ADVERTISEMENT

ND talent/recruit class ranking on usual Q4 decline

ND recruited it's fair share of 4 and even a couple of 5 star recruits. Somehow though, none of them seemed to have panned out. I believe a good portion of that had to do with the coaching staff, and it's one of the reasons i'm not sold on Rees as OC/QB coach.
Agree w you. I’ll just counter with: we need the QB that wins at Ohio State. We just haven’t found that guy. I loved Ian Book, and he did everything that he could do, but we all know the limitations.

Watson was a Top 30 guy nationally. He panned out, and it changed everything for Clemson. Maybe that can be CJ Carr for us. We’ll know in about 1,000 days. Till then, I’ll be here……🙃

Agree w you. I’ll just counter with: we need the QB that wins at Ohio State. We just haven’t found that guy. I loved Ian Book, and he did everything that he could do, but we all know the limitations.

Watson was a Top 30 guy nationally. He panned out, and it changed everything for Clemson. Maybe that can be CJ Carr for us. We’ll know in about 1,000 days. Till then, I’ll be here……🙃
Carr is next years subject for QB bashing! Let’s not get ahead of ourselves!

Yeah, can we put a moratorium on even bringing up CJ Carr's name? The dude is a junior in HS right now. It borders on being improper to even bring his name up as being some savior for ND football, especially if the program is suddenly cratering or collapsing. And no talk whatsoever about 'reclassifying', so we can hustle him early into the dumpster fire that ND football is quite possibly burgeoning into. That's like a borderline form of child abuse. Seriously, that's effed up....

Let's just focus on the team we have now, and the QBs we have now. Tyler Buchner, barring injury, is the present and future of ND football. So figure out a way to make it work with him as our guy....

I agree. I hope CJ sticks with his commitment. It's a long way to December 2023

Carr is next years subject for QB bashing! Let’s not get ahead of ourselves!
Pers….there are days when I truly enjoy your wit and sarcasm. The day after losing at home to Marshall isn’t one of them.

I agree. I hope CJ sticks with his commitment. It's a long way to December 2023
Agree. I literally had the same thought yesterday.

His phone will continue to ring. And my understanding is that Rees “owns” the Carr relationship. Things go south with Tommy, then it could get dicey for Carr.

The school with the historically highest winning percentage all time, at the top in all americans, national titles, heisman winners, NFL HoFers, sells out 99% of their games, tops in TV ratings, and 2nd/3rd to only Alabama and Texas in revenue generated from football, is not going to match up to my lofty standards of not getting their shit pushed in on the recruiting trail?
Lol at "historical". How many of those have happened in the modern era of say the last 20-30 yrs? I'll answer if for you.....very few. Kids dgaf what ND did when Leave it to Beaver was on primetime.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrian1477
Agree. I literally had the same thought yesterday.

His phone will continue to ring. And my understanding is that Rees “owns” the Carr relationship. Things go south with Tommy, then it could get dicey for Carr.
So what then.

He could be coaching Joe Montana and still find a way to ruin that

recruiting is in trouble with what appears to be a staff in chaos now. MF needs to move people around and move people out.

A couple of more losses this season and "commits" will start to jump ship.

vR7OZZ.gif

recruiting is in trouble with what appears to be a staff in chaos now. MF needs to move people around and move people out.
That could cause even more chaos as many of the commitments are locked into the current assistants that are recruiting them. Obviously, the KEY position is QB as if you look around - the top teams have them stacked deep on their rosters.

That could cause even more chaos as many of the commitments are locked into the current assistants that are recruiting them. Obviously, the KEY position is QB as if you look around - the top teams have them stacked deep on their rosters.
there will be a lot of choices of quality in the Portal. Guys who hit Jr years and have a top Fr. behind them are headed to the bench or Portal. Unfortunately that help is a year away. MF consulted TR and got bad advice; MF needed to do his own due diligence instead of jumping in with TR hook line and stinker

Losing out on Keon Keeley, and both Moore's (all top 25/50ish type talents) is really taking what would have been a special class and turning it into merely just a good one. ND is down to #4 in the class ranking with 3-4 other programs biting at their heels to pass them. It's looking like ND will ultimately finish at #8ish in the class ranking when all is said and done. Match that with ND not taking a lot of transfers like other schools do and the steep competitive disadvantage continues.

ND for whatever reason loses 100% of their recruiting momentum once the season starts (it happens every year).

I'm hoping something special/unique happens over the next 3 months in terms of performance on the field so MF can potentially shake some talent loose from other orgs, but right now the class is looking oddly familiar to the previous regimes.

If we are not going to recruit top 5 talent with MF, then I would have rather just kept the known quantity in Kelly.
ND is not for everyone, it takes a lot to get through ND on multiple levels. It’s easy to get wide eyed about what ND has to offer and then as the full reality becomes clear, some will self select out which is better than them coming and not making it. This is why there’s time between visit / offer / “binding” commitment.

We could make a long list of Bowen caliber players that had at one point been committed to ND. For the ones that didn’t matriculate to ND, some prospered elsewhere and some fizzled out but don’t assume any had what it takes to make it at ND both on and off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT