ADVERTISEMENT

Some here love ND in the ACC

Dec 29, 2005
vs other conferences. I’m curious how you feel about the ACC forcing its partner bowls to snub the Irish in favor of other ACC members.

That’s apparently why the Sun Bowl Committee was completely caught off guard that ND would be one of two teams playing in their bowl.

I still think it’s highly likely ND will be forced into a conference at some point. If that happens, I hope ND remembers this.

ND brings a lot to the league with much larger tv ratings, stadium ticket sales, and revenue and this is the way they are rewarded? The ACC can take a short walk off of a tall bridge.

vs other conferences. I’m curious how you feel about the ACC forcing its partner bowls to snub the Irish in favor of other ACC members.

That’s apparently why the Sun Bowl Committee was completely caught off guard that ND would be one of two teams playing in their bowl.

I still think it’s highly likely ND will be forced into a conference at some point. If that happens, I hope ND remembers this.

ND brings a lot to the league with much larger tv ratings, stadium ticket sales, and revenue and this is the way they are rewarded? The ACC can take a short walk off of a tall bridge.
If Notre Dame wants full conference benefits, it should be a full conference member. I don't see what your point is.

But I do agree with you that ND will be in a conference at some point. It will be the North Conference, which is what the Big 25 will become, and the other conference will be the South Conference, which the SEC 25 will become. Just surprised it hasn't happened yet.

THey can do that?

They drew names out a hat.

Who cares.

Quite honestly there are far too many bowl games...

Oh...

For the last 25 years.

Now with all the ignorance of leaving your team high and dry hoping you MIGHT get drafted...

It's even worse.

ND isn't joining a conference.

They are a conference.

Nobody...and I mean nobody has the power and clout that ND has.

Until bowl games don't want ND...they will keep on keeping on as an Independent!

In case you didn't know.. the playoff will be 12 teams next year.

A few years after that it will be 16 or more.

ND isn't joining anything but a group that hates the NIL.

Conference?

No thanks!!

Reactions: G_a_r_y and NDinNJ
They drew names out a hat.

Who cares.

Quite honestly there are far too many bowl games...

Oh...

For the last 25 years.

Now with all the ignorance of leaving your team high and dry hoping you MIGHT get drafted...

It's even worse.

ND isn't joining a conference.

They are a conference.

Nobody...and I mean nobody has the power and clout that ND has.

Until bowl games don't want ND...they will keep on keeping on as an Independent!

In case you didn't know.. the playoff will be 12 teams next year.

A few years after that it will be 16 or more.

ND isn't joining anything but a group that hates the NIL.

Conference?

No thanks!!
Empty hubris. Notre Dame has already been partially frozen out because in order for its other teams to have a way to compete — you know, its highly ranked women's basketball, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, men's hockey, fencing, etc.... — it has been forced to become partial members of first the Big East and then the ACC. There may be space for the football team in an expanded playoff, but not if it can't schedule a season of competitive games because every other team is locked into a mega-conference slate and getting mega TV dollars.

The amount of money has become insane. The new TV deals make ND's NBC deal look like chump change, and ND would be foolish to not try to get more of the money that's out there. But it will find out that nobody else gives a rat's ass if ND wants to become a partial member of Mega Conference A or Mega Conference B when it's not needed for the current members of those mega conferences to make a boatload of money.

What's ND going to do? Take its ball and go home? Fine. Everyone else already has a ball and a nice field to play on and uniforms, too.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Empty hubris. Notre Dame has already been partially frozen out because in order for its other teams to have a way to compete — you know, its highly ranked women's basketball, men's lacrosse, men's soccer, men's hockey, fencing, etc.... — it has been forced to become partial members of first the Big East and then the ACC. There may be space for the football team in an expanded playoff, but not if it can't schedule a season of competitive games because every other team is locked into a mega-conference slate and getting mega TV dollars.

The amount of money has become insane. The new TV deals make ND's NBC deal look like chump change, and ND would be foolish to not try to get more of the money that's out there. But it will find out that nobody else gives a rat's ass if ND wants to become a partial member of Mega Conference A or Mega Conference B when it's not needed for the current members of those mega conferences to make a boatload of money.

What's ND going to do? Take its ball and go home? Fine. Everyone else already has a ball and a nice field to play on and uniforms, too.

Excuse the above poster----he was playing in the traffic on Rte 17 and got hit by a school bus.

Other than the New Year’s Day six and the playoffs most of the bowl games are painful to watch.

Some of the lower level bowls are the most competitive of the bunch. There seems to be at least one blowout in the CFP playoffs very year.

Some of the lower level bowls are the most competitive of the bunch. There seems to be at least one blowout in the CFP playoffs very year.
There would be less blowouts in the playoffs if it was truly the 4 best teams in the country in the playoff every year and not the conference champ of every conference.

If it was truly the best teams, at least 2 of 4 would be SEC teams every year.

Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Florida State, Oregon and Michigan have all been blown out in the CFP final. Obviously, the Committee has not been very good at picking the four best teams. How do you suggest that the "four best teams" should be selected?

Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Florida State, Oregon and Michigan have all been blown out in the CFP final. Obviously, the Committee has not been very good at picking the four best teams. How do you suggest that the "four best teams" should be selected?
Well, as I’ve said previous, most years there is one or two teams that are significantly better than the rest of the CFB field. Many years Bama and Clemson, ‘19 LSU, ‘21 & ‘22 UGA, etc. This year is an anomaly as there are so many really good top 7-8 teams.

I think it should be heavily computer/formula based and definitely not by win-loss record (where you have teams in two separate conferences playing wildly varying levels of competition).

Reactions: notredamerises23
There would be less blowouts in the playoffs if it was truly the 4 best teams in the country in the playoff every year and not the conference champ of every conference.

The SEC proposed doing away with the automatic qualifier this past offseason and I believe the ACC, PAC12, and either B1G, or Big12 voted against it.

Sheep...You're just one of the flock

Stop...ND did the ACC thing for one reason. A place for its men's basketball.

Guess what...they regret that now.
They won't get out the basement being in that conference.
Remember Brey's success in the ACC was with kids he recruited whilst a big east member.

When they all left its been basement city.

Hockey?
B10

WBB?
Play anywhere ...
See UCONN for reference

The rest? Who cares. They'll have places to play and let's face it...the other sports are hallmark stories.
They don't move any needle.

ND does NOT need a conference and they will have no trouble getting games.

Good day

Get help.

Stop...ND did the ACC thing for one reason. A place for its men's basketball.

Guess what...they regret that now.
They won't get out the basement being in that conference.
Remember Brey's success in the ACC was with kids he recruited whilst a big east member.

When they all left its been basement city.

Hockey?
B10

WBB?
Play anywhere ...
See UCONN for reference

The rest? Who cares. They'll have places to play and let's face it...the other sports are hallmark stories.
They don't move any needle.

ND does NOT need a conference and they will have no trouble getting games.

Good day
Notre Dame will be in the conference formerly known as the big ten sooner rather than later. That's going to happen. And it needs to happen.

Reactions: chaseball
Notre Dame will be in the conference formerly known as the big ten sooner rather than later. That's going to happen. And it needs to happen.
We disagree here.

I simply do see Notre Dame ever aligning itself with a conference that collectively despises Notre Dame, especially Michigan and Ohio St.

And frankly, I am surprised you would like to see 9 annual Big 10 games each and every season.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbonesays
We disagree here.

I simply do see Notre Dame ever aligning itself with a conference that collectively despises Notre Dame, especially Michigan and Ohio St.

And frankly, I am surprised you would like to see 9 annual Big 10 games each and every season.
That assumes it's still the Big 10, which it hasn't been for a long time. I think what some of us see coming is a couple of mega conferences, based on the Big 10 in the north and the SEC in the south. They could have 30-40 teams apiece, which could be divided into any number of divisions. We're already paying players, so why not mimic the NFL and expand the season to 16 games? It's all about the money, not whether you or I want Notre Dame to be independent.

But, then we haven't been truly independent in years, and I don't know how so many of you guys can say that when we play six ACC games a season. And our favored status for bowls has been reduced with each new alignment and update.

We disagree here.

The current/future conference formerly known as the big ten will look nothing like the traditional Notre Dame hating big ten. I'm with you on Michigan's past goal to destroy Notre Dame football.

But this is a whole different conference now. Southern Cal, our true rival, is joining next year. As are UCLA, Washington, and Oregon. Gone are the excuses of " we'll be regionalized if we join the big ten." We won't be because we'll be traveling all over the country. Don't be surprised if they nab North Carolina and Duke in the future also, among others. We could still schedule an SMU to get down to Texas, or an Arizona/Arizona St/Colorado to get out to the southwest.

We can't stay with the ACC as it is dying. It's just a matter of time. And there are going to be very few teams that will want to schedule ND out of conference going forward in these super conferences. Why would they play us? Michigan just proved you can play a high school schedule(while cheating) and make the playoffs. These teams will be playing ten conference games per year.

Imagine our schedule as this: (I won't even put home or away)

Michigan
Penn St
Oregon
Iowa
Navy(out of conference)
Maryland
Nebraska
Southern Cal
Wisconsin
Illinois
SMU(out of conference)
Minnesota

I think few here understand that the new playoff format pretty much ENDS any chance ND could be forced into a conference.
IF you cannot qualify for a 12 team playoff you are mediocre and don't deserve it.

Reactions: tbonesays
I think few here understand that the new playoff format pretty much ENDS any chance ND could be forced into a conference.
IF you cannot qualify for a 12 team playoff you are mediocre and don't deserve it.
I think initially that is correct, but I think long term, ND is being painted into a corner.

That assumes it's still the Big 10, which it hasn't been for a long time. I think what some of us see coming is a couple of mega conferences, based on the Big 10 in the north and the SEC in the south. They could have 30-40 teams apiece, which could be divided into any number of divisions. We're already paying players, so why not mimic the NFL and expand the season to 16 games? It's all about the money, not whether you or I want Notre Dame to be independent.

But, then we haven't been truly independent in years, and I don't know how so many of you guys can say that when we play six ACC games a season. And our favored status for bowls has been reduced with each new alignment and update.

This is not accurate. We don't play six ACC games a season. We play an average of five games against ACC teams a season. In 2023, we played 5 ACC teams. in 2022, we played 4 ACC teams.
Why anybody thinks turning CFB into the NFL 2.0 is beyond me. The NFL already exists for professional athletes. Why is there a need for a second pro league? Obviously, the very best athletes make NFL teams. Frequently, some of the top players in the college game are not highly drafted. The more that the college game disassociates itself from the schools, the more tenuous connection there is between the players and the schools.

Reactions: Classic Irish
The current/future conference formerly known as the big ten will look nothing like the traditional Notre Dame hating big ten. I'm with you on Michigan's past goal to destroy Notre Dame football.

But this is a whole different conference now. Southern Cal, our true rival, is joining next year. As are UCLA, Washington, and Oregon. Gone are the excuses of " we'll be regionalized if we join the big ten." We won't be because we'll be traveling all over the country. Don't be surprised if they nab North Carolina and Duke in the future also, among others. We could still schedule an SMU to get down to Texas, or an Arizona/Arizona St/Colorado to get out to the southwest.

We can't stay with the ACC as it is dying. It's just a matter of time. And there are going to be very few teams that will want to schedule ND out of conference going forward in these super conferences. Why would they play us? Michigan just proved you can play a high school schedule(while cheating) and make the playoffs. These teams will be playing ten conference games per year.

Imagine our schedule as this: (I won't even put home or away)

Michigan
Penn St
Oregon
Iowa
Navy(out of conference)
Maryland
Nebraska
Southern Cal
Wisconsin
Illinois
SMU(out of conference)
Minnesota

No Big 10 school plays a schedule such as this right now. They all play tomato cans, e.g., Michigan played East Carolina, UNLV and Bowling Green this year. There is no reason to believe that any school would play a schedule such as you propose.

Reactions: Classic Irish
This is not accurate. We don't play six ACC games a season. We play an average of five games against ACC teams a season. In 2023, we played 5 ACC teams. in 2022, we played 4 ACC teams.
Why anybody thinks turning CFB into the NFL 2.0 is beyond me. The NFL already exists for professional athletes. Why is there a need for a second pro league? Obviously, the very best athletes make NFL teams. Frequently, some of the top players in the college game are not highly drafted. The more that the college game disassociates itself from the schools, the more tenuous connection there is between the players and the schools.
I should have made it more clear, I'm not for the professionalization of college sports at all. I was just trying to follow what I see is the line of reasoning.

I'll cop to being wrong about the number of ACC teams we play, but I think in a matter of very few years, the ACC could go the way of the PAC 12.

Nor am I calling for ND to join a conference. I just believe that in a matter of time it's not going to have a choice. Who knows, ND might go the way of the University of Chicago and say to hell with it.

I should have made it more clear, I'm not for the professionalization of college sports at all. I was just trying to follow what I see is the line of reasoning.

I'll cop to being wrong about the number of ACC teams we play, but I think in a matter of very few years, the ACC could go the way of the PAC 12.

Nor am I calling for ND to join a conference. I just believe that in a matter of time it's not going to have a choice. Who knows, ND might go the way of the University of Chicago and say to hell with it.
Understood. Every day, I grow more and more disenchanted with the college game. I wonder if the Ivy League schools didn't have the right idea when they deemphasized football back in the 1950's.
I attended every ND home game for the better part of three decades. Now, I haven't been to a home game since 2019, and I don't know what would make me go back. It's all very discouraging.

No Big 10 school plays a schedule such as this right now. They all play tomato cans, e.g., Michigan played East Carolina, UNLV and Bowling Green this year. There is no reason to believe that any school would play a schedule such as you propose.
Look at UM’s schedule next year, that is why I don’t think Harbaugh will return. It’s as brutal a schedule you will see anywhere in CFB.

UM loses so many guys this year too, it could be 7-5 next year.

Sorry champ but ND isn't interested in joining a conference and is doing quite well for itself.
There is very little trouble finding teams that want to play them.
Independence is fitting for the University and is a great asset to them!

• Haha
Reactions: TPirish
agreed this conference has done Dickie McGeezaks for Notre Dame's football program. That agreement has turned out to be total and complete trash for ND.
Thanks. I am more convinced as ever that the ACC has been good for ND! 😎

• Haha
Reactions: chaseball
They won’t be playing schedules like that next year. Reading comprehension is underrated. It’s a whole different conference next year.

agreed this conference has done Dickie McGeezaks for Notre Dame's football program. That agreement has turned out to be total and complete trash for ND.

Thanks. I am more convinced as ever that the ACC has been good for ND! 😎
Check the W-L column since it was announced in 2012. Do you think that was all Brian Kelly?

I think initially that is correct, but I think long term, ND is being painted into a corner.
Why?
ND will be able to get sufficient strength of schedule that as long as they win 10 games they are in.

Why?
ND will be able to get sufficient strength of schedule that as long as they win 10 games they are in.
What I see happening is mega conferences with divisions feeding their top teams to the playoffs much like the NFL, with division winners and wild card teams. My fear is ND becoming isolated and left out. And I think that because times have changed and there is so much money involved that nobody will care if ND is in or out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT