ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s Talk ND and OSU

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Lots of players rested today.

Bertrand back. Hoping Eli. Brown. Gonna see Parker do things he wanted to all year.

Gonna see that NCS style defense, today was so much vanilla.

I’m guessing a bit of a chess game, see if ND and those backs and line can win before we ask Hartman to win it. I’m guessing lots of movement for the young QB. Get a pick and get his feet happy and it’s on. Gotta rattle a young QB.

I think we have a decent chance at winning. If 3 games were played OSU probably wins two. They don't seem to be dominant this year. Pressure the QB into some turnovers. Would definitely be a signature win for Freeman and a sign that ND is ready to play with the big boys.

This is the first time in a long time where I felt we had a realistic chance of winning a big game against a top opponent. Not just a puncher's chance, but a real chance. I am eagerly looking forward to next Saturday. ND Stadium will be rocking. We need to clean some things up on defense, but I am very confident we will score at least 28 points or more against the Buckeyes.

I think we have a decent chance at winning. If 3 games were played OSU probably wins two. They don't seem to be dominant this year. Pressure the QB into some turnovers. Would definitely be a signature win for Freeman and a sign that ND is ready to play with the big boys.
They just stomped a pretty good G5 team today and held their high flying offense to 10 points with a bunch of TFL's and turnovers. Offense took a big step forward today

This is the first time in a long time where I felt we had a realistic chance of winning a big game against a top opponent. Not just a puncher's chance, but a real chance. I am eagerly looking forward to next Saturday. ND Stadium will be rocking. We need to clean some things up on defense, but I am very confident we will score at least 28 points or more against the Buckeyes.
28 points? I'm not saying it's impossible but I think you might be underestimating how good the Buckeyes defense has been so far this year. They just had their best game against the best offense they've faced

28 points? I'm not saying it's impossible but I think you might be underestimating how good the Buckeyes defense has been so far this year. They just had their best game against the best offense they've faced
Hartman is really good and Audric Estime is just a dude. I think OSU fans are going to be surprised with how good Estime is. I have some concerns about ND's pass protection, but if we can keep Hartman off his backside, we will score some points against you.

It will take 48 points to beat OSU.
Ohio State would simply have to self implode 2022 style to give up 48 points, and so far this season they've been stout on defense and have limited big plays, to the point they've given up 20 points in 3 games. The defense at all 3 levels have been lights out. I don't think Ohio State is scoring 48+ points on Notre Dame but I do think they'll hit 30 points.

Ohio State would simply have to self implode 2022 style to give up 48 points, and so far this season they've been stout on defense and have limited big plays, to the point they've given up 20 points in 3 games. The defense at all 3 levels have been lights out. I don't think Ohio State is scoring 48+ points on Notre Dame but I do think they'll hit 30 points.
Thanks for the preview of OSU's defense, BucksLAN. ND has played 3 cupcakes and a middling ACC team. OSU has played 2 cupcakes and a bottom dwelling BIG team. Hard to get say what is real and what is not with those schedules. I haven't watched OSU play this year, so my impression of their D was based off what I have seen the past few years, where their D has not been a strong point. But it sounds like that may have changed. Looking forward to a good game on Saturday.

Reactions: BucksLAN
I think Notre Dame brings a vastly improved offense into this year's game as compared to a year ago when the game plan was to shorten the game and hope that somehow OSU wouldn't get enough possessions to get into a rhythm and start racking up the scoring drives as they tend to do. I think from Notre Dame's perspective this year, it's whether our defense, which hasn't been able to generate much pressure on opposing QBs, seems on the slow side sideline to sideline, and has really gotten sloppy in its tackling, can keep up with OSU's offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDSMC78
Thanks for the preview of OSU's defense, BucksLAN. ND has played 3 cupcakes and a middling ACC team. OSU has played 2 cupcakes and a bottom dwelling BIG team. Hard to get say what is real and what is not with those schedules. I haven't watched OSU play this year, so my impression of their D was based off what I have seen the past few years, where their D has not been a strong point. But it sounds like that may have changed. Looking forward to a good game on Saturday.
It's a unique game where both teams look good and neither team has faced a team close to what they'll see vs each other

I think Notre Dame brings a vastly improved offense into this year's game as compared to a year ago when the game plan was to shorten the game and hope that somehow OSU wouldn't get enough possessions to get into a rhythm and start racking up the scoring drives as they tend to do. I think from Notre Dame's perspective this year, it's whether or defense, which hasn't been able to generate much pressure on opposing QBs, seems on the slow side sideline to sideline, and has really gotten sloppy in its tackling, can keep up with OSU's offense.
ND offense is much better, Hartman is a big upgrade over Buchner. This will be a huge game for Hartman obviously. I looked at some of his games last season against his biggest competition, overall I think he was hit and miss. He lit up Clemson and did well against North Carolina, but had bad games against NC State and Louisville. It'll be interesting to see how he does in his first big game with Notre Dame against a stout defense.

Not sure what we’re gonna see from the Notre dame defense but I fully expect Ohio state to have there moments where they’ll gain yards. Gotta keep them out of the end zone.

Not sure we’re holding them to 21 again but if he can keep them at 35 or less I feel like it’s reasonable to expect to win the game.

I feel great about ND winning mainly because for the first time since Brady Quinn we have a QB who can play playing with a great OL and an actual running game. IMO our defense can play with anyone I just hope we can get back some key defensive players.

Go ☘️. Let’s shock the world.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I believe it will be about pass rush------and being able to get there with 4 .

Second biggest factor IMO will be running the football------keep their offense off the field.

They just stomped a pretty good G5 team today and held their high flying offense to 10 points with a bunch of TFL's and turnovers. Offense took a big step forward today
LMFAO, the mighty Hilltoppers!! A big step? Were you drunk when you posted this nonsense?

• Haha
Reactions: sluggo69
I feel great about ND winning mainly because for the first time since Brady Quinn we have a QB who can play playing with a great OL and an actual running game. IMO our defense can play with anyone I just hope we can get back some key defensive players.

Go ☘️. Let’s shock the world.
I would be careful calling the ND OL great. Left tackle yes, but otherwise they are going to have to play much better than they have for ND to have a chance. The D will probably be exposed for what they are next week.

Sam is the difference maker for ND. He has to prove that he can get it done in a tight, uncomfortable, big time game. He has to carry the team and play out of his mind on third down. Definitely in his window of ability, but he has to do it.

Very excited for this game

In the past....teams would double down on Mayer.....and marginalize the ND offense...putting more pressure on the pedestrian quarterbacks. That isn't what is happening now. Hartman uses the entire field and multiple weapons to throw too. That dimension is an edge...as long as the O line is doing its job. So far, it gets a C. On defense, the interior of ND's D line is soft...it doesn't punch anyone in the mouth. That makes the linebackers over-commit to assist. My fear is OSU throwing the ball behind the linebackers....Our secondary is solid...but they have to stick to their assignments instead of scrambling. It starts up front, in the trenches...on both sides of the ball. So far...both have much to prove.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and graceh90
If the secondary can play like they did against NCS we should be OK. What every Liafau had for bkfst against NCS get him that. He was a monster

I might be totally wrong but I called this day one. I’m not a believer in frosh QB’s in big games. They push it. They don’t live to fight another day. If this is tight, and OSU needs a score late. I just envision a life’s sucked out pick by Benji

Reactions: BGI User 756
I might be totally wrong but I called this day one. I’m not a believer in frosh QB’s in big games. They push it. They don’t live to fight another day. If this is tight, and OSU needs a score late. I just envision a life’s sucked out pick by BMC
McCord is not a frosh QB. Third year in the program. Brown is a RS freshman.

Neither team has played anyone that good. Hard to tell from the season so far.

Similar schedules, slight nod to ND. Away game. At NCS. Top 25 defense.

Big games come down to the QB’s or defense. I like our QB chances better. Our D can play lights out in the secondary. Gonna come down to stopping the run for both teams.

Reactions: christophero
In hindsight, it would've been better to play them in Week 1 this year - since they were breaking in a new QB and their offense looked sluggish the first few games. But now they seem to be getting better. Should be a great game.

Let’s go by last year. ND gave up 21. OSU 10. We have everyone back plus a QB. You as well minus a QB. I don’t see coaches taking many chances early. More chess. It’s also home for ND. Spot us 6.

I don’t see either team putting up 30. Feels like a 20’s game.

I believe it will be about pass rush------and being able to get there with 4 .

Second biggest factor IMO will be running the football------keep their offense off the field.
I dont think we can get to him with 4, we haven't all year. And I don't think we will even try. Golden loves to blitz and blitz and blitz.

I think we need to pass to set up the run. They will come into the game geared up to stop the run. I dont think that will work

Saw a team comparison today.

ND ranks 16th in offense, OSU 24th. OSU 3rd defensively, ND 4th.

The narrator was an OSU fan. OSU is averaging more passing than ND by 10 yards per game, rushing 50 or 60 less. Some of that passing is ND doesn’t put 60+ on teams. They have been pulling Sam to get a backup ready. I don’t think he played the second half more than a series against TSU or that’s a 500 yard passing game. So I’m not too worried about the QB.

Competition nod to ND due to NCS.

I rewatched the game also. Heard some ND peeps like Singer and Goolsby talking about how Sam will do it he doesn’t get time. If you watch it the long throws, those were 2:5 second drops. He read the man2man and let it rip. The ones he held long there was nobody open deep or short. The placement on his throws are near perfect. The Greathouse over throw, I think Jayden was shallow. The over the middle was a bit high but when it hits ya in the hands, catch it.

I do see his comp % down, he will have to throw more away. Your not gonna unpack your picnic basket and eat lunch back there like he did a few times. What makes him so dangerous is he doesn’t miss when he sees you lined up wrong. Remember Marshal? Few seconds left in the half. Lenzy down the middle. Nobody within 10 yards and Buch over throws him. Sam doesn’t do that.

He also fits into tight windows so might will more than likely be his first pic or two if ND youngsters don’t fight for it.

This game sets up to be a good one. ND is going to have to use the body blows to get baby-bus to the 4th quarter with some DB’a tired of getting crushed and Sam needs some receivers to go battle 50/50.

Can’t wait!

Last edited:
Similar schedules, slight nod to ND. Away game. At NCS. Top 25 defense.

Big games come down to the QB’s or defense. I like our QB chances better. Our D can play lights out in the secondary. Gonna come down to stopping the run for both teams.
Both QBs are good. I might give the slight edge to Hartmann but OSU's QB is starting to get experience and let's be honest. OSU had had top notch QBs - outside of that scandal-suspension year (2010 or 2011) - going clear back to the early Tressel years. .

I really believe this game comes down to the OSU defense. Can they step it up this year in big games unlike the previous 2 or 3 years? Heck, they probably would have won the NC last year with anything resembling a decent defense when they blew a 14-point 4th quarter lead against Georgia and losing 42-41.

ND's offense and it's ability to move the ball will determine the outcome. ND will need at least 30+ points to win as OSU - especially their skilled position offensive players - are almost impossible to stop for extended periods of time

I've been quietly watching the Irish this year. Some very good signs coming out of the bend I feel. The one area that struck me as a huge step for the irish is adjustments during a game. Something that I felt ND lacked under Kelly. There is definitely a different feel to this team in almost every facet of the game.

That said, I am going to reserve judgement on what this team is until after OSU. No moral moral victories in that we kept it close and played well, but still lost. ND absolutely needs to start winning these games on some level of consistency if they want to be taken seriously as a contender and not a program thats still, to this day, being propped up by its name and the level of money that it brings to bowl games and the playoffs.

We will all know saturday night.

Reactions: BM16
Back in the Ara Parseghian or Lou Holtz years, we would be licking our chops for this game. But since the days when Ara and Lou walked the sidelines, ND's repeated history of falling flat on the big stage is what gives ND fans pause.

Here are some interesting stats on ND's recent success rate in big games (courtesy of The Athletic):

"Since 1994, Notre Dame is 4-19 when playing as an AP top-10 team against another AP top-10 team. It was 14-3-1 in its previous 18 from 1988 to ’93. Beyond the 2020 regular-season game against Clemson, the Irish have mostly had a reputation for falling flat in big games. It’s the storied program that hasn’t won a major bowl game in three decades and can’t beat the sport’s heavyweights even when it emerges as a contender. That reputation has especially stuck since the blowout loss to Alabama in the 2012 national championship game.

"Meanwhile, after a brief run of big-game embarrassment starting with the BCS title games following the 2006 and 2007 seasons, Ohio State is 22-9 in AP top-10 matchups since the 2010 Rose Bowl, including its 21-10 win against Notre Dame last September."

Those are some sobering statistics. During the heyday of the Holtz era (1988-1993), ND went 14-3-1 in big games against tough opponents. Lou was a great big game coach, and those numbers tell it all. Since then, sadly, ND has been pretty putrid.

Alabama has the most wins all-time in an AP top 10 matchup, with 64. That has largely been a record compiled by Lou Saban, as 33 of those wins have come since 2000. (Saban became HC in 2007).

ND is 4th on the list of all-time wins in an AP top 10 matchup, with 52 wins. But get this: only 3 of those wins have happened since 2000! So ND has basically been stuck in the mud as it has watched other big programs find success on the big stage. (In the event you are wondering, OSU is third on the list of all-time wins against AP top 10 opponents, with 58; 29 of those wins have happened since 2000, which is a success rate second only to Alabama.)

I am ready Saturday to turn the page and start a new chapter of ND football history. Let's shake down the thunder again!

Last edited:
Well, already with the talk on how OSU`s receivers are great and rightfully so, but OSU does not have a BMO all American corner back, plus ND has two other corner backs that can play. I hear how good 5-star McCord is so good, but OSU does not have a Hartman who is third or fourth in passer rating for the entire country by throwing for over 1,000 yards with less attempts than anybody ahead of him. I hear how great Henderson is, but once again OSU does not have an Audric who leads the nation in rushing yards at 521 even more impressive is everybody in the top 10 has more rushing attempts. One OSU posts said other than Alt the 0-line is average.
OSU`s game plan will be to hit short passes, bubble screens to the wide outs or slants and hope for some broken tackles for long runs just like Clemson did last year. I doubt if they are going to try and run power against ND. ND counters with a 4-2-5 defense for the first time in four games ND does not have to game plan on stopping a dual threat QB. ND is slightly undersized on the D-line, but their body fat is considerably lower than it was last year.
ND will play a balanced game running 230 lb Audric behind the so-called average line throw in some misdirection, plus a few bombs once OSU moves their safeties up to the line. If i was Parker my mode would be keep the chains moving by getting first downs. Ugly the game up turning it into a Holden States kind of day. This does not mean third and three Hartman throws a 30-yard pass. The Audric pass in the flats seems to be an effective weapon as well as student body left or right to Audric or Love seems to work. Hmmm, not even one jet sweep to Tyree this year just having him in motion would be a good idea.

If you remember right, ND went into Columbus with a team that had less talent than this year and played them even except for a cheap TD they got cause by ND blitzing both safeties thrown by the second pick of the of the NFL draft, but he is not there anymore.
I like the Irish in a defensive battle by 7 points. Irish 27 OSU 20

The single biggest factor for ND to win is the O line doing its job. First, protecting Hartman. Give him time...he will show OSU something they haven't seen from ND. Second, open up the lanes for 4 running backs...each of which bring something different to the field for OSU to chew on. Lastly, the interior of the D line must push through. They have much to prove. Can't depend solely on the edges to carry the defensive line. Can't require linebackers to over-commit to the line of scrimmage....or OSU will feast on the slants and passes to the middle of the field.

Surprised OSU started out as a -3.5 favorite. It looks like a 50-50 game. I wish this were game 1 of the season—I’d be super confident of a win having the 30 year old Hartman while OSU gets going offensively. OSU seems to start off slowly in the first few games under Day but then fired in all cylinders.

I think we win a close one.

Well, already with the talk on how OSU`s receivers are great and rightfully so, but OSU does not have a BMO all American corner back, plus ND has two other corner backs that can play. I hear how good 5-star McCord is so good, but OSU does not have a Hartman who is third or fourth in passer rating for the entire country by throwing for over 1,000 yards with less attempts than anybody ahead of him. I hear how great Henderson is, but once again OSU does not have an Audric who leads the nation in rushing yards at 521 even more impressive is everybody in the top 10 has more rushing attempts. One OSU posts said other than Alt the 0-line is average.
OSU`s game plan will be to hit short passes, bubble screens to the wide outs or slants and hope for some broken tackles for long runs just like Clemson did last year. I doubt if they are going to try and run power against ND. ND counters with a 4-2-5 defense for the first time in four games ND does not have to game plan on stopping a dual threat QB. ND is slightly undersized on the D-line, but their body fat is considerably lower than it was last year.
ND will play a balanced game running 230 lb Audric behind the so-called average line throw in some misdirection, plus a few bombs once OSU moves their safeties up to the line. If i was Parker my mode would be keep the chains moving by getting first downs. Ugly the game up turning it into a Holden States kind of day. This does not mean third and three Hartman throws a 30-yard pass. The Audric pass in the flats seems to be an effective weapon as well as student body left or right to Audric or Love seems to work. Hmmm, not even one jet sweep to Tyree this year just having him in motion would be a good idea.

If you remember right, ND went into Columbus with a team that had less talent than this year and played them even except for a cheap TD they got cause by ND blitzing both safeties thrown by the second pick of the of the NFL draft, but he is not there anymore.
I like the Irish in a defensive battle by 7 points. Irish 27 OSU 20
For clarification
Burke was a freshman All-American and was hobbled by injuries last year, but playing like an all American this year.

Henderson splits time with 2 other backs, hence he only has 30 carries. A lot of tOSU fans don't even think he is the best back, as he lacks power and is easily tackled. He has speed and elusiveness though. We have been using Trayanum much more who goes in at 235 lbs

You are right I don't see us trying to power run, as we have not been doing well at that because or OLine has some serious issues. Notre Dame's offense is WAY better than last year, so I see Ohio State needing to score at least in the 30s to win. I think our defense is a lot better than last year, but until we play a top team we never really know, do we? Hopefully it is a good game either way.

My main issues are: on offense, can our OL (other than Alt) hold up in pass blocking? They've been a little sketchy at times. The run blocking's been very good, though.

And on defense, can we get a good pass rush? So overall, I think the LOS will be the key area.

Should be a great game.

I've been quietly watching the Irish this year. Some very good signs coming out of the bend I feel. The one area that struck me as a huge step for the irish is adjustments during a game. Something that I felt ND lacked under Kelly. There is definitely a different feel to this team in almost every facet of the game.

That said, I am going to reserve judgement on what this team is until after OSU. No moral moral victories in that we kept it close and played well, but still lost. ND absolutely needs to start winning these games on some level of consistency if they want to be taken seriously as a contender and not a program thats still, to this day, being propped up by its name and the level of money that it brings to bowl games and the playoffs.

We will all know saturday night.
"I've been quietly watching the Irish this year."

Me too. 9:00 a.m. PDT kickoffs are just too early to get loud.

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_inPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT