ADVERTISEMENT

High talent Recruiting still Avoids ND

Interesting. Basically a roadmap to identify the top 6 teams every year. And how many 5 stars has ND had since 2016? I counted 5-6. Total The top teams have almost that many every year.
Lol. Well when the state of Alabama has the third most 5 stars you know there is an issue. They don't have really high level football compared to Louisiana Florida, Texas, Ohio, California... But similar numbers of five stars... It's almost like they are pandering....

While I agree that not every 5 star will pan out and be a star and - vice versa - some 3 stars will make it big, I have to argue that stars do matter when looking at an entire recruiting class and trying to determine - based on stars and rankings - how that school will do in the future.

Here's a CF roster talent ranking - based on their past recruiting rankings - prior the start of the 2021 season. Take a look at who the first 6 teams are. They've basically dominated the CF NC, Playoff and as conference champions since 2014.

Um duh. Think ol alone

Picture group of 2000 kids. How hard is it to pick out the 6'5 270 lbs guys? Not very tough.

Now you have say 1800 kids, pick out the guys under 6 ft. Pretty easy.

Now of the remainder pick out the guys that might be 6'5 300 lbs in 3 years. Oh shit, I can't look at all those guys and how can I be qualified to make that guess?

That's what recruiting services do.

Interesting. Basically a roadmap to identify the top 6 teams every year. And how many 5 stars has ND had since 2016? I counted 5-6. Total The top teams have almost that many every year.
No this is bullshit. The reason that guys go up or down after committing is because the recruiting pages VALUE the scouting reports done by teams at their own camps and on their dime. This is why Alabama players move UP when Alabama goes after them. Alabama has a huge recruiting and scouting operation, if they think a guy is good it's very LIKELY he is. So his rankings go UP.

Same with Texas, same with Georgia....

That way at the end of the year the recruiting sites are tying their reputation to institutions that have scouting abilities that the services do not.

So of course in hind site those rankings look great.

Reactions: BGI User 1798
Um duh. Think ol alone

Picture group of 2000 kids. How hard is it to pick out the 6'5 270 lbs guys? Not very tough.

Now you have say 1800 kids, pick out the guys under 6 ft. Pretty easy.

Now of the remainder pick out the guys that might be 6'5 300 lbs in 3 years. Oh shit, I can't look at all those guys and how can I be qualified to make that guess?

That's what recruiting services do.
The point was that who cares what method the different recruiting services use. ESPN, 247, Rivals all start coming out with their ratings around 2 years in advance for a class and will differ a little as time goes on. They look at feedback from the many camps that go on throughout the year........and other feedback. How many top level schools making a kid a priority also comes into play. Not perfect by any means, I agree.

But what you're failing to realize is that the top 6 teams at the top of these imperfect lists have dominated CF over the last 7 to 8 years. Pretty simple

The point was that who cares what method the different recruiting services use. ESPN, 247, Rivals all start coming out with their ratings around 2 years in advance for a class and will differ a little as time goes on. They look at feedback from the many camps that go on throughout the year........and other feedback. How many top level schools making a kid a priority also comes into play. Not perfect by any means, I agree.

But what you're failing to realize is that the top 6 teams at the top of these imperfect lists have dominated CF over the last 7 to 8 years. Pretty simple
Lol no what your failing to see is the correlation of high rankings going to schools with huge recruiting department budgets. As such of course their is a correlation, because the schools dictate the ranking.

The point being if Notre Dame was better developing their 3 and 4 star players then this year's class would be ranked higher, but history dictates otherwise

Lol no what your failing to see is the correlation of high rankings going to schools with huge recruiting department budgets. As such of course their is a correlation, because the schools dictate the ranking.

The point being if Notre Dame was better developing their 3 and 4 star players then this year's class would be ranked higher, but history dictates otherwise
No

You cant give a guy shit when the kid was A silent commit. I mean I guess you can but it makes you look pretty petty.
When Golson who I like gives me crap about my op being about complaining and he does it 3 times when there is zero evidence of that. — im gonna get call him out for standing firm behind a kid taking NIL and avoiding competition That’s how it works Mirer. Call it petty. I call it a guy who can’t read, comprehend or wants to mix it up with me. Mind your biz

When Golson who I like gives me crap about my op being about complaining and he does it 3 times when there is zero evidence of that. — im gonna get call him out for standing firm behind a kid taking NIL and avoiding competition That’s how it works Mirer. Call it petty. I call it a guy who can’t read, comprehend or wants to mix it up with me. Mind your biz
Golson and sjb are the dumbest posters on this board and it's not even close. Well, second and third dumb to savvy, but he doesn't count because he's mentally challenged.

Golson and sjb are the dumbest posters on this board and it's not even close. Well, second and third dumb to savvy, but he doesn't count because he's mentally challenged.
No one here respects your opinions. You're a lucked little child.

Go get some likes you tool

No one here respects your opinions. You're a lucked little child.

Go get some likes you tool
You still think Dante commits in April champ? You called everyone "dumb", "wrong", etc that had any doubts. You continue to call everyone wrong, dumb, or tell them their opinions are wrong with your little one word responses about anything that doesn't float your boat. You're a little dick that prowls the board all day and night and starts little bickering fights with anyone and everyone. You've managed to make it an unwelcome environment because you're on here even more than anyone including me.

You still think Dante commits in April champ? You called everyone "dumb", "wrong", etc that had any doubts. You continue to call everyone wrong, dumb, or tell them their opinions are wrong with your little one word responses about anything that doesn't float your boat. You're a little dick that prowls the board all day and night and starts little bickering fights with anyone and everyone. You've managed to make it an unwelcome environment because you're on here even more than anyone including me.
What a tool

Go spend some more time making a mock 24 recruiting class

LOL What a freaking loser.

Tommy Rees is your daddy you fruit cake

How does what ND did in the past affect this year's recruiting ranking

Recruiting outlets like on3, rivals, 247, etc do not have 1000 recruiting reporters doing standardized analytics to rate high school kids. They do have some and they review available film, but in most cases they take into account the opinion of successful recruiting teams. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, OREGON, osu ETC... these teams have huge scouting and recruiting teams that have proven successful at taking recruits and successfully getting them to the NFL. The shots they take on lower ranked guys gives confidence to those services to increase their ratings sight unseen, because of faith in those institutions.

Notre Dame doesn't. In fact many of the five stars Notre Dame has gotten outside of ol, have under performed or transferred...dayne crist, Johnson, Bryant, wimbush, etc.... Many 2-3 star guys never even see the field or if they do they stand out as slow or out of place. That reflects on how the coaches find and develop talent and the level of research done by that staff. What that means is that recruits that commit to Notre Dame don't get that bump, moreover if they commit early they will drop in the ratings without doing anything. It's because they are getting passed up by other 2-3-4 star guys that are committing or even being offered by programs held in higher esteem at identifying talent.

It's just one reason that ratings mean nothing.

This coaching staff is LOADED with NFL bona fides, either as coaches or players or both. That was the one thing that Weis brought to the table, and why he landed guys like Clausen and Floyd, et al.

You think Kelly would have hired Al Golden? He always favored his own cronies, and never had a guy with Golden's creds on staff. MF isn't quite that territorial, so welcome to the Irish, Al Golden.

ND IS in play for can't miss guys now, even if they don't get them. They were in play for a bunch of 5 star QBs this year, and already landed one for 2024. Is the pool a tad smaller? Absolutely, and it always will be, unless you want guys that, "ain't here to play school." But, it is NOT a different aisle. It's the same aisle. They just have to be a little pickier.

MF had an idea that never occurred to Kelly; "Let's try." Seems to be working great so far.

Recruiting outlets like on3, rivals, 247, etc do not have 1000 recruiting reporters doing standardized analytics to rate high school kids. They do have some and they review available film, but in most cases they take into account the opinion of successful recruiting teams. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, OREGON, osu ETC... these teams have huge scouting and recruiting teams that have proven successful at taking recruits and successfully getting them to the NFL. The shots they take on lower ranked guys gives confidence to those services to increase their ratings sight unseen, because of faith in those institutions.

Notre Dame doesn't. In fact many of the five stars Notre Dame has gotten outside of ol, have under performed or transferred...dayne crist, Johnson, Bryant, wimbush, etc.... Many 2-3 star guys never even see the field or if they do they stand out as slow or out of place. That reflects on how the coaches find and develop talent and the level of research done by that staff. What that means is that recruits that commit to Notre Dame don't get that bump, moreover if they commit early they will drop in the ratings without doing anything. It's because they are getting passed up by other 2-3-4 star guys that are committing or even being offered by programs held in higher esteem at identifying talent.

What the hell are you talking about

When Brian Kelly talks about "shopping down a different aisle" he doesn't mean HE/Notre Dame are shopping down a different aisle, he's referring to the prospect shopping down a different aisle when considering Notre Dame [because the expectations/experience for football players at Notre Dame is very different than say Alabama].

Just an annoying cliché i see used here often, and used incorrectly.

Reactions: sjb75
He has no clue whatsoever. it's called talking out of your ass.
Lol. Ok stay ignorant.

If you don't understand what goes into ratings you should keep your mouth shut.

It's a fact. Rivals reporters even have confirmed it. Shit even lucky lefty has confirmed it as Sean used to work for the recruiting services.

Lol. Ok stay ignorant.

If you don't understand what goes into ratings you should keep your mouth shut.

It's a fact. Rivals reporters even have confirmed it. Shit even lucky lefty has confirmed it as Sean used to work for the recruiting services.
Scouts rank prospects based on in-person evaluations at camps, combines, workouts and 7on7 events that take place regularly throughout the spring and summer.

Prospects ratings change overtime as more info comes in on the player (senior season film also has a big impact as we get closer to NSD).

Every fan base in college football thinks every scouting service is biased against their team, except for fans of teams that are dominating the sport and winning national titles.

Reactions: Golson5

I didn’t understand one word of this.

Ignorant gibberish.

Reactions: Golson5
I didn’t understand one word of this.

Ignorant gibberish.
I do think you and Golson are the same person. You're the only two with so much time on your hands and when you disagree, it feels staged. You're both homophobic and respond with rude one liners. Time to come out with it, bud.

I do think you and Golson are the same person. You're the only two with so much time on your hands and when you disagree, it feels staged. You're both homophobic and respond with rude one liners. Time to come out with it, bud.
Aren’t you about due to refer to Tommy Rees as a moron.

You're on here all the time. Youre neglecting your boyfriend

Reactions: 96domer

no. Saban's first class, after a 2-6 record, was 30 players - three 5*, nineteen 4 star, and eight 3*. The next year, he had four 5*s, and that was before they won a NC with him. Had nothing to do with "developing 3 and 4 stars". he was getting those guys from jump.

In the 4 years prior to ND and Alabama meeting the 2012 NC game, Alabama had signed 107 players, ND had signed 81. That's pretty significant.

Saban oversigns, and basically has tryouts every year. If you can't cut it on the field, bye-bye. We'll call it a gray-shirt, but don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. It's a semi-pro team, very cutthroat.

It's not development - it's Darwinism.

ND just doesn't operate like that. I don't really think they have to either. You need a stud QB or a killer defense AND a good QB.

Reactions: BGI User 756
People love to complain
Why do you say that? The OP was stating that ND doesn't get but 1 5* recruit per class usually and that's true. What will it take to close the deal with a Downs,Moore,M'Pemba or J.Moore? It's a valid question. What makes ND the bridesmaid most of the time? Granted they are getting higher tiered 4* though. We all want ND to succeed and you do that with great talent. Read what he says-it isn't complaints. Unless you just chimed in to complain about him.

Why do you say that? The OP was stating that ND doesn't get but 1 5* recruit per class usually and that's true. What will it take to close the deal with a Downs,Moore,M'Pemba or J.Moore? It's a valid question. What makes ND the bridesmaid most of the time? Granted they are getting higher tiered 4* though. We all want ND to succeed and you do that with great talent. Read what he says-it isn't complaints. Unless you just chimed in to complain about him.
Many of the elite 5-Stars will choose the easiest path to the NFL as possible. There are numerous day to day challenges at Notre Dame that are mandatory, and again, many elite 5-Stars do not want that. They want football to be the sole focus. Other schools can provide that.

People love to complain

You articulated your points well though any post of the type you shared is going to get people who don't grasp the context up in arms. It's the inherent problem with fans, who never attended the University or don't fully understand the nature of what is ND, lack the ability to set aside the "fan" aspect. The one thing I think you did miss on is what's going on behind the scenes i.e. negative recruiting, 1st year HC, the sheer magnitude of the money behind NIL and so forth. We're clearly trending up but but until the kids see a winning product on the field, many will remain apprehensive about making a commitment and building on the number of 5 star recruits. The beauty of Marcus Freeman is his having a plan and working the plan. We'll have our bumps in the road the 1st year but as the season progresses and talent being brought in raising the bar for upper classmen to play to a higher level or be supplanted on the depth chart. Competition breeds improved play and WINS! If Coach Freeman and Staff deliver for the kids, the recruits will come. GO IRISH!
"The beauty of Marcus Freeman is his having a plan . . . . "

What IS this Marcus Freeman plan I'm constantly reading about? Has anyone seen it? Is it substantively different from other coaching "plans?" Or do other coaches NOT have them? Did Brian Kelly not have a plan? Does he not have a NEW ONE at LSU given that coaching there is much different than at ND?

I'd sure LOVE TO SEE the Marcus Freeman PLAN and what SO DISTINGUISHES IT. Is it a RECRUITING PLAN? Yes, he's getting excellent players, but Kelly recruited Michael Mayer, Will Fuller, great offensive lines, Book, Josh Adams, Tranquil and many, many more. Was he working WITHOUT A PLAN?

It was once generally believed that there was a HOLY GRAIL. It was allegedly offered to the Arthurian knight, Percival, who screwed up and turned it down. Might it have contained Marcus Freeman's PLAN?

If not, WHERE IS IT?

What IS this Marcus Freeman plan I'm constantly reading about? Has anyone seen it? Is it substantively different from other coaching "plans?" Or do other coaches NOT have them? Did Brian Kelly not have a plan? Does he not have a NEW ONE at LSU given that coaching there is much different than at ND?

I'd sure LOVE TO SEE the Marcus Freeman PLAN and what SO DISTINGUISHES IT. Is it a RECRUITING PLAN? Yes, he's getting excellent players, but Kelly recruited Michael Mayer, Will Fuller, great offensive lines, Book, Josh Adams, Tranquil and many, many more. Was he working WITHOUT A PLAN?

It was once generally believed that there was a HOLY GRAIL. It was allegedly offered to the Arthurian knight, Percival, who screwed up and turned it down. Might it have contained Marcus Freeman's PLAN?

If not, WHERE IS IT?

I think his plan is to out recruit every previous coach at ND since Lou and hire elite assistant coaches across the board like AG and HH that can develop talent. Then try and build a culture of family and competitiveness. How that plays out on the field is anyones guess. He’s raw, but he has that Dabo charisma to him while having played at an elite level himself, which is an underrated quality imo. Assistant coaches and recruiting is where championships are made. A HC has to manage the culture.

Last edited:
Many of the elite 5-Stars will choose the easiest path to the NFL as possible. There are numerous day to day challenges at Notre Dame that are mandatory, and again, many elite 5-Stars do not want that. They want football to be the sole focus. Other schools can provide that.
That is why most 5 stars will never even CONSIDER ND. Just like Vanderbilt and Stanford and Northwestern and other schools where you really are expected to toe the line academically.

If not, WHERE IS IT?
Yes theres a plan. He outlined it in his opening press conference

That is why most 5 stars will never even CONSIDER ND. Just like Vanderbilt and Stanford and Northwestern and other schools where you really are expected to toe the line academically.

Like Dante, Keeley, CJ Carr, Downs (who’s been to campus like 5 x’s), to name a few?

I do not know the ##. Carnell Tate is the first that comes to mind, recently Dante Moore is another; although, he may have not chosen ND for other reasons.

The easiest path to the NFL and wanting to focus on football, for certain elite 5-Stars, is not rocket science. It's simply fact. Many schools can provide that.

Like Dante, Keeley, CJ Carr, Downs (who’s been to campus like 5 x’s), to name a few?
as usual you are being stupid; so 3 out of 50 is significant to you?
Which would not surprise me at all...
And bluntly speaking I doubt Moore every was serious about coming here.
A diva like that?

as usual you are being stupid; so 3 out of 50 is significant to you?
Which would not surprise me at all...
And bluntly speaking I doubt Moore every was serious about coming here.
A diva like that?

Facts speak for themselves. Careful who you call names little one. We have the #1 class. Ausberry and Love (Bama is going hard after Young and they already have Haynes) are likely to commit to ND. We’re talking high 4 star kids in this class, not your average 300-400 range 4 star. Yes, 4 star rankings go that high with low 5.8 types. There really should be a 4.5 class, imo. There’s a big difference between a 6.0 #51 ranked kid with 40 offers and a barely known 5.8 #400 ranked kid with MAC offers. But you wouldn’t know that, so this is an educational opportunity for you.

There are only 40 “5 star” kids. We are dominating in the 50-100 range with 6 commits or strong leans in that group of 50. No other school has that many recruits between 50-100. BK never did that in 12 years. MF is doing it in year 1. You’re imagining all 4 stars being equal, which is very false.

The differential between the 50-100 group vs the 1-50 group is negligible. The 1-50 group is overloaded with overhyped QB’s, famous kids like Manning that is afraid of camping and competition, and early pubescent floors. It highly favors skill players, which is stupid. While there are a lot of good players in the 1-50 range, the kids in the 50-100 range are future All Pros. Let’s not pretend these are not essentially 5 star kids that will be household names in 5-10 years. ND is dominating exactly where they need to. Do it 3 more times and Bama is shitting bricks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT