ADVERTISEMENT

Why do we seem to have a harder time with Navy ?

I hope the Irish won’t have a rematch with Navy in the Camping World Bowl. It will be some AAC top team. Memphis, SMU, Navy.
I can't think of a more worthless bowl game for a 10 win Notre Dame team to have to play in.

That would be embarrassing for the program.

As I mentioned in another topic. Losing has consequences. That Michigan loss relegated ND’s season to second banana.

I can't think of a more worthless bowl game for a 10 win Notre Dame team to have to play in.

That would be embarrassing for the program.
Actually the Camping bowl has sone nice projections. The aac things was wrong. Ive seen us up against Texas or Auburn on that bowl game

Actually the Camping bowl has sone nice projections. The aac things was wrong. Ive seen us up against Texas or Auburn on that bowl game
Camping World would be against a Big 12 team, probably Texas or K St. Could also play an SEC team in the Citrus. Those are pretty much our non-NY6 options at this point.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Rank: 16 | Opponent: 23 Navy Midshipmen | Time: Saturday, Nov. 16, 2:30 p.m. ET

Can anyone explain why the Notre Dame Fighting Irish are still the No. 16 team in the College Football Playoff rankings other than the name brand of their program? Outside of a bounce-back win against Virginia — who, let’s be honest, is not an elite team — the Irish have been almost wholly unimpressive since their loss at Georgia on Sept. 21.

Over that time span, Ian Book and the Irish have narrowly beaten USC at home, got demolished by Michigan at the Big House in a muddy game, just escaped against a decidedly mediocre Virginia Tech group and then beat up on a bad Duke team last week. Put in the simplest terms, there is nothing that Notre Dame has done this season to make me believe that they are anything more than a good football team that is substantially removed from the great and elite tiers.

On Saturday, the Navy Midshipmen come to South Bend and they’ll be looking to prove just that. After cracking the top 25 at No. 23, the 7-1 Midshipmen could make a tremendous statement in Week 12 if they could pull off an upset victory over Notre Dame. Navy’s lone loss on the season came against a very talented Memphis squad but they have largely been dominant otherwise.

Whenever a high-profile program team faces a triple-option offense, which Navy obviously runs, it’s a dangerous proposition. And the Midshipmen have been exceptionally dangerous in that attack with quarterback Malcolm Perry leading the charge. And if Navy can play up to their potential on defense as they’ve allowed just 18.1 points per game this year, the Midshipmen could prove just how average the Fighting Irish are in 2019.

https://fansided.com/2019/11/14/upset-alert-week-12-college-football/3/

I love how he says ND is grossly overrated and shouldn't be in the top 16, then turns around and says Navy could really make a statement with the win.

We seem to have hard time with everyone.. Northwestern, Pitt, South Florida, Tulsa and so on.. My inkling is it's because we are not very good and haven't been for a long time..
Didn’t we go to the playoffs. And yet all teams seem to struggle with option teams

Navy gives everybody problems. They're 7-1 this year. Hopefully Lea has the D well prepared this week.

Anyone complaining about any team's rank by the PC should have to answer the question Whom did Alabama beat?

Army, Air Force, Tulane, all option teams although Tulane's option is a little different

Defend against Navy !

That those teams run the option would seem to be irrelevant with the exception that their defenses get to practice against it every week.

Well everybody has a hard time with Navy and Army these days, because they play hard in an offense seldom used these days. They actually play the bone better than Ga Tech did even though Tech had better players--go figure. You can't attack the bone with three down linemen because it exposes the linebackers to the offensive linemen to quickly. It only take a swift block and that fullback is into the secondary at full speed. It can make for a long afternoon since it's the service academies objective to pick up 10 yards every four plays. The second thing the defense MUST do is kill the quarterback. Punish him every time he comes down the line to make that pitch. The secondary is in for a long afternoon. It's assignment football all afternoon. The best defense is for the offense to score quickly. It puts the bone in catch up mode all day long. The bone isn't a good catch up offense. I look forward to an exciting afternoon of football; also remember the game starts an hour early-1:30 CST.
This years Navy team is the most "quick strike" of any team in Navy's history. Time of possession advantage has been only slightly better than our opponents (32 mins per game). However, Navy has made more than 20+ plays from scrimmage that have gone for more than 20 yards. The grind it out capability is still part of the team philosophy, but not so much as in the past. Also, this year, Navy has massively out scored nearly all opponents (including Memphis) in the first quarter. Real weakness seems to come with scoring in the third quarter by opponents. While the AAC West has an S&P rating better than two ACC divisions, ND is without a doubt Navy's most formidable opponent. Go Navy.

This years Navy team is the most "quick strike" of any team in Navy's history. Time of possession advantage has been only slightly better than our opponents (32 mins per game). However, Navy has made more than 20+ plays from scrimmage that have gone for more than 20 yards. The grind it out capability is still part of the team philosophy, but not so much as in the past. Also, this year, Navy has massively out scored nearly all opponents (including Memphis) in the first quarter. Real weakness seems to come with scoring in the third quarter by opponents. While the AAC West has an S&P rating better than two ACC divisions, ND is without a doubt Navy's most formidable opponent. Go Navy.
I always cheer for Navy except when they play ND. GO NAVY blast ARMY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT