ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Out Rest of Spring

You don’t run a QB who is prone to injury, especially with an ankle injury

And, they’re all big games, that schedule isn’t as easy as everyone thinks
Is he prone to injury, or is it that he’s still suffering from one really nasty injury? I thought someone here said he had turf toe but I haven’t seen that anywhere else.

He’s probably going to be running at some point just to avoid the rush. I think it’s worth it to mix in the occasional QB run…he was injured on a pass play against ND. He made it through the 2022 season without injury.

Reactions: Golson5
You don’t run a QB who is prone to injury, especially with an ankle injury

And, they’re all big games, that schedule isn’t as easy as everyone thinks
Yes you do. That's a big part of his game. Thats what makes him really good. He's going to run and he is going to need to run in the big games

Dont act like FSU and Army or NIU are the same because they are not

Running Leonard vs Army Navy etc when we wont need it to win would be stupid and unnecessary. That would be poor coaching and we dont have poor coaches.

He may need to run 12x to win the Louisville or Tx AM game but he won't need to against a lot of teams on the schedule

The coaches know that. They will be smart

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Yes you do. That's a big part of his game. Thats what makes him really good. He's going to run and he is going to need to run in the big games

Dont act like FSU and Army or NIU are the same because they are not

Running Leonard vs Army Navy etc when we wont need it to win would be stupid and unnecessary. That would be poor coaching and we dont have poor coaches.

He may need to run 12x to win the Louisville or Tx AM game but he won't need to against a lot of teams on the schedule

The coaches know that. They will be smart
If Riley is “prone“ to injury, you avoid running him, especially if he’s prone to ankle injuries.

If a player is “ prone” to injuries, especially, foot and ankle injuries, you don’t increase the probability of him injuring himself again and losing him for the season by running him.

For those who don’t understand the logic, it’s called common sense

Last edited:
If Riley is “prone“ to injury, you avoid running him, especially if he’s prone to ankle injuries.

If a player is “ prone” to injuries, especially, foot and ankle injuries, you don’t increase the probability of him injuring himself again and losing him for the season by running him.

Oh so he got hurt once, and now you want him to never run again? You're not serious, you're just trolling right?

And you do realize he got injured while in the pocket, right? Where its easier to get rolled up on.

Should JaDarian Price retire because he tore his achillies? I mean he got injured so he can't run anymore.

Kyler Murray tore his acl in the nfl and came back and still ran but Riley Leonard cant

Some people are just so freaking stupid its comical. Shut up please you are clueless

Oh so he got hurt once, and now you want him to never run again? You're not serious, you're just trolling right?

And you do realize he got injured while in the pocket, right? Where its easier to get rolled up on.

Should JaDarian Price retire because he tore his achillies? I mean he got injured so he can't run anymore.

Kyler Murray tore his acl in the nfl and came back and still ran but Riley Leonard cant

Some people are just so freaking stupid it’s comical. Shut up please you are clueless
“Never running him again” is your incredibly absurd conclusion.

The location where he was injured is irrelevant.

If someone is injury prone and if the injury experiences complications during the recovery period you avoid putting the player at risk in the future.
And if the injury is recurring in nature, you take extra precautions to make sure that you don’t expose the player to a re-injury.

When it comes to medical issues and sports medicine, you’re out of your league when debating with me.

Keep your day job.

Reactions: NDinNJ

If someone is injury prone and if the injury experiences complications during the recovery period you avoid putting the player at risk in the future.
And if the injury is recurring in nature, you take extra precautions to make sure that you don’t expose the player to a re-injury.

When it comes to medical issues and sports medicine, you’re out of your league when debating with me.

Keep your day job.
🤣🤣 that was your retort. You're just really poor at making good points

Yes, you avoid putting players in unnecessary risks

So just like I said from the beginning. There will be certain games (the big ones) that they are going to ask Leonard to run and use his legs to win. There are other games they will tell him not to use his legs as much.

Hes going to be a running threat this year regardless of you think it is a good idea or not. It's just that simple. He is 100% going to be used in the run game thats not even debatable

Keep your day job.
If you were the coach, would you completely forbid calling a run play for Leonard?

Reactions: BGI User 756
If you were the coach, would you completely forbid calling a run play for Leonard?
Where did I imply anything close to that.

Others were counting on his legs.

My position is, if he’s prone to injury I’d limit his running, not emphasize it

It was just a question because you responded to me saying, “do you really want Riley running?” and you’re talking about avoiding running him. You also said, “you don’t run a QB who is prone to injury.” I’m just wondering where the line is.

Neither Golson or I stated how much (other than Golson said he may x12 against Tex AM or Louisville). I simply stated I wanted 4 QB’s so we can have depth and run the QB (without worrying as much about what’s behind the starter).

ND didn’t utilize Hartman much in the run game and probably for good reason. I’d like to see that changed with this year’s QB situation. I see nothing wrong with mixing in a few Leonard runs if he’s the starter.

Pat, you can't teach common sense to imbeciles. 😂

Golson5 takes everything out of context and spins it to serve his narrative. He's a fool though.

It was just a question because you responded to me saying, “do you really want Riley running?” and you’re talking about avoiding running him. You also said, “you don’t run a QB who is prone to injury.” I’m just wondering where the line is.

Neither Golson or I stated how much (other than Golson said he may x12 against Tex AM or Louisville). I simply stated I wanted 4 QB’s so we can have depth and run the QB (without worrying as much about what’s behind the starter).

ND didn’t utilize Hartman much in the run game and probably for good reason. I’d like to see that changed with this year’s QB situation. I see nothing wrong with mixing in a few Leonard runs if he’s the starter.
If you look at college football and the NFL, one thing stands out, it’s almost inevitable that running quarterbacks get injured.

Riley is a proven commodity
The other quarterbacks are mostly unproven
You don’t take your most valuable asset and put them at risk, especially if he’s predisposed and prone to injury.

There’s a reason that Tom Brady played quarterback until he was 45 years of age, and it wasn’t because he was an elusive runner

If you look at college football and the NFL, one thing stands out, it’s almost inevitable that running quarterbacks get injured.

Riley is a proven commodity
The other quarterbacks are mostly unproven
You don’t take your most valuable asset and put them at risk, especially if he’s predisposed and prone to injury.
No one is talking about running him into the ground. I asked if you would forbid running him and you responded, “where did I imply anything close to that.” So that implies you’re okay with running him to a degree. So am I.

No one is talking about running him into the ground. I asked if you would forbid running him and you responded, “where did I imply anything close to that.” So that implies you’re okay with running him to a degree. So am I.
Limited and Situational

The argument or suggestion that Leonard is "injury prone" is a false narrative, IMO. If you look at the play on which he injured his ankle in the game against ND, it isn't too hard to see why he suffered a bad ankle injury. His ankle got rolled up underneath him when Howard Cross brought him down from behind. (And while I am not a rules expert, it looked to me like Cross did a "hip-drop" tackle, which the NFL has now banned due to the high incidence of leg, ankle and knee injuries that it causes.) Leonard's recent surgery is because the ankle hasn't healed fully, not necessarily because he is injury prone. So to make an argument he is "injury prone" based upon a single injury that probably would have injured most players doesn't connect the dots for me.

I agree that it would be foolish to take away a big element of Riley Leonard's game for fear he will injure himself again because he injured his ankle in the game against ND. Injuries are a risk with any QB that runs. I tend to agree with Golson5 that the staff will be smart with those kinds of RPO plays, and I expect Leonard is smart enough that he won't needlessly put himself in harm's way.

Here is video of the play where Leonard was injured against ND, for anyone interested:

It was hardly a freak injury.

Last edited:
The argument or suggestion that Leonard is "injury prone" is a false narrative, IMO. If you look at the play on which he injured his ankle in the game against ND, it isn't too hard to see why he suffered a bad ankle injury. His ankle got rolled up underneath him when Howard Cross brought him down from behind. (And while I am not a rules expert, it looked to me like Cross did a "hip-drop" tackle, which the NFL has now banned due to the high incidence of leg, ankle and knee injuries that it causes.) Leonard's recent surgery is because the ankle hasn't healed fully, not necessarily because he is injury prone. So to make an argument he is "injury prone" based upon a single injury that probably would have injured most players doesn't connect the dots for me.

I agree that it would be foolish to take away a big element of Riley Leonard's game for fear he will injure himself again because he injured his ankle in the game against ND. Injuries are a risk with any QB that runs. I tend to agree with Golson5 that the staff will be smart with those kinds of RPO plays, and I expect Leonard is smart enough that he won't needlessly put himself in harm's way.

Here is video of the play where Leonard was injured against ND, for anyone interested:

It was hardly a freak injury.
Every time a quarterback runs, he runs in harms way

And every time he drops back to pass, he puts himself in harm's way. It is a contact sport. People sometimes get injured. You cannot expect your QB to turn around and hand the ball off on every play.
Tom Brady didn’t play in the NFL for 22 years because he was running the ball

Running QBs don’t last long.

QBs, who are prone to injury who run the ball have an even shorter shelf life.

They run at their own peril

Had you stated this on your 701PM post from Saturday 3/30, maybe your point would have been understood. But you didn’t.
I never stated that a QB should never run the ball

Had you had decent reading comprehension skills you would’ve understood my point

Tom Brady didn’t play in the NFL for 22 years because he was running the ball

Running QBs don’t last long.

QBs, who are prone to injury who run the ball have an even shorter shelf life.

They run at their own peril

Running QBs don't last as long because it is the nature of being a runner, and not necessarily because it causes injury. The age factor and wear and tear on the body is more pronounced with runners. They simply lose speed and the ability to bounce back from getting beaten up week after week, and that makes them less effective at their position, and not necessarily because they are injury prone. The average NFL RB is over the hill at the age of 28. Tom Brady played until he was 45 in part because he didn't expose himself to getting hit as often as a running QB might, but also because he took care of his body. And he likely has good genes. I don't disagree that a running QB has a higher risk of getting hurt, but I don't think you can conclude Riley Leonard is injury prone because of the play he was injured on against ND. And I think it would be foolish to take away a strength of his game for fear he will be injured. You need to be smart about when you run, and who you run against, and when you don't take that risk.

I can't see anybody's ankle surviving that play.
No one on here is saying that. Here is what Im saying, he sustained the right ankle injury in week 5 with ND, he comes back in week 8 and gets a left toe injury. After that he was pretty much done for the year. Has surgery in Jan. and will "supposedly" be back for spring practice. We all know how that turned out. The guy is Mr. Glass. But hey, hes got potential, SMH

Lol, you are such a tool. It’s your written articulation skills that need help.

Evidently, your lack of reading comprehension skills didn’t allow you to understand my position vis-à-vis my reply to Golson5. So I quoted it for you below.

It was Golson5 who made the absurd comment about “never” running him

I thought you told us that you were academically accomplished, I guess that didn’t include common sense

“Never running him again” is your incredibly absurd conclusion.”

No one on here is saying that. Here is what Im saying, he sustained the right ankle injury in week 5 with ND, he comes back in week 8 and gets a left toe injury. After that he was pretty much done for the year. Has surgery in Jan. and will "supposedly" be back for spring practice. We all know how that turned out. The guy is Mr. Glass. But hey, hes got potential, SMH
Chi, not many on this site, understand ankle and foot injuries, and the long-term prognosis for athletes, who play basketball and/or football.

So the question is, do you put them in increased situations where they are more prone to becoming re-injured, or do you judiciously protect them.

I guess that common sense isn’t so common !

Chi, not many on this site, understand ankle and foot injuries, and the long-term prognosis for athletes, who play basketball and/or football.

So the question is, do you put them in increased situations where they are more prone to becoming re-injured, or do you judiciously protect them.

Not on this forum. 😂

Reactions: d1042
Evidently, your lack of reading comprehension skills didn’t allow you to understand my position vis-à-vis my reply to Golson5. So I quoted it for you below.

I thought you told us that you were academically accomplished, I guess that didn’t include common sense

You remain the biggest blowhard on this forum. I specifically cited your 701PM post (didn’t even cite those preceding it that also suggested similar) where you said :

“ You don’t run a QB who is prone to injury, especially with an ankle injury

And, they’re all big games, that schedule isn’t as easy as everyone thinks”

Very specific. Very accurate quotation of your post. And then you pivoted. You then (along with NDinNJ) accused Golson and others of twisting words. And of course you revert to telling everyone how dumb they are, when you are twisting their words, instead of admitting you could have posted better.

Almost makes me feel sad for you…but you are too arrogant and condescending so I don’t. Lol

Golson5 takes everything out of context and spins it to serve his narrative. He's a fool though.
No matter how wrong your boyfriend is you will always stick up for him 🤣🤣🤣

And ge even writea it on dark letters for everyone to see

He clearly was wrong and there's no doubt but you will fight for him. It cracks me up

Stand up for your man I guess

Dak Prescott broke and dislocated his ankle and it was hanging the wrong way. He came back the next year and hasnt been hurt since.

Still runs and moves around

Common sense huh?

Because of your STUPID COMMENTS

And they are in big black bold letters. You cant hide from your moronic comments

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT