ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we seem to have a harder time with Navy ?

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
What teams have defensed Navy’s offensive the best over the last 5 years. ?

Yet we're 29 and 6 with 8 top 25 wins in that span

I think top 25 is too wide of a net.. Look at top 25 teams there are always bunch of crappy teams in there.. Even then I think Kelly is only 8-7 against top 25. True measure should be record against top 10 teams. I think he is 3-7 against top 10 team. Obviously no wins against top 5 teams..

The academies have always been an issue with ND. Lou came within a half yard losing to Army and came extremely close losing to Navy. They got that running thing perfected with the ability to complete a pass. Their defense is Top 20. Don't blame the cut block because many teams use that technique. IMHO, this will be the toughest of our final three. Remember, make every possession count because our "O" will not be getting the ball that often.

The academies have always been an issue with ND. Lou came within a half yard losing to Army and came extremely close losing to Navy. They got that running thing perfected with the ability to complete a pass. Their defense is Top 20. Don't blame the cut block because many teams use that technique. IMHO, this will be the toughest of our final three. Remember, make every possession count because our "O" will not be getting the ball that often.

Toby,

On one game Navy limited ND to six possessions.

Rivalry game with an interesting background because of how the Navy kept ND open during WWII.

Well everybody has a hard time with Navy and Army these days, because they play hard in an offense seldom used these days. They actually play the bone better than Ga Tech did even though Tech had better players--go figure. You can't attack the bone with three down linemen because it exposes the linebackers to the offensive linemen to quickly. It only take a swift block and that fullback is into the secondary at full speed. It can make for a long afternoon since it's the service academies objective to pick up 10 yards every four plays. The second thing the defense MUST do is kill the quarterback. Punish him every time he comes down the line to make that pitch. The secondary is in for a long afternoon. It's assignment football all afternoon. The best defense is for the offense to score quickly. It puts the bone in catch up mode all day long. The bone isn't a good catch up offense. I look forward to an exciting afternoon of football; also remember the game starts an hour early-1:30 CST.

At Stanford will be our toughest game, we'll smoke Navy.

We seem to have hard time with everyone.. Northwestern, Pitt, South Florida, Tulsa and so on.. My inkling is it's because we are not very good and haven't been for a long time..

Did you know we have a winning streak against unranked teams of twenty one, which is the second highest streak in college football only behind Alabama?

What span? The op is talking about the last 5 years. Stop making up random periods of time just so you can pretend Brian Kelly is a great coach.
Last 3 years. Not hard to figure out if you can add.

And I answered the op last 2 seasons we held them to 19.5ppg. Before that BVG happened.

And my response was to a poster who said we havent been good for a long time. Try to keep up

Reactions: Pennick4
Playing and beating unranked teams, though noble, and it counts, is the only way our QB and offense racks up the stats. They struggle mightily against stellar defenses that are highly ranked. The key is for our esteemed HC and his staff to act like they have been in huge games before and they know what they are doing when it comes to preparation. The panicked, deer in headlight strategy doesn't seem to be working.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Lots of teams struggle with good triple option teams. They normally eat up a lot of time, they go for it more than most teams on 4th down (which makes them harder to stop), and they limit the number of possessions that you get offensively. They also are normally very disciplined with turnovers and penalties, so you have to earn everything you get against them. Not to mention it's a totally different style of offense than anybody else you face all year, with a very unique game plan that must be practiced.

What teams have been the most effective in defending against Navy over the last 5 years ?

We seem to have hard time with everyone.. Northwestern, Pitt, South Florida, Tulsa and so on.. My inkling is it's because we are not very good and haven't been for a long time..
Very short memory huh. You should have been a fan during the Willingham / Weis Era, now that was no good. We are good team now, just not elite. We are usually a top 10-15 team now.

Does Navy use wider splits than usual on the offensive line? That would help explain why their inside running game can go for 5 yards a pop when their O linemen are undersized compared to P5 competition.

Why...
#1 Navy plays hard. They never give up the ship and this is their mini Super Bowl. (Army game is their big enchilada) but they REALLY want to beat us.

#2 the offense they run if they can set the edge they will have a field day. They might not win but they score plenty against us.

#3 they are frustrating to play against. They aren't afraid to go for it on all 4 downs most drives and often times actually do. They keep our offense on the sideline while they extend drives.

#4 they're not intimidated by anyone or anything.

#5 you combine all the above and it's a huge reason why they're seldom blown out. They will literally fight for all 60 mins.

If there ever is a team that beat ND that I don't feel that mad about after... It's any of the academies.

I've the utmost respect for them

I thought everyone is well past thinking Navy is a layup..... not only are they ranked but they have the most wins over Power 5 teams from a team outside the P5 over the last several years.

They are tough. Hate watching this game every year.... seems like you'll know within the first ten minutes what type of game itll be. Either ND can get up early and get Navy off their game.... or Navy will run 15+ play drives for 8 minutes and just grind ya down......

Does Navy use wider splits than usual on the offensive line? That would help explain why their inside running game can go for 5 yards a pop when their O linemen are undersized compared to P5 competition.
They also get the benefit of fewer guys to block and only taking the inside run game when it's the best choice. Safeties and LBs are usually focused on the outside run. And when the inside run might get stuffed, QB can take it outside.

So what team has had the most success defending against them in the last five years

So what team has had the most success defending against them in the last five years
It's like this. I did a little research, and to answer your question, not counting Army/AF, a defense can keep the score down against Navy one year, and give up a bunch of points the next. Case in point, Cincy shuts out Navy in 2018 but gave up 42 in 2017. Temple has done pretty good.

It's like this. I did a little research, and to answer your question, not counting Army/AF, a defense can keep the score down against Navy one year, and give up a bunch of points the next. Case in point, Cincy shuts out Navy in 2018 but gave up 42 in 2017. Temple has done pretty good.

Who was the coach who invented the mirror defense against the wishbone ?

At Stanford will be our toughest game, we'll smoke Navy.

I disagree. I think Navy will be the tougher match up by far. Stanford is way down in the dumps this year ranked down somewhere in the 70s/80s.

In fact, I think ND loses to Navy, and finishes the season 9-3.

I disagree. I think Navy will be the tougher match up by far. Stanford is way down in the dumps this year ranked down somewhere in the 70s/80s.

In fact, I think ND loses to Navy, and finishes the season 9-3.
I think Navy will be our toughest remaining game. With Stanford being the easiest

Some years we just can't run the ball. If we get stuck in a low scoring game like last year we have to keep punting and keep seeing more wishbone. I think we couldn't convert a 3rd&2 and had to give them the last chance.

I hope the Irish won’t have a rematch with Navy in the Camping World Bowl. It will be some AAC top team. Memphis, SMU, Navy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT