ADVERTISEMENT

Do the administrators at ND realize they are waving a white flag before the season even gets started?

Here's what a 17 year old 5 star (who been told since he was 12 that if keeps playing football well, He'll make millions in the NFL) hears from Notre Dame...Which one would you want to change to get better athletes?

1. You'll need to keep your GPA up in HS, take second language classes, and do well on testing
2. You'll need to go to real classes at ND to get a real major, keep a minimum GPA, and graduate in 3 years to maintain our national leadership in athlete graduation.
3. You'll need to live in a student body dorm on campus for first three years in wintery South Bend IN
4. You'll need to follow the zero-tolerance parietal rules of a Catholic University (no sexual activities on campus)
5. You're expected to do the same community service as other students
6. You wont have access to a multi-million dollar payroll of position "assistants and consultants" to augment the limited coaching staff.
7. We don't have the amount of NIL incentives that other schools are offering
8. We dont take undergraduate transfers
9. You may be the only 5 star on the team and double teamed or avoided during your entire time here - driving your stats down, while other teams have the talent to allow you to excel in position isolation when surrounded by equal talent.

How many current 5 and 4 stars want this path to the NFL? What would you change?

I respect every kid who make this decision, and understand the others who pass...
And I say to that young 17-18 year old with his parents present. The average length of an NFL career is 3.3 years. If you graduate on time and get drafted at the age of 21-22. There is a high probability your football career will be over before you reach the age of 25.
Notre Dame prepares you for both worlds. ND prepares you for football at the next level, and when or if that doesn't work out, Notre Dame has also prepared you for life after football with a meaningful degree and the connections and friendships you form. Let me show you some statistics.
The average length of an NFL career is about 3.3 years.
Average NFL career length for running backs is only 2.57 years.
For wide receivers in NFL, the average career length is 2.81 years.
The average career length for a professional NFL quarterback is 3.44 years.
NFL players who are "undrafted" have average careers that last 1.75 years.
The average career length for NFL offensive linemen is 3.94 years.
Cornerbacks have an average career length of 2.94 years in NFL.
NFL linebackers, on average, have career lengths of 4.59 years.
NFL safeties have an average career length of 4.37 years.
Tight ends in NFL have an average career length of 3.49 years.
NFL kickers have the longest average career length of 4.87 years.
The average career length of NFL punters is 4.87 years.
Defensive linemen in the NFL have an average career length of 3.79 years.
The average NFL fullback’s career length is approximately 2.93 years.
On average, NFL centers have a career length of 3.52 years.
NFL tight ends have an average career length of 3.01 years.
The average career length for defensive backs in the NFL is (specifically Safety's) 4.37 years.
Long snappers in the NFL have an average career length of 4.87 years.

Reactions: stu4don and d1042
From Eric today -- not one of these guys would have been welcomed to Chase's Irish:

Jarrett Patterson, Kyren Williams, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Tommy Tremble, Ian Book, Ade Ogundejii, Julian Love, Durham Smythe, Nick Martin, CJ Prosise and Bennett Jackson.

Reactions: NDSMC78
And I say to that young 17-18 year old with his parents present. The average length of an NFL career is 3.3 years. If you graduate on time and get drafted at the age of 21-22. There is a high probability your football career will be over before you reach the age of 25.
Notre Dame prepares you for both worlds. ND prepares you for football at the next level, and when or if that doesn't work out, Notre Dame has also prepared you for life after football with a meaningful degree and the connections and friendships you form. Let me show you some statistics.
The average career length for defensive backs in the NFL is (specifically Safety's) 4.37 years.
All of this is true, but the difficult thing is that 5stars don’t care about the statistics of the average. They all have been told their whole lives they’re the exception to the rule. Many of the other programs are also telling these kids they’re the exception to that rule, and they’re paying them accordingly.

It takes a unique kid to understand the benefits of ND, outside of football.

I believe in ND’s current process and want to continue to recruit the right kids to ND, not drop to the low standards of other programs. Do I want 5 stars? Of course, but we have to recruit THE RIGHT 5 stars.

Agree with everyone's points that promote ND. I'm a big a believer in the "4 for 40" offer (having experienced it myself from my military career after ND graduation) and its ability to attract a top 10 recruiting class with the right kind of kids. All I am asking the naysayers who aren't satisfied is "what would they change"? instead of complaining about it.

All of this is true, but the difficult thing is that 5stars don’t care about the statistics of the average. They all have been told their whole lives they’re the exception to the rule. Many of the other programs are also telling these kids they’re the exception to that rule, and they’re paying them accordingly.

It takes a unique kid to understand the benefits of ND, outside of football.

I believe in ND’s current process and want to continue to recruit the right kids to ND, not drop to the low standards of other programs. Do I want 5 stars? Of course, but we have to recruit THE RIGHT 5 stars.
That’s true, but that’s also where parenting comes in !

Reactions: NDinNJ
Agree with everyone's points that promote ND. I'm a big a believer in the "4 for 40" offer (having experienced it myself from my military career after ND graduation) and its ability to attract a top 10 recruiting class with the right kind of kids. All I am asking the naysayers who aren't satisfied is "what would they change"? instead of complaining about it.
👍

Reactions: d1042
Michigan (the team that just won the title) never had a class inside of the top 13 in the last 4 years. There's more to recruiting than star rating (especially with NIL and the portal playing such a big part every year now)

The two main classes for Freeman however were #8 in 2024 and currently #1 in 2025.

So not only are your incoherent rants about how Notre Dame doesn't recruit well enough to win stupid and annoying, they are also completely untrue. Stick to your f+ bs and stop littering this board with more of your recruiting nonsense.
Does ND also have a Connor Stalions type figure on staff coordinatng an elaborate cheating scheme?

From Eric today -- not one of these guys would have been welcomed to Chase's Irish:

Jarrett Patterson, Kyren Williams, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Tommy Tremble, Ian Book, Ade Ogundejii, Julian Love, Durham Smythe, Nick Martin, CJ Prosise and Bennett Jackson.
Forgot Joe Alt and many others, football recruiting is more of a crapshoot than even basketball it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT