ADVERTISEMENT

Building An Elite Team in the Modern Era: Exhibit A, USC

Building a strong team, let alone an elite team, is not easy of course. We're comparing ND to USC on this thread. But I've started also looking at Texas A&M and Michigan state, as each spent ~$95M on Jimbo Fisher and Mel Tucker respectively, just on salary...yet results are mixed so far.

It's a complicated thing. But even with supposedly strong coaches, Texas A&M and MSU aren't finding it easy. Apparently USC is finding it easier...what's the difference, minding we know what the difference is wrt ND?

I go back to what I posted earlier. I think USC has the brand and player pool in CA for Riley to maximize his coaching ability. Again, I think ND has the brand and players would come if the program were opened up as we've discussed.

I don't think Texas A&M and MSU have the brand power. Even with coaching, opening up, and $$$. Apparently being a blue blood helps, all things being equal...noting they're always not, as Nebraska certainly doesn't benefit from being blue blood.

Finally, there is still a lot of football to be played. We will see how all these teams fare. And what works versus doesn't...and how it can apply to ND.

For now, I'm sensing USC will prove to be successful, progressing towards elite status. Giving ND the usual soul searching basis of comparison. I sure hope so...because I think USC success might motivate ND to make more changes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT