ADVERTISEMENT

ND joins a conference, what’s the worst thing that would happen??

Tell me you’re not serious. I can’t speak for Miami, but Penn State has had every one of their games televised for at least the last 20 years. Maybe 30. I know, because I have all our wins on video tape (I usually tape over the losses) 🙂.

The other cool thing about joining the Big Ten was that when we were Independent, it was National Championship or bust. After one loss, our season was basically done (although we DID win the National Championship in 1982 with one loss).

When we joined the Big Ten, even if we had a bad early season loss, we were still in the hunt for the Rose Bowl when that actually meant something. Made the season EXPONENTIALLY more exciting because the season wasn’t based on politics anymore (where you were ranked in the polls). It ended on you having the best record in the Big Ten, and then winning the Rose Bowl on the field.

We did get burned in 1994 when we got locked into playing Oregon in the Rose Bowl instead of Nebraska for the National Championship. But then again, we were used to that after getting burned as an Independent in 1968, 1969, and 1973.

All in all, joining the Big Ten was the best move we ever made. Both financially and academically by way of our participation in the Big Ten Academic Alliance (the old CIC).

Whatever Notre Dame does is up to them. You know the door is always open. It’s just crazy to think your afternoon game at Home next year against USC will probably be the NBC lead in game to someone like Rutgers or Maryland if either one of them end up being any good. And they will be raking in over $100 million while you are still stuck somewhere in the neighborhood of $32 million (NBC/ESPN payouts).
Since you joined the big10, NW and MSU have as many championships as you do, and even Wisky has more. OSU and Mich have dominated. Your average finish is 4th or 5th. Your winning percentage is under .400 for Mich, around .300 for OSU, you are under .500 against Nebraska (and they have also sucked since joining).

yes, you needed the money so you joined. But your brand has declined some.

Reactions: Golson5
Tell me you’re not serious. I can’t speak for Miami, but Penn State has had every one of their games televised for at least the last 20 years. Maybe 30. I know, because I have all our wins on video tape (I usually tape over the losses) 🙂.

The other cool thing about joining the Big Ten was that when we were Independent, it was National Championship or bust. After one loss, our season was basically done (although we DID win the National Championship in 1982 with one loss).

When we joined the Big Ten, even if we had a bad early season loss, we were still in the hunt for the Rose Bowl when that actually meant something. Made the season EXPONENTIALLY more exciting because the season wasn’t based on politics anymore (where you were ranked in the polls). It ended on you having the best record in the Big Ten, and then winning the Rose Bowl on the field.

We did get burned in 1994 when we got locked into playing Oregon in the Rose Bowl instead of Nebraska for the National Championship. But then again, we were used to that after getting burned as an Independent in 1968, 1969, and 1973.

All in all, joining the Big Ten was the best move we ever made. Both financially and academically by way of our participation in the Big Ten Academic Alliance (the old CIC).

Whatever Notre Dame does is up to them. You know the door is always open. It’s just crazy to think your afternoon game at Home next year against USC will probably be the NBC lead in game to someone like Rutgers or Maryland if either one of them end up being any good. And they will be raking in over $100 million while you are still stuck somewhere in the neighborhood of $32 million (NBC/ESPN payouts).
It's all about the playoffs now. The rose, orange, sugar, and fiesta have lost their allure since kids who are likely to get drafted to holding out now.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
I would love to see ND play a better schedule then. This is three years in a row now that ND plays a trash home schedule.
I hear what you're saying, but with schedules being made 20 years in advance it's impossible to know what your schedule will look like. Hey for all we know in 3 years ND will have a very tough schedule.

Actually, although it hasn’t been officially announced yet, it appears your “contract with NBC” has either been drastically affected to where you will be locked out of any night games at home beginning in 2023, or, Swarbrick has already given a “silent verbal” to NBC that you will be joining the Big Ten.

Indications are that Kevin Warren has negotiated an exclusive 7:30 PM window with NBC to televise Big Ten Games ONLY in that time slot beginning next year. Of course if Notre Dame is a Big Ten member, that is totally irrelevant. But if they are Independent, they will be locked out of being able to play a Home game at night.

There are some other things in that contract that may negatively affect Notre Dame wrt NBC programming unless Notre Dame is a full time Big Ten member. But since the details haven’t been publicly announced yet, and the possibility that any negatives become totally irrelevant if Notre Dame does in fact become a member, I won’t get into those right now.

In short, the tea leaves seem to indicate that if you stay with NBC, you will be joining the Big Ten.
Pretty sure NBC wouldn't handcuff itself to Warren's demands. So you're telling me that if ND is playing USC or Clemson and it's a top 10 match up, NBC will keep ND at their 2:30 slot and play Nebraska v. Northwestern at 7:30 instead? Ha! Good one.

Last edited:
It's all about the playoffs now. The rose, orange, sugar, and fiesta have lost their allure since kids who are likely to get drafted to holding out now.
Lost their allure? 95,000 attended the Utah-Ohio State Rose Bowl last season, and both teams traveled really far.

Lost their allure? 95,000 attended the Utah-Ohio State Rose Bowl last season, and both teams traveled really far.
Fair point, but you have to take a closer look. OSU still had players holding out and the crowd was nearly 80% Utah fans. Had it been a playoff game I doubt there would be any OSU players holding out and there would certainly be more OSU fans. The game mattered way more to the smaller school and its fans.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
If my initial post didn't explain what I meant by identity, then I dunno what else to tell you. Others here have emulated what I'm saying.

Eh. Fans and alumni have been claiming ND has "lost its identity" for at least since the 1960's. Or is in imminent danger of losing its identity.

It is the all-purpose, never ending kvetch.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Since you joined the big10, NW and MSU have as many championships as you do, and even Wisky has more. OSU and Mich have dominated. Your average finish is 4th or 5th. Your winning percentage is under .400 for Mich, around .300 for OSU, you are under .500 against Nebraska (and they have also sucked since joining).

yes, you needed the money so you joined. But your brand has declined some.
Adding to this. Nobody cares about conference championships. Can anyone here name the PAC 12 championship winner of 2017? I remember some OSU players got in trouble for trying to sell their conference championship gear. Shows how little it meant to them.

Eh. Fans and alumni have been claiming ND has "lost its identity" for at least since the 1960's. Or is in imminent danger of losing its identity.

It is the all-purpose, never ending kvetch.
Fair point. I think it is a constant never ending battle. How does ND maintain its status quo as the proud unique University that it is, while also adjusting to the times? It's tough, but I like how ND has tried to strike a balance in doing that in recent years and now.

Adding to this. Nobody cares about conference championships. Can anyone here name the PAC 12 championship winner of 2017? I remember some OSU players got in trouble for trying to sell their conference championship gear. Shows how little it meant to them.

Without looking it up, most here can't name the NC or Heisman winner from a random year either.

College kids do dumb things. I would guess some ND players have also sold keepsakes throughout the years.

ND is under contract until 25...

Playoff expansion is coming...

At present there is 4 playoff spots and ND is ALWAYS factored in as it's own conference type thing. Nobody else has EVER enjoyed such respect. Major bowls...lower bowls always have that little ND asterisk about their tie in participants.
In other words they are WANTED by eneryone.

Why?
The draw.

With playoffs expanding (it's coming)
ND will always be welcome in the post season. No no...extremely sought after is more accurate

At present there is 4 playoff spots and ND is ALWAYS factored in as it's own conference type thing. Nobody else has EVER enjoyed such respect. Major bowls...lower bowls always have that little ND asterisk about their tie in participants.

Why?
The draw.

ND will always be welcome in the post season. No no...extremely sought after is more accurate
Yep. And the expansion of Big 10 and SEC only increases the likelihood of playoffs expanding.

I know ND still has a ways to go with contending but I think we can agree they're closer to contending than further away. With that said, the biggest irk I had scheduling wise is that ND couldn't play that 13th game or play during conference championship week. I feel the layoff of waiting 5-6 weeks hurts ND and may have impacted the poor postseason performances. However, if the "first round" of playoffs were to happen in mid-December, the layoff concerns would hopefully be mitigated.

No that's a silly response. No team is top 5 each season. That was just a weird comment.

I have heard them say it as I live in Pa. Now they are pro Big ten pom pom wavers. But when you bring up to them how yes they have made more money by joining the Big but they have become a much lesser football program they either get quiet, start stumbling for an answer or dont have a rebuttal.

It's also funny talking to the younger fans who are typical fans who say ND has to join a conference blah blah blah. Then you bring up to them that they were an independent before joining the Big they are surprised.

Psu needed the money in the Big, we dont. Why we would try to be like other programs is beyond me when we dont have to. Why some ND fans would want to join that conference is also beyond me
Well, we both agree ND will only join a conference if it effect’s their CFP chances.

Where we differ:

I say, if ND is “forced” to join a conference, it will not hurt ND football at all. It will only effect “tradition”.

Fair point, but you have to take a closer look. OSU still had players holding out and the crowd was nearly 80% Utah fans. Had it been a playoff game I doubt there would be any OSU players holding out and there would certainly be more OSU fans. The game mattered way more to the smaller school and its fans.
Your spin that 75,000 fans were Utah simply isn’t correct.

Winning an SEC or PAC 12 title means a heck of a lot to the players, coaches, and fans.

ND still CAN be a national brand.

ND CAN get a better TV contract.

ND will NEVER be just another regional school.

ND might lose "freedom and uniqueness" ONLY TO GAIN A REALISTIC FUTURE.

Times change.

Thats what Miami used to say. The Big east will be great for us.

There is nothing like having a contract with a broadcaster that makes conferences play you. 40m will be erased. There is nothing to gain honestly but all to lose.

Winning an SEC or PAC 12 title means a heck of a lot to the players, coaches, and fans.
You could be right, but I think it depends on what program, the state of the program, the competitiveness of the conference and what the expectations are. I imagine Utah winning the Pac 12 with just a handful of 4 star players means a lot more to them, than it does for Ohio State beating Wisconsin to win the Big 10 for example.

A lot of bug 10 network fans, espn 2, fsi games. If that's what you mean by every game, then yeah

You could still lose early mid or late as an independent and play in any major bowl game.

You got burned in 94 because you made a bad move. Those other years you didn't get burned, your schedules were a joke

Come on.

Heck. You guys had a game on Peacock last year and USA Network the year before. I can’t remember the last time we were on USA. Maybe the late 80s when it was still trying to compete with ESPN? And we never had a game that was limited to basically streaming only, although I know Apple and Amazon have been dying to pick up a piece of our new contract.

Ya, I know. We won most of our Bowl Games and beat all the big boys. In fact, I think Joe was the only coach to ever win all the major Bowls when they were major Bowls. Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, and Fiesta. But you know as well as I do that if you’re an Independent, the only thing that really means anything is a National Championship.

When you’re relying on votes, it’s all politics. The Rose Bowl wasn’t politics. It was on the field performance. That’s what made it so cool. Then players started to opt out, and because of the CFP, you hardly ever got the two Champions matching up. It became meaningless.

I know Kevin Warren wants the Big Ten Champion to be an automatic qualifier for the CFP under the new contract. Right now, the CFP is nothing more than a beauty contest invitational that has pretty much alienated everyone west of the Rocky Mountains.

Why rely on a bunch of voters to decide your season? That’s what we have right now and it sucks. It’s like going back to being an Independent where you have no control of your own destiny and you have to hammer the other guy like a baby seal to get noticed.

if Notre Dame joined a Conference, especially the Big Ten, I think that would grease the path for Conference Champions getting an automatic bid to what would then be a legitimate Playoff. It would get rid of the politics, and make the season exponentially more exciting.

Come on.

Heck. You guys had a game on Peacock last year and USA Network the year before. I can’t remember the last time we were on USA. Maybe the late 80s when it was still trying to compete with ESPN? And we never had a game that was limited to basically streaming only, although I know Apple and Amazon have been dying to pick up a piece of our new contract.

Ya, I know. We won most of our Bowl Games and beat all the big boys. In fact, I think Joe was the only coach to ever win all the major Bowls when they were major Bowls. Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, and Fiesta. But you know as well as I do that if you’re an Independent, the only thing that really means anything is a National Championship.

When you’re relying on votes, it’s all politics. The Rose Bowl wasn’t politics. It was on the field performance. That’s what made it so cool. Then players started to opt out, and because of the CFP, you hardly ever got the two Champions matching up. It became meaningless.

I know Kevin Warren wants the Big Ten Champion to be an automatic qualifier for the CFP under the new contract. Right now, the CFP is nothing more than a beauty contest invitational that has pretty much alienated everyone west of the Rocky Mountains.

Why rely on a bunch of voters to decide your season? That’s what we have right now and it sucks. It’s like going back to being an Independent where you have no control of your own destiny and you have to hammer the other guy like a baby seal to get noticed.

if Notre Dame joined a Conference, especially the Big Ten, I think that would grease the path for Conference Champions getting an automatic bid to what would then be a legitimate Playoff. It would get rid of the politics, and make the season exponentially more exciting.
11 of our games are on big boy tv. We have 1 acc network gm a year. Then we chose to do peacock because NBC wants to build that brand

Psu is always on a big 10 network, espn2, FS1

We aren't the same here

I dont think conf champions should get an automatic bid. I think that is stupid.

Why?
The draw.

Your 2025 Contract with NBC isn’t the problem. With NBC getting a slice of the Big Ten Contract, you could get a gargantuan raise as early as next year.

Your problem is your 2036 ACC GOR and, to a lesser extent, your exit fee. Those could be worked with.

Multiple sites report Utes fans greatly outnumbered OSU fans.

The Oregon-Wisconsin Rose Bowl two seasons ago was a 95,000 sellout. All Rose Bowls are sellouts.

If USC plays Penn State in a Rose Bowl it’s a sellout.

It doesn’t matter who plays.

Last edited:
You could be right, but I think it depends on what program, the state of the program, the competitiveness of the conference and what the expectations are. I imagine Utah winning the Pac 12 with just a handful of 4 star players means a lot more to them, than it does for Ohio State beating Wisconsin to win the Big 10 for example.
Ask Michigan fans if winning the Big 10 title last season meant something to them.

Your 2025 Contract with NBC isn’t the problem. With NBC getting a slice of the Big Ten Contract, you could get a gargantuan raise as early as next year.

Your problem is your 2036 ACC GOR and, to a lesser extent, your exit fee. Those could be worked with.
FYI...

To a previous post of yours...

Penn State was always nationally televised.

You know when? When they were independent under Joe Pa and played very tough regular season schedules.

80's Oklahoma
80's Alabama
Nebraska as well
70's/80's PSU...
80's Miami
70's early 80's Pitt
Holtz Irish mid 80's to mid 90's

Those were some tough ass schedules thus were on TV !!!

Teams weren't pussified to play tough teams. They wanted the challenge.

Now it's simply a matter of trendy luck.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
11 of our games are on big boy tv. We have 1 acc network gm a year. Then we chose to do peacock because NBC wants to build that brand

Psu is always on a big 10 network, espn2, FS1

We aren't the same here

I dont think conf champions should get an automatic bid. I think that is stupid.

Ahhh, have you ever heard of ABC or Big Boy FOX??? We had 6 games on ABC last year and 2 on Big Boy FOX. We had 2 on BTN and 2 on FS1.

I don’t think you’ll have any trouble being televised if you’re in the Big Ten. 🙂 Plus, you’ll have continuous post game and pre game coverage all week long on BTN.

Right now, the only way we know you guys even exist outside of Saturdays during the football season Is during hockey season when you get BTN coverage. You get basically no coverage during the week on any National Network from Sunday to Friday. Rutgers and Northwestern get more coverage than you guys do. That would change.

As for the CFP, if you want to have to expose your players to injury just so you you can pound someone 60-0 to impress a bunch of biased voters, that’s your privilege. Me??? I hate the gymnastics/figure skating aspect of picking a Champion. Let teams win their way to the Championship on the field. I’d rather be a pool shark like Joe was, win a game 20-10, preserve my players, and show the next team I play as little as possible.

I’d also like to know that if I’m the best team in the Country at the END of the year, I’m not going to get screwed by a bunch of SEC leaning voters for a loss I sustained in early September.

Ahhh, have you ever heard of ABC or Big Boy FOX??? We had 6 games on ABC last year and 2 on Big Boy FOX. We had 2 on BTN and 2 on FS1.

I don’t think you’ll have any trouble being televised if you’re in the Big Ten. 🙂 Plus, you’ll have continuous post game and pre game coverage all week long on BTN.

Right now, the only way we know you guys even exist outside of Saturdays during the football season Is during hockey season when you get BTN coverage. You get basically no coverage during the week on any National Network from Sunday to Friday. Rutgers and Northwestern get more coverage than you guys do. That would change.

As for the CFP, if you want to have to expose your players to injury just so you you can pound someone 60-0 to impress a bunch of biased voters, that’s your privilege. Me??? I hate the gymnastics/figure skating aspect of picking a Champion. Let teams win their way to the Championship on the field. I’d rather be a pool shark like Joe was, win a game 20-10, preserve my players, and show the next team I play as little as possible.

I’d also like to know that if I’m the best team in the Country at the END of the year, I’m not going to get screwed by a bunch of SEC leaning voters for a loss I sustained in early September.
Isn’t one of your football coaches in jail for molesting a young boy?

So…since ‘you guys don’t know we exist outside of Saturdays’….why is the Big10…and you…so interested in us joining the conference?

lmfao…

So that's 4 games you didn't get the national games. We have 1 or 2 every year

So if a team wins a conference championship with 3 or 4 losses should we put them in the playoff. Hell no. That's just stupid.

Pick the best teams. Who cares who wins the conf championship. Just put the best teams in the playoff

Isn’t one of your football coaches in jail for molesting a young boy?

Nope. All are present and accounted for.

If you next question is about our Priest, yes, we did get a new Priest at the beginning of August. So far, so good.

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s get back to your TV contract and how the next three years makes absolutely no sense wrt your relationship with NBC.

Why in the world would Jack Swarbrick agree to basically pay his future Big Ten opponents $210,000,000 million dollars over the next three years so that he could be their undercard for their 7:30 Big Ten football game on NBC???

Notre Dame not only loses all that money between 2023 and 2025, but has to use their 2:30 time slot to build up and promote future opponents like Purdue, Ohio State, and USC….with basically no reciprocation.

By the time you play Purdue in 2026, you will have handed them over $210,000,000 million dollars in the prior three years to buy players and revenue share. WTF??????

Unless Jack has given Kevin Warren and NBC a “silent verbal” that Notre Dame will be football playing members of the Big Ten as soon as next year, this deal makes absolutely no sense for Notre Dame.

I know Notre Dame represents benevolence, pride, and respect for their opponents. And the Big Ten will GLADLY accept your weekly 2:30 PM continuous, free endorsements. But this deal, if it plays out as is now rumored, is just bat dung crazy.

Something’s up folks.

Nope. All are present and accounted for.

If you next question is about our Priest, yes, we did get a new Priest at the beginning of August. So far, so good.

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s get back to your TV contract and how the next three years makes absolutely no sense wrt your relationship with NBC.

Why in the world would Jack Swarbrick agree to basically pay his future Big Ten opponents $210,000,000 million dollars over the next three years so that he could be their undercard for their 7:30 Big Ten football game on NBC???

Notre Dame not only loses all that money between 2023 and 2025, but has to use their 2:30 time slot to build up and promote future opponents like Purdue, Ohio State, and USC….with basically no reciprocation.

By the time you play Purdue in 2026, you will have handed them over $210,000,000 million dollars in the prior three years to buy players and revenue share. WTF??????

Unless Jack has given Kevin Warren and NBC a “silent verbal” that Notre Dame will be football playing members of the Big Ten as soon as next year, this deal makes absolutely no sense for Notre Dame.

I know Notre Dame represents benevolence, pride, and respect for their opponents. And the Big Ten will GLADLY accept your weekly 2:30 PM continuous, free endorsements. But this deal, if it plays out as is now rumored, is just bat dung crazy.

Something’s up folks.
The Sandusky factor.

Obsess about your own football program.

Obsess about your own football program.

Well, I certainly agree with you that my last seven paragraphs will explain how this new NBC Big Ten contract will help our “own football program”, Penn State. However, I would term it more satisfaction than “obsession”. It only makes us exponentially richer at your expense.

My question is…..how does it help yours……unless??? 🙂

Well, I certainly agree with you that my last seven paragraphs will explain how this new NBC Big Ten contract will help our “own football program”, Penn State. However, I would term it more satisfaction than “obsession”. It only makes us exponentially richer at your expense.

Per Rivals, why is Notre Dame out recruiting Penn State? And significantly.

I have zero motivation to be on a Penn State Football Forum. Again. Zero. Why are you here?

Why do some Ohio State and Penn State Football fans obsess about Notre Dame Football, to the point they spend a significant amount of time in a Notre Dame Football Forum?

Your own team Penn State needs a lot of that, help

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT