ADVERTISEMENT

How good, really, is Sam Hartman?

Well, they have one of the best defenses in the country. As do we. Which is why it was a close, low-scoring game. Also, with the new rules and with our need to grind out long drives in that game, the game went by fast and neither team had a lot of possessions.

But I don't fault Hartman nor anyone else. We just lost a close one to an equally-matched team. Those things happen.
If you want to take the next step as a program, you have to win those games.

Hartman want brought here to beat navy and tenn st. We needed him to excel in the big games.

He played okay but not well enough. We still need that difference maker at QB that we haven't had in a long time

It's a simple as that

Hartman want brought here to beat navy and tenn st. We needed him to excel in the big games.

He played okay but not well enough. We still need that difference maker at QB that we haven't had in a long time

It's a simple as that
If we go 10-2 against this schedule, it'll be a pretty good year IMO. This was one of our toughest schedules in a long time. This team's probably better than the 2018 and 2020 playoff teams IMO. But hopefully we can go 10-2 and make a NY6 bowl. But it's too bad next year's playoff format didn't start this year. 10-2 would certainly be good enough for that.

Last edited:
not sole reason. the entire offense wasn't good enough. He leads that group and he wasn't good enough on that night along with many others.
If you are a BMW and lead a group of WR's that collectively resemble a Volkswagen, there is only so much the BMW can do.

"It's as simple as that."

• Haha
Reactions: tbonesays
If you are a BMW and lead a group of WR's that collectively resemble a Volkswagen, there is only so much the BMW can do.

"It's as simple as that."
Bull. He has the best rb in cfb. An elite TE. A good OL.

5 turnovers against Louisville isn't on the wrs.

Reactions: Irish_inPSU
Bull. He has the best rb in cfb. An elite TE. A good OL.

5 turnovers against Louisville isn't on the wrs.
The multiple injuries to the starting WR corps in the Louisville game depleted a tepid WR group even more. In a word, you are disingenuous.

When the Louisville defense stacks the box to stop the running game because you have zero threats at WR due to injury...yeah, blame Sam Hartman.

Again. Disingenuous.

He’s another ok qb at notre dame. That’s what we get. Won’t make the pros because average arm, can’t run, and not a quick release.

The multiple injuries to the starting WR corps in the Louisville game depleted a tepid WR group even more. In a word, you are disingenuous.

When the Louisville defense stacks the box to stop the running game because you have zero threats at WR due to injury...yeah, blame Sam Hartman.

Again. Disingenuous.
And giving him no blame is disingenuous.

The 3 weak competition games he was really good.

The tougher games he has been okay

He’s another ok qb at notre dame. That’s what we get. Won’t make the pros because average arm, can’t run, and not a quick release.
Name a better QB available in the transfer portal last year.

It's a simple as that
3 point loss feels like a W compared to those 30-3 and 31-14 smack downs Book received against top competition.

3 point loss feels like a W compared to those 30-3 and 31-14 smack downs Book received against top competition.
True. I bet Book's opponents were better as they won the national title. The 17, 19 games against UGA are a better comparison.

This OSU team isn't as good as those teams. And our defense this year is better than those

This was our best chance

This OSU team isn't as good as those teams. And our defense this year is better than those

This was our best chance
How about the 45-14 shellacking against Michigan? That more comparable? Or another 34-10 ass kicking from Clemson in 2020? Big game Book

Yea but you seem to think Hartmans weapons are comparable to Boykin, Claypool, Kyren, Tremble, Kmet, McKinley.

Yep not all things are created equal and that goes for Book and Sam- one is clearly better.

Last edited:
How about the 45-14 shellacking against Michigan? That more comparable?

Yea but you seem to think Hartmans weapons are comparable to Boykin, Claypool, Kyren, Tremble, Kmet, McKinley.

Yep not all things are created equal and that goes for Book and Sam- one is clearly better.
You're throwing a lot of guys in there

Sam's group is better than most. With our rb, te and ol room. And his defense. The wrs are weak but all of our teams had a weak spot somewhere

How about the 45-14 shellacking against Michigan? That more comparable? Or another 34-10 ass kicking from Clemson in 2020? Big game Book

IB. 35-5 as a starter, and two 4-team CFB Playoff appearances.

You cherry pick two games out of 40 starts, hell, most, if not all starting QB's in CFB lose games.

He is outstanding. When he has time and people open.

He didn’t let the OSU DE jump the screen or that’s a walk off win. He didn’t have Tyree drop two well placed balls or drop the ball in the backfield. He didn’t tell Flores to grab some popcorn and watch the defenders take HIS ball. Just watch Pennick or Williams. Pennick had several passes that WR made huge adjustments on and he also had a few where the WR didn’t make a play.

If he has Claypool or Actually anyone he would find them. His best receivers are medium speed, slightly hurt freshmen.

When people are open, short or deep he hits them and when you needed him on 4th and 16 he made it. I don’t think he could do anything much more. But that’s just my Opinion and watching the other top QB’s they have about the same games just better WR talent.

How many times last year did we grab our heads on long balls 5 yards over players heads. Every time he goes deep your just waiting for the camera to pan and your saying “perfect ball Sam”
I agree with you. If he had more weapons then he would actually be more explosive.

People have accepted good and solid QB play and act like its great or elite

Book, Hartman, Coan, Kizer were all good solid qbs at Notre Dame.

None of them elite. It's been so long since we had one that our fan base has forgotten what it looks like

People have accepted good and solid QB play and act like its great or elite

Book, Hartman, Coan, Kizer were all good solid qbs at Notre Dame.

None of them elite. It's been so long since we had one that our fan base has forgotten what it looks like

Who would you say was the last elite quarterback to play at Notre Dame?

You're throwing a lot of guys in there

Sam's group is better than most. With our rb, te and ol room. And his defense. The wrs are weak but all of our teams had a weak spot somewhere
Yea lot of names/weapons- Book had a ton at his disposal.
Brady Quinn. If elite means Trevor Lawrence, Cam Newton, Jalen Hurts, ya Hartman is not them by any stretch but he’s also no Book or Coan. Clausen had elite traits but so hard to consider him elite given how bad ND teams were. I know not fair, but that’s how QBs are judged- ask Dan Marino.

I agree with you. If he had more weapons then he would actually be more explosive.
Can’t imagine what Hartman would do throwing to Mike Floyd and Tate or even Boykin/Claypool. What he’s done is remarkable given a converted RB in Tyree, two true freshman, Top WR in Jayden being out half the year and an “elite “ TE according to Golson, who had 3 catches last year. Seems Elite might be thrown around a little more loose by Everett if we’re considering Evans Elite….let’s get real Evans is solid and good as you put it.. brock bowers he is not.

Last edited:

It's a simple as that
Hartman is a difference maker

Hartman is “one” player !

Football is a “team” game !

Hartman doesn’t play defense !

Hartman doesn‘t play on special teams !

Hartman doesn’t coach !

Hartman depends upon his OLine to protect him !

Hartman depends upon his receivers to catch the ball !

Hartman is currently ranked 11th in the running for the Heisman Trophy, so evidently those guys in Vegas think highly of him.

Reactions: Irish_inPSU
For me, Brady Quinn. Although Id take Clausen over anyone else post Quinn.

I think we've had a lot of solid qbs but nothing elite

Can’t imagine what Hartman would do throwing to Mike Floyd and Tate or even Boykin/Claypool. What he’s done is remarkable given a converted RB in Tyree, two true freshman, Top WR in Jayden being out half the year and an “elite “ TE according to Golson, who had 3 catches last year. Seems Elite might be thrown around a little more loose by Everett if we’re considering Evans Elite….let’s get real Evans is solid and good as you put it.. brock bowers he is not.
Oh Evans is a stud. Outside of freak Bowers, I wouldn't take any other TE in the country over him. That is elite to me.

Best rb in the country. Elite TE. Good OL. Thats enough weapons to score more than 14, 20 and 20 against your best opponents

Putting up big numbers against Navy, Tenn state, CMU doesnt make you elite

You set a low bar

He ahs 18 tds and 5 ints this year....hardly REMARKABLE.... LOL

Oh Evans is a stud. Outside of freak Bowers, I wouldn't take any other TE in the country over him. That is elite to me.

Best rb in the country. Elite TE. Good OL. Thats enough weapons to score more than 14, 20 and 20 against your best opponents

You set a low bar

What better option was available in the portal last year? The answer is there wasn't one. There were no Trevor Lawrences in the portal last year. Freeman brought in the best option available.

The only one who might be better is Shedeur Sanders. But obviously, he was going to play for his father, so he wasn't really available.

Hartman is a difference maker

Hartman is “one” player !

Football is a “team” game !

Hartman doesn’t play defense !

Hartman doesn‘t play on special teams !

Hartman doesn’t coach !

Hartman depends upon his OLine to protect him !

Hartman depends upon his receivers to catch the ball !

Hartman is currently ranked 11th in the running for the Heisman Trophy, so evidently those guys in Vegas think highly of him.
I agree with everything here, except your first point. I just don't see it. The Oline has been hot garbage since the Ohio State game, I get that. But difference makers take the situation into their own hands. I don't feel like Hartman has done that much. He made a lot of bad decisions with the ball under pressure. Its a combo effort and the oline is the crux of it all I believe. But I don't think Hartman is anything special. Solid, yes.. .special, not so much.

What better option was available in the portal last year? The answer is there wasn't one. There were no Trevor Lawrences in the portal last year. Freeman brought in the best option available.

The only one who might be better is Shedeur Sanders. But obviously, he was going to play for his father, so he wasn't really available.
I never said we could have got better.

Sam has done a nice job here. And I'm glad he came. We needed him.

But I can also say hes not elite or great as well.

I'm not talking bad on him

If Sam doesn't win his next 3 games, the move was a failure on the part of the coaching staff. Heck, losing 2 as he has done and knocking him out of the playoffs could be seen as a failure.

I'm wondering, is the board expecting him to start the bowl game? If so, what would be his rationale?

If Sam doesn't win his next 3 games, the move was a failure on the part of the coaching staff. Heck, losing 2 as he has done and knocking him out of the playoffs could be seen as a failure.

I'm wondering, is the board expecting him to start the bowl game? If so, what would be his rationale?
If it's a NY6, I want him to play and think he will. If it's not, I'd rather Angeli and Minchey get the playing time

If it's a NY6, I want him to play and think he will. If it's not, I'd rather Angeli and Minchey get the playing time
RE: Angeli or Minchey, I don't think next years QB is on the roster today, so I'm not sure how that helps anything. But that aside, what is Sam's rationale for playing the NY6 bowl? His draft status could likely only drop if he's playing a good team on NY day. Or, he could be injured. I understand you want him to play, but I'm not sure it helps him, unless he plays lights out. That would seem to be unlikely with his WR room injured and his top TE out.

I never said we could have got better.

Sam has done a nice job here. And I'm glad he came. We needed him.

But I can also say hes not elite or great as well.

I'm not talking bad on him
I think he's done a great job overall. He's not Trevor Lawrence or Bryce Young, but he's a very good college QB IMO. I'll give him a B+ so far, due to the Louisville game bringing him down a bit.

RE: Angeli or Minchey, I don't think next years QB is on the roster today, so I'm not sure how that helps anything. But that aside, what is Sam's rationale for playing the NY6 bowl? His draft status could likely only drop if he's playing a good team on NY day. Or, he could be injured. I understand you want him to play, but I'm not sure it helps him, unless he plays lights out. That would seem to be unlikely with his WR room injured and his top TE out.
Regardless, one of them will be the main backup or oitright starter if the guy you are referring to gets injured. So it's actually very important.

Hes not going to be a top 2 round draft prospect so I guess you can say that about all players like that

I think he's done a great job overall. He's not Trevor Lawrence or Bryce Young, but he's a very good college QB IMO. I'll give him a B+ so far, due to the Louisville game bringing him down a bit.
That's fair. Id say a B so not very different

For me, Brady Quinn. Although Id take Clausen over anyone else post Quinn.

I think we've had a lot of solid qbs but nothing elite
I thought Quinn was a terrific QB and was surprised he didn't make the grade in the NFL. I was not as impressed with Clausen who could throw to people named Floyd, Tate, Rudolph, etc...

Now that players are getting NIL money, you'd think they'd be required to play the entire season, bowl game included.

You set a low bar

Elite is Michael Mayer, Tyler Eifert, Brock Bowers. Kincaid. Mitchell is not elite. If he’s considered Elite, no doubt Hartman should be as well. Who do you think every coach, player and analyst would consider more elite? Seems your bars are quite different based on position, much higher expectations for QB.

29 catches, 429 yds and 1 TD is hardly elite.

Elite is Michael Mayer, Tyler Eifert, Brock Bowers. Kincaid. Mitchell is not elite. If he’s considered Elite, no doubt Hartman should be as well. Who do you think every coach, player and analyst would consider more elite? Seems your bars are quite different based on position, much higher expectations for QB.

29 catches, 429 yds and 1 TD is hardly elite.
I think Evans is the 2nd best TE in cfb when he is on the field this year

I would rank Hartman around 8 to 12
As a QB

You see the gap. That's my opinion. I think Evans is better at his position than Hartman is at his

I think Evans is the 2nd best TE in cfb when he is on the field this year

I would rank Hartman around 8 to 12
As a QB

You see the gap. That's my opinion. I think Evans is better at his position than Hartman is at his
Describing Evans as "elite..." is simply hyperbole.

And frankly, saying you spend the time to study all TE's across CFB and then proclaim Evans as #2 is also a stretch.

I think Evans was leading college football in receptions for TE at the time of his injury. Maybe not elite, but well on his way.

I think Evans was leading college football in receptions for TE at the time of his injury. Maybe not elite, but well on his way.
Yesterday Golson said Audric Estime is the best running back in CFB.

So he is consistent at least.

Describing Evans as "elite..." is simply hyperbole.

And frankly, saying you spend the time to study all TE's across CFB and then proclaim Evans as #2 is also a stretch.
If you are a top 3 TE in the country you are elite at the position imo.

He is that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT