ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks Eli!

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
My favorite Giant of all time. Not the most dazzling QB but still a hall of famer, IMO. So gutsy in big games and always a class act.

I disagree about the Hall of Fame for sure. But congrats on a great career to Eli

Patriots fan? I kid.... I think he has a good chance...

He was named the most valuable player of the Super Bowl following the 2007 and 2011 seasons and is one of only five players to have won the award multiple times.

like his brother, who retired in March 2016 and is a certain inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Eli Manning compiled statistics that will make him a serious candidate for the same honor. His streak of 210 consecutive starts is third most by a quarterback, and he finished seventh in career N.F.L. passing yards and seventh in touchdown passes. Manning also engineered 27 fourth-quarter comebacks for the Giants, the 13th most for a quarterback in N.F.L. history.

He was named the most valuable player of the Super Bowl following the 2007 and 2011 seasons and is one of only five players to have won the award multiple times.

like his brother, who retired in March 2016 and is a certain inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Eli Manning compiled statistics that will make him a serious candidate for the same honor. His streak of 210 consecutive starts is third most by a quarterback, and he finished seventh in career N.F.L. passing yards and seventh in touchdown passes. Manning also engineered 27 fourth-quarter comebacks for the Giants, the 13th most for a quarterback in N.F.L. history.
Always thought of Eli as a better than average regular season QB, and an all pro QB in big games and the post season. Didn’t know these facts and appreciate you sharing. A much more impressive career ledger than I thought.

Reactions: stu4don

He belongs in the Hall of the Very Good

The Hall of Fame is for those that were at one time considered the BEST in the NFL at their position. A couple of games does not equal that, no matter what. And in that first game a dropped Pick the play before and then the Helmet Catch right after pretty much to me says
NOT HALL OF FAME MATERIAL

He was NEVER in the consideration in his ENTIRE career for NFL MVP.

Tell me just how often he was in the Top 5 in passing?

Guess what - NEVER.

Playing 210 games in a row is a very good thing

Does not put you in the HOF

Look at Vinny Testerverde's career numbers. Not that far off from Eli Mannings. Does HE belong in the HOF?

HE got his yards playing a long time. BIG DEAL.

What was his career completion percentage, touchdown to interception ratio, passer rating?

NONE OF THEM put him in the HOF.

Reactions: Golson5
He belongs in the Hall of the Very Good

The Hall of Fame is for those that were at one time considered the BEST in the NFL at their position. A couple of games does not equal that, no matter what. And in that first game a dropped Pick the play before and then the Helmet Catch right after pretty much to me says
NOT HALL OF FAME MATERIAL

He was NEVER in the consideration in his ENTIRE career for NFL MVP.

Tell me just how often he was in the Top 5 in passing?

Guess what - NEVER.

Playing 210 games in a row is a very good thing

Does not put you in the HOF

Look at Vinny Testerverde's career numbers. Not that far off from Eli Mannings. Does HE belong in the HOF?

HE got his yards playing a long time. BIG DEAL.

What was his career completion percentage, touchdown to interception ratio, passer rating?

NONE OF THEM put him in the HOF.

117-117

Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Ben R. all deserve the HOF before Eli. If you're 7th best in your window of opportunity you should not get in the HOF.
Brady of course is a first ballot
After that I think Brees myself since he has been so consistently great for so long. A lot like Peyton Manning. Rodgers- have to temper my intense dislike for him to try and be objective. Probably does.
Ben R is more problematic. His first SB win came IN SPITE OF HIM. And he has not put up the consistent great years I believe you need to be in consideration. Wilson- getting close but I need to see about 5 more years of this kind of production.

I believe that unless you are considered for at least several years in the argument for the best at your position in the NFL you do not deserve consideration for the HOF.

Eli Manning has NEVER been considered in that argument in his entire career.

Super Bowls do not make a HOF entry alone. and that really is all he has. And his first win certainly was one in which it came because of his D and NOT HIM.

It is crazy how Super Bowl Wins can determine how people view a player..... especially for a QB. I wonder if an above average lineman that played for 15 years would get into the HOF because he was on a 2x super bowl team?

Reactions: chaseball
It is crazy how Super Bowl Wins can determine how people view a player..... especially for a QB. I wonder if an above average lineman that played for 15 years would get into the HOF because he was on a 2x super bowl team?
QBs are judged differently then any other player. They are somehow credited with wins when they are really only 1 of 22 starting players. Now of course they have more impact than any other single player but it is still wrong to credit them with wins or losses. Now of course throwing a pick six to lose a game in the last minute; or threading the needle for a pass into the endzone to score a touchdown to win a game in the last minute pretty much will in the end tell the tale on how that QB is judged.

But he still is only one of many.

Brady for example had the immense advantage of playing for a very stable organization; well run; with arguably the greatest HC of all time.

No other QB I can think of had such an advantage for so long. Same HC and situation for 19 years.

You look at who are considered the best QBs of all time and just about everyone comes from such a background. Good and well run organization; excellent coaching; etc.

There are very talented QBs out there that had the very bad luck to not have any of that.

David Carr for example. Houston Texans first ever pick.

Great career in college.

Then got stuck with an organization that did not think building an offensive line was very important.

He got sacked 250 times in 5 years. Hit who knows how many times besides that. Is it any wonder he was never very successful and became incredibly gun shy?

It matters very much where a QB goes.

Eli was very fortunate. Very good HC, stable organization.

Imagine if he had gone to Jerry Jones Clown Circus in Dallas.

Or some of the other dumpster fires like Cleveland.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Yeah, for me it really doesn't matter to me, to be honest. I'll take the two super bowl rings over a hall of fame any day. Guy was just a winner in big games.

Like Ian Book -- who will get us our first natty in too long this year but who will never get a Heisman! Hey, there was a time before Phil got us our first, that I thought the Giants would never ever win a super bow. We were that bad for so long.

Hope springs eternal. Cue Chase to post his rankings!

Yeah, for me it really doesn't matter to me, to be honest. I'll take the two super bowl rings over a hall of fame any day. Guy was just a winner in big games.

Like Ian Book -- who will get us our first natty in too long this year but who will never get a Heisman! Hey, there was a time before Phil got us our first, that I thought the Giants would never ever win a super bow. We were that bad for so long.

Hope springs eternal. Cue Chase to post his rankings!
Well three or four games in two years.

When talking a 16 year career that is not much is it?

As regards the Heisman, If I recall correctly Leon Hart was the only ND player to get both the Heisman and a NC. And he was of course not a QB.

I would love to get a NC this coming year but just am not convinced Kelly is good enough to get it done.

Well three or four games in two years.

When talking a 16 year career that is not much is it?

As regards the Heisman, If I recall correctly Leon Hart was the only ND player to get both the Heisman and a NC. And he was of course not a QB.

I would love to get a NC this coming year but just am not convinced Kelly is good enough to get it done.

My point exactly. There are helluva lot of teams: Jets, Bills, Chargers, Bengels, Bears, Colts, etc... fans who would take those four games, thank you very much.

Plus he is a class act. If I were forced to chose Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Jim Fouts and no Superbolws or Eli Manning and 2 Superbowls (one defeating an undefeated foe, both vs a best-of-the-era team in the Pats) -- I'm taking Eli and the two rings.

My point exactly. There are helluva lot of teams: Jets, Bills, Chargers, Bengels, Bears, Colts, etc... fans who would take those four games, thank you very much.

Plus he is a class act. If I were forced to chose Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Jim Fouts and no Superbolws or Eli Manning and 2 Superbowls (one defeating an undefeated foe, both vs a best-of-the-era team in the Pats) -- I'm taking Eli and the two rings.
I would take winning the super bowls. But Eli is not even near Dan Marino as a qb. Not in the same galaxy.

Eli was a pretty good qb who had 2 great playoff runs helped out immensely by his defense. He was not a great qb.

I didn't think he was a class act when he refused to play for San Diego when he was getting drafted. Although it did land him in New York, which was likely a wise career move.
It's been a long time since his draft, and I suppose he's been a class act since then, but just saying that wasn't so class imo.
Also, I'm an Eagle fan.

sure they would take the 2 rings.

Still does nothing as far as I am concerned to qualify him for the HOF.

Without Eli, Tom Brady would have 8 Super Bowl rings.
I got a soft spot for Eli just for 2007. Never wanted any team in the SB to lose as bad as I wanted NE to lose that one. That helmet catch is just one of the most bizarre plays in NFL history. Interesting trivia there: that was the last catch that player made in the NFL.

I would take winning the super bowls. But Eli is not even near Dan Marino as a qb. Not in the same galaxy.

Eli was a pretty good qb who had 2 great playoff runs helped out immensely by his defense. He was not a great qb.

Dan Marino no question one of the greatest ever. Winning two SB with one of them an unbeaten NE team not to shabby. Unfortunately for Eli he played for a lot of dogs in his latter part of his career.

I got a soft spot for Eli just for 2007. Never wanted any team in the SB to lose as bad as I wanted NE to lose that one. That helmet catch is just one of the most bizarre plays in NFL history. Interesting trivia there: that was the last catch that player made in the NFL.
yep. if that doesn't happen Eli likely not even seriously considered for the HOF. should that catch make all the difference ? i say no. really good QB but nowhere near HOF caliber in my opinion.

yep. if that doesn't happen Eli likely not even seriously considered for the HOF. should that catch make all the difference ? i say no. really good QB but nowhere near HOF caliber in my opinion.

umm, he hit his WR in the freakin head! he did his job!

Coughlin was a big help! Imagine if ND had hired that guy instead of... Davie. Sorry guys, but a better coach than Lou and a HOF.

Dan Marino no question one of the greatest ever. Winning two SB with one of them an unbeaten NE team not to shabby. Unfortunately for Eli he played for a lot of dogs in his latter part of his career.
Not too shabby. But definitely not HOF material. And he was a big reason some of those teams were dogs late in his career...

Belongs in HOF as much as a number elected already: Aikman, Fouts, Griese, Jurgensen, Kelly, Moon, and Stabler. None of these were superior to others at their position, either regular season or playoffs. Just over-valued by poor media analysis. Consider the current talk about Philip Rivers; he has done little yet he seems to get some approval.

Coughlin was a big help! Imagine if ND had hired that guy instead of... Davie. Sorry guys, but a better coach than Lou and a HOF.
I remember wanting Coughlin for the job also. I knew as soon as ND hired Davie we were for more Faust years.

I remember wanting Coughlin for the job also. I knew as soon as ND hired Davie we were for more Faust years.
Maybe the reason Holtz recommended him for the job was too make his tenure look better especially the very mediocre last three seasons.

Belongs in HOF as much as a number elected already: Aikman, Fouts, Griese, Jurgensen, Kelly, Moon, and Stabler. None of these were superior to others at their position, either regular season or playoffs. Just over-valued by poor media analysis. Consider the current talk about Philip Rivers; he has done little yet he seems to get some approval.
you might want to look at Aikman's numbers in the post season.
I do agree with you about the rest of them. Moon particularly ticked me off at getting in. He was never considered one of the elite while playing. Griese was the ultimate bus driver. Jurgensen got in due to the media love for the guy. And of course we are not even talking about the ultimate should never have gotten in QB of all
Namath.
I know the argument was that the victory over the Colts was so important but frankly I laugh at it. To put a guy in the HOF for that just stinks.

Not too shabby. But definitely not HOF material. And he was a big reason some of those teams were dogs late in his career...

Gonna have to agree to disagree. I do agree that HOF rewards compilers. Look no further then The Bus.

Gonna have to agree to disagree. I do agree that HOF rewards compilers. Look no further then The Bus.
Bus was a much better running back than Eli was qb.

Bus made 6 pro bowls. 2 time 1st team all pro. 1 time 2nd team all pro

Eli made 4 pro bowls. 0 time 1st team all pro. 0 time 2nd team all pro.

Eli will make HOF because he had 2 great super bowl runs. Even though the defense was the biggest reason they won in super bowl. And because of his last name is nfl royalty.

He was an average QB. If his last name was Smith he wouldnt make the HOF.

He had a .500 record and threw a ton of ints. And was never an elite player

Bus was a much better running back than Eli was qb.

Bus made 6 pro bowls. 2 time 1st team all pro. 1 time 2nd team all pro

Eli made 4 pro bowls. 0 time 1st team all pro. 0 time 2nd team all pro.

Eli will make HOF because he had 2 great super bowl runs. Even though the defense was the biggest reason they won in super bowl. And because of his last name is nfl royalty.

He was an average QB. If his last name was Smith he wouldnt make the HOF.

He had a .500 record and threw a ton of ints. And was never an elite player

You failed to mention 2x SB mvp. He mattered when the lights were brightest. The defense didn’t throw that pass to Manningham. The Bus had a huge personality starting with his nickname. Not the elite RB of his era. He in my humble opinion is the classic compiler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT