ADVERTISEMENT

How good, really, is Sam Hartman?

Disagree. We moved the ball very well. He only got to throw it 25 times because of the flow of the game.

Maybe you hold the two 4th and 1s against him more than I do.

Hartman was finding open receivers all game.
Maybe we have different definitions of great then?

He threw for 175 yards. Ran for -2. Had 1 touchdown. And scored 14 points

That isn't great to me on any scale. He was okay.

When you have the football with 3:30 left and you do not put the game away against Ohio St, and get beat, don't say Sam Hartman played "great..." against Ohio St.

Hartman was good, not great.

I think they called a run play that lost 3 and another that got stuffed. The screen they let a free rusher in that knocked down the pass. Not really his issue in that last series.

For me, the more interesting comparison is with Coan.

Coan to many was the PLACEHOLDER AS MIXED BAG. And while it’s true he got pulled a couple of times, he also PUT THE TEAM ON HIS BACK, LEADING IT TO THREE LATE COMEBACK WINS during an 11-2 season.

The question for me is – will Hartman’s CONSISTENCY be remembered for long if at some point he CAN’T TAKE OVER A GAME and DELIVER A W with the outcome CLEARLY IN DOUBT?

Maybe we’ll get to find out.

As for PURE PRODUCTIVITY, Coan exceeded Book in almost all categories:

13 games

386 attempts

253 completions

65.5% completions

8.2 yards per attempt

25 TD completions

7 interceptions

151.8 QB rating

As it now stands, Hartman’s productivity is likely to exceed Coan’s.

Key question, though – will he also lead ND to an 11-2 record?

Those comebacks where against atrocious teams. It’s hard to compare to Coan with that schedule. Book is a better compare because they actually played some decent comp.

Va Tech was Aweful and Buch saved that game. Toledo for gods sake took a miracle win and Wisky Pyne had to win it.

Hartman might have passed for 5k yards against the comp we played that year

They played 1 ranked team in the end, Cinci and lost not including the bowl that they lost.

Pretty sure Sam is 12-0 with that schedule.

Honestly you think Coan is 8-0 with this team? Be honest.

I’m betting we have 4 losses with Coan as a starter on this exact team.
4 losses? Ridiculous.

I don’t see him beating OSU or L’ville. I don’t see him scrambling for 16 yards at Duke, he had -100 yards at ND. Yea. That’s right. Look it up. Sam destroyed the early weak teams. Coan struggled against them. I don’t see it. Coan was serviceable. I was glad we got him but he is not Sam. Sam will finish 3rd or 4th in NCAA all time passing leader. Coan, not so much

I don’t see him beating OSU or L’ville. I don’t see him scrambling for 16 yards at Duke, he had -100 yards at ND. Yea. That’s right. Look it up. Sam destroyed the early weak teams. Coan struggled against them. I don’t see it. Coan was serviceable. I was glad we got him but he is not Sam. Sam will finish 3rd or 4th in NCAA all time passing leader. Coan, not so much
Coan played behind one of the worst OL I've seen at ND in the last 15 years.

He would be getting to play being this OL remember that.

He went 25 tds to 7ints behind a poor line.

He'd be doing just fine on this team

Concur 100.

Maybe. But we still have 3-4 losses. He doesn’t beat Duke with his legs.

Just looking at resume over 5 years. Coan had just over 6k yards. Sam had hurst over 14k in 5 years. Just hard to see them equal.

Maybe. But we still have 3-4 losses. He doesn’t beat Duke with his legs.

Just looking at resume over 5 years. Coan had just over 6k yards. Sam had hurst over 14k in 5 years. Just hard to see them equal.
He wouldn't need to beat them with his legs. It would be 2 different games. The same exact play and circumstance wouldn't be the same

Run first Wisconsin offense against the big 10. Mesh rpo offense in the acc

One guy has over 1800 attempts. One guy has over 800 attempts. That's 1000 extra passes

Apples and oranges

Reactions: tbonesays and sjb75
He wouldn't need to beat them with his legs. It would be 2 different games. The same exact play and circumstance wouldn't be the same

Run first Wisconsin offense against the big 10. Mesh rpo offense in the acc

One guy has over 1800 attempts. One guy has over 800 attempts. That's 1000 extra passes

Apples and oranges

He's in his 6th year. He should be held to a higher standard
Spin it any way you like, tell us what years we’re allowed to compare the two, almighty. How about the guy who was more touted and recruited by ND out of high school, spent 5 years in the system should be held to a higher standard.

When ND brought in Hartman last winter, I think most fans agreed we needed help at QB, except a few people who thought some magical switch was going to turn on for Buchner.

I remember our defense throwing Hartman around like a rag doll when he started for Wake as a freshman in 2018 in the same game Book was officially made our starter. But prior to his arrival at ND, my knowledge of Hartman's abilities was limited to watching halftime highlights. I figured he would be a competent fill-in at best.

Early this season, I was duly impressed by his play against weaker competition, but have felt that it really tailed off as the opposition got better, although he deserves major props for a really gutsy performance against Duke.

There has been a lot of complaining about Parker's play calling and other aspects of the offense. Personally, I think the play calling has improved and the line seems to be recovering from its midseason funk, but I've gone from having complete faith in Hartman to the acceptance that he is what I originally thought he would be: a competent placeholder.

Thoughts?
Do you think that ND only going 44 yards against “better competition“ had any impact on Hartman’s performance ?

Do you think that the OLines failure to provide adequate protection against “better competition” has any impact on Hartman’s performance ?

What do you think of the body of Hartman’s work, the totality as represented by his statistics as a college QB ?

When ND brought in Hartman last winter, I think most fans agreed we needed help at QB, except a few people who thought some magical switch was going to turn on for Buchner.

I remember our defense throwing Hartman around like a rag doll when he started for Wake as a freshman in 2018 in the same game Book was officially made our starter. But prior to his arrival at ND, my knowledge of Hartman's abilities was limited to watching halftime highlights. I figured he would be a competent fill-in at best.

Early this season, I was duly impressed by his play against weaker competition, but have felt that it really tailed off as the opposition got better, although he deserves major props for a really gutsy performance against Duke.

There has been a lot of complaining about Parker's play calling and other aspects of the offense. Personally, I think the play calling has improved and the line seems to be recovering from its midseason funk, but I've gone from having complete faith in Hartman to the acceptance that he is what I originally thought he would be: a competent placeholder.

Thoughts?
He's 7-2 ... enough said.

Spin it any way you like, tell us what years we’re allowed to compare the two, almighty. How about the guy who was more touted and recruited by ND out of high school, spent 5 years in the system should be held to a higher standard.
I already said what years to compare them.

I'm sorry it hurts your little feelings that Hartman hasnt been great this year but just very solid.

I already said what years to compare them.

I'm sorry it hurts your little feelings that Hartman hasnt been great this year but just very solid.
Na I prefer to compare their first 5 years. Post those for me. Nice work cherry picking the best year for book- whatever fits the narrative.

Na I prefer to compare their first 5 years. Post those for me. Nice work cherry picking the best year for book- whatever fits the narrative.
Hartman is better than very solid. Much better. A very good CFB QB, who is playing with WR's that collectively are slightly above average.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Hartman is better than very solid. Much better. A very good CFB QB, who is playing with WR's that collectively are slightly above average.
100%, WR room is fairly non existent (promising group) and OLine/run game have been awful at times (especially when it matters). Would love to see Hartman with two NFL receivers in Claypool/Boykin and Kyren, Mayer, Kmet and Tremble in tow. Even so, Book usually panicked and took off and ran himself. Poised

Reactions: ftnfan62
100%, WR room is fairly non existent (promising group) and OLine/run game have been awful at times (especially when it matters). Would love to see Hartman with two NFL receivers in Claypool/Boykin and Kyren, Mayer, Kmet and Tremble in tow. Even so, Book usually panicked and took off and ran himself. Poised
Ian Book, 35-5 as a starter and two CFB 4-team playoff appearances, was way better than some guy who "usually panicked and took off and ran himself."

Why would I post what they did at different schools. Someone said Hartman was the best qb at ND since Clause or Quinn.

He's not having that type of season. Book has had a better season. He's on par with what Coan did here.

Im sorry that hurts your feelings

And maybe the best rb in college. An elite TE. And a good OL...... I see you left a little out there huh?

I agree with Goolsby on the SH question with one caveat. Goolsby says he was brought in to win 3 games. I say he was brought in to win 4 because I include Clemson.

So far, SH is 1-2.

Reactions: Golson5

We had an easier schedule in 2021. The only highly-ranked team we played was Cincinnati, which we lost to at home. And Coan struggled sometimes against mediocre teams, like Toledo. Personally, I think Hartman's better.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
We had an easier schedule in 2021. The only highly-ranked team we played was Cincinnati, which we lost to at home. And Coan struggled sometimes against mediocre teams, like Toledo. Personally, I think Hartman's better.
I do too. But it's not by much.

Hartman had better around him. If you take out the 3 cupcake game stats, Hartmans numbers are very pedestrian

Our most experience WR hasn't played a down. Thomas hasn't been himself in four games. Our highest ranked TE is finally getting back into the game. SH did this with two (now three with Faison)) FRESHMEN WRs and a Soph who is finally figuring it out. None of them were Branch-good out of high school.

That's on Del A -- but... I can't wait to see this WR room in two or three years!

I'm thankful for a QB that doesn't throw a short pass into the ground.

People will fry me for this but: I actually see Hartman having the best chance since BQ to play on Sundays. He can make all the throws. He sees the field better than anyone since Clausen. And... he has the right attitude. He may surprise people.

Our most experience WR hasn't played a down. Thomas hasn't been himself in four games. Our highest ranked TE is finally getting back into the game. SH did this with two (now three with Faison)) FRESHMEN WRs and a Soph who is finally figuring it out. None of them were Branch-good out of high school.

That's on Del A -- but... I can't wait to see this WR room in two or three years!

I'm thankful for a QB that doesn't throw a short pass into the ground.
What wr hasn't played

Maybe we have different definitions of great then?

He threw for 175 yards. Ran for -2. Had 1 touchdown. And scored 14 points

That isn't great to me on any scale. He was okay.
As far as the Ohio State game, while 17/25 for 175 yds and a TD aren't great numbers, they're better than any other QB has had against Ohio State this year. They actually have a really good pass defense - they're #1 in the nation in yards/attempt allowed and #1 in QB rating allowed. BTW we're tied for 2nd in QB rating allowed, with Michigan.

Lets just go to stats. Takes some emotion out.

Book 2020 - 12 games, 2830 yards, 64.6% compl, 8.0 avg per compl, 3 pics, 15 TD's, 144.3 rating
Hartman 2023 - 8 games, 2126 yards, 65.4% compl, 9.3 avg per compl, 5 pics, 18 TD's, 165.3 rating

With 4 games to go, and I dont remember book ever leaving the field for the 4th quarter, let alone 3-4 times like Hartman will, he should destroy one of the all-time statistics leaders at ND year for year comparison at QB.

All this with a tougher schedule, fist time OC and a new HC. Book also had Lenzy, Davis, Skowroneck, and Kevin Austin. Just a tiny bit more talent.

When you look at the stats, looks to be an outstanding year so far.
More talent in that WR corp? Not sure I agree. More experience, yes. Why can't we consider both good college qbs? I like to deal in reality- perception was he was brought in as the missing piece to beat the elite (OSU, GA, Bama), win a title. We didn't beat the elite (at home on top of that) and probably not winning a title. Has made us better than if not here and has helped the advancement of the WR room

As far as the Ohio State game, while 17/25 for 175 yds and a TD aren't great numbers, they're better than any other QB has had against Ohio State this year. They actually have a really good pass defense - they're #1 in the nation in yards/attempt allowed and #1 in QB rating allowed. BTW we're tied for 2nd in QB rating allowed, with Michigan.
So, he wasn't good enough to beat Ohio State at home on that evening.

So, he wasn't good enough to beat Ohio State at home on that evening.
If we'd had 11 defenders on the field, maybe they don't get that last inch, and then Hartman was good enough to beat Ohio State.

Reactions: francade
14 points..... not good enough
Then find better WR's that can create separation.

For you to point to Sam Hartman as the sole reason Notre Dame scored 14 against OSU is disingenuous.

Then find better WR's that can create separation.

For you to point to Sam Hartman as the sole reason Notre Dame scored 14 against OSU is disingenuous.
not sole reason. the entire offense wasn't good enough. He leads that group and he wasn't good enough on that night along with many others.

Reactions: Golson5
14 points..... not good enough
Well, they have one of the best defenses in the country. As do we. Which is why it was a close, low-scoring game. Also, with the new rules and with our need to grind out long drives in that game, the game went by fast and neither team had a lot of possessions.

But I don't fault Hartman nor anyone else. We just lost a close one to an equally-matched team. Those things happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT