ADVERTISEMENT

ND talent/recruit class ranking on usual Q4 decline

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Losing out on Keon Keeley, and both Moore's (all top 25/50ish type talents) is really taking what would have been a special class and turning it into merely just a good one. ND is down to #4 in the class ranking with 3-4 other programs biting at their heels to pass them. It's looking like ND will ultimately finish at #8ish in the class ranking when all is said and done. Match that with ND not taking a lot of transfers like other schools do and the steep competitive disadvantage continues.

ND for whatever reason loses 100% of their recruiting momentum once the season starts (it happens every year).

I'm hoping something special/unique happens over the next 3 months in terms of performance on the field so MF can potentially shake some talent loose from other orgs, but right now the class is looking oddly familiar to the previous regimes.

If we are not going to recruit top 5 talent with MF, then I would have rather just kept the known quantity in Kelly.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrian1477
Losing out on Keon Keeley, and both Moore's (all top 25/50ish type talents) is really taking what would have been a special class and turning it into merely just a good one. ND is down to #4 in the class ranking with 3-4 other programs biting at their heels to pass them. It's looking like ND will ultimately finish at #8-10 when all is said and done. Match that with ND not taking JUCOs and behind on transfer portal and the steep competitive disadvantage continues.

ND for whatever reason loses 100% of their recruiting momentum once the season starts (it happens every year).

I'm hoping something special/unique happens over the next 3 months in terms of performance on the field so MF can potentially shake some 5-star talents loose.

You are an insufferable ass. I've said it before and I'll say it again---go pull for another school. Notre Dame is never going to measure up to your lofty standards.

You are an insufferable ass. I've said it before and I'll say it again---go pull for another school. Notre Dame is never going to measure up to your lofty standards.
The school with the historically highest winning percentage all time, at the top in all americans, national titles, heisman winners, NFL HoFers, sells out 99% of their games, tops in TV ratings, and 2nd/3rd to only Alabama and Texas in revenue generated from football, is not going to match up to my lofty standards of not getting their shit pushed in on the recruiting trail?

Last edited:
Chase raises a fair point. ND fades in recruiting rankings almost every year.

The only real exception was 2011 when ND added: Tuitt, Lynch, Golson, Nick Martin and Troy Niklas all in the final couple weeks.

The school with the historically highest winning percentage all time, at the top in all americans, national titles, heisman winners, NFL HoFers, and sells out 99% of their home games and is at the top of TV ratings week in and week out for the last however many decades, and is at the top in revenue generated form their football program, is not going to match up to my lofty standards of not getting their shit pushed in on the recruiting trail?

Really---go pull for another school. Bama would suit you fine. So would Ohio St. Maybe Clemson. I have scoped out three possibilities for you. Get lost.

It's ok for everybody to vent like 4 year olds on gameday when the coach makes a small blunder, but when our key competitors are pushing our shit in on the recruiting trail all year long (something FAR MORE IMPORTANT) we're supposed to just look the other way and pretend like everything is great?

My biggest question is why does none of the endless outlets that cover this team talk about this stuff?

Last edited:

The only real exception was 2011 when ND added: Tuitt, Lynch, Golson, Nick Martin and Troy Niklas all in the final couple weeks.
incentives are more obvious and lucrative as the cycles near signing day. since it happens every year why in heck can’t you discern which recruits are actual commits and which commits are place card holders.

Reactions: BGI User 756

Recruiting services ALWAYS FAVOR THE TEAMS THAT GET RECRUITS LATE. Notre Dame traditionally gets their best recruits early. When a top guy commits early and is solid, is not taking other visits, they drop in the rankings because they stop generating clicks for those services. The guys that wait it out inevitably move up as there is interest in where they are going.

This isn't going to change soon.

incentives are more obvious and lucrative as the cycles near signing day. since it happens every year why in heck can’t you discern which recruits are actual commits and which commits are place card holders.
Not everything is about money

Losing out on Keon Keeley, and both Moore's (all top 25/50ish type talents) is really taking what would have been a special class and turning it into merely just a good one. ND is down to #4 in the class ranking with 3-4 other programs biting at their heels to pass them. It's looking like ND will ultimately finish at #8ish in the class ranking when all is said and done. Match that with ND not taking a lot of transfers like other schools do and the steep competitive disadvantage continues.

I'm hoping something special/unique happens over the next 3 months in terms of performance on the field so MF can potentially shake some talent loose from other orgs, but right now the class is looking oddly familiar to the previous regimes.

If we are not going to recruit top 5 talent with MF, then I would have rather just kept the known quantity in Kelly.
We'll finish in the 4 to 6 range if we don't have any decommits. No chance at 8

You hate to complain and criticize when you know Freeman and staff have been recruiting hard and gotten some very good commits. From what it looks like ND should add J. Love, T. Lyons, a QB and a DE. This is will be a very good class. But as we've seen for the last decade, ND offers a great supporting cast. They have about the same amount of 4 stars compared to the elite programs. The difference is the lack of 5 star talent. ND needs to close the gap here. It's astonishing to me just how difficult it's been to get 5 star talent, especially when the majority of 5 star guys could start from day 1. With the exception of QB, ND is in a position to tell 5 star recruits: if you enroll early, at the very least you'll be in the rotation and possibly starting.

Please go 'root' for Alabama or Michigan or ANYONE ELSE.
Having so called fans like you makes everyone else look bad.

You hate to complain and criticize when you know Freeman and staff have been recruiting hard and gotten some very good commits. From what it looks like ND should add J. Love, T. Lyons, a QB and a DE. This is will be a very good class. But as we've seen for the last decade, ND offers a great supporting cast. They have about the same amount of 4 stars compared to the elite programs. The difference is the lack of 5 star talent. ND needs to close the gap here. It's astonishing to me just how difficult it's been to get 5 star talent, especially when the majority of 5 star guys could start from day 1. With the exception of QB, ND is in a position to tell 5 star recruits: if you enroll early, at the very least you'll be in the rotation and possibly starting.
Brutal fact is that most 5 stars want the easiest way to the NFL and by that I mean EASY CLASSES and a school that will look the other way as much as they can.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Brutal fact is that most 5 stars want the easiest way to the NFL and by that I mean EASY CLASSES and a school that will look the other way as much as they can.
I somewhat agree. I would think plenty of 4 star guys see themselves as having a future in the NFL. So why are they coming to ND but not 5 star guys? And ND usually sends multiple guys to the NFL annually and I'm sure recruits take notice. If ND was only getting borderline 4 star and mostly 3 star guys, then i would be more inclined to agree with you.

Please go 'root' for Alabama or Michigan or ANYONE ELSE.
Having so called fans like you makes everyone else look bad.
How? Are we supposed to be on this board and just ignore the glaring disparity in recruiting compared to Bama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State???? Freeman said it, we're here to compete for National Championships. Great! But, we HAVE TO CHANGE SOME THINGS WITH RECRUITING!!! We are nowhere close to securing the talent that these schools get AND they are winning championships. When we play them, we get crushed. Ohio State completely outclassed our o-line and beat us. We couldn't do anything in the 2nd half but hey, it's just par for the course with ND vs the elite.

Stop getting so butt hurt when someone brings up FACTS about ND. We all want to see ND return to glory but the ND brass is still stuck in the 80's with no signs of changing soon. Sorry, but the OP is 100% correct. You are not.

Reactions: chaseball

I posted this on another thread and while some on here want Chaseball to F off, the man is speaking facts. Here you go:

I broke down the recruiting classes for the past 4 years, 2019 - 2022, of the elite programs in the nation to see how ND compared. I looked at the average consensus team rank and the average top-100 football players committed. I put them in order by the average top-100 players committed (This does not include transfers):

Alabama: Average Rank - 1.5
Average Top 100 - 14

Georgia: Average Rank - 2.25
Average Top 100 - 9.5

Texas A&M: Average Rank - 4.75
Average Top 100 - 9.25

Ohio State: Average Rank - 6.75
Average Top 100 - 7.5

LSU: Average Rank - 6.50
Average Top 100 - 6.0

Clemson: Average Rank - 7.5
Average Top 100 - 5.75

Notre Dame: Average Rank - 12.5
Average Top 100 - 3.5

Obviously, to compete with the best, you have to have the best players. Last year, Alabama and A&M both had 17 players in the top-100. ND had 3. For 2023, Alabama has 8 and if ND can hang on to Bowen, ND will have 4, possibly 6, if we can land M'Pemba and Love. Now there's a lot that can happen in the development of those players outside the top 100, transfers, etc but if recruiting history is an indicator of future National Champions, which it is, we have a long way to go. And yes, we're currently sitting with a top-5 recruiting class which would be one of our best classes in the past 20 years. However, there is a long way to go to the early signing period in December.

Unfortunately with nil, it's more likely that the people advising recruits are being more influenced by easy money then dreams of the NFL.

Reactions: 88ND
I posted this on another thread and while some on here want Chaseball to F off, the man is speaking facts. Here you go:

I broke down the recruiting classes for the past 4 years, 2019 - 2022, of the elite programs in the nation to see how ND compared. I looked at the average consensus team rank and the average top-100 football players committed. I put them in order by the average top-100 players committed (This does not include transfers):

Average Top 100 - 14

Average Top 100 - 9.5

Average Top 100 - 9.25

Average Top 100 - 7.5

Average Top 100 - 6.0

Average Top 100 - 5.75

Average Top 100 - 3.5

Obviously, to compete with the best, you have to have the best players. Last year, Alabama and A&M both had 17 players in the top-100. ND had 3. For 2023, Alabama has 8 and if ND can hang on to Bowen, ND will have 4, possibly 6, if we can land M'Pemba and Love. Now there's a lot that can happen in the development of those players outside the top 100, transfers, etc but if recruiting history is an indicator of future National Champions, which it is, we have a long way to go. And yes, we're currently sitting with a top-5 recruiting class which would be one of our best classes in the past 20 years. However, there is a long way to go to the early signing period in December.
So what is your recommendation? If it’s suggesting that ND lower its academic standards to allow players with questionable academic backgrounds in, that will never happen.

So what is your recommendation? If it’s suggesting that ND lower its academic standards to allow players with questionable academic backgrounds in, that will never happen.
Remember Prop 48? It allowed a kid named Tony Rice to come to ND who would have never gotten in otherwise. Why can't ND take 3 - 5 kids each cycle who don't have the grades for ND but do for the NCAA standards? The players already get tutors? Give some of these guys a chance. Would it kill ND to do that? Would it diminish our standing in the academic world? No.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
It's ok for everybody to vent like 4 year olds on gameday when the coach makes a small blunder, but when our key competitors are pushing our shit in on the recruiting trail all year long (something FAR MORE IMPORTANT) we're supposed to just look the other way and pretend like everything is great?

My biggest question is why does none of the endless outlets that cover this team talk about this stuff?
It's simple. ND needs to WIN a BIG GAME! Clemson was recruiting in the 10-15 range for years until they broke through and won. Then the recruits started piling in.

How? Are we supposed to be on this board and just ignore the glaring disparity in recruiting compared to Bama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State???? Freeman said it, we're here to compete for National Championships. Great! But, we HAVE TO CHANGE SOME THINGS WITH RECRUITING!!! We are nowhere close to securing the talent that these schools get AND they are winning championships. When we play them, we get crushed. Ohio State completely outclassed our o-line and beat us. We couldn't do anything in the 2nd half but hey, it's just par for the course with ND vs the elite.

Stop getting so butt hurt when someone brings up FACTS about ND. We all want to see ND return to glory but the ND brass is still stuck in the 80's with no signs of changing soon. Sorry, but the OP is 100% correct. You are not.
You point to O-Line getting outclassed..can you pull composite OL rankings from the past 4 years to see where ND stands compared to the elites and if this is in fact a recruiting/talent issue?

It's simple. ND needs to WIN a BIG GAME! Clemson was recruiting in the 10-15 range for years until they broke through and won. Then the recruits started piling in.
But we beat #1 Clemson in 2020? Granted, they didn't have their 1st round draft pick QB and several defensive starters in that game and when those players were back in, we got crushed 30-10 in the ACC title game. 2021's recruiting class came in at #11. I agree that winning big games is a help with recruiting but there's a lot more we need to do.

You point to O-Line getting outclassed..can you pull composite OL rankings from the past 4 years to see where ND stands compared to the elites and if this is in fact a recruiting/talent issue?
Absolutely. Let me work on that. Great question!

Remember Prop 48? It allowed a kid named Tony Rice to come to ND who would have never gotten in otherwise. Why can't ND take 3 - 5 kids each cycle who don't have the grades for ND but do for the NCAA standards? The players already get tutors? Give some of these guys a chance. Would it kill ND to do that? Would it diminish our standing in the academic world? No.
Remember it well. I was a student at ND when Rice was there. Most of those you mention likely wouldn’t be able to survive calculus, the foreign language requirements, etc…, let alone be interested in wanting to put in the effort to take these courses. Additionally most HS players want the path of least resistance to getting to the NFL. School isn’t a priority. And as an alum, I don’t want them to lower their standards. If you think this is a viable option, go pull for Alabama or Ohio State—-ND is not going to do that.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Remember it well. I was a student at ND when Rice was there. Most of those you mention likely wouldn’t be able to survive calculus, the foreign language requirements, etc…, let alone be interested in wanting to put in the effort to take these courses. Additionally most HS players want the path of least resistance to getting to the NFL. School isn’t a priority. And as an alum, I don’t want them to lower their standards. If you think this is a viable option, go pull for Alabama or Ohio State—-ND is not going to do that.
OK... Then don't plan on ND winning a Natty in the modern CFB environment. We'll have flashes in the pan and make the playoffs only to get destroyed like we have since 2000. But hey, we have the smartest players!

But we beat #1 Clemson in 2020? Granted, they didn't have their 1st round draft pick QB and several defensive starters in that game and when those players were back in, we got crushed 30-10 in the ACC title game. 2021's recruiting class came in at #11. I agree that winning big games is a help with recruiting but there's a lot more we need to do.
ND won that game with Clemson missing their QB and a few on the defensive side of the ball. They then proceeded to get blown out a few weeks later in the ACCCG vs Clemson and then again in the playoff vs Alabama.

Have to laugh at this post. and the OP

so you would prefer that we kids commit later so it looks like we are trending up?
lol.

we are getting kids committed earlier, why should that count less?

3 out 5, 5 star recruits don't stick in the NFL, and the average career length in the NFL is 3.3 years.

The coaches need to drive this home with these stats and stress why it's important to have a legitimate degree to fall back on. Even the NIL money won't last that long. Let's say an athlete gets $1 million in NIL, $1 million today won't go far. After the gov't takes their 40% cut, unless it's invested properly, which let's face it, these kids are going to buy the big house, nice cars for several family members, etc. that moneys gone.

Average Top 100 - 14

Average Top 100 - 9.5

Average Top 100 - 9.25

Average Top 100 - 7.5

Average Top 100 - 6.0

Average Top 100 - 5.75

Average Top 100 - 3.5

Feels like a chase ball alias …

Feels like a chase ball alias …
Like I told Sassy, please feel free to refute my post with facts. Or just keep accusing me of being a troll in which case, have at it.... Again, not seeking your approval and really could care less.

Like I told Sassy, please feel free to refute my post with facts. Or just keep accusing me of being a troll in which case, have at it.... Again, not seeking your approval and really could care less.
Yet you felt compelled to answer …lol

Now take your own advice and answer my post as to why you talked out of both sides of your mouth around recruiting …

Yet you felt compelled to answer …lol

Now take your own advice and answer my post as to why you talked out of both sides of your mouth around recruiting …
My bad. I struggled through your word salad. What don't you understand?

This is the equivalent of you're not coming to my birthday and no one likes you. How about debating the content of his post? He didn't come off trollish..

Chase made some valid points aside from the "rather have kelly" part.. Well dear he wouldn't rather have you and your school who clearly is not going to commit to being a true championship program and are going to rest on the laurels of their success in the first half of the previous century.

ND football has carved out it's niche as a pseudo academic power with an insane endowment fund that would rather be competitive in football every so often and able to brag about it's graduation rates than truly be a championship program, so I understand where you're coming from as the It's not going to change schtick.

That doesn't mean, however, that you need to act like a 4 year old when a reasonable person raises some reasonable questions about some of the aspects of the program that, if corrected or improved, would put them on a trajectory to once becoming a football power.

Don't get it twisted, you do not like this program because of it's Catholic heritage and academic prowess. You were attracted to this program because of it's football brand, Alumnus or not..

Do some pushups & run some sprints in the driveway tonight and pour yourself a couple stiff ones before kickoff buddy cuz you gotta RELAX.

This is the equivalent of you're not coming to my birthday and no one likes you. How about debating the content of his post? He didn't come off trollish..

Chase made some valid points aside from the "rather have kelly" part.. Well dear he wouldn't rather have you and your school who clearly is not going to commit to being a true championship program and are going to rest on the laurels of their success in the first half of the previous century.

ND football has carved out it's niche as a pseudo academic power with an insane endowment fund that would rather be competitive in football every so often and able to brag about it's graduation rates than truly be a championship program, so I understand where you're coming from as the It's not going to change schtick.

That doesn't mean, however, that you need to act like a 4 year old when a reasonable person raises some reasonable questions about some of the aspects of the program that, if corrected or improved, would put them on a trajectory to once becoming a football power.

Don't get it twisted, you do not like this program because of it's Catholic heritage and academic prowess. You were attracted to this program because of it's football brand, Alumnus or not..

Do some pushups & run some sprints in the driveway tonight and pour yourself a couple stiff ones before kickoff buddy cuz you gotta RELAX.
Really, so the only thing 'chaseball' said that was wrong, was giving the slightest credit to 3-time national coach of the year BK? And all the rest of his hackneyed mewling - and he really does mewl - about how even though we recruit really well as it is, and we currently have the #3 overall class with two top 250 RBs in the fold, that it's absolutely not good enough. And it needs to be said, it needs to be said out loud, it needs to be repeated over and over again by fans everywhere, and you just never stop talking about it and repeating it because that's how you bring positive change about.....

You guys should do that, you should start a movement. Start an online movement - *******BUT NOT ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD******* - where you collect signatures, and start your own website, and really get a groundswell going, with the end goal of improving ND's RB recruiting to a stature more commensurate with a program of ND's truly elite prestige. And this movement of ND fans and obsessives will settle for nothing less than two top 100 RB signees annually, including at least one five star, top-twenty-overall super elite RB recruit every other year.

And you just keep spreading the word, and building the movement, and you never stop talking about it. That's how change is created, that's how it happens. But definitely NOT on this message board. On some other board or website somewhere.....

Reactions: notredamerises23
Really, so the only thing 'chaseball' said that was wrong, was giving the slightest credit to 3-time national coach of the year BK? And all the rest of his hackneyed mewling - and he really does mewl - about how even though we recruit really well as it is, and we currently have the #3 overall class with two top 250 RBs in the fold, that it's absolutely not good enough. And it needs to be said, it needs to be said out loud, it needs to be repeated over and over again by fans everywhere, and you just never stop talking about it and repeating it because that's how you bring positive change about.....

You guys should do that, you should start a movement. Start an online movement - *******BUT NOT ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD******* - where you collect signatures, and start your own website, and really get a groundswell going, with the end goal of improving ND's RB recruiting to a stature more commensurate with a program of ND's truly elite prestige. And this movement of ND fans and obsessives will settle for nothing less than two top 100 RB signees annually, including at least one five star, top-twenty-overall super elite RB recruit every other year.

And you just keep spreading the word, and building the movement, and you never stop talking about it. That's how change is created, that's how it happens. But definitely NOT on this message board. On some other board or website somewhere.....
In my estimation, yes. It's pretty commonplace for ND to start out high in the recruiting rankings and after a few deflections, viola! They're back to a top 10-15 recruiting class. Same shit different year. Maybe the MF recruiting bump can keep the descension inside the top 10 this year, only time will tell.. If this doesn't happen nearly every year, then prove us wrong.

I'll do whatever the **** I want on this message board. I've paid my $99 and I'm not attacking anyone or breaking any rules.

Stop being so easily gas-lit and whiney. That little rant you just went off on was reminiscent of something my wife does but she has raging estrogen hormones and is a full time mom and bleeds once a month, so I kinda forgive her.

Man up.

In my estimation, yes. It's pretty commonplace for ND to start out high in the recruiting rankings and after a few deflections, viola! They're back to a top 10-15 recruiting class. Same shit different year. Maybe the MF recruiting bump can keep the descension inside the top 10 this year, only time will tell.. If this doesn't happen nearly every year, then prove us wrong.

I'll do whatever the **** I want on this message board. I've paid my $99 and I'm not attacking anyone or breaking any rules.

Stop being so easily gas-lit and whiney. That little rant you just went off on was reminiscent of something my wife does but she has raging estrogen hormones and is a full time mom and bleeds once a month, so I kinda forgive her.

Man up.
I don't think you know what gaslighting is, but I guess you want to take credit for having just gaslighted me? Is that it??

I don't think there's anything to what 'chaseball' is saying. As a matter of fact I don't think this class is going to collapse, nor is there really any history of that ever happening. So there's really no substance to anything that you or chaseball are saying. I'm serious, dude. There's just nothing to what you're saying. Our recruiting classes do not collapse, that is false. Other than having a player or two decommit, which is completely normal across all CFB programs.

I'm thinking of changing my mind on your claim that you're not a troll. And I say that only because you're so defensive. And way quicker to be confrontational and defiant and a little too stupidly opinionated than most people would. To say nothing of bringing your wife into it, in a rather eyebrow-raisingly cavalier fashion. Most people don't use their wives as props when arguing with strangers on the internet, and in such a casually insulting and disrespectful manner as you just did. In fact they NEVER do that.....

So you tell me.....

I don't think you know what gaslighting is, but I guess you want to take credit for having just gaslighted me? Is that it??

I don't think there's anything to what 'chaseball' is saying. As a matter of fact I don't think this class is going to collapse, nor is there really any history of that ever happening. So there's really no substance to anything that you or chaseball are saying. I'm serious, dude. There's just nothing to what you're saying. Our recruiting classes do not collapse, that is false. Other than having a player or two decommit, which is completely normal across all CFB programs.

I'm thinking of changing my mind on your claim that you're not a troll. And I say that only because you're so defensive. And way quicker to be confrontational and defiant and a little too stupidly opinionated than most people would. To say nothing of bringing your wife into it, in a rather eyebrow-raisingly cavalier fashion. Most people don't use their wives as props when arguing with strangers on the internet, and in such a casually insulting and disrespectful manner as you just did. In fact they NEVER do that.....

So you tell me.....
I got it. You and the other dude get to be a whiney bitch and antagonize arguments by saying go root for other programs or go start your own board but when you’re called out for being a whiney bitch, I’m over the line got it.

you’re not contributing anything to the board if you’re not debating the content of someone’s post and offering up asinine solutions that show just how butt hurt you really are. By default that’s being a whiney bitch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT