ADVERTISEMENT

ND joins a conference, what’s the worst thing that would happen??

Have you been on campus lately???

All of the upgrades takes $$$$.

The biggest issue will be qualifying for the CFP. At anytime ND could be on the outside looking in when it comes to qualifying for the CFP.

Are you willing to stay independent and keep your worthless independent tradition if it means ND can no longer qualify for the CFP because only Conferance champions make the playoffs or you have to belong to a conference period???

There are zero reasons to stay independent. How do I know this?

BECAUSE EVERY TOP TEAM IN THE PAST 20 YEARS BELONGS TO A CONFERANCE AND THEY ARE DOING JUST FINE.

Some teams are actually doing better than independent Notre Dame.
Better in revenue
Better in recruiting
Better in wins
Better in championships

ND will NOT be hurt in anyway if they joined a conference.
The only reason we join a conference is not having a shot at the playoffs. That's it.

Money will always be there. ND has plenty of it and will be getting a big boost soon with apparel and tv.

Money is not an issue

Notre Dame would still be very relevant, they would be on television every single week.

Look at how many brands are in conferences.

Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
Alabama
LSU
Florida
USC
UNC
Duke
Oklahoma

I'm talking large money making brands, regardless of the sport. But each of those schools I listed has at least one major revenue sport (whether basketball or football) that is a major brand.

Losing the TV contract--Notre Dame would be on TV every single week if they were in a conference because the powers that be know that their games draw ratings.

The national appeal would not be affected, are you saying people would stop watching ND games if they joined a conference? Absolutely no way. In fact, it may even draw more intrigue.

Notre Dame's independence isn't what you think it is, the ACC dictates to ND who they will play from the conference each year. That most certainly is not independence. Most teams in the ACC get a bye before playing ND on their schedule. I live in ACC country and I love that I have the ability to go see them play depending on the opponents each year. However, if Notre Dame was truly independent, those 4-5 ACC games a year would be replaced with other teams on the schedule of ND's choosing. But this is the agreement Notre Dame got with the ACC, they are fence-sitting about being in a conference. At some point the way this gets structured, Notre Dame will have to commit.
Not on national tv every week.

No they won't have to commit. As long as they have a path to the playoff they don't have to do a thing

No they won't have to commit. As long as they have a path to the playoff they don't have to do a thing

They would be on ESPN or ABC every week. They are a numbers and ratings draw. You know when their road games are on ACC Network, that is not a national network, right?

I guess you call Peacock and the ACC Network “National Television”. 🙂

In a sense, I guess you are right. But I can pretty much guarantee you AT LEAST that much National exposure in the Big Ten. You would pretty much be guaranteed exposure on three of the four major over the air Networks. Big Boy NBC, Big Boy CBS, and Big Boy FOX.

You would still get ESPN/ABC coverage if you played at a non-Conference ESPN/ABC venue. And you would be getting EXPONENTIALLY more free advertising exposure during NFL games through your affiliation with CBS and FOX.

Last edited:
Actually, although it hasn’t been officially announced yet, it appears your “contract with NBC” has either been drastically affected to where you will be locked out of any night games at home beginning in 2023, or, Swarbrick has already given a “silent verbal” to NBC that you will be joining the Big Ten.

Indications are that Kevin Warren has negotiated an exclusive 7:30 PM window with NBC to televise Big Ten Games ONLY in that time slot beginning next year. Of course if Notre Dame is a Big Ten member, that is totally irrelevant. But if they are Independent, they will be locked out of being able to play a Home game at night.

There are some other things in that contract that may negatively affect Notre Dame wrt NBC programming unless Notre Dame is a full time Big Ten member. But since the details haven’t been publicly announced yet, and the possibility that any negatives become totally irrelevant if Notre Dame does in fact become a member, I won’t get into those right now.

In short, the tea leaves seem to indicate that if you stay with NBC, you will be joining the Big Ten.
Our JoePa defender appears!

Have you been on campus lately???

All of the upgrades takes $$$$.

The biggest issue will be qualifying for the CFP. At anytime ND could be on the outside looking in when it comes to qualifying for the CFP.

Are you willing to stay independent and keep your worthless independent tradition if it means ND can no longer qualify for the CFP because only Conferance champions make the playoffs or you have to belong to a conference period???

There are zero reasons to stay independent. How do I know this?

BECAUSE EVERY TOP TEAM IN THE PAST 20 YEARS BELONGS TO A CONFERANCE AND THEY ARE DOING JUST FINE.

Some teams are actually doing better than independent Notre Dame.
Better in revenue
Better in recruiting
Better in wins
Better in championships

ND will NOT be hurt in anyway if they joined a conference.
You are aware of how big the endowment is?

Just asking the question
The thrill is gone. The cachet is gone. The desire of the sec n big to salivate over ND is gone. The brand is diluted. Remember that girl you wanted Zorro and she never gave you the time of day? You still think about her. That’s ND

You are aware of how big the endowment is?
So let’s just play every TV game for free or donate all media earnings to smaller schools or some charity????

You guys act like ND does not need media revenue so play for free?????

So let’s just play every TV game for free or donate all media earnings to smaller schools or some charity????

They don't need it but it's nice to have.

Not going to give up our independence over a few extra bucks

They don't need it but it's nice to have.

Not going to give up our independence over a few extra bucks
Giving up independence comes down to 1 thing, CFP eligibility.

Until that is threatened ND will always chose independence.

However, if ND is forced to join a conference because of CFP eligibility, there will be zero negative effects on ND football.

Giving up independence comes down to 1 thing, CFP eligibility.

Until that is threatened ND will always chose independence.

However, if ND is forced to join a conference because of CFP eligibility, there will be zero negative effects on ND football.
We agree on the first part

We disagree on the second part

Not talking to you but I'm so sick of hearing about it

I cant wait til the season starts

And you keep getting ridiculous in your responses. Where did anyone say they didn’t need media revenue? Same place where they gave the rules about who can use what curse words?

ND becomes just another program. That's what happens.

Present day it's really the one thing that keeps them unique. Extremely unique.

High standards? Several other programs have that.

Tradition? Several have that.

Having the above as an independent? Nobody has that but us.

Moreover ND is it's very own brand. They are a conference themselves.
Just how powerful is ND?

More than any other program they still command the highest respect in country all without winning a title since 1988.

Truth be told they haven't been elite since the Holtz era yet they're still king of the mountain. They aren't far and away on top of the mountain any longer but.....

The right coach and some success against the elites and they'll be way out in front again.

Join a conference and all the above is gone!

You write that down

Reactions: Jdogg84

Just how powerful is ND?

More than any other program they still command the highest respect in country all without winning a title since 1988.

Truth be told they haven't been elite since the Holtz era yet they're still king of the mountain. They aren't far and away on top of the mountain any longer but.....

The right coach and some success against the elites and they'll be way out in front again.

You write that down

The next three years (probably even less) are going to be fun ! 🙂

You think Michigan State is a national program LOL

Why are you worried about NDs money and why as a fan would I care about their money. ND will never have a money problem. Irrelevant

You are not a ND fan and your program is not unique and doesnt have the freedom that we have had for over a century. I wouldn't expect you to understand

We will have more power than ever the longer we stay independent
He just couldn't give Michigan credit. LOL! Seems to me Ohio, Penn State and Michigan are the national brands.

Why are you so concerned about Notre Dame Football finances? It hasn’t been an issue, ever.

It's a reasonable compromise as well as a potential penultimate move towards full conference membership. Or not. But I don't see it as REAL INDEPENDENCE -- because there's an obvious DEPENDENCY FACTOR. Which is that ND needs comparable TV money; other schools' willingness to allow it to retain CFP eligibility; and a home for its other sports.

Yes, it's a mirror of the ACC deal, but I've never considered that arrangement LEGITIMATE PROOF of ND's continued FOOTBALL INDEPENDENCE. The ND/ACC deal is basically a LAWYER'S TRICK. It's TITULAR INDEPENDENCE with the whole thing hinging on the ACC's allowing ND certain prerogatives in return for playing a required number of games against members of its conference.

That's not FULLY INDEPENDENT. That's HALF PREGNANT.

Which leads back to the basic question of WHY MUST THIS CONCEIT BE PERPETUATED? Especially when much simpler solutions are available and almost ACHING to be implemented.

I also have difficulty seeing it as a LONG-TERM SOLUTION. Who can speak for the Big Ten, but if it were me, I'd only agree to such an arrangement for 5 years then require full conference membership. If ND chose not to comply, it could THEN OPT OUT.

In no other sport is the kind of EXCEPTION ND is looking for granted. In a way, it's an OUTRAGEOUS REQUEST in light of ND's need for conference membership in other sports. If I were the rest of CFB, I'd play hardball with ND. Say to it basically, PUT UP or SHUT UP. You need us more than we need you.

Contrary to what many on ND boards may think, CFB would not fold up and die if ND exited the scene.

But, again, to answer your question, if ND wishes to do this and the Big Ten is willing -- and some sort of equitable playoff eligibility scenario for ND can be concocted -- then this would probably be the best solution out there.

But such an arrangement might come as quite a shock to a lot of ND fans as in any given year, UM, MSU, OSU, PSU and USC have the firepower to beat ND. And it could even happen in the SAME YEAR! Even as Iowa, Purdue, Minnesota or Wisconsin in the right year could do likewise.

I can't see how playing Big Ten teams regularly wouldn't result in MORE LOSSES. Even in good years, ND has ALWAYS LOST TO BIG TEN TEAMS. And in some years, more than one. Plus, in the 50's and early 60's when ND lost regularly to Big 10 teams. I can't remember any one season where it played more than four in all. Never five.

And now, with NIL and the portal, even a semi-Big Ten schedule could be TREACHEROUS.
One could argue with all the changes the ACC needs ND to stick around 5-6 times a year now more than ever.

They would be on ESPN or ABC every week. They are a numbers and ratings draw. You know when their road games are on ACC Network, that is not a national network, right?
The one time per year that happens. And that is usually vs Duke or another bottom feeder.

Just how powerful is ND?

You write that down

Being dictated by the ACC the 4-5 teams they play each season does not amount to independence. They've dipped their toe in the water but they don't want to go all in.

Being dictated by the ACC the 4-5 teams they play each season does not amount to independence. They've dipped their toe in the water but they don't want to go all in.
When it gives your entire athletic program entrance into the ACC, it’s a damn good deal and a genius move by Jack Swarbick.

Just how powerful is ND?

You write that down
I understand your points. However, as a program, joining a conference would not dismantle the tradition of Notre Dame football. Yes, we as fans could no longer say Notre Dame football is it’s own conference.

Howevrt, what makes Notre Dame special goes beyond independence. What makes Notre Dame special are the fingerprints Notre Dame has left for a century all over college football.

Nothing can and nothing will change that.

Reactions: HawksDominate

Just how powerful is ND?

You write that down
It's called Northwestern.

You get marginalized nationally like PSU and Miami.

How many games do they get on tv a year
PSU has never and will never be in the same category as Notre Dame.

The only similarity is they both were independent at one time.

When it gives your entire athletic program entrance into the ACC, it’s a damn good deal and a genius move by Jack Swarbick.
You mean that conference that's about to get dismantled in a decade? Yeah good luck with that

PSU has never and will never be in the same category as Notre Dame.

The only similarity is they both were independent at one time.
I dont think anyone says PSU and Notre Dame were ever in the same category.

But fact is they were a more national program and a better program prior to their Big 10 move. They are now a regional school and not the program they once were

I dont think anyone says PSU and Notre Dame were ever in the same category.

But fact is they were a more national program and a better program prior to their Big 10 move. They are now a regional school and not the program they once were
So do you believe if PSU stayed independent they would be a top 5 team each season?

I have never heard one PSU fan ever say we should have stayed independent.

I believe their move to a conference was money based. They were not being offered a NBC contract.

So do you believe if PSU stayed independent they would be a top 5 team each season?

I have never heard one PSU fan ever say we should have stayed independent.

I believe their move to a conference was money based. They were not being offered a NBC contract.
No that's a silly response. No team is top 5 each season. That was just a weird comment.

I have heard them say it as I live in Pa. Now they are pro Big ten pom pom wavers. But when you bring up to them how yes they have made more money by joining the Big but they have become a much lesser football program they either get quiet, start stumbling for an answer or dont have a rebuttal.

It's also funny talking to the younger fans who are typical fans who say ND has to join a conference blah blah blah. Then you bring up to them that they were an independent before joining the Big they are surprised.

Psu needed the money in the Big, we dont. Why we would try to be like other programs is beyond me when we dont have to. Why some ND fans would want to join that conference is also beyond me

One reason and one only

Men's basketball

How has that gone?
After all thr big east recruits left and they've been solely acc recruits.....

Face plant?

Wbb like Uconn doesn't need a conference or a major one.

Baseball? It's Baseball

Fencing? Uuuhhh

Hockey? Competes in Big10

One god damn reason....

Men's basketball

Why some ND fans would want to join that conference is also beyond me
Because many choose to be trendy and just repeat what a talking head at ESPN says on a subject.

A world full of followers and NO god damn LEADERS

Reactions: jerbach
Lose its identity??? How???

B10 schools like Minnesota makes more TV revenue from the B10 network that ND does with NBC.
You don't understand. Yeah Minnesota does .ame more money... That money also pays for the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and all enhancements and improvements.

ND gets paid for 6 games and all that money does is pay for football. Throw in the apparel deal.

When ND wanted to do the crossroads project they didn't use tv money or apparel money like most schools would need to, they raised half a billion bucks in two weeks.

NDs accounting is totally different than any conference school

Reactions: Golson5
You get marginalized nationally like PSU and Miami.

How many games do they get on tv a year

Tell me you’re not serious. I can’t speak for Miami, but Penn State has had every one of their games televised for at least the last 20 years. Maybe 30. I know, because I have all our wins on video tape (I usually tape over the losses) 🙂.

The other cool thing about joining the Big Ten was that when we were Independent, it was National Championship or bust. After one loss, our season was basically done (although we DID win the National Championship in 1982 with one loss).

When we joined the Big Ten, even if we had a bad early season loss, we were still in the hunt for the Rose Bowl when that actually meant something. Made the season EXPONENTIALLY more exciting because the season wasn’t based on politics anymore (where you were ranked in the polls). It ended on you having the best record in the Big Ten, and then winning the Rose Bowl on the field.

We did get burned in 1994 when we got locked into playing Oregon in the Rose Bowl instead of Nebraska for the National Championship. But then again, we were used to that after getting burned as an Independent in 1968, 1969, and 1973.

All in all, joining the Big Ten was the best move we ever made. Both financially and academically by way of our participation in the Big Ten Academic Alliance (the old CIC).

Whatever Notre Dame does is up to them. You know the door is always open. It’s just crazy to think your afternoon game at Home next year against USC will probably be the NBC lead in game to someone like Rutgers or Maryland if either one of them end up being any good. And they will be raking in over $100 million while you are still stuck somewhere in the neighborhood of $32 million (NBC/ESPN payouts).

Reactions: 4-4-3
Tell me you’re not serious. I can’t speak for Miami, but Penn State has had every one of their games televised for at least the last 20 years. Maybe 30. I know, because I have all our wins on video tape (I usually tape over the losses) 🙂.

The other cool thing about joining the Big Ten was that when we were Independent, it was National Championship or bust. After one loss, our season was basically done (although we DID win the National Championship in 1982 with one loss).

When we joined the Big Ten, even if we had a bad early season loss, we were still in the hunt for the Rose Bowl when that actually meant something. Made the season EXPONENTIALLY more exciting because the season wasn’t based on politics anymore (where you were ranked in the polls). It ended on you having the best record in the Big Ten, and then winning the Rose Bowl on the field.

We did get burned in 1994 when we got locked into playing Oregon in the Rose Bowl instead of Nebraska for the National Championship. But then again, we were used to that after getting burned as an Independent in 1968, 1969, and 1973.

All in all, joining the Big Ten was the best move we ever made. Both financially and academically by way of our participation in the Big Ten Academic Alliance (the old CIC).

Whatever Notre Dame does is up to them. You know the door is always open. It’s just crazy to think your afternoon game at Home next year against USC will probably be the NBC lead in game to someone like Rutgers or Maryland if either one of them end up being any good. And they will be raking in over $100 million while you are still stuck somewhere in the neighborhood of $32 million (NBC/ESPN payouts).
A lot of bug 10 network fans, espn 2, fsi games. If that's what you mean by every game, then yeah

You could still lose early mid or late as an independent and play in any major bowl game.

You got burned in 94 because you made a bad move. Those other years you didn't get burned, your schedules were a joke

The mere thought of Notre Dame aligning itself with Big 10 Football gives me nausea.

Reactions: Golson5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT