Why ? Because they love him as a player. Think they really care how many "stars " a subjective evaluating service gave him ? It's all about fit and roster management. It's easy to evaluate the most physically gifted players. That only takes you so far. Would you really feel better if say Jagusah and Flores were considered " 5 star " players by some evaluating service ? Not me. The staff likes them, wanted them and got them. Good enough for me

Just take 3 stars from now on then bc that’s all Ohio State does. Makes sense.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac

Great thoughts, I agree. Freeman and the staff are working their tails off. With great play, wins, enthusiasm, kids will notice.

Freeman is on the right path.

He has to beat an ELITE team at their best. Coach Kelly never did that. IF coach can do that, beat OSU, win a playoff game, we will get more of the elite talent. They want to win even more than an easy path to the NFL in my opinion. They know if they go to ND, they will be good, very good, but they will lose to the best of the best. THEY KNOW IT. You and I know it, you bet your ass they do.

He has to beat an ELITE team at their best. Coach Kelly never did that. IF coach can do that, beat OSU, win a playoff game, we will get more of the elite talent. They want to win even more than an easy path to the NFL in my opinion. They know if they go to ND, they will be good, very good, but they will lose to the best of the best. THEY KNOW IT. You and I know it, you bet your ass they do.
Some of what you mention is true. But Kelly never recruited at this level. It’s going to take a few stacked classes where we’re on the same talent level as those few programs at the very top. By then we’ll have a better idea how we stack up vs best.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111

The elusive 5 stars.

so what do you think?
Do you realize that there are only 3 teams on the 247 Composite with an average rating / recruit over 93 ? They're Alabama - 93.47, OSU - 93.44, and ND at 93.21. That speaks volumes for pulling in elite recruits ACROSS THE BOARD

Reactions: Kelso86 and Golson5
What a clown response. You knew you been had and you acted like a punk
Getting a 3 star OL doesn't make you a recruiting power house. It's the exception, not the rule. It was a meaningless response.

This is MF first class as head coach. This one will be the most difficult in my opinion. Once we start putting multiple top classes together we are going to be a monster on the field. Then the 5 star faucets will open up like it did for Bama.
jmo.

This is MF first class as head coach. This one will be the most difficult in my opinion. Once we start putting multiple top classes together we are going to be a monster on the field. Then the 5 star faucets will open up like it did for Bama.
jmo.
I feel just the opposite. Most popular, new HCs get a recruiting boost in their 1st year. His on-field results will be the critical part for MF. Not saying he has to win every game but 10 wins - or thereabouts - his first couple of years is a must if he wants to keep his current recruiting train rolling

Is it not one of the most amazing things in life that people - especially posters on this board - have little comprehension level ? Or is it that posters just like to complain?

I could not have been more clear. I wrote - “I am not complaining”. “ “I am posting an observation to encourage discussion”

yet, the first response to my post ironically is a complaint criticizing my post as a complaint. That’s rich
You articulated your points well though any post of the type you shared is going to get people who don't grasp the context up in arms. It's the inherent problem with fans, who never attended the University or don't fully understand the nature of what is ND, lack the ability to set aside the "fan" aspect. The one thing I think you did miss on is what's going on behind the scenes i.e. negative recruiting, 1st year HC, the sheer magnitude of the money behind NIL and so forth. We're clearly trending up but but until the kids see a winning product on the field, many will remain apprehensive about making a commitment and building on the number of 5 star recruits. The beauty of Marcus Freeman is his having a plan and working the plan. We'll have our bumps in the road the 1st year but as the season progresses and talent being brought in raising the bar for upper classmen to play to a higher level or be supplanted on the depth chart. Competition breeds improved play and WINS! If Coach Freeman and Staff deliver for the kids, the recruits will come. GO IRISH!

We're recruiting extremely well. Stop complaining
You shut it with saying I am complaining. Show me where I complain. You are out of line. Read. Comprehend. Contribute. Is that within your capability?

You articulated your points well though any post of the type you shared is going to get people who don't grasp the context up in arms. It's the inherent problem with fans, who never attended the University or don't fully understand the nature of what is ND, lack the ability to set aside the "fan" aspect. The one thing I think you did miss on is what's going on behind the scenes i.e. negative recruiting, 1st year HC, the sheer magnitude of the money behind NIL and so forth. We're clearly trending up but but until the kids see a winning product on the field, many will remain apprehensive about making a commitment and building on the number of 5 star recruits. The beauty of Marcus Freeman is his having a plan and working the plan. We'll have our bumps in the road the 1st year but as the season progresses and talent being brought in raising the bar for upper classmen to play to a higher level or be supplanted on the depth chart. Competition breeds improved play and WINS! If Coach Freeman and Staff deliver for the kids, the recruits will come. GO IRISH!
Excellent points and you are spot on that initially there can be an adverse reaction to my post. I am genuinely interested in hearing more on what fans think about this topic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT