ADVERTISEMENT

2024/2025 12 Team College Football Playoff

1Redrum

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Oct 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Now that Michigan has won the final 4 team playoff I decided to read up on the rules for next year. ND with it's independence is at a significant disadvantage moving forward due to the inability to be a top 4 team and receive a bye.

ND could go 12 - 0 next year or any year and still have to play an extra game compared to 4 conference championship winners who could in theory have multiple losses. Yes this is the cost of independence but I see this being a realistic scenario in the next couple of years where ND would be forced to say play Ohio State or Alabama in a playoff game while a two loss TCU in theory sits at home......Oh joy!

Reactions: Kelso86
Now that Michigan has won the final 4 team playoff I decided to read up on the rules for next year. ND with it's independence is at a significant disadvantage moving forward due to the inability to be a top 4 team and receive a bye.

ND could go 12 - 0 next year or any year and still have to play an extra game compared to 4 conference championship winners who could in theory have multiple losses. Yes this is the cost of independence but I see this being a realistic scenario in the next couple of years where ND would be forced to say play Ohio State or Alabama in a playoff game while a two loss TCU in theory sits at home......Oh joy!
Beats playing nine annual games in the Big 10.

Reactions: 1Redrum

And God forbid the QB getting hurt

Nope. Conference champs play 13 games.

Reactions: NDinNJ

If somehow we are 12-0 and a top team in the country, it can be argued that the 5 seed is one of the best seeds to get.

With how the format is set up, the 5 seed would have a home game against the 12 seed, which most likely would be the mid major that gets invited (think Liberty this year).

Then, you’d play the 4 seed, which is the worst of the conference champs (BIG 10, SEC, ACC & Big 12). This year, that would’ve been Oklahoma St for the Big 12.

Someone like the 2 seed plays the winner of 7 vs 10 in the 2nd round, which would have a good chance being a top 3 BIG 10 or SEC school. With realignment, playing the ACC or BIG 12 champ in the 2nd round wouldn’t be that bad…

Reactions: NDinNJ and Kelso86
If somehow we are 12-0 and a top team in the country, it can be argued that the 5 seed is one of the best seeds to get.

With how the format is set up, the 5 seed would have a home game against the 12 seed, which most likely would be the mid major that gets invited (think Liberty this year).

Then, you’d play the 4 seed, which is the worst of the conference champs (BIG 10, SEC, ACC & Big 12). This year, that would’ve been Oklahoma St for the Big 12.

Someone like the 2 seed plays the winner of 7 vs 10 in the 2nd round, which would have a good chance being a top 3 BIG 10 or SEC school. With realignment, playing the ACC or BIG 12 champ wouldn’t be that bad…
Paralysis of Analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT