ADVERTISEMENT

What holds ND back from the top 3

Coming out of hs ND has signed many top QB's from different class during BK's years. The problem I see is they aren't developing like the guys under them. That's another reason I keep saying, less star watching and go for talent regardless of stars. I wish we had Ian for another three years. He developed into a very nice college QB.

ELITE CORNERBACK DEPTH. This is the largest talent gap with Notre Dame and has been for years.

Reactions: Kelso86
tier of Bama, Clemson, and OSU?

I think there are several answers, beginning with academics. I think that is a big hindrance as many top prep players are looking for a major in FB leading to the NFL.

You could make a case for location as well, I’m sure many of you could come up with several disadvantages to win a title at ND as compared to the other 3.

All those aside, I’d like to focus on the QB position/recruiting. I did some brief research and noticed that Clemson, Bama, and OSU have had several high 4 star and 5 star prospects. In fact, OSU will soon have FOUR QB’s that rate 5.9 or higher. They’ll have a #1, #3, and #7 QBs from their perspective class year. Bama is similar, with a #1, #3, #9 rated QBs on their current roster. Lastly, Clemson has DJU back #1 in his class, The #1 for the 22 class, and a #7, and #27.

Their ability to recruit high level QBs annually is spectacular. CFB is the most QB centric that it has ever been, having a truly skilled and elite QB running the offense is how you currently win.

even though I didn’t include OU since they didn’t get a title but they too are recruiting high level QBs year after year now.

I think Conan is going to surprise this year, I really do. It seem like Buchner is showing flashes of greatness in camp according to reporters and coaches. Pyne is a serviceable player at this point it seems. Clark hasn’t done anything in a few camps that indicate that he’ll be a starter while at ND. We pretty much have Buchner and no one else. I’ve read this past week that Angeli didn’t play well in his camp and his ranking has fallen. I’m shocked that ND is unable to consistently acquire a top 10 or even 15 QB for sure every season.

thoughts?

"I think Conan is going to surprise this year"

Conan the Barbarian? lol (yes, know who you meant!)

Coming out of hs ND has signed many top QB's from different class during BK's years. The problem I see is they aren't developing like the guys under them. That's another reason I keep saying, less star watching and go for talent regardless of stars. I wish we had Ian for another three years. He developed into a very nice college QB.
A nice college qb isn't going to win us any playoff games. I like Book but it was time for him to move on. We need someone with more talent if we want to win those games

Reactions: jcswoopnh
If Ian won the most games of any starting QB in ND History, and not very talented? He sure knew how to win; Good Lord!

If Ian won the most games of any starting QB in ND History, and not very talented? He sure knew how to win; Good Lord!
People need to stop manipulating words. NO ONE HAS EVER SAID HE'S NOT VERY TALENTED!!! There is a huge difference between championship caliber QB and not very talented. Book was in between. Everyone should know that and you saw just that. It's not good enough at the most important position if our goal, and it sure as hell better be, is to win a championship!

A nice college qb isn't going to win us any playoff games. I like Book but it was time for him to move on. We need someone with more talent if we want to win those games
You could put Peyton Manning back there and if you can't lineup 3 guys at cornerback that can stop NFL receivers youre still going to lose.

You could put Peyton Manning back there and if you can't lineup 3 guys at cornerback that can stop NFL receivers youre still going to lose.
We were definitely good enough in 18 at corner to win a Title and we have been in other years as well. We have not been good enough at QB

Difference between talent and elite talent. Ian is talented but not elite

People need to stop acting like because we as a team won a lot of games that makes Ian on the level of Watson or Trevor or Cam or Tebow or Fields or I can go on and on and on.

He was a nice qb. Good, not elite. How was he against ranked teams. Please break it down from 1-5,5-10,10-15. Sorry Book was good but never taking us to the promised land. But some fans are ok with being good but not great. Maybe that's you?

Reactions: jcswoopnh
People need to stop manipulating words. NO ONE HAS EVER SAID HE'S NOT VERY TALENTED!!! There is a huge difference between championship caliber QB and not very talented. Book was in between. Everyone should know that and you saw just that. It's not good enough at the most important position if our goal, and it sure as hell better be, is to win a championship!
Some fans are content with this level. Ara seems to be one of those.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
I want ND to win each an every week. I really don't care if you think the QB's a stud or talent challenged. Can he come in when the chips are down and the game on the line and led ND to victory. Just like Book did a number of times over his career. What really irritates me is when strangers assert claims about me and they don't even or will ever know me this side of heaven. Why do you think I don't post much anymore. I watched ND nearly win the championship in '64, and won it in '66,'73,'77, and '88. They should have won it in 1970 and 1974. There's no feeling like standing and applauding because you know ND just went the distance. I long for that feeling again. I won't gut a young man's accomplishments because IMSO he didn't measure up. So bug off!!!

Do you actually follow college football? The days of defense wins championships are over.
A great defense will beat a great offense every single time.

I will use just one example of this. Check the scores of last years playoffs.

Bama 31
ND 14

Clemson 28
OSU 49

Bama 52
OSU 24

OSU had a high powered offense. They blew Clemson, another high powered offense off the field. Then they faced the Bama defense that destroyed them. If defenses did not win championships, these playoff scores would have been in the 50's for each team.

Let me add one more example from recent times. The super Bowl. KC had one of the top offenses in the NFL. What happened? Was the SB a shoot out? Nope! The Bucs defense destroyed a banged uo KC Oline.

Bama 31
ND 14

Clemson 28
OSU 49

Bama 52
OSU 24

OSU had a high powered offense. They blew Clemson, another high powered offense off the field. Then they faced the Bama defense that destroyed them. If defenses did not win championships, these playoff scores would have been in the 50's for each team.

Let me add one more example from recent times. The super Bowl. KC had one of the top offenses in the NFL. What happened? Was the SB a shoot out? Nope! The Bucs defense destroyed a banged uo KC Oline.
The winning team the last 7 years has averaged 41 pts, and this is against some of the top defenses (other than Oregon 2014).

What does this tell you? Dominant offenses are crushing good/great defenses.

tier of Bama, Clemson, and OSU?

I think there are several answers, beginning with academics. I think that is a big hindrance as many top prep players are looking for a major in FB leading to the NFL.

You could make a case for location as well, I’m sure many of you could come up with several disadvantages to win a title at ND as compared to the other 3.

All those aside, I’d like to focus on the QB position/recruiting. I did some brief research and noticed that Clemson, Bama, and OSU have had several high 4 star and 5 star prospects. In fact, OSU will soon have FOUR QB’s that rate 5.9 or higher. They’ll have a #1, #3, and #7 QBs from their perspective class year. Bama is similar, with a #1, #3, #9 rated QBs on their current roster. Lastly, Clemson has DJU back #1 in his class, The #1 for the 22 class, and a #7, and #27.

Their ability to recruit high level QBs annually is spectacular. CFB is the most QB centric that it has ever been, having a truly skilled and elite QB running the offense is how you currently win.

even though I didn’t include OU since they didn’t get a title but they too are recruiting high level QBs year after year now.

I think Conan is going to surprise this year, I really do. It seem like Buchner is showing flashes of greatness in camp according to reporters and coaches. Pyne is a serviceable player at this point it seems. Clark hasn’t done anything in a few camps that indicate that he’ll be a starter while at ND. We pretty much have Buchner and no one else. I’ve read this past week that Angeli didn’t play well in his camp and his ranking has fallen. I’m shocked that ND is unable to consistently acquire a top 10 or even 15 QB for sure every season.

thoughts?
We are a top three team this year. You blinked.

Bama 31
ND 14

Clemson 28
OSU 49

Bama 52
OSU 24

Ya I guess you have missed the boat on college football today. Our defensea helped get us to the dance but unless you been living in Mars it's beyond obvious that offense gets you the rings. Don't believe me listen to Nick Saban a couple months ago . "I grew up with the idea you must have good defenses to win. You aren't going to win anything now doing that. We changed our philosophy five or six years ago that we have to outscore them" But heck that's just Nick Saban talking. What does he know?

Reactions: HillRock86
Ya I guess you have missed the boat on college football today. Our defensea helped get us to the dance but unless you been living in Mars it's beyond obvious that offense gets you the rings. Don't believe me listen to Nick Saban a couple months ago . "I grew up with the idea you must have good defenses to win. You aren't going to win anything now doing that. We changed our philosophy five or six years ago that we have to outscore them" But heck that's just Nick Saban talking. What does he know?
Nick Saban has recruited the top defensive players over the past five or six years also. He knows it is nice to have a GREAT defense.

Nick Saban has recruited the top defensive players over the past five or six years also. He knows it is nice to have a GREAT defense.
I guess I'm confused. So you're saying Saban doesn't believe his own words? If ND does not revamp its offense and get an elite qb we will not win a NC. Just that simple.

I guess I'm confused. So you're saying Saban doesn't believe his own words? If ND does not revamp its offense and get an elite qb we will not win a NC. Just that simple.
You need both an elite offense and an elite defense to win it all. But if one has to be a bit better than the other, you pick offense all day.

Reactions: Golson5
ESPN just posted a list of who they believe will be CFB's top 100 players in 2021. Spencer Rattler sits at the top of the list:

ND has 3 players in the top 50: Kyle Hamilton (7), Kyren Williams (46) and Michael Mayer (47).

For grins I did a tally of which schools landed players in the top 50. It likely won't be a surprise to anyone that Alabama leads the way with 7 in the top 50. Clemson, OSU and TAMU each have 4. Oklahoma, ND and LSU each have 3. So we are holding our own with most schools (not named Alabama) in getting some elite players, but I tend to agree with others that we have come up short in recruiting elite players at the QB, WR and CB positions.

No it is not just that simple. Oklahoma has had elite QB's and elite offenses and they haven't come close to winning a NC. They never had the defenses that Alabama had.

The winning team the last 7 years has averaged 41 pts, and this is against some of the top defenses (other than Oregon 2014).

I agree with you that today's game is much more centered on the offense, but I would like to see what might happen if you fielded a defense full of studs up and down the lineup and were able to coach them up with a defensive genius. How far can a lights out defense carry you? Some might say that describes Alabama, but I wouldn't agree with that. Alabama certainly has been strong at many positions on defense (especially at linebacker and in the secondary), and Saban is obviously a great defensive coach, but I am thinking something more along the lines of the 1985 Chicago Bears defense. They put a front 7 on the field that was simply better at every position than anyone playing on the other side of the line of scrimmage, and they were coached up by a defensive genius (Buddy Ryan). That front 7 was coming at you and you weren't going to stop them. The Bears defense didn't just beat people that year, they destroyed them (save for the MNF game against the Dolphins). Would that ever work in the college game, or is it simply too hard to get that many great players on the defensive side of the ball all at the same time? I suppose the fact that the Bears couldn't replicate that same success the next season suggests maybe they just caught lightning in a bottle for one magical season. But it was something to watch. I'd love to see someone try that with the college game.

No it is not just that simple. Oklahoma has had elite QB's and elite offenses and they haven't come close to winning a NC. They never had the defenses that Alabama had.
Good point and accurate. When two top teams or elite teams play each other , who has the advantage? The team with a good offense but an outstanding defense? Or, the team with and outstanding offense and a pretty good but not great defense? As with most things somewhere in the middle lies the answer. For me, I would always want a high scoring offense. Who wouldn’t ? That’s not to say a dominant shut down defense wouldn't be a plus. It definitely would. However, given the choice , an elite offense is a must to win it all. While a defense that is good and let’s say can keep the opposition to field goals , would be just enough. It is really hard to have both at the same time. Not impossible, just not likely from most teams. Teams with less talent usually like to spread the field and play matchups. That’s the great equalizer. It’s keep them competitive. At the end of the day, you need to score a good amount of points and be able to stop the other team , at some points in any game in order to win.

Last edited:

So an average defense with a top 3 offense wins every time?

You absolutely have to have a dominant defense in order to win a NC. I don’t care how great your offense is. If you cannot stop anyone, you cannot win. If you can’t stop the run you can’t win.

You mention the past 7 years. First of, 5 of 7 are 2 teams, Bama and Clemson. LSU and OSU are the other two. LSU was filled with NFL talent on defense.

Look at the scores of those games. How many were shoot outs?

2020 54-24 The Bama defense dominated
2019 42-25 LSU dominate defense
2018 44-16 Clemson defense

the winning teams defense shut high powered offenses down.

We were definitely good enough in 18 at corner to win a Title and we have been in other years as well.

We were definitely good enough in 18 at corner to win a Title and we have been in other years as well. We have not been good enough at QB
Yeah thats bullshit. The minute love went out the scored three straight times on one on one coverage twice to his replacement.
Bracy got abused. Names on paper looks great but in reality that team had one elite cornerback that year.

Yeah thats bullshit. The minute love went out the scored three straight times on one on one coverage twice to his replacement.
Bracy got abused. Names on paper looks great but in reality that team had one elite cornerback that year.
No we had 2 really good ones. Pride and Love. Thats good enough to win a title. There's been title teams without good number 3 corners. Bracy didnt even play that game. It was Vaughn and he was playing injured

More Lewis bashing . Shocking. I guess that means we can add him to the list of guys that you insisted weren't good enough. Most of those are collecting NFL paychecks. Gotta be a good sign for Lewis.
I don't get that either. Wasn't he playing as a frosh last year? It can't be saying much for the other guys that couldn't unseat such an inept frosh. I thought he played pretty good all in all, again, as a frosh.

He needs to get more physical but I thought he played long, fluid, smooth, pesky. Unfortunately they can't all be Kyle Hamilton. He will only get better.

Again it’s “ coaching” . The 3 teams that are mentioned have elite coaching. ND does not. In fact most teams do not. ND has good coaching. You can disagree . I don’t care . You have your opinion, I have mine. That’s why I believe ND hasn‘t been able to get to the top tier.
I agree. Kelly is good, he's what we needed after Weis. He has grown but not enough and certainly not fast enough. He did not have the team on fire to get on the field in the CC and CFP. Lou used to have them ready to run through a brick wall by game time. Kelly doesn't possess that motivational managerial skill. Rees as OC is just stupid for a college team like ND. So yea, he's good, not elite.

Reactions: tkirish
I agree. Kelly is good, he's what we needed after Weis. He has grown but not enough and certainly not fast enough. He did not have the team on fire to get on the field in the CC and CFP. Lou used to have them ready to run through a brick wall by game time. Kelly doesn't possess that motivational managerial skill. Rees as OC is just stupid for a college team like ND. So yea, he's good, not elite.
Yeah- a better pregame speech means we woulda beat Bama 🙄

Do you actually follow college football? The days of defense wins championships are over.
Yea, I think Saban said that, as well. You're both wrong. So much depends on so much (as variables like QB ability, time to throw, running, blocking, catching etc.) but, defense will always keep you in a game - if they are good. If the offense struggles or has to press to make plays, TO's happen. Then momentum happens, as the game plays on and the O can't bust through a good defense? Frustration. Don't forget intimidation. How many times do you see the O intimidate the D? Hardly ever. The D players intimidate the O much more. Just think about a violent sack. Or a safety hitting a guy crossing the middle. Laying out a RB. Goal line stand. Meanwhile, a defense can score too.

No saying that by any stretch. We were inferior and the coach ignored that.

"We're gonna take the ball first because that's what I always do. Then we're gonna establish the run just like we did all year vs. the weak ACC teams because it worked against them. And Book will never toss a deep ball while I am here, because I have no faith in his ability to do that. And forget about my creativity. But I may surprise you in going for it on 4th down on my own 33 once in a while."

Lou would've had them crazy to take the field and chances are we would've gotten the same result, but at least the boys would've had more of a fun memory. The players loved the entertainment factor that Lou brought. But what we saw was total defeatism and drudgery on the ND sideline against Alabama.

I'll add this as an edit. He chose to bench Golson after what, 2-3 games(?) and go with a (maybe 3*) QB as a freshman, and sealed his fate for four years. Can you say stubborn? Book was probably perfect as a high school QB. But a starting QB for Notre Dame for four years? As Julia Roberts once said: Big mistake. Big.

Last edited:
I guess you missed last season when Saban said “It used to be good defense beats good offense. Good defense doesn’t beat good offense anymore.”

I don't get that either. Wasn't he playing as a frosh last year? It can't be saying much for the other guys that couldn't unseat such an inept frosh. I thought he played pretty good all in all, again, as a frosh.

He needs to get more physical but I thought he played long, fluid, smooth, pesky. Unfortunately they can't all be Kyle Hamilton. He will only get better.
He is very slow for the position. ND couldn’t hide him vs Clemson and bama. It’s exactly the point of this thread. What’s holding us back vs the elites.
I really hope he proves me wrong despite all practice reports stating he’s getting beat consistently. If Lewis becomes a stud, oh my lord this D!

I care less about about president game speeches then how Kelly prepared a team to play a great opponent with multiples weeks of prep. We have laid eggs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT