ADVERTISEMENT

The cupboard was left bare for MF

Well, Brian Kelly must have been one hell of a head coach to be surrounded by an average QB such as an Ian Book, along with average talent around IB, and then go 44-6 his last 50 games.
He played a water downed schedule and USC had fallen on hard times. Every time he got to the BCS games ND got their butts kicked. Once again lack of a good QB has plagued ND for a long time.

The cupboard was not bare, well stocked, but some key provisions were missing.
MF got lucky to fill QB through the portal; as he was left with a bare cupboard as pertains to QB.
Next season, He either starts a 1st year QB or gets portal lucky again?

Using the portal long term has proven to be a losing plan.
Well stock would mean you remove a player and that side of the ball doesn't miss a beat which would be the defense more than the offense.
The Wr postionn is more telling than anyother though it seemed the OC shied away from using the TE Saturday

Reactions: d1042
Wrong and Kansas wasn't a QB problem it was a program problem.
If you seen Crist while at ND he was by far better than Rees, or Montana
Crist unfortunately chose the wrong school with the wrong head coach

Wrong and Kansas wasn't a QB problem it was a program problem.
If you seen Crist while at ND he was by far better than Rees, or Montana
Kid didn't have the chops. He got benched in Kansas because of the talent around him...lol

BK inherited a pretty star studded roster in 2010.
Manti Teo (5 star)
Armando Allen
Michael Floyd (5 star)
Theo Riddick
TJ Jones
Dayne Crist (5 star)
Kyle Rudolph (5 star)
Harrison Smith
Robert Blanton
Cierre Wood
Jonas Gray
Jamoris Slaughter
Robert Hughes
Louis Nix
Prince Shembo
Chris Watt
Tyler Eifert
Ethan Johnson
Kapron Lewis Moore

Manti Teo (5 star)
Armando Allen
Michael Floyd (5 star)
Theo Riddick
TJ Jones
Dayne Crist (5 star)
Kyle Rudolph (5 star)
Harrison Smith
Robert Blanton
Cierre Wood
Jonas Gray
Jamoris Slaughter
Robert Hughes
Louis Nix
Prince Shembo
Chris Watt
Tyler Eifert
Ethan Johnson
Kapron Lewis Moore
That team was loaded

Reactions: NDinNJ
Manti Teo (5 star)
Armando Allen
Michael Floyd (5 star)
Theo Riddick
TJ Jones
Dayne Crist (5 star)
Kyle Rudolph (5 star)
Harrison Smith
Robert Blanton
Cierre Wood
Jonas Gray
Jamoris Slaughter
Robert Hughes
Louis Nix
Prince Shembo
Chris Watt
Tyler Eifert
Ethan Johnson
Kapron Lewis Moore
That was my point. Thanks for doing the work though
Charlie Weis could recruit if nothing else

How could you forget that Golson declared that “ND was loaded with NFL talent at every position“. !

Boy did I suffer some slings and arrows for suggesting this a year ago. But happy to see some have come around.

The list doesn't include Jimmy, who I'm convinced could have been talked into staying his senior year. I think had he done that, he would be viewed as the better QB than BQ.

His claim to fame was being unable to make a handoff on the goal line and ending up 3rd string at that Powerhouse Kansas.
Put in cold, no warm up, Probably the dumbest call BK or even any coach could have made! Except the call he took while eating up the burnt ends!

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Manti Teo (5 star)
Armando Allen
Michael Floyd (5 star)
Theo Riddick
TJ Jones
Dayne Crist (5 star)
Kyle Rudolph (5 star)
Harrison Smith
Robert Blanton
Cierre Wood
Jonas Gray
Jamoris Slaughter
Robert Hughes
Louis Nix
Prince Shembo
Chris Watt
Tyler Eifert
Ethan Johnson
Kapron Lewis Moore
I wonder what MF could do with that kind of talent

Reactions: d1042 and ftnfan62
I wonder what Hartman could have done with Floyd, Rudolph, Eifert and Jones.....wow!

Put in cold, no warm up, Probably the dumbest call BK or even any coach could have made! Except the call he took while eating up the burnt ends!
My passed grandma could take a snap and handoff to a rb. 😜

He played a water downed schedule and USC had fallen on hard times. Every time he got to the BCS games ND got their butts kicked. Once again lack of a good QB has plagued ND for a long time.
You can make all the excuses you want, BK’s record is undeniable !

USC fell on hard times, the dog ate your homework, etc., etc..
He played the schedule he was presented with, but he didn’t play Central Michigan and Tennessee State, did he ?

You can make all the excuses you want, BK’s record is undeniable !

USC fell on hard times, the dog ate your homework, etc., etc..
He played the schedule he was presented with, but he didn’t play Central Michigan and Tennessee State, did he ?
You are kidding me with your analysis. BK went 16 and 10 with twice the talent MF had. Beating up on ACC teams that could not beat themselfs

Oh. By the way Central Michigan has two chances to be bowl eligible. Do your home work for a change.

The problem is not Freeman…however that could change if he does make some good decisions.
1. Spend whatever it takes to hire Grubb from Washington as your OC
2. Find or develop an elite QB…no more excuses about that position
3. Find or develop an elite WR…no more youth excuses
4. Find a big time replacement for Balis

If these things can happen ND should consistently be a 10-11 win team for the foreseeable future. Taking the next step requires…attention to detail, staff upgrades, and learning from your mistakes. He cannot let anything or anyone else dictate how he hires coaches or spends resources…of course within the mission of ND…but either do it with your plan or prepare for 8-4, 8-4, and then being fired. With a new AD coming in soon…the pressure will be on…because eventually they want their own guy, especially if the guy they have is not great. He has the ability to be great but some difficult decisions await and some career altering choices need to be made…just my opinion…Go Irish!

Reactions: DublinND
Oh. By the way Central Michigan has two chances to be bowl eligible. Do your home work for a change.
Marcus Freeman and Gerad Parker run the Notre Dame offense.
The problem is not Freeman…however that could change if he does make some good decisions.

If these things can happen ND should consistently be a 10-11 win team for the foreseeable future. Taking the next step requires…attention to detail, staff upgrades, and learning from your mistakes. He cannot let anything or anyone else dictate how he hires coaches or spends resources…of course within the mission of ND…but either do it with your plan or prepare for 8-4, 8-4, and then being fired. With a new AD coming in soon…the pressure will be on…because eventually they want their own guy, especially if the guy they have is not great. He has the ability to be great but some difficult decisions await and some career altering choices need to be made…just my opinion…Go Irish!
Is Michael Penix arriving also with Grubb?

You are kidding me with your analysis. BK went 16 and 10 with twice the talent MF had. Beating up on ACC teams that could not beat themselfs
This thread is about “Kelly leaving the cupboard bare”
Kelly won five consecutive 10 win seasons before departing.

And, according to Golson5, this years team is “Loaded with NFL talent at every position”

So don’t go whining about how MF inherited a poor team

I can’t see any problem fulfilling your laundry list ………. 👎 ………😂

His claim to fame was being unable to make a handoff on the goal line and ending up 3rd string at that Powerhouse Kansas.
His claim to fame was he almost singlehandedly beat Michigan but Kelly pulled him for a fluke concussion to put Rees in first leads an int.....shocker, then Montana who ironically was unable to make the hand off st the goal line as the clock ran out before halftime
After Crist left Michigan went on to take a demanding lead Crist comes back it erases Michigan's lead but the defense failed to prevent Michigan from scoring as the time ran out
BTW only you would classify Kansas as a Powerhouse at that time

Reactions: d1042 and tbonesays
His claim to fame was he almost singlehandedly beat Michigan but Kelly pulled him for a fluke concussion to put Rees in first leads an int.....shocker, then Montana who ironically was unable to make the hand off st the goal line as the clock ran out before halftime
After Crist left Michigan went on to take a demanding lead Crist comes back it erases Michigan's lead but the defense failed to prevent Michigan from scoring as the time ran out
BTW only you would classify Kansas as a Powerhouse at that time
The kid couldn't handle a simple hand off on the goal line. That tells you all you need to know.

The kid couldn't handle a simple hand off on the goal line. That tells you all you need to know.
Crist came in cold as posted above by d1042
You tell me what QB at one time or another hasn't mishandled a handoff....Hell Tom Brady mishandled a snap in the superbowl.

Crist came in cold as posted above by d1042
You tell me what QB at one time or another hasn't mishandled a handoff....Hell Tom Brady mishandled a snap in the superbowl.
Ohh..he was cold. The kid went to Kansas and got benched. Stop the excuses.

Ohh..he was cold. The kid went to Kansas and got benched. Stop the excuses.
You mean the "Powerhouse" Kansas as you claim?
Maybe you need to rewatch the beginning of the 2010 season and how Kelly beginning his tenure of not handling the QB postion while at ND

You mean the "Powerhouse" Kansas as you claim?
Maybe you need to rewatch the beginning of the 2010 season and how Kelly beginning his tenure of not handling the QB postion while at ND
If you aren't bright enough to understand sarcasm ...that is your problem. The kid wasn't any good.

This thread is about “Kelly leaving the cupboard bare”
Kelly won five consecutive 10 win seasons before departing.

And, according to Golson5, this years team is “Loaded with NFL talent at every position”

So don’t go whining about how MF inherited a poor team
You do not know whAt you’re talking about. Why do I even bother

BK was disinherited of Clausen/Tate and had to replace with Rees/Crist/Montana. The skill positions were good but mostly young. That is kinda like MF having to rely on Pyne and/or Buchner.
The QB situation stunk no doubt. Like a Pyne type deal. The rest of the crew was stacked

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT