ADVERTISEMENT

ND and the new ACC Network, and what it means to you

northvanole

I've posted how many times?
May 2, 2003
I posted a few points inside a thread regarding the new network, but I want to make sure others see it. The ACC Network kicks off in late August 2019 (with GT at Clemson) and ND is a completely equal partner in the revenue it creates. Although the NBC home games are not part of it, all ND away football games at an ACC field are available for selection. This year, the ND at Duke game is only available on the new ACCN. One would assume that there will be at least one ND football away game on the ACCN every year.

But for all other sports, expect to see several ND mens and women's basketball games and mens baseball games available only on the new network, as well as non-revenue sports that is usually currently found on WatchESPN. Many fans are assuming that if they have access to WatchESPN, they are unaffected for these games on the digital platform. That is not correct. Following how the SEC Network was organized in 2014, all access to all ACC sports digital content is available only to "authorized subscribers" of the new ACCN starting in August of this year. If your cable or satellite provider does not offer the new channel, you will have no ability to watch any games on any device. You will not be able to purchase any game on a web stream service. The games will not be on ESPN+. There is nothing like "HBONOW" that can be accessed. This is obviously done to encourage fans to call their provider and demand that the channel be provided. Like the SEC, there is no "al a carte" pricing; the new channel can only be offered as. a bundle with other ESPN channels. This of course is what is behind the intense negotiations between ESPN and the providers.

As of now, DirecTV, PlayStation, FIOS and HuluLive are the biggest providers that will offer the new channel. However, large providers such as DishTV, Comcast, Charter and Spectrum have not signed up (yet). The Big Ten struggled when it launched in 2007. The SEC started out on fire in 2014, but most of the big providers did not sign up until two weeks before the launch.

Just a heads up.

Forgot to mention that the ACC will have more conference basketball games before Christmas than every before. UNC opens up against ND and it will be available only on the new ACC Network.

Last edited:
I see Hearst Publishing (!?) owns 20% of it. Will we get to see BK interviewed by Patty?

Reactions: Kelso86
It seems logical that anything positive the ACC does as a whole will benefit the individual member schools in a lot of different ways..........i.e. financially, national and international recognition, prestige, media coverage, academics and recruiting.

Well it sucks being here in Canada as games will likely either be not available at all or part of some extensive College Package which will cost big $$

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT