ADVERTISEMENT

Building An Elite Team in the Modern Era: Exhibit A, USC

You also have to look at the quality of their opponents, their SOS and Oklahoma ranked 26.

One outlier doesn’t make a standard, one team out of 64 teams doesn’t set the benchmark.
Those are their rankings for the season

2018 - 101st

2019 - 64th

You know nothing about football

Quit avoiding the question and back up your moronic statement

Their defense was terrible and they made the playoff. So back up your statement. Just admit you were dead wrong

I'll repeat again: I'm rooting for USC for 2 primary reasons, in order of precedence, and 1 minor reason:

1. Because USC doing well inspires ND to match them and reinvigorate the greatest rivalry.

2. To destroy the cheating SEC, which normalized semi-professionalism while lobbying to punish USC & Carroll for doing it...although USC now is on a mission to rise from the punishment and adopt the new normal just like the SEC. I've no proof SEC was in on the USC death penalty, but it's too circumstantial. ;)

3. Well, if ND won't adopt the new normal, might as well enjoy a CA school doing it, since I live in this state...while waiting for somehow, someway, ND again being the once and future king of college football.

God simply wills it. Deus Vult. Ha ha. The spell check tried to say Deus Cult! :p

In spite of what I write about realism, I can't stop hoping I'll live to see 1988 again.

Reactions: d1042
Those are their rankings for the season

2018 - 101st

2019 - 64th

You know nothing about football

Quit avoiding the question and back up your moronic statement

Their defense was terrible and they made the playoff. So back up your statement. Just admit you were dead wrong
I did, you’re just too obtuse to understand the answers

So admit you were wrong and we can move on.

Are you saying the 101st ranked defense wasnt bad??

YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL
You don’t understand the individual factors let alone the collectivization of those factors.

One team in over a decade of playoffs does not create a benchmark, but you wouldn’t understand that either.

I'll repeat again: I'm rooting for USC for 2 primary reasons, in order of precedence, and 1 minor reason:

1. Because USC doing well inspires ND to match them and reinvigorate the greatest rivalry.

2. To destroy the cheating SEC, which normalized semi-professionalism while lobbying to punish USC & Carroll for doing it...although USC now is on a mission to rise from the punishment and adopt the new normal just like the SEC. I've no proof SEC was in on the USC death penalty, but it's too circumstantial. ;)

3. Well, if ND won't adopt the new normal, might as well enjoy a CA school doing it, since I live in this state...while waiting for somehow, someway, ND again being the once and future king of college football.

God simply wills it. Deus Vult. Ha ha. The spell check tried to say Deus Cult! :p

In spite of what I write about realism, I can't stop hoping I'll live to see 1988 again.
and the homeless need something to cheer about!

Beach -- good win on Saturday. You guys beat a good OSU team, at home, when you weren't at your best. That is how you build a winning culture. LR is a top 5 college coach and once he starts bringing in the D talent to match the O, watch out SEC.

You don’t understand the individual factors let alone the collectivization of those factors.

One team in over a decade of playoffs does not create a benchmark, but you wouldn’t understand that either.
You said no team has made the playoffs with a bad defense. You were wrong. There have been multiple.

No one said it was a benchmark

You were wrong. It's okay

Beach -- good win on Saturday. You guys beat a good OSU team, at home, when you weren't at your best. That is how you build a winning culture. LR is a top 5 college coach and once he starts bringing in the D talent to match the O, watch out SEC.
Thank you. We are off to a great start, but realistically we are a year away.

Thank you. We are off to a great start, but realistically we are a year away.

1 year. Only 1 year? Well, that reinforces the point of this thread. Right?

ND could do the same if it made the similar practical changes. I truly believe ND could recruit 4-5 star monster classes if there were an easy academic path alone. Round it out with select, responsible transfers.

There is a difference in tone, attitude, and, literally, goals in this entire discussion. ND aspires right now to have a decent season. USC aspires to be an elite team within 1 year.

1 year. Only 1 year? Well, that reinforces the point of this thread. Right?

ND could do the same if it made the similar practical changes. I truly believe ND could recruit 4-5 star monster classes if there were an easy academic path alone. Round it out with select, responsible transfers.

There is a difference in tone, attitude, and, literally, goals in this entire discussion. ND aspires right now to have a decent season. USC aspires to be an elite team within 1 year.
ultimately it will come down to “show me the money”. money changes everything; it already has!

You said no team has made the playoffs with a bad defense. You were wrong. There have been multiple.

No one said it was a benchmark

You were wrong. It's okay
Name the multiple teams with bad defenses that made the final 4

No. Its 2 different teams.

Oklahoma in 2018 and

Oklahoma in 2019

You said zero bad defensive teams have made the CFP.

You were wrong. 2 bad defensive teams did
hmmm? what is the average PPG given up by ND inna NC or playoff games under BK? so, I-ask you, what is a bad defensive team?

Alabama scored 42 points against the 2012 ND team.

Was the 2012 ND team a bad d3fensive team ?

Alabama scored 42 points against the 2012 ND team.

Was the 2012 ND team a bad d3fensive team ?
No. The 2012 teams defense was top 10 in ppg against

Oklahomas was 101st and 64th. Both bad defenses.

You said none made the playoffs. You were wrong

hmmm? what is the average PPG given up by ND inna NC or playoff games under BK? so, I-ask you, what is a bad defensive team?
A team that ranks below 40th in ppg against. If you arent top 40 in defense, you are not a good defense

Riley will draw some great offensive players, no doubt. But Grinch did not do a very good job at OU with the D; both recruiting and development. D looks completely different for OU now. But since USC not playing Oregon and Washington might make the championship game. C. Williams a great QB but had real problems last year against good defenses (Baylor, Ok.State).
He had problems against a decent defense last week.

the DL is just not big or physical enough. just a fact of physical limitations. USC can only go so far on offense alone.
The better teams will abuse them.

USC is still undefeated. Getting stronger from what I can tell. Interestingly, UCLA beat WA, which surprised me.

I'm watching the USC games, sometimes Stanford. I still sense USC is on an upward trajectory...and will simply adjust fast to correct deficiencies. Sure, the defense is in focus right now.

As always, I'll be comparing to how ND can correct...like getting top QBs, runners, and receivers.

USC is still undefeated. Getting stronger from what I can tell. Interestingly, UCLA beat WA, which surprised me.

I'm watching the USC games, sometimes Stanford. I still sense USC is on an upward trajectory...and will simply adjust fast to correct deficiencies. Sure, the defense is in focus right now.

As always, I'll be comparing to how ND can correct...like getting top QBs, runners, and receivers.
the problem with SC’s defense is the physical limitations; a very low ceiling. They can be shoved around. It will take a couple recruiting classes before they are inthe ‘elite’ discussion.

the problem with SC’s defense is the physical limitations; a very low ceiling. They can be shoved around. It will take a couple recruiting classes before they are inthe ‘elite’ discussion.
At least one more. Maybe two,

USC's offense looks pretty awesome. They're already a fully realized force to be reckoned with.

Of course they could lose at any time. But the vaunted LR offense with CW at QB has hit the ground running.....

Beach -- good win on Saturday. You guys beat a good OSU team, at home, when you weren't at your best. That is how you build a winning culture. LR is a top 5 college coach and once he starts bringing in the D talent to match the O, watch out

Yep. He will have exit interviews in December. "okay defense guys you're all fired. " And then he will go into the portal and grab 20+ defensive players. It'll be like a Junior College. Whole new group every two years on a different side of the ball. I'm not too sure Oregon State is a good team. Unless Utah is a juggernaut.

USC's offense looks pretty awesome. They're already a fully realized force to be reckoned with.

Of course they could lose at any time. But the vaunted LR offense with CW at QB has hit the ground running.....
Very happy with what he has done with what he had when he started, but you are right about the "lose at any time" I expect three to four by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Yep. He will have exit interviews in December. "okay defense guys you're all fired. " And then he will go into the portal and grab 20+ defensive players. It'll be like a Junior College. Whole new group every two years on a different side of the ball. I'm not too sure Oregon State is a good team. Unless Utah is a juggernaut.
He will certainly tell some guys who can't make the field that they are off the team and try to replace them with transfers and recruits. Sort of like every other team.

Last edited:
Possible but not all 4 will
I am just not sure. I got us with a clear loss to Utah and a pretty clear loss to Notre Dame (you will see my point after to beat BYU by 11 this weekend), then at least one of the two others. Who knows, I thought Nd would go 11-1 this year, so what do I know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT