ADVERTISEMENT

Moving Forward

NDblitz

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Dec 15, 2021
Collectively as a group ND needs to decide “are we gonna fake it. Be a developmental program and be satisfied with what’s coming?” Or are they going to do what they need to do to allow themselves to get to the next level. They better embrace the portal and NIL and create an academic program to get select athletes in the school (whatever that is) or it’s over. They become Wisconsin. Every three years a good/great team and the back to developing.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and 1Redrum
Absolutely. With the transfer portal more so than NIL ND needs to recognize graduating is not the goal for some kids. Let them in..... have them still go to class but don't make graduation the priority if the kids don't care. Come on over ...play a year or two and move along.

Also ...hire a head coach and offensive coordinator. The ones we have seem nice but have proven they can't coach their way out of a paper bag

Reactions: Airzee23
Aside from your All American candidate tight end, you don't have many offensive threats. That makes it tough to score into the 30-40's. Kelly didn't leave the cupboard very well stocked.

Urban Meyer. ND is a Catholic institution. Catholicisms core foundation is based on forgiveness.
UM is a championship level college coach. The question comes down to does ND want to contend for national championships or fiddle around like a MAC program?

Meyer is human scum. He has a history of abusing his players. ND would never hire him.

Aside from your All American candidate tight end, you don't have many offensive threats. That makes it tough to score into the 30-40's. Kelly didn't leave the cupboard very well stocked.
Tobias Merriweather, but apparently he can't be trusted.

For the rest of the year IMO cut the offensive plays to 15 or 20 plays Pyne can actually run. Easy pass plays.
And play Angeli.

Reactions: BGI User 756
ND should rethink the offer to join the BIG 10, not sure NBC is going to want to pay $75 million + for this.

So who do we beat going forward? Not USC, not Clemson, probably not Syracuse. This was a terrible loss which erases any progress from the BYU game. We will be lucky to be 6-5 and go to a crap bowl.

Collectively as a group ND needs to decide “are we gonna fake it. Be a developmental program and be satisfied with what’s coming?” Or are they going to do what they need to do to allow themselves to get to the next level. They better embrace the portal and NIL and create an academic program to get select athletes in the school (whatever that is) or it’s over. They become Wisconsin. Every three years a good/great team and the back to developing.
My guess is that they'll take 3 to 5 years to figure it out and even then, possibly not reach the "right" conclusion.

It's a pretty RIGID CROWD and extremely MISSION-MINDED when it comes to academics.

For ND football supporters . . .

IT'S A MAJOR DILEMMA.

Reactions: christophero
My guess is that they'll take 3 to 5 years to figure it out and even then, possibly not reach the "right" conclusion.

It's a pretty RIGID CROWD and extremely MISSION-MINDED when it comes to academics.

For ND football supporters . . .

IT'S A MAJOR DILEMMA.
👍

So who do we beat going forward? Not USC, not Clemson, probably not Syracuse. This was a terrible loss which erases any progress from the BYU game. We will be lucky to be 6-5 and go to a crap bowl.
Sure.

But I'd suggest one additional wrinkle: a possible upset of one of the three teams you mentioned COUNTERBALANCED by a loss to, say, BC or Navy. THAT's how Faust rolled, often beating good teams and losing to inferior ones.

My fear is that Freeman has Faust's DNA.

Reactions: christophero
Hey! The Boilers are 5-2! They could easily be 7-0! (or 2-5)
This is NDs future. Go 5-7 5-7 then you go 9-3 good bowl. Then maybe do it again. Beat SC at home 1 time outta 4 years. Graduate your guys. Then start over. That’s actually Stanford and Northwestern models.

The maddening part of all of this is that anyone with half a brain saw this coming the day he was hired and said this is exactly what was going to happen

The maddening part of all of this is that anyone with half a brain saw this coming the day he was hired and said this is exactly what was going to happen
I was for going after Fickell. It's tough to continue to support Freeman, but Rees is worse. The Offense is simply horrible. 14 points won't win you many games.

This is NDs future. Go 5-7 5-7 then you go 9-3 good bowl. Then maybe do it again. Beat SC at home 1 time outta 4 years. Graduate your guys. Then start over. That’s actually Stanford and Northwestern models.

Stanford was competing for the PAC title for something like a dozen years straight. And Northwestern usually has terrible years and then 9-3 years. I don't understand how they ping pong so.

Well, not really, there were those trumpeting the hire.

where are they now ?

Stanford was competing for the PAC title for something like a dozen years straight. And Northwestern usually has terrible years and then 9-3 years. I don't understand how they ping pong so.
Development programs which is what ND will become

It seemed like a huge gamble to me. Kind of like the situation at Duke. The difference is Scheyer has 2 #1 recruiting classes lined up. Kelly was a big loss. He didn't win the big games, but we were consistently good. But everyone seemed thrilled with the hire, so I went along with it. If he can't turn it around by next year we need to hire a big name coach.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Most of us questioned but were supportive. I always cautioned that the odds were against Freeman for a lack of head coaching experience.

I still will support Freeman. He still should get 2-3 years, unless there is catastrophic failure. There still is a lot left in the season, so the verdict is still out.

Plus, as we’ve often discussed, there is no easy fix. You can’t just knee jerk fire Freeman, as ND faces many impediments to producing a good football team. I too sense Freeman is not looking likely to succeed, but he has to be given a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT