ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread ... ND vs Cal

Misdirection.

I believe some time ago someone posted something on the fact that our current ND team has no or very few plays the take advantage of misdirection. It was pointed out that Are and Lou both used misdirection a lot in their offenses. Many on this board seemed to shoot that concept down.

However, with our current skill set, and athleticism, I would think any good coach would try to work more misdirection plays into the offense to spread defenses out and help the offense. Why keep trying to pound square and triangular pegs into round holes when you don't have any round pegs?

Devise your offense (and defense) to fit the personnel you have and recruit better to get players who fit what you really want to do.
hmm. sometimes the players seem to not know which direction to go?

No, you need a HC with experience and a good track record
But we don't have that right now....he'll have to learn on the job quickly...he's not getting fired this year so might as well support the best we can and move forward....recruit, recruit, recruit, hit the transfer portal..

Pyne to me definitely looks better than Buckner. Seems like more upside...getting better in this game.

The difference is composure and throwing accuracy. Buckner seemed to play harried, although he was at times. But even when having time in the pocket, he threw poorly.

For me, pocket passing with an arm is probably the 1st skill I like in a QB.

Now the defense has to hold and let the offense run off as much time as possible.

Pyne to me definitely looks better than Buckner. Seems like more upside...getting better in this game.

The difference is composure and throwing accuracy. Buckner seemed to play harried, although he was at times. But even when having time in the pocket, he threw poorly.

Pyne is not better than Buchner....

I'm no defense expert.

But why is here such a gap during a play between the ND front 4 when the Cal QB beats them and ND linebackers?

Pyne has a running game and a clean pocket to work with.

Lucky… he was about to run for another conversion

D better than O but not good

Looks like we're going to get the win! Doesn't say much about Cal's offense that they went for it in easy FG range with lots of time left....

But hey, ND needed an opponent like this.....

Great play by IF......I could just see the Cal QB breaking off another 10-15 yard run.

Now Oline punish them.....and lets get this game over with a W!!!!!!!

Reactions: rgc7
But we don't have that right now....he'll have to learn on the job quickly...he's not getting fired this year so might as well support the best we can and move forward....recruit, recruit, recruit, hit the transfer portal..
I don’t disagree, but hiring an inexperienced DC and hoping that he learns on the job is beyond dumb, especially when that strategy has failed for you on so many previous occasions

Reactions: rgc7
I don’t disagree, but hiring an inexperienced DC and hoping that he learns on the job is beyond dumb, especially when that strategy has failed for you on so many previous occasions
I'm with you on that, for sure.....but its done....and they are not walking back that decision anytime soon....best thing the administration and boosters can do is the staff everything they need to succeed....and I mean EVERYTHING just like what Oklahoma and O$U when they made 1st time HC hires...

Just boggles my mind. We haven’t attempted a throw over 15 yards all day. Why would a WR recruit want to go to ND?

Reactions: TheSodFather
This is good, this is a great way to close out the win. Cal is as advertised, not that great. But neither is ND and yet they stepped up and delivered.....

Reactions: christophero
Just boggles my mind. We haven’t attempted a throw over 15 yards all day. Why would a WR recruit want to go to ND?
It’s your QB’s first start and you want a controlled passing game that’s not prone to interceptions

Hate the way ND tried to "run out the clock". Plays used were TERRIBLE!

It was a hard fought win. Ugly. But ND improved through the game, with the offense finally showing some consistency with OL push and running.

I still think Pyne also showed growing composure and accuracy in the game. I sure hope this is a positive inflection point.

Well: as I post this a targeting penalty might give UC a chance. Wow.

Animated GIF

I hate the pussifacation of football. Defenseless player? Well…he should have defended himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT