ADVERTISEMENT

What are the best and worst units on this team?

Dec 29, 2005
I discussed this earlier with a buddy, this is how I would rank and grade them at this point.

1. Secondary, they’ve been really good overall IMO, not much to say here. Morrison is a dude, good all around play by the unit = A

2. QB, Hartman has played well when he has time, the past few weeks he has been chased relentlessly. Did OSU expose something other teams are now capitalizing on against our pass protection? He was not accurate last night but he’s been pretty good the rest of the season. ND should’ve let him rip it much more the past few games IMO. SH throws the best ball we’ve seen in sometime, I’ll give him a B-

3. RBs - I think the talent is the best it’s been in sometime now, Estime, and company are all tough backs when they get the initial block, pleasantly surprised by the pass catching ability of a few of them too. = B.

DL - I wanted to give them a B+ but their inability to sack the QB has been frustrating, they play well against the run and do get QB pressures. In general, they are good tacklers as well, I’ll give the unit a B.

OL - I’ve been quite disappointed with the OL, specifically the interior, they have been downright terrible for stretches of games. G-C-G has been a D, approaching an F with one more poor showing. I’m not sure what’s up with Fisher either, he’s always throwing his hands up in annoyance, gotta keep it together when you’re a supposed leader and potential 1/2 round draft pick. Alt had gone a long time without a QB pressure let alone a sack but looked poor last night as well. - G/C/G D-, T’s - B, overall the OL gets a - C.

WR’s - the season started well, a lot of guys getting touches but boy has our lack of depth shown with a few guys injured. There has been moments with a half dozen guys but no one that has been a consistent gamer, and a few I won’t name are absolutely dreadful. There were four drops last night, four against Duke, and three against OSU, that’s terrible, that’s 11 dropped passes in 3 games!! This position needs some serious improvement, D.

PK/P - We all knew Shrader had a leg but he’s been better from 50+ then 40-49, needs more consistency but if ND gets inside 60 yards the kid gives you a chance. McFerson has done a nice job overall he is averaging 45 yards a punt, like to see the net a little higher but he’s been relatively solid. The fact most fans don’t know his name is a good thing. PK/P - B-

LBs- this is a hard group to grade IMO. There are times in games they look terrific and others when they look dreadfully slow. I’m not always a fan of Bertrand and Kiser inside but at least Bertrand plays with a lot of emotion, he makes some nice plays and leads in tackles. Bertrand can also be eaten alive in the passing game occasionally. Kiser is a good tackler but is very slow inside out. Most thought Liufau was going to be an impact player, while there are flashes of that. He too is out of position quite often, he runs wild and misses tackles in the open field, and seemingly runs to blockers went sent on pressure. This unit is inconsistent but they give good effort, I’ll give them a C+.

Last, the TE’s. It took a little time to develop by Mitchell has tremendous hands and runs well in the open field for a big guy. Staes has been a nice redzone weapon but isn’t featured much between the 20’s, not sure why. They both block adequately though Staes has had a few untimely holding penalties and even an illegal hands to the face while blocking. I like these guys, just like to see Staes get a few more opportunities along with Evans. Unit = A-

Reactions: nptb
I discussed this earlier with a buddy, this is how I would rank and grade them at this point.

1. Secondary, they’ve been really good overall IMO, not much to say here. Morrison is a dude, good all around play by the unit = A

2. QB, Hartman has played well when he has time, the past few weeks he has been chased relentlessly. Did OSU expose something other teams are now capitalizing on against our pass protection? He was not accurate last night but he’s been pretty good the rest of the season. ND should’ve let him rip it much more the past few games IMO. SH throws the best ball we’ve seen in sometime, I’ll give him a B-

3. RBs - I think the talent is the best it’s been in sometime now, Estime, and company are all tough backs when they get the initial block, pleasantly surprised by the pass catching ability of a few of them too. = B.

DL - I wanted to give them a B+ but their inability to sack the QB has been frustrating, they play well against the run and do get QB pressures. In general, they are good tacklers as well, I’ll give the unit a B.

OL - I’ve been quite disappointed with the OL, specifically the interior, they have been downright terrible for stretches of games. G-C-G has been a D, approaching an F with one more poor showing. I’m not sure what’s up with Fisher either, he’s always throwing his hands up in annoyance, gotta keep it together when you’re a supposed leader and potential 1/2 round draft pick. Alt had gone a long time without a QB pressure let alone a sack but looked poor last night as well. - G/C/G D-, T’s - B, overall the OL gets a - C.

WR’s - the season started well, a lot of guys getting touches but boy has our lack of depth shown with a few guys injured. There has been moments with a half dozen guys but no one that has been a consistent gamer, and a few I won’t name are absolutely dreadful. There were four drops last night, four against Duke, and three against OSU, that’s terrible, that’s 11 dropped passes in 3 games!! This position needs some serious improvement, D.

PK/P - We all knew Shrader had a leg but he’s been better from 50+ then 40-49, needs more consistency but if ND gets inside 60 yards the kid gives you a chance. McFerson has done a nice job overall he is averaging 45 yards a punt, like to see the net a little higher but he’s been relatively solid. The fact most fans don’t know his name is a good thing. PK/P - B-

LBs- this is a hard group to grade IMO. There are times in games they look terrific and others when they look dreadfully slow. I’m not always a fan of Bertrand and Kiser inside but at least Bertrand plays with a lot of emotion, he makes some nice plays and leads in tackles. Bertrand can also be eaten alive in the passing game occasionally. Kiser is a good tackler but is very slow inside out. Most thought Liufau was going to be an impact player, while there are flashes of that. He too is out of position quite often, he runs wild and misses tackles in the open field, and seemingly runs to blockers went sent on pressure. This unit is inconsistent but they give good effort, I’ll give them a C+.

Last, the TE’s. It took a little time to develop by Mitchell has tremendous hands and runs well in the open field for a big guy. Staes has been a nice redzone weapon but isn’t featured much between the 20’s, not sure why. They both block adequately though Staes has had a few untimely holding penalties and even an illegal hands to the face while blocking. I like these guys, just like to see Staes get a few more opportunities along with Evans. Unit = A-
It’s a team game !

It’s a team game !
No kidding, why do you get so damned irritated with seemingly every topic? Is it not something fans and pundits talk about? We hear it all the time, just thought I’d share mine and see how others felt.

Dude, just relax, your constant yelling and attack mode are exhausting there guy.

Reactions: BGI User 756
No kidding, why do you get so damned irritated with seemingly every topic? Is it not something fans and pundits talk about? We hear it all the time, just thought I’d share mine and see how others felt.

Dude, just relax, your constant yelling and attack mode are exhausting there guy.
Who’s irritated ?

I just pointed out that it’s a team game.

Why do you get so sensitive and defensive ?

Oline is grossly overrated, WR room is bad, LBs play hard but are certainly limited, and our safeties are average at best. OC is terrible and our HC has been head scratching since the competition has increased

What a change in three weeks among Irish fans. Back before Ohio State, Estime and Hartman were Heisman candidates and the OL & defense were the best in college football.

ND (-2.5) is favored over USC, so it is not quite as bad as it looked vs Louisville.

Last edited:
There really isn’t any standouts on D-line aside from Howard Cross and the depth is not there this year as it has been in the past. That has been a big liability. Our best pass rusher was a 4 year backup at Ohio State. That should tell you something.

Wide receiver has been basically useless. Is this a lack of talent or is it the coaching? Stuckey can recruit, but his receivers don’t seem like they want to compete or get separation from defenders. Don’t really know what is going on here.

The running backs are hindered as the coaches want to play too many of them. In all honesty Estime shoulder be getting a bulk of the carries and Love should be getting number 2 reps. That’s it. The 5 headed monster works against Tennessee State but it has hindered some production in recent weeks.

Lastly, linebackers are just not intimidating. Bertrand and Kiser are basically Joe Schmidt 1 and Joe Schmidt 2. Liufau has the athleticism and prowess but constantly looks like he lost his jock when the play goes right by him. Sneed should be seeing the field more but allegedly this is due to Golden’s scheme being too complicated. If players can’t understand the scheme, maybe that means the scheme is just not that great. Complexity is rarely superior to simplicity.

Reactions: nptb
What a change in three weeks among Irish fans. Back before Ohio State, Estime and Hartman were Heisman candidates and the OL & defense were the best in college football.

ND (-1.5) is favored over USC, so it is not quite as bad as it looked vs Louisville.
A troll.

Lastly, linebackers are just not intimidating. Bertrand and Kiser are basically Joe Schmidt 1 and Joe Schmidt 2. Liufau has the athleticism and prowess but constantly looks like he lost his jock when the play goes right by him. Sneed should be seeing the field more but allegedly this is due to Golden’s scheme being too complicated. If players can’t understand the scheme, maybe that means the scheme is just not that great. Complexity is rarely superior to simplicity.
THIS!!!

OP I think you nailed it. As for most disappointing unit, that’s OL and it’s not close imo. We all knew WR’s were inexperienced and would struggle and that LB was athletically limited and would struggle but the play of the interior ol has been shockingly bad.

OP I think you nailed it. As for most disappointing unit, that’s OL and it’s not close imo. We all knew WR’s were inexperienced and would struggle and that LB was athletically limited and would struggle but the play of the interior ol has been shockingly bad.

The lack of wide receivers has hurt the OL & running game. When you allow teams to pack the box and you don't make them pay with play action, your offense can grind to a halt.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
We were already thin at receiver to start the year, then lost our four best guys. Yes, I’m putting Salerno in that group because he had produced more than anyone remaining after Thomas, Colzie, and Greathouse were gone).

Almost no team can recover from losing its four top guys.

Losing those guys changed everything. Offense doesn’t work without receivers.

We are lucky to have Tyree and Rico and now Faison. But don’t kid yourselves. We need some guys to get healthy.

TE--Evans is a beast. They must of used him a lot in run blocking vs.USC. Didn't get that many passes. He and Staes both have good hands when Hartman doesn't throw too high. Love Evans passion.

OL- improving.I wish they would watch old film and see how the ol opened those holes for Josh Adams because I don't see those holes for Estime and others. Doesn't help that other teams stack the box and Parker still calls run play either. Alt and Spindler have done well. Fisher falters at times and Coogan is still learning. Correll, not that impressed. I hope we get that middle fixed to open better holes. Estime has been working for every yard.

RB- Love will get there. Price is a multi-weapon. Payne likewise. What can I add about the beast-Estime! WR- fresh are developing. Love Faison - speed and toughness. Same with Flores. Greathouse is gonna have big moments. Gotta get the 2 big guys-Colzie and Merriweather healthy and focused. Tyree has great moments. That Faison run play reminded me of we need that play more. Thomas needs to be the guy to step up and take charge in this unit. It gets criticisms but I think the potential overrides that. Kicker- Shrader has moments of greatness and moments that make me shake my head. McPherson - the same but he can tackle when necessary which I hope doesn't happen again. QB- Hartman is a gamer. The problem is when it doesn't go well, it snowballs-Louisville and last minutes of OSU game. I still am grateful for him though. He is a leader and has heart of a lion.

DL- Mills needs to finish. Cross is very good. Onye is good. Rubio is good. Baptiste has been great,Botelho I was hoping would be the man this year-just haven't seen it. Junior needs to be at MLB. Osafa-Mensah is becoming what Botelho should already be. Probably left out a few. ND is missing that Day,Tillery type guys. Hopefully recruiting and progression rectifies that. LB- Sneed is getting there. Liafau is maturing. Bertrand is run stopper and gets through lanes for pressure on qbs. Terrible in pass protection. Kiser is up and down.Thought he was better last year than now. Want to see Ziegler play.

CB-Morrison please stop all the jersey grabbing they gonna call it. 3 penalties are 2 too many. Hart does well not outstanding but stripped the ball good. Lewis- meh. The two portals are decent but not outstanding. Overall becoming a strong suit along with safties. Look forward to seeing those frosh like Gray grow in the system.
Saftey- Watts-more of this!!! Henderson get more like Watts. Brown has moments of good play. Overall has been a strength. ST-- stay in the lanes and make tackles. Go at opposing punter at angles. Straight on will get you a roughing the kicker penalty . Price is the guy at kickoffs and Ford has been good. Tyree so so on punts. Goes directly into tacklers and rarely takes angles or sideline runs. Same old same old on punt returns.
Coaching- overall good. Parker has to adjust and do better. D- is the strength of the team. Not what I would've thought with Hartman at the helm. Actually though his one bad game was against Ville. He faltered on last series against OSU but I put that on PARKER'S PLAY CALLING. Mickens,McCollough,Washington,wr coach and saftey coach[tired it's 2 AM almost] are doing well. Freeman has been using TO's at good times and growing. I like their recruiting efforts. If ND can get next level players here and there, They will be upper tier 5 group. We shall see.

Best to worst:
TEs-it's TEU. Nuff said.
DBs-strong group
QB-Hartman has been very good sans one game
RBs-pretty consistent. Pleased to see so many guys play and not have fumble concerns.
OL and DL about equal in my opinion. Both have shown flashes of dominance and struggles
LBs-similar to OL and DL
WRs-wildley inconsistent.

Oline is grossly overrated, WR room is bad, LBs play hard but are certainly limited, and our safeties are average at best. OC is terrible and our HC has been head scratching since the competition has increased
Tell all that to Lincoln Riley.

CB-Morrison please stop all the jersey grabbing they gonna call it. 3 penalties are 2 too many.
Morrison has been the best corner in the country. He needs to keep doing what he's been doing. All db's are coached to use their hands as much as possible. You keep grabbing until it's called. And then you do it some more. Morrison has put clamps on the best wideout in the country and was excellent against USC Saturday night. He has been ND's best player imo.

Actually, quite the opposite.

Maybe it’s the abundance of moronic statements that energize me ! 😜
No, it’s annoying. I see BOLD CAPS and I just want to keep scrolling. I agree with you on some topics and disagree with you on others but as soon as someone disagrees with you, you start insulting and behaving childishly.

Aren’t you an older guy? I’d think you’d act a bit more mature, it’s just weird man.

Reactions: Golson5
No, it’s annoying. I see BOLD CAPS and I just want to keep scrolling. I agree with you on some topics and disagree with you on others but as soon as someone disagrees with you, you start insulting and behaving childishly.

Aren’t you an older guy? I’d think you’d act a bit more mature, it’s just weird man.
He Clearly has some cerebral atrophy issues!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT