ADVERTISEMENT

How good, really, is Sam Hartman?

I think both book & Hartman are good enough to win titles if you put them on teams that book’s teams lost to & the ‘12 CG. And, no doubt, evans is an elite college TE. I watched him play. 😉

Reactions: chaseball
I think Evans is the 2nd best TE in cfb when he is on the field this year

I would rank Hartman around 8 to 12
As a QB

You see the gap. That's my opinion. I think Evans is better at his position than Hartman is at his
Stover, Bowers and Holker are all having better years. I strongly disagree that Evans is a better TE than Hartman is a QB.

Now that players are getting NIL money, you'd think they'd be required to play the entire season, bowl game included.
Joe Alt has way too much NFL money on the line to owe Notre Dame anything after 12 games. Same with Michael Mayer last season.

Joe Alt has way too much NFL money on the line to owe Notre Dame anything after 12 games. Same with Michael Mayer last season.
Yeah, except that he is essentially a pro now, and he has a contract, and he should honor that contract.

Yeah, except that he is essentially a pro now, and he has a contract, and he should honor that contract.
Bullshit. I watched Jaylon Smith lose millions by wrecking his knee playing in a bowl game, he was never the same player, and that's enough for me.

Maybe. But we still have 3-4 losses. He doesn’t beat Duke with his legs.

Just looking at resume over 5 years. Coan had just over 6k yards. Sam had hurst over 14k in 5 years. Just hard to see them equal.
Why are you assuming we’d be in the same position needed to beat Duke “with his legs”? I highly doubt we’d have more than 2 losses with him at QB.

Stover, Bowers and Holker are all having better years. I strongly disagree that Evans is a better TE than Hartman is a QB.
Stover is debatable. He is a better blocker than all those 3. So at worst he is 4th.

With receiving and blocking, like I said, I think he is the 2nd best TE in cfb this year

But even if you count him as 4th, Hartman isn't the 4th best QB this year. 8th at best but probably closer to 12th

So yes, Evans is a better TE than Hartman is QB

By your standards, certainly. Does not make it true.

IMO Audric Estime is not an elite CFB RB. Simply is not.
How many rbs are better than him this season?

I'm not comparing him historically. Let's talk this year

How many rbs are better than him this season?

I'm not comparing him historically. Let's talk this year
I watch Notre Dame and the PAC 12. I am not Mel Kiper, who eats, lives, and breathes studying CFB talent. I listen to him every Saturday morning with Dari Nowkah. They take call ins. I will ask.

Thank God you are not comparing Audric Estime with Christian McCaffrey.

Last edited:
Why are you assuming we’d be in the same position needed to beat Duke “with his legs”? I highly doubt we’d have more than 2 losses with him at QB.

For the same reasons I’m even assuming we are. in the game, because it’s all hypothetical. I saw Coan against Toledo, VT and others. Those type teams, not rated, he did not blow them out like Hartman did. CMU, Navy, Pitt.

I never saw Coan do that. It’s all just hypothetical so I can only put them in the same spot. 4th and 16, every single person covered. Does brick in the pants Coan make that run?

Bullshit. I watched Jaylon Smith lose millions by wrecking his knee playing in a bowl game, he was never the same player, and that's enough for me.
And, of course, that knee injury could have occurred at any time during the season or any time during his career. But for some reason, bowl games have become "meaningless." The fact that so many star players sit them out is one of the main reasons they have lost their luster.

I watch Notre Dame and the PAC 12. I am not Mel Kiper, who eats, lives, and breathes studying CFB talent. I listen to him every Saturday morning with Dari Nowkah. They take call ins. I will ask.

Thank God you are not comparing Audric Estime with Christian McCaffrey.
Who is? That would be dumb of them

For the same reasons I’m even assuming we are. in the game, because it’s all hypothetical. I saw Coan against Toledo, VT and others. Those type teams, not rated, he did not blow them out like Hartman did. CMU, Navy, Pitt.

I never saw Coan do that. It’s all just hypothetical so I can only put them in the same spot. 4th and 16, every single person covered. Does brick in the pants Coan make that run?
No. Either does Brady or Manning or Marino or Clausen or Mirer

Sorry that's a dumb question

Fluke accident, every player risks that every time they step on the field.

After what game do you think he should stop playing ?

Elite for this year, yes
Sums upped your flawed thinking. One year you could be the 10th best QB and not elite, stay a year, be the same player in a poor position group and suddenly elite. Flawed.

Due to a down year for a position group, doesn’t simply make the best of a poor group elite.

Sums upped your flawed thinking. One year you could be the 10th best QB and not elite, stay a year, be the same player in a poor position group and suddenly elite. Flawed.

Due to a down year for a position group, doesn’t simply make the best of a poor group elite.
I'm not comparing him to the past. I'm comparing him to the players this season

Estime is the best or one of the best rbs in cfb. He's an elite player for this year. I didnt say hes Reggie Bush or Adrian Peterson.

We're talking this season. Not HISTORICALLY!

I'm not comparing him to the past. I'm comparing him to the players this season

Estime is the best or one of the best rbs in cfb. He's an elite player for this year. I didnt say hes Reggie Bush or Adrian Peterson.

We're talking this season. Not HISTORICALLY!
Elite doesn’t change year over year in my mind. I guess that’s why we differ on Mitchell being elite. The bar for elite was set a long time ago and in my mind doesn’t change because of a poor position group. There are down years for some position groups each year where the consensus is there is no elite prospects.
What your effectively saying is a dude in 2022 might be the 10th best player at his position, not elite. But that same player might be the best in 2023 and now suddenly he is elite? Can’t wrap night heads around that.

Elite doesn’t change year over year in my mind. I guess that’s why we differ on Mitchell being elite. The bar for elite was set a long time ago and in my mind doesn’t change because of a poor position group. There are down years for some position groups each year where the consensus is there is no elite prospects.
What your effectively saying is a dude in 2022 might be the 10th best player at his position, not elite. But that same player might be the best in 2023 and now suddenly he is elite? Can’t wrap night heads around that.
It's really not that hard of a concept to comprehend

The Champion for this season will be elite for this year. Number 1

If they played LSU in 2019, theyd get crushed.

It's really not that hard of a concept to comprehend

The Champion for this season will be elite for this year. Number 1

If they played LSU in 2019, theyd get crushed.
Being the best of a shitty group, either position or team, doesn’t make you elite. There is a very wide gap between the only elite TE in the country (Bowers) and the rest. There is a bar that’s been set to be considered elite.

Being the best of a shitty group, either position or team, doesn’t make you elite. There is a very wide gap between the only elite TE in the country (Bowers) and the rest. There is a bar that’s been set to be considered elite.
For that year it does

For that year it does
Interesting take. Hypothetically you could be the best at your position and not make a great impact on games, go Undrafted but still be elite. On the flip side, could be the 10th best player at your position in a stacked class but just be good/solid- logic is F’ed.

Interesting take. Hypothetically you could be the best at your position and not make a great impact on games, go Undrafted but still be elite. On the flip side, could be the 10th best player at your position in a stacked class but just be good/solid- logic is F’ed.
That's a ridiculous statement. No one who is the best at their position goes undrafted and doesnt mak3 an impact. That is nonsense

Just because the team who wins the title this season cant beat 19 LSU, doesnt make them not elite this season

That's a ridiculous statement. No one who is the best at their position goes undrafted and doesnt mak3 an impact. That is nonsense

Just because the team who wins the title this season cant beat 19 LSU, doesnt make them not elite this season
Mitchell Evans is not elite. Sam Hartman will be graded higher on the overall boards. So if a player is ranked 3rd at his position but 150th overall but a another is 8th at his position and 50th overall, the player ranked higher at his position is more elite? Asinine

There can be years when players and teams are not elite.

Mitchell Evans is not elite. Sam Hartman will be graded higher on the overall boards. So if a player is ranked 3rd at his position but 150th overall but a another is 8th at his position and 50th overall, the player ranked higher at his position is more elite? Asinine

There can be years when players and teams are not elite.
Bull

Well pin this thread out remember it because Evans when he comes out will get drafted higher than Hartman does this year.

Don't forget about it

At the absolute best, Sam is a 3rd rd guy. More likely a 4th to 6th guy.

Evans will be drafted higher than him

Bull

Well pin this thread out remember it because Evans when he comes out will get drafted higher than Hartman does this year.

Don't forget about it

Some players, even great players, who have a propensity for injury, usually suffer in the draft.

Time will tell.

Bull

Don't forget about it

Right now, who is ranked higher when ranking the top players in CFB? It’s Hartman but he’s not elite and Mitchell is? Oh I got this one pinned and you can carry bag at Cypress next year

Right now, who is ranked higher when ranking the top players in CFB? It’s Hartman but he’s not elite and Mitchell is? Oh I got this one pinned and you can carry bag at Cypress next year
Mitchell is higher at his position compared to Sam right now. And if he didn't get hurt and both entered the draft, Mitchell would be drafted higher.

He's a better NFL prospect for his position than Sam is

Mitchell is higher at his position compared to Sam right now. And if he didn't get hurt and both entered the draft, Mitchell would be drafted higher.

He's a better NFL prospect for his position than Sam is
The current top 100 players in CFB, Sam is ranked higher.. Mitchell would prob be a 3-4th rounder, where I expect Sam to go.

The current top 100 players in CFB, Sam is ranked higher
It's impossible to make that comment since about 50 plus sites/analysts/scouts etc make up lists. Plus Evans was unknown to scouts/analysts going into the year and is now not entering the draft

So again that was a bad point. And we'll revisit this after Evans eventually enters the draft. We shall see

It's impossible to make that comment since about 50 plus sites/analysts/scouts etc make up lists. Plus Evans was unknown to scouts/analysts going into the year and is now not entering the draft

So again that was a bad point. And we'll revisit this after Evans eventually enters the draft. We shall see
Can you find one where Evans is higher, I sure as hell can’t ? We’re talking current state, not 1-2 years down the road. As it stands now, Mitchell is not elite and Sam is the better football player.

Can you find one where Evans is higher, I sure as hell can’t ? We’re talking current state, not 1-2 years down the road. As it stands now, Mitchell is not elite and Sam is the better football player.
You've said that before. We disagree. We shall see where they get drafted

Reactions: deadirishpoet
When ND brought in Hartman last winter, I think most fans agreed we needed help at QB, except a few people who thought some magical switch was going to turn on for Buchner.

I remember our defense throwing Hartman around like a rag doll when he started for Wake as a freshman in 2018 in the same game Book was officially made our starter. But prior to his arrival at ND, my knowledge of Hartman's abilities was limited to watching halftime highlights. I figured he would be a competent fill-in at best.

Early this season, I was duly impressed by his play against weaker competition, but have felt that it really tailed off as the opposition got better, although he deserves major props for a really gutsy performance against Duke.

There has been a lot of complaining about Parker's play calling and other aspects of the offense. Personally, I think the play calling has improved and the line seems to be recovering from its midseason funk, but I've gone from having complete faith in Hartman to the acceptance that he is what I originally thought he would be: a competent placeholder.

Thoughts?
His stock just took hit today

Reactions: bizzybecknd

I agree 100%.

Coaches and fans incur no risk, but players do.

I’m ok with players who gave it their all like Alt or Estime avoiding some risks to secure their NFL opportunity.

Let the team make the risk worth: like playoffs and NC game.

I agree 100%.

Coaches and fans incur no risk, but players do.

I’m ok with players who gave it their all like Alt or Estime avoiding some risks to secure their NFL opportunity.

Let the team make the risk worth: like playoffs and NC game.
Do you really think that the thousands of players playing college football have no love for the game, no competitive blood flowing through their veins ?

Of the hundreds or thousands of players, how many high draft choices have been injured in bowl games in the last ten years ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT