ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN 150, ND and the next decade

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
I watched the show, interesting take on Hesburgh as the down fall of ND football. Not sure it’s accurate but it did make me think about ND for our future fans, in 50 years.

What made Nd was beyond W/L, it was the expansion of radio, TV, playing across the country and gaining Irish and Catholic fans. Those fans generated top prospects from catholic schools to ND.

Fast forward, conferences with TV contracts, state schools that attract many more fans, a dying catholic highschool system, less people following religion and a team that has not won a Natty in a full generation of fans.

Are we, on this board, quickly becoming the last rabid ND fans?

If we where a company, are we the next sears, GE or Macy’s that did not change and push new bold ways to attract customers (fans)?

I love we are playing 5 games in pro-stadiums next year, I think that’s a great tactic. what else should ND do?

Do they change curriculum to adapt? Do they offer sports related degrees, do they create a system of ND high schools to drive both religion and excellent.

Do we sit back and let it happen and Watch no sellouts becomes common, greatness become history and our fan base become just the students that go there. Does ND just 30 years ago not sell out a bowl game? It was half empty.

I guess my questions to the board are does ND without a strategic plan to maintain a national fan base become the next Stanford or Northwestern? And....what would you recommend.

I watched the show, interesting take on Hesburgh as the down fall of ND football. Not sure it’s accurate but it did make me think about ND for our future fans, in 50 years.

What made Nd was beyond W/L, it was the expansion of radio, TV, playing across the country and gaining Irish and Catholic fans. Those fans generated top prospects from catholic schools to ND.

Fast forward, conferences with TV contracts, state schools that attract many more fans, a dying catholic highschool system, less people following religion and a team that has not won a Natty in a full generation of fans.

Are we, on this board, quickly becoming the last rabid ND fans?

If we where a company, are we the next sears, GE or Macy’s that did not change and push new bold ways to attract customers (fans)?

I love we are playing 5 games in pro-stadiums next year, I think that’s a great tactic. what else should ND do?

Do they change curriculum to adapt? Do they offer sports related degrees, do they create a system of ND high schools to drive both religion and excellent.

Do we sit back and let it happen and Watch no sellouts becomes common, greatness become history and our fan base become just the students that go there. Does ND just 30 years ago not sell out a bowl game? It was half empty.

I guess my questions to the board are does ND without a strategic plan to maintain a national fan base become the next Stanford or Northwestern? And....what would you recommend.
We’ve won several NCs since Father Ted arrived.

It was an ESPN comment. Talked about him being the reason for Leahy’s departure.

Maybe it’s just win, but state schools have caught us and it’s time to think long game I feel.

ND lost it's way when they chose to go the Ivy League academic route. When ND was taking sons of immigrants & was open to letting ND promote their school nationally ND became the greatest college program ever. Once they put the leash on Leahy & then put even harsher restrictions on Ara & Holtz.
Had they stuck to their mission as orginial intended. ND would have never lost it's place atop CFB.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Money talks. Always has and always will. Let’s see if attendance continues to drop and if merchandise sales drop off. My guess is it will if they continue the same way. But........... I found it very interesting that Kelly now states ND can recruit as a top 5 program . My guess is that maybe he can go after the elite players that are on the fence academically. Maybe there might be a little “easing” of the restrictions that might allow a few of the top players in each year. Why do I think that ? Well after 10 years you now say you believe you can recruit in the top 5. Why all of a sudden? What is different now than the previous 10 years? Could it be that games aren’t selling out and the National appeal is waning ? ND football is a huge money maker for the university. It’s the engine that drives everything else. If the school became Stanford then a lot of the money from football goes away. Thus other programs end up as collateral damage. Again, this is pure speculation on my part. I have know info of any sort. I put this out there as food for thought, nothing more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT